Hi guys, I got something useful for us which needs further investigation, especially for users of AMD Switchable Graphics
I kind of .... got it working ...manually though. Since I am no programmer I need one of you experts to check this out.
So I was playing around ANV's Fixedid app. I use Clover now and I have AMD 6490m/intel hd 3000 graphics in my system. Following are the steps that I used for this to work.
1) I copied the 6490 rom to clover in the EFI partition. That got my system to recognise my card as AMD 6470m 1024mb graphics. In my case the ROM is used just contained information about the Card. It did not have any info about the connectors except that the card used the Ipomoea fb.
2) I selected load vbios in clover. Also, selecting the Patch VBIOS option in clover is necessary too for this to work.
3) I set the Correct Framebuffer for my AMD card. I stumbled onto this because I changed my fb from Hydrilla to Ipomoea. Getting the correct fb is paramount to this working.
3) We need ANV's DisplayMergeNub.kext. Without it this just doesn't work. Delete any previous versions of the kext, wipe caches etc and follow the above steps.. Restart. Create the kext with ANV's FixEDID app.
4) Install the kext and wipe caches etc and restart.
5) Upon restart Both my cards are detected as working. I am posting screenshots below.
6) In order to get my AMD working, I just go to system preferences and select "mirroring" and now I just change displays between the 2 internal LCD's and I get AMD to work!
7) This sticks even after a restart! I just checked.
8) However, what must be noted is that the card is only functional in mirror mode. Novabench detects my card as AMD 6470m 1024MB graphics, but benching scores are the same.
Thats why i said this needs more investigation.
My BIOS on my hp dv6 does not allow me to disable either card. The option for Fixed/Dynamic exists only for show in BIOS. This discovery just happened by accident.
THE point is that an user no longer needs to go into the BIOS to enable/deisbale either graphics card, I just select it within Mavericks and whatever selection I make sticks.
This works only with CLOVER + mergedisplaynub.kext from ANV's Fixedid app
@bcc9 any ideas?