Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 05/16/2017)

nvidia web driver updates el capitan 10.11

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts
The app thake the step to edit the Info.plist, repair permissions and "touch" /System/Library/Extensions" causing the prelinkedkernel to be rebuilted. No other operations needed IMHO, unless you have other problems.

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,504 posts

A plist edited in place by sudo has no effect on permissions. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions will update the kernel cache to reflect the change. A reboot will be required before the Web Driver can be selected again.

Micky1979

Micky1979

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts
Right!

Jhero

Jhero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Hey everyone, I've followed the steps to change build number and repair permissions and I see web driver is selected through vnc but I still get no signal on the monitor. Any help?

Micky1979

Micky1979

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts

A plist edited in place by sudo has no effect on permissions. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions will update the kernel cache to reflect the change. A reboot will be required before the Web Driver can be selected again.

sudo is not used by NVIDIA Web Drivers Updater.app. It use a UNIX socket through an XPC connection, and the OS trust the app because is code signed granting its helper tool to execute privileged tasks as root.

jm32589

jm32589

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a 2009 Mac Pro I have installed a modified Nvidia 960 GTX card in, and I installed the Security Update, which of course broke the Nvidia driver.  I tried running both the linked to Nvidia WebDriver Updater as well as the repair permissions, and while I can now select the Nvidia driver, it is still using the OS X driver (slow graphics effects & only 1 screen).  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it actually use the Nvidia driver?  Thanks!

matde

matde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have a Geforce GTX 980 installed in my MacPro 5.1 (2010). I did all the steps mentioned above. Right after that I checked the "prelinkedkernel". It showed date/time just a minute ago. So that looked fine to me. 

Now I could pick the NViDIA Web Driver, rebooted... but my monitor stayed dark. I checked the webdriver preferences and under EEC my GPU is not listed. 

Also very strange: my CUDA wants to be updated. I checked with the NVIDIA website: I'm using the latest version.

Any idea? I'm really desperate, I need my Mac to do my work tomorrow.... thanks!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,087 posts

For me, after installing the newest Sec update, and changed the .plist to 15G1217, rebuild prelinked kernel, my GT 740 works as before (Macpro 2008 + chameleon bootloader)

Perhaps GTX 960/980 is more an "diva" - make more trouble than other gpus - and something other, beside changing .plist for Web driver, is needed?

jm32589

jm32589

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Fun times!

@matde - can you try to plug your monitor into another port?  The one monitor I have that is working is in the HDMI port.

@mitch_de - why do you use chameleon bootloader with your MacPro?

I looked up how to clear out my kext caches build a new prelinked kernel, but when I run the command

kextcache -prelinked-kernel System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K System/Library/Kernels/kernel System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -prelinked-kernel

I get the following error:

NVDAStartupWeb.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

It also mentions: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

So, maybe that's why you're using the chameleon bootloader so you can use unsigned kexts?

This is so frustrating - this is why I spent the extra money to buy a real mac, so I wouldn't have to deal with downtime of my workstation :-/  And here are hackintoshes that are being more reliable! :-)
Granted, Apple never intended me to put a GTX 960 in it, but they haven't released a decent graphics card for them in 239852935 billion years.
The downfall of Apple is well under way. :-P

feishnik

feishnik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Guys, that beta version of nvidia driver works just fine

jm32589

jm32589

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

@feishnik - awesome!!  thank you for mentioning that!  It works perfectly for me again now!

I didn't even think to try it because it was from an even older version, but yay!

Thank you! ^_^

feishnik

feishnik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

@feishnik - awesome!!  thank you for mentioning that!  It works perfectly for me again now!

I didn't even think to try it because it was from an even older version, but yay!

Thank you! ^_^

You're welcome! Hope it will update easily one day

DMCrimson

DMCrimson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Just to let you know: latest update from Apple, "Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update" breaks NVidia Web Drivers totally, machine just does not start. Had to uninstall the drivers totally to boot up properly. And yeah, not on a hackintosh, but an Early 2009 Mini.

bb1045

bb1045

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

New driver for 15g1217 is available. 346.03.15f06

ellaosx

ellaosx

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Just to let you know: latest update from Apple, "Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update" breaks NVidia Web Drivers totally, machine just does not start. Had to uninstall the drivers totally to boot up properly. And yeah, not on a hackintosh, but an Early 2009 Mini.

obviously

DMCrimson

DMCrimson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

obviously

but why would it be obvious? I mean, prior to update above you...

slim.jim

slim.jim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
10.11.6 - 15G1217: https://images.nvidi...46.03.15f06.pkg

DMCrimson

DMCrimson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

bb1045 made it first :D few posts above... But this time I will wait, spent several hours figuring out what was the culprit. Plist edit, reboot (verbose) filled with mdworker sandboxed out of everything and temps jumping to some 70 °C instead of baseline 50 °C (mmkay, baseline used to be 70 °C but I reapplied Arctic Ceramique...) After second reboot with un/installed f05 it was clear path to uninstall and not re. Waiting for feedback this time :D

dovedescent7

dovedescent7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not certain about the drivers from OP but I'm hoping somehow I can get imovie working inside of osx or vm osx with my system.

I have
MSI ge70 20e laptop with i7 4700 and Nvidia Gt 860m
Bios has no option to shut off Gt 860.

Is there any hope to getting imovie to work for me?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,087 posts

Yep, thats "normal", always because Nvidia use that stupid OS version check (inNVStartupWeb, as fixed .plist entry) which make taht kind of trouble - even the "old" driver would run perfekt.

For me, which can also use Apple Drivers (with Kepler GT 740) it is bad, that after updating system (OS version changes) it does NOT use the Apple drivers, the OS try to use the Web drivers,

they fail and an endless loop of blackscreen with the running apple wheel , short before the desktop would come up, starts.

The way how Nvidia implemented the drivers in case of not fitting system version is not intelligent - better would be if the driver "sees" wrong OS version, it boots up in safe mode.

So the user can change or update something insted of black screen/ bootloop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvidia web driver, updates, el capitan, 10.11

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy