[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

@stevebramley got it working by installing to an external drive and then running the install from that drive after erasing Yosemite :)

My camera is not working either. Got type cover working as well as the resolution at 1440x960 HiDPi. The things that don't seem to work are the panda wireless receiver (maybe 10.10 drivers are not compatible?) and the camera

@Khaliljvd yeah i couldn't seem to get any panda stuff running.  its just realtek drivers, but they don't seem to have updated for 10.11.  Glad you got it running!

Guys, 

if any with a SP3 and some spare time (about half an hour) could go to alex's thread on Gitter, it'd be great to get your output variables so he can compile some quantitive data. My SP3 appears to be handling variable addresses differently to another person's SP3.  Go here please: https://gitter.im/alexandred/VoodooI2C

Anybody have thoughts on the surface pro 4? Possibie hackintosh in the future? Thinking of upgrading, but now that I've gotten use too having this setup on my SP3. I might wait and just get that docking device and keyboard.

GBU521 - IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 still works on 11.11

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY

One important point, the USB needs to be formatted into GUID partition (using disk utility) or else clover will not install properly therefore you will not be able to boot the usb on the surface pro 3! I thought I would add it because it was not covered in the main guideline and will be useful for people having issues with booting into clover/usb/yosemite setup the first time.

@LonelyTV, anyone -- Could you please share the DSDT and SSDT patches that you used separately? I'm having a ton of problems with these files (SP3 i3 OSX 10.11), unfortunately. No matter what I do I can't get the battery working with DSDT and SSDT I pulled with clover. The SP3 battery patch or any other relevant battery patch don't work either, they might've worked for 10.10, idk :D Thanks for these files and the guide, it gave great info on what to do!

Also, it works the best for me with these UEFI drivers only:
FSInject-64.efi

HFSPlus.efi

NTFS.efi

OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

And these kexts:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext -- works if I use LonelyTV's SSDT & DSDT, but they give me graphics issues and kernel panics

FakePCIID.kext

FakeSMC.kext -- from newest hwensors package from sourceforge, older versions spammed logs and just didn't work too well

IntelBacklight.kext

IOUSBFamily.kext -- Type cover fix added, OS X 10.11. Thanks stevebramley!

Asus USB-N13 B1 WiFi kext

Audio doesn't work either. Investigating. 

So there has been significant progress in getting touch to work on the Surface Pro 3. We now have 3 different tablet devices (including SP3) confirmed working with VoodooI2C. See for yourself:

On top of that, the stylus works as well! Right now, it is fairly responsive but not as good as it could be. There are still many, many things that need to be done before we can even consider a proper public release. However, @julianjc84 has been kind enough to offer support for people who want to TEST a very pre-alpha version of this. I must stress that this is a pre-alpha and I personally will not be offering support and it is NOT designed for everyday use. I would recommend that once you test it, you remove it to prevent it from possibly breaking your install (I doubt it but always safe than sorry). Once more: this is not release standard, beware!

You can contact @julianjc84 in the following gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/julianjc84/jc84_SP3_hookups

Please do not share the files outside of the gitter chatroom. I do not want this buggy kext to be floating around the internet. I trust you guys to do the right thing.

I, as usual, can always be found in https://gitter.im/alexandred/VoodooI2Cfor discussions related to the driver (and not to SP3 specific queries). The project, as it stands, is currently on hold as I have started grad school and have no time to work on it. I anticipate that we will have a proper release next year but don't hold me to it :)

So following the tutorial and using the files as of yesterday, I got typecover working (even after 10.11.1 update), and everything else excepting : wifi, bluetooth and touchscreen of course.

Most of all -> sound works great (microphone, and speakers) but audio output (jack) doesn't work. Anyone know anything about that ? impossible ? on work ?

I wanted ask you, is there somewhere someone thinking about the wifi situation ? Would someone be interested to have a look in it (someone with a bit of experience, i don't :) ) ?

And also, two things : i wanted know if someone :

- has also sometime the trackpad that is reckoned as multitouch and using two fingers would detect and show in screen two fingers ?

- has fixed the second stage boot glitches ?

After complete boot, and with the color scheme told about, no problems at all for me.
Only problem is wifi speed with my {censored} usb adapter.

Will buy tomorrow apple ethernet adapter to test if it works both on windows and mac. Would be perfect.

I wanted ask you, is there somewhere someone thinking about the wifi situation ? Would someone be interested to have a look in it (someone with a bit of experience, i don't :) ) ?

After complete boot, and with the color scheme told about, no problems at all for me.

Only problem is wifi speed with my {censored} usb adapter.

Will buy tomorrow apple ethernet adapter to test if it works both on windows and mac. Would be perfect.

Hi Meu

well done on getting set up.  I think the wifi/bluetooth issue is dependent on getting control of the i2c bus which is included in the touchscreen work being done as mentioned in earlier posts. once that's figured out, I think wifi and bluetooth will be solved without having to resort to usb dongles.  i've not had any trouble with a whole range of usb dongles for wifi.  currently using TPLink and ASUS nano dongles with no trouble, but require installation of the Wireless Network Utility (part of the RTL8153 driver install).  I did read somewhere on the net someone claimed to be using a usb dongle with the native network management but I can't seem to find it anymore.  might have been a panda wifi dongle.

I'm curious, with your 10.11 install, do your front and rear cameras work?  actually, i'm just assuming you have a SP3.  did you install to an SP3?  if so, and your cameras are working.  can you tell me what you did?

Hi Meu

well done on getting set up.  I think the wifi/bluetooth issue is dependent on getting control of the i2c bus which is included in the touchscreen work being done as mentioned in earlier posts. once that's figured out, I think wifi and bluetooth will be solved without having to resort to usb dongles.  i've not had any trouble with a whole range of usb dongles for wifi.  currently using TPLink and ASUS nano dongles with no trouble, but require installation of the Wireless Network Utility (part of the RTL8153 driver install).  I did read somewhere on the net someone claimed to be using a usb dongle with the native network management but I can't seem to find it anymore.  might have been a panda wifi dongle.

I'm curious, with your 10.11 install, do your front and rear cameras work?  actually, i'm just assuming you have a SP3.  did you install to an SP3?  if so, and your cameras are working.  can you tell me what you did?

wifi/bt is independent of I2C. The drivers that need to be ported for WiFi are here: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/wireless/mwifiex. It is unlikely that anyone will ever port these drivers as networking devices are extremely complicated. That said, we have a Patreon running (https://www.patreon.com/voodooi2c) to possibly get 1 or 2 SP3's for the devs of VoodooI2C. If it is successful and I have access to an SP3, I may consider porting the wifi drivers. Bluetooth would be very easy to sort out but I need access to an SP3 to do it. Maybe a project for next summer :)

wifi/bt is independent of I2C.

ahh my misunderstanding.  thanks for clarifying Alex.   I'd be happy to support the project financially but it'd need to be with some sound project management around it and earlier deliverable goals, rather than just an open ended monthly funding.  I think by next summer, i'll probably be using something other than a SP3.  Not knocking you or the fantastic work you guys are doing at all.  its awesome and very much appreciated.

ahh my misunderstanding.  thanks for clarifying Alex.   I'd be happy to support the project financially but it'd need to be with some sound project management around it and earlier deliverable goals, rather than just an open ended monthly funding.  I think by next summer, i'll probably be using something other than a SP3.  Not knocking you or the fantastic work you guys are doing at all.  its awesome and very much appreciated.

I totally understand. This is just an experiment and no one has been charged yet. It definitely won't be a monthly thing. If it reaches the goal amount, we'll charge once and then close the Patreon. If not, we'll just close it. It's the only way I can see us getting all the drivers done on the SP3 as there hasnt been anyone with one who has come forward (or is experienced enough) and offered to work on porting things.

I totally understand. This is just an experiment and no one has been charged yet. It definitely won't be a monthly thing. If it reaches the goal amount, we'll charge once and then close the Patreon. If not, we'll just close it. It's the only way I can see us getting all the drivers done on the SP3 as there hasnt been anyone with one who has come forward (or is experienced enough) and offered to work on porting things.

say no more.  i'm in!  :)

Will the VoodooI2C drivers work with a Goodix touch panel?

I'm considering buying the Onda V919 Core M, which has this touch panel.

Seems like its an I2C device but not an i2c-hid device. The drivers are being written specifically for those kinds of devices. There is someone in the gitter chat (@coolstar) who just bought a chromebook with an i2c device that isnt hid and he'll be working on adding support for it to VoodooI2C so it might be worth talking to him.

Of course, we'd need to see the DSDT to be 100% sure.

Thanks Alex. I've asked owners on other forums to share their DSDT. I've done some digging around and found that the driver name in Windows is "Goodix Touch HID". I know we'll need the DSDT to be sure, but that makes me think it's possible it may be an i2c-hid device. Hopefully I can get my hands on the DSDT to know for sure.

And what about the SD Card Reader ? Hard to make it work under OS X ?

No it worked a treat under 10.10.x but in 10.11 its dead as a doornail. :(

Also i'm finding my video display is a bit messed up mostly around shadows.  if I change the display resolution to the HiDPI options it cleans up, then I reset it back to 2160 x 1440 and there's no flaws until I boot again.

Seems like its an I2C device but not an i2c-hid device. The drivers are being written specifically for those kinds of devices. There is someone in the gitter chat (@coolstar) who just bought a chromebook with an i2c device that isnt hid and he'll be working on adding support for it to VoodooI2C so it might be worth talking to him.

Of course, we'd need to see the DSDT to be 100% sure.

An Onda v919 Core M owner at xda-developers was kind enough to share his device's DSDT. Would this work with the voodooi2c drivers being developed?

onda_v919_core_m_dsdt.aml.zip

An Onda v919 Core M owner at xda-developers was kind enough to share his device's DSDT. Would this work with the voodooi2c drivers being developed?

As I suspected, it is an i2c device but not i2c-hid. Windows probably has its own HID wrapper for this device. The linux kernel drivers for this device are here: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c. The good news is that those drivers wouldn't be too difficult to port but that's something you'd probably have to do yourself. I wouldn't recommend getting this tablet if you plan on using OS X on it (not to mention the WiFi card probably won't work either).