[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Is it safe to update to 10.10.4?

Another question. I can't figure out why I don't have brightness options and controls. Is there something I've missed?

Edit: The update seemed to work just fine. Nothing seems broken.

confirm this.  just updated from 10.10.3 -> 10.0.4 via App Store update.  I had to redo the IOUSBFamily.kext mod to get the cover to work.  Also slapped on a few fixes additional to the original page 1 instructions: 

• following upgrade, redo the IOUSB mod
  • update configplist, DSDTs and kexts to panjunwens:             #119            
  • also use kext util to add the kexts to S/L/E and follow up with panjunwens updated AppleHDA.kext and EAPDFix.kext
  • reboot to get working audio, headphones, sensor switching between headphones and speakers (microphone doesn't work on headphones though)
  • display working at 2160 x 1440.  no artefacts

Looking for a little assistance, please... Trying to install a fresh image of 10.10.4 on an i5 SP3. I have made the USB drive per the instructions, but when I go to install, I get hung. I get to the Apple logo and the progress bar goes about 15% and everything stops. I will sometimes get the spinning rainbow ball, and when I press the space bar or return key, the USB's LED will flicker for a second, but nothing else. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Could somebody please make an updated guide with the beginner in mind?

I have it planned for this weekend to update this guide. As a full time graduate student and father I rarely have time for much more than those things. If someone would PM me with what has changed I will fix the front page with the updated information.

confirm this.  just updated from 10.10.3 -> 10.0.4 via App Store update.  I had to redo the IOUSBFamily.kext mod to get the cover to work.  Also slapped on a few fixes additional to the original page 1 instructions: 

• following upgrade, redo the IOUSB mod
  • update configplist, DSDTs and kexts to panjunwens:             #119            
  • also use kext util to add the kexts to S/L/E and follow up with panjunwens updated AppleHDA.kext and EAPDFix.kext
  • reboot to get working audio, headphones, sensor switching between headphones and speakers (microphone doesn't work on headphones though)
  • display working at 2160 x 1440.  no artefacts

Probably an odd question, but how do I update the DSDTs and SSDTs?

Edit: Nevermind, figured that out. But, nothing really works any differently. Put all the kexts back in, updated config.plist and DSDTs. Put the EAPDFix and AppleHDA in. Headphones still don't work. Still no brightness control.

Probably an odd question, but how do I update the DSDTs and SSDTs?

Edit: Nevermind, figured that out. But, nothing really works any differently. Put all the kexts back in, updated config.plist and DSDTs. Put the EAPDFix and AppleHDA in. Headphones still don't work. Still no brightness control.

hmm. You need to remove voodooHDA from /Volumes/YOURMACHDNAME/System/Library/Extensions.  I'm not sure which of this step is necessary but this is what I did to make it work.  install the config.plist, DSDTs and SSDTs and kexts to the appropriate directories and also install the kexts to your /Volumes/YOURMACHDNAME/S/L/E.  make sure you follow up by installing panjunwen's updated (you will find them a few posts later on in the thread) AppleHDA and EAPDfix kexts. Someone recommended removing the existing AppleHDA before installing the new one, but I didn't need to.

Brightness control is apparently linked to one of the cover's function buttons (I don't change my brightness so i'm not sure if that works or not sorry)

hmm. You need to remove voodooHDA from /Volumes/YOURMACHDNAME/System/Library/Extensions.  I'm not sure which of this step is necessary but this is what I did to make it work.  install the config.plist, DSDTs and SSDTs and kexts to the appropriate directories and also install the kexts to your /Volumes/YOURMACHDNAME/S/L/E.  make sure you follow up by installing panjunwen's updated (you will find them a few posts later on in the thread) AppleHDA and EAPDfix kexts. Someone recommended removing the existing AppleHDA before installing the new one, but I didn't need to.

Brightness control is apparently linked to one of the cover's function buttons (I don't change my brightness so i'm not sure if that works or not sorry)

Yeah, VoodooHDA isn't in the extensions folder. I've used Kext Utility for all of panjunwen's kexts plus the AppleHDA and EAPDfix kexts later in the thread. I put all of the DSDTs and SDDTs in the (hopefully) correct folder (which I'm pretty sure is EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, just copy and paste the files in there, correct?). The only thing I wasn't too sure about are the DSDT.dsl and SSDT-5.dsl from panjunwen's post. What do I do with those?

As far as the brightness goes, on my first OS X install on my SP3, there was a way to adjust the brightness tin System Preferences > Displays (or was in Energy Saver? Either way, it was there before). Along with the option to adjust it with the type cover, which also has no effect right now.

I'm probably better off waiting for the updated install guide and just reinstalling the OS.

• Like 1

The only thing I wasn't too sure about are the DSDT.dsl and SSDT-5.dsl from panjunwen's post. What do I do with those?

ah, my bad.  I didn't use those at all.  these fixes seem to be very temperamental.  loads that worked for others didn't work for me.  probably to do with other attempted 'fixes' that mess things up. sorry mate.

Looking for a little assistance, please... Trying to install a fresh image of 10.10.4 on an i5 SP3. I have made the USB drive per the instructions, but when I go to install, I get hung. I get to the Apple logo and the progress bar goes about 15% and everything stops. I will sometimes get the spinning rainbow ball, and when I press the space bar or return key, the USB's LED will flicker for a second, but nothing else. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I figured it out... I also learned to read better...

In "Step 3: Installing OS X Yosemite", step 7 says ends with pressng SPACE. That is important. I was pressing ENTER. That prevents the installer from performing step 8. ALSO, Step 9 can be changed to 'Press Space', so we don't have to wait.

On a side note, I would recommend that the "optional" USB hub, keyboard, and mouse not be "optional".

I look forward to more updates and great I formation. I am still installing, but really excited about the great work here!!!

TexasEric and bennyprofane, thanks for your input thus far, but we really need your surface pro profile pictures updated for team comaradery... please forward this to other bros who are working to create a one click installer of OSX on the surface to run it like VMWare... with the choice of booting up straight into OSX also..

what are you working on for the project beeny?

who is the team lead for this, i need a research topic... if i instal it and the bluetooth doesnt have the drivers/kexts set uo, i wont have an input ability.. only have bt and wifi mouse.. maybe the wf mouse will work.. but how hard is uit to compile the bt and wifi and ts kexts into a bloddy exe?!! in the meantime can we make a bootable usb with powerISO or daemon tools as opposed to clover??

/>?

TexasEric and @stevebramster, what are you guys doming so i can help organise this project better?

what are you working on for the project beeny?

who is the team lead for this, i need a research topic... if i instal it and the bluetooth doesnt have the drivers/kexts set uo, i wont have an input ability.. only have bt and wifi mouse.. maybe the wf mouse will work.. but how hard is uit to compile the bt and wifi and ts kexts into a bloddy exe?!! in the meantime can we make a bootable usb with powerISO or daemon tools as opposed to clover??

/>?

TexasEric and @stevebramster, what are you guys doming so i can help organise this project better?

You might need to calm down a bit mate.  Excited is ok, but just wind it down a bit.  Some of the things you're looking for aren't going to happen:  1 - there's never going to be an exe.  that's for winblows, all the mods to make this work happen in OSX.  2 - others might feel differently, but OSX installed on a VM is not a hackintosh, so i'm not sure anyone on this thread is working towards that.  There ARE other sites and threads about doing a Yosemite VM.  have a look at those if that's what you want to do.  3 - All the people (not me) that are working on parts of this stuff have been doing so for the better part of a year, generously in their own time.  If you're hanging out for info, follow the thread previous posts to see where else the real contributors are discussing their progress.  

• Like 1

Please do post a detailed outline/ guide. Awesome job.

:) I have a suggestion and request. 

Being able to Install OSX to a .VHD and Boot from it. Native Boot from VHD is amazing. Put the VHD on or take it out..  No partitioning headaches. 

Could somebody who understands all these things please send LonelyTV a list of all the updates so that he can update the guide?

TexasEric and bennyprofane, thanks for your input thus far, but we really need your surface pro profile pictures updated for team comaradery... please forward this to other bros who are working to create a one click installer of OSX on the surface to run it like VMWare... with the choice of booting up straight into OSX also..

Please stop asking for an update to the guide, it's already a really good thing!

And please remember that running an hackintosh isn't a one click on an exe file thing at all!

And InsanelyMac isn't the place to download that exe!

Instead, this forum is a massive collection of know-how that everyone should use to learn helping each other finding possible solutions.

P.s.

This topic is about native installation if you wanna discuss about fancy VM stuff use the Virtual Machine section, not the tablet one!

• Like 1

Hey everyone...I just started reading into this thread and am extremely excited about trying to mod my SP3 into Hackintosh. Excellent work on this LonelyTV! I was wondering about the following: 

1. How well does the SP3 from a stability and performance stand point?

2. What kind of a battery life will I have with it? 

3. Are the DSDT/SSDT settings fairly universal across this thread? I was thinking theoretically they systems are fairly identical with the exceptions of processor (i3, i5, and i7) and SSD size (128gb, 256 gb, etc). DSDT editing is something that I am fairly weak, but was looking to learn more about it if anyone has any pointers. Is there a standing set of DSDTs that people are using with this build? 

This isn't my first trip to the hackintosh rodeo and am looking forward at giving this a go. Thanks for any help you guys can give me with this!

• 2 weeks later...

Argh... I've got everything setup properly last night, but updated to 10.10.4. Now I just realized that the update seemed to have screwed up my Type Cover trackpad. Instead of behaving as a normal trackpad should, it now behaves as if it's a touchscreen (i.e. the upper-left corner of the trackpad corresponds to the upper-left corner of the screen, etc.) This made it almost impossible to click on anything after I've painstaking gotten my cursor pointing at the correct spot.

Anyone have a fix to this?

In the meantime, I've also got a Linksys AE3000 (seems to be running the Ralink RT2870 chipset, but haven't been able to get it working for more than a few minutes. It'll remain "connected" after that but I can get no traffic. Anyone has a way to get it to work, or advise me on which wireless/Bluetooth dongle works on Yosemite 10.10.4?

Thanks.

Argh... I've got everything setup properly last night, but updated to 10.10.4. Now I just realized that the update seemed to have screwed up my Type Cover trackpad. Instead of behaving as a normal trackpad should, it now behaves as if it's a touchscreen (i.e. the upper-left corner of the trackpad corresponds to the upper-left corner of the screen, etc.) This made it almost impossible to click on anything after I've painstaking gotten my cursor pointing at the correct spot.

Anyone have a fix to this?

In the meantime, I've also got a Linksys AE3000 (seems to be running the Ralink RT2870 chipset, but haven't been able to get it working for more than a few minutes. It'll remain "connected" after that but I can get no traffic. Anyone has a way to get it to work, or advise me on which wireless/Bluetooth dongle works on Yosemite 10.10.4?

Thanks.

g'day mate.  same thing happened to me.  Just do "Step 4a: Modifying ISOUSBFamily.kext for a working Type Cover" again (from the original guide, step 4).  it happens anyway from time to time, usually when i've tried installing some kexts that haven't worked well.  a reboot has usually fixed it.

i've been using an ASUS nano wifi dongle. https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/USBN10_NANO/

• 2 weeks later...