Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW8600

Benjudas

93 posts in this topic

No problems on the Windows side so I have no reason to suspect bad CPUs.

Another interesting find-- I am able to install Mountain Lion and use without problems (no audio though). It did not like my dual CPUs I had before.

I find it fascinating that Mavericks had no trouble with mismatched stepping CPUs but now has trouble with ones that do match.

I tried a fresh install of Mavericks and I'm seeing the same instability. 

Okay, I have to backpedal a little bit. The longer I started working with the Mountain Lion system, it too would start to become unstable.

So I to decided to start over again, this time going back to Mavericks. I still used the Unib**** method since myHack Mavericks does not boot for me. I installed kexts a few at a time to see if one of them might trigger the instability. I have installed most of the kexts and the system is stable now. I stopped short of FakeSMC and IONetworkingFamily. Mavericks has IONetworkingFamily at the same version as the one in your archive but with a newer date than yours. Does this mean yours is patched? Yours is also slightly larger in byte size. What is this kext used for, by the way? I seem to be able to perform network file mapping just fine without adding your kext. Related to Ethernet or other networking functions?

The other thing I have not yet done yet is install a bootloader. So all other settings are coming from what is built into the Unib**** USB boot drive. I know that the Chimera is based on 2.2svn r2378 so perhaps that is the Chameleon version I should use? The Chameleon settings aren't that different than what I was using before the new CPUs but perhaps it is something in smbios? The USB booter uses a "generic" one I believe I read somewhere.

Judging by the change log/release notes for Chameleon, there is a lot more going on than just what is visible in the settings file. Perhaps there is something that relates to my new CPUs and I need to be sure I have the right version. 2377 may not be the right one, but if you have Exxxx CPUs also, I do not know mine would be a problem.

post-1542989-0-32099000-1438371764_thumb.png

post-1542989-0-83180900-1438371772_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have been late in posting my update.

I installed the same recommended bootloader and the problem returns. Unfortunately, I cannot pin down the cause of the system lockups. It does not seem to matter what kexts I have or have not added.

If I continue to use the USB boot drive and select either Mavericks or Mountain Lion, the system boots fine and is stable!

I hate to ask this question, but what is Unib**** doing that am I unable to reproduce with an installed bootloader? I compared everything I could think of.

• 3 weeks later...

Benjudas? I haven't heard from you a while. Still busy with work?

I've posted on a couple of other forums about this latest problem and have not received any responses. Compared to everything else thus far, I was expecting something obvious on this one.

I should mention I achieved similar stability using the MyHack (for Mountain Lion) USB boot drive...but then, I can only use that to boot my ML partition.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Finally I managed to install 10.9.2 Mavericks on my HP XW8600 workstation.

Everything works except the graphics power management (AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext).

The installation method I followed is ##### with 10.9.1 installed without problems and combo update to 10.9.2, where I had to make a rollback of ACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from 10.9.1.

The news is that I managed to run the original AppleHDA.kext with patch for ALC262 and some modifications in Platforms and Layout28 ping config, and activated through HDAEnabler.kext. You need to boot with -f boot flag to sound detected correctly. This is due to an IRQ conflict.

The network works with BCM722D.kext of Adlan, the problem is that after sleeping no network. I have solved this with SleepWatcher 2.2 and editing these scripts:

rc.sleep:

sudo ifconfig en0 down

sudo ifconfig en1 down

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext

rc.wake:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext

sudo ifconfig en0 up

sudo ifconfig en1 up

The SAS works with a simple modification in the hardware id of the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext info.plist.

The SATA works thanks AHCIPortIjector.kext and in my case I selected in the BIOS menu the Raid-AHCI mode to get 6 ports working because I have a PCI card with ASMedia1062 Chipset, but you may need separate IDE setting if you haven't this card (only 4 ports).

Sleep is working even waking from USBs, but when I wake, external disks are ejected. I solved this with an application called "Jettison".

I am currently trying to refine the installation through DSDT and I got a DSDT (solved HDA IRQs conflict and HDAEnabler no more needed) that works without Sleep. I include it on files, any help will be appreciated.

I know that it isn't perfect installation, but it works.

Thanks to everyone that make this possible (Adlan, Toleda, Netkas, etc).

Sorry about my english.

I still can't get SAS to work... OS 10.9

Installed with myhack method using other kexts for audio and network.

did myfix full twice and even reset with -f -v but no luck!

Any ideas?? Best!!

Found out what I needed from the USB boot drive:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Installed to both Mavericks and Mointain Lion systems and there are no more lockups.

I understand I wouldn't need this if I were using a DSDT.

Sure could use some help with making that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I've got XW8600 with 10.10.5. Whole system is stable, but a little laggy. All system log is filled with "WindowServer[170]: Surface test allowed updates after 35 attempts". Anyone knows the fix?

Can anyone got DSDT patches for this motherboard?

-- 

marceli

Installed with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on Chameleon & few kexts. FW, RAID, USB, Eth is OK.

On 10.1 system wasn't laggy and AUDIO was woking, but... I've wished to update to 10.2... Sucks to be me :)

I believe lag isn't version problem, but system/DSDT one.

To make system proper sleep, DSDT mast be patched (my is not, that's the quest). 

GT620, X5260

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I've got XW8600 with 10.10.5. Whole system is stable, but a little laggy. All system log is filled with "WindowServer[170]: Surface test allowed updates after 35 attempts". Anyone knows the fix?

Can anyone got DSDT patches for this motherboard?

-- 

marcelek

I'm supposed to be getting one of those workstation soon i couldn't resist it since it'll come with 32gb of ram.. I'm going to be putting to x5450 cpus on it, would you mind pointing me which direction you went in order to get 10.10.5 Yosemite to run? Vanilla installer or distros? 

Blaggah, if you read through this thread, you will see all that was necessary to get to the point where I am now. It is still not quite complete, but I am really close. I would need to have a DSDT created in order to enable HDMI audio and I have no clue how to create/edit DSDT files.

Please also note this thread is about getting Mavericks to work on the xw8600. Getting Yosemite going might be more of an undertaking. When I tried the installation, I could not get a stable system out of it, but all it might take is the right kexts. I would strongly suggest starting a new thread for Yosemite on the xw8600.

One last thing-- I cannot recommend the use of X5450 CPUs. I started with those and ended up switching to E5450s because they consume less power and run cooler. The X5450s just run way too hot in my opinion. If you do use them, make sure they have matched stepping values.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

You need to install, at least, IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext for boot normally. Both are rollback from 10.9.1, that are old kext, but they are needed for boot correctly.

About chameleon, you do not need the last version for Mavericks. Chameleon is updating constantly for new mobos and Yosemite. The 2377 version is the last one that support Mavericks perfectly. The next one (2378) is the first one that support Yosemite. I told you that I use 2538, but it was a mistake. I use 2377, and it detects both processors, memory, and graphics perfectly.

Here you have the rest of kexts updated to 10.9.5.

They are for Audio, Lan, and SAS.

I never upload this kexts because no one ask me.

Hope it help you.

Good hack!

Great, just what i was looking for?  Do you think those kexts will work with Yosemite 10.10.5 with Clover bootloader?

Mine came with one x5440 chip and I upgraded to x5670 x2. Do you think you could compile a dsdt for my system for me? 

• 4 weeks later...

Installed with ##### on Chameleon & few kexts. FW, RAID, USB, Eth is OK.

On 10.1 system wasn't laggy and AUDIO was woking, but... I've wished to update to 10.2... Sucks to be me :)

I believe lag isn't version problem, but system/DSDT one.

To make system proper sleep, DSDT mast be patched (my is not, that's the quest). 

GT620, X5260

I got one of these beasts, specs are quite standard: 2x Xeon x5450, 32GB RAM, 2x 2TB WD Green, chipset Intel 5400. Chameleon bootloader saved on EFI partition. I added one graphics card which is said to work OOB with 10.10.5, Sapphire Radeon R9 280x VaporX 3GB. Vanilla install....Unfortunately there is NO WAY to get over the safe mode, if I boot normally I only get grey screen and spinning beach ball. Please help explaining your method and supplying list of kext/DSDT, I'm banging my head against the wall since three weeks.

Your lagging issue could be due to NVIDIA card, I changed several (GTX285, GTS250, GTX750ti....); I could reach desktop in normal mode without -x but all of them gave errors in WindowServer, GPUrestart or the dreaded NVDA Channel Exception or FIFO error 8, which nobody ever came close to solve.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I fortunately never saw that message with my xw8600. I was able to get a factory CPU heatsink/cooler to match the existing one when I decided to upgrade to dual processors.

What heatsink are you using? Too bad you already got new CPUs, I have mine (and the second cooler) up for sale. My CPUs are the more energy efficient 3.0GHz variety (look at my sig).

I no longer have the xw8600, by the way. I found a good deal on a REAL 2009 Mac Pro.

• 1 month later...