Cardbus/PCMCIA Controller ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12

solu

421 posts in this topic

Thanks again, Turbo50t :)

hmmm, I think I missed that part..would you please show me how can I do that?

I'm not very good at hex so, detailed instruction would be much appreciated.

With a hex editor open IOPCCardFamily file which is in the MacOS folder and repaced the name of a similar TI bridge with "xx12" or whatever yours is, so that it is correctly recognized

Fourth (important): Used a hex editor to edit the device ID into the binary driver. Important: device ID "8039" becomes hex "3980".

This is per the original Authors instructions, I didn't have to do this for mine as I used WonderGods Kext which other than the memory and I/O windows matched mine. So all I had to do was change the memory and I/O.

WondeGod if your reading this maybe you can expound on this.

My Card Slot is recognized now, but the PCMCIA card that I am trying to get working is not yet functional 100%.

Which is a seperate problem.

Someone said that MacDrive didn't work under XP, do this, with Acrois or Partition magic give the Mac partition a drive letter, reboot and your MacDrive should now see your Mac partition. Also before you do that make sure that MacDrive is set as active, it can be turned off. I had to do the first example to get MacDrive to work with XP.

Bug's is right, I test all my new kext's this way.

Recheck your work and be double, double sure of your entries as one misplaced character will screw things up. I am not sure what you ment when you said "I edited in my serial", you don't edit your serial into any of the files, so don't quite know what you did there. You have to hex edit you DEV ID into the driver, but you have to flip the pairs ie....let's say your device as reported by windows is DEV_0x1234, you would hex edit this into the binary driver as 3412 so in other words 1234 becomes 3412 in hex. Leave the 0x off if that is how windows displayed your Dev ID. Mine is displayed as 8031 so I have to hex edit 3180 into the driver file.

Whoops, I meant DevID.

I'll look it over a few times. Thanks for the advice!

TP

Someone said that MacDrive didn't work under XP, do this, with Acrois or Partition magic give the Mac partition a drive letter, reboot and your MacDrive should now see your Mac partition. Also before you do that make sure that MacDrive is set as active, it can be turned off. I had to do the first example to get MacDrive to work with XP.

Bug's is right, I test all my new kext's this way.

The drive letter won't stay for some reason. I've tried giving it a letter in Acronis Disk Director before I've booted any OSs (via Acronis OS Selector) and it's not even an option then. Any ideas?

Also - MacOSX is a primary drive. Would this have any effect on its visibility?

Thanks,

TP

I just opened IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily with hex editor, 0xed.

I can see that TI 7420(my pccard controller, devID ac8e) is in there but just can't figure out what to do.

Can someone help me out, please? :D

I just opened IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily with hex editor, 0xed.

I can see that TI 7420(my pccard controller, devID ac8e) is in there but just can't figure out what to do.

Can someone help me out, please? :D

Check your PM

This is my PCMCIA info:

0000:09:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8039

Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 81e6

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 201

Memory at de006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=09, secondary=0a, subordinate=0d, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000

I/O window 0: 00005000-000050ff

I/O window 1: 00005400-000054ff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

After I replace my edited IOPCCardFamily.kext it "Failed to start"

Then I replace Bugs' IOPCIFamily.kext. From -v boot parameter, it seems that now it can reconize my xx12, But the system hang, couldnt continue.

here is where it stopped ~ anyone knows why?>

http://www3.sympatico.ca/fatcatxp/osx.JPG

Whoops, I meant DevID.

I'll look it over a few times. Thanks for the advice!

TP

Where did you hex edit the DEV ID into? I'm not talking about TI xx12. And if you did hex edit the DEV ID into the right file, did you make sure and reverse the pairs..if yours say is 1234 you would hex edit it as 3412.

The drive letter won't stay for some reason. I've tried giving it a letter in Acronis Disk Director before I've booted any OSs (via Acronis OS Selector) and it's not even an option then. Any ideas?

Also - MacOSX is a primary drive. Would this have any effect on its visibility?

Thanks,

TP

May be the problem, my primary is XP.

I set up all my partitions as primary when I partitioned them.

Where did you hex edit the DEV ID into? I'm not talking about TI xx12. And if you did hex edit the DEV ID into the right file, did you make sure and reverse the pairs..if yours say is 1234 you would hex edit it as 3412.

I actually used Bugs' IOPCCardFamily driver file from the MacOS folder inside the Contents folder of IOPCCardFamily.kext - I did a compare between that file and mine in HexEdit and it replaced TI 7610 (I think) with TI xx12. Bugs' file also edited the "39 80" in... that's my Dev ID (8039). So it should work. But it isn't, at least not with the 10.4.4 IOPCIFamily.kext. I'm going to try it with the 10.4.6 kext and see if it works.

TP

I actually used Bugs' IOPCCardFamily driver file from the MacOS folder inside the Contents folder of IOPCCardFamily.kext - I did a compare between that file and mine in HexEdit and it replaced TI 7610 (I think) with TI xx12. Bugs' file also edited the "39 80" in... that's my Dev ID (8039). So it should work. But it isn't, at least not with the 10.4.4 IOPCIFamily.kext. I'm going to try it with the 10.4.6 kext and see if it works.

TP

Did you also use the IOPCCard.kext from 10.4.4 that he included? If you did, try using your original one, If you didn't copy the 10.4.4 kext into your extentions folder and see if that works. As long as you used PLE to edit the info.plist with your memory and I/O window values, then it should be working.

TP

It looks like I have same problem with you Treasureplane. The system hang after I replace 10.4.4 IOPCIFamily.kext.

This is my PCMCIA info:

0000:09:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8039

Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 81e6

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 201

Memory at de006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=09, secondary=0a, subordinate=0d, sec-latency=176

Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000

I/O window 0: 00005000-000050ff

I/O window 1: 00005400-000054ff

After I replace my edited IOPCCardFamily.kext it "Failed to start"

Then I replace Bugs' IOPCIFamily.kext. From -v boot parameter, it seems that now it can reconize my xx12, But the system hang, couldnt continue.

here is where it stopped ~ anyone knows why?>

http://www3.sympatico.ca/fatcatxp/osx.JPG

Did you also use the IOPCCard.kext from 10.4.4 that he included? If you did, try using your original one, If you didn't copy the 10.4.4 kext into your extentions folder and see if that works. As long as you used PLE to edit the info.plist with your memory and I/O window values, then it should be working.

Okay, to recap:

The first time I tried this, I used both of Bugs' kexts. It recognized my card but hung.

The second time, I used the IOPCIFamily.kext that Bugs took from 10.4.4 and edited my IOPCCardFamily.kext, using my computer's memory and I/O windows in Info.plist. I also used Bugs' IOPCCardFamily/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily file, as a comparison in HexEdit showed that it had been edited the way I needed it to be edited already. (With TI xx12 in place of TI 7610 and with 39 80 in the two places it needed to be, that is.) Same problem, the card was recognized but the system hung.

The third time, I didn't change the IOPCIFamily.kext from the one installed with 10.4.6, but I did use my modified IOPCCardFamily.kext (with the mem/IO edits and the Bugs-edited IOPCCardFamily driver file). Card failed to be recognized.

So it seems like the variable here is the IOPCIFamily.kext. The older version leaves me hanging, the new version fails me. I have no idea what to do next... :)

TP

Hi all,

I have Tecra A7 and Windows reports VEN_104 and DEV_8039, so I've made changes (except hexedit binary file) but I got message during startup:

IOPPCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI xx12 rev 00

and my system hangs after that.

Anyone know such a situation?

p.s.

Where/How can I find string that should be hexedited in binary file? (I use HexEdit)

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Mariuxz, double check your vendor code, I'm not sure but I thought vendor and dev codes were 4 digits in length?

Okay, to recap:

The first time I tried this, I used both of Bugs' kexts. It recognized my card but hung.

The second time, I used the IOPCIFamily.kext that Bugs took from 10.4.4 and edited my IOPCCardFamily.kext, using my computer's memory and I/O windows in Info.plist. I also used Bugs' IOPCCardFamily/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily file, as a comparison in HexEdit showed that it had been edited the way I needed it to be edited already. (With TI xx12 in place of TI 7610 and with 39 80 in the two places it needed to be, that is.) Same problem, the card was recognized but the system hung.

The third time, I didn't change the IOPCIFamily.kext from the one installed with 10.4.6, but I did use my modified IOPCCardFamily.kext (with the mem/IO edits and the Bugs-edited IOPCCardFamily driver file). Card failed to be recognized.

So it seems like the variable here is the IOPCIFamily.kext. The older version leaves me hanging, the new version fails me. I have no idea what to do next... :D

TP

haha, just like mine :\

Okay, to recap:

So it seems like the variable here is the IOPCIFamily.kext. The older version leaves me hanging, the new version fails me. I have no idea what to do next... :)

TP

may seem like a dumb question but when editing the plist are you being careful to leave the spaces that were there before the edit in place? Also what are you using to edit the plist xcode's property list editor or something else? Also whats your lspci -v out put and your ven/dev codes from windows?

may seem like a dumb question but when editing the plist are you being careful to leave the spaces that were there before the edit in place? Also what are you using to edit the plist xcode's property list editor or something else? Also whats your lspci -v out put and your ven/dev codes from windows?

1) you're talking the space between the two sides of the range? like <50000000 51fff0000 >? yep, doin' that.

2) using xcode's property list editor, yeah.

output:

8:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Unknown device 8039

Subsystem: Hewlett Packard Company Unknown device 30a5

Flags: bus master, medium devset, latency 168, IRQ 185

Memory at d2004000 (32-bit non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary = 08, secondary = 09, subordinate = 0c, sec-latency = 176

Memory window 1: 54000000-55fff000

I/O Window 0: 00003400-000034ff

I/O Window 1: 00003800-000038ff

venID: 104c

devID: 8039

idears?

tp

Okay, more info:

When I add the old IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.4.4, add the revised IOPCCardFamily.kext, repair permissions and so on, and restart, this is what I get. It all goes smoothly until:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI xx12 rev 00

USBF: 51. 92 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

USBF: 51. 94 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2de6800]: unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be

USBF: 51. 97 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2de6800] : : UIMInitialize - Error Occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 51.101 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

After that, I get the grey block and it just hangs.

When booting normally (that is, without the old IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.4.4 but with the revised IOPCCardFamily.kext), I get this:

USBF: 38. 71 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

USBF: 38. 73 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2090000]: unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be

USBF: 38. 75 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2090000] : : UIMInitialize - Error Occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 38. 78 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

A couple of reboots convinced me that the numbers, "38 .71" and so on, don't mean anything. What's interesting is the one major change - it's 0x2090000 instead of 0x2de6800. I have no idea how to use this information , though. Anyone more skilled than me willing to interpret?

BTW, I figured out how to get MacDrive working. The main issue is that the MacOSX drive wasn't showing up in Windows Explorer even with "View Mac Disks" checked in the MacDrive options and a drive letter assigned. I noticed that it was showing up when I would go to save a file, though. This got me thinking that maybe it would show up if I used Windows Explorer alternative. To that end, I picked up this awesome bit of freeware called A34 and voila, there the drive was. No more clean installs (for now)! The only minor issue now is that I have to change the MacOSX drive letter in Acronis every time I reboot Windows. But that's a small price to pay.

TP

treasure....try this....seeing as the pcmcia bus shows up as a usb type driver, try fiddlin' with your bios' USB options maybe legacy usb support...its worth a shot...I'll have more time to contemplate your issue this weekend and I'll get back to you if I think of anything else...as for which IOPCCardFamily.kext I'm using...not to sure...all I know is I installed JaS 10.4.6 and upgraded to 10.4.7 using JaS updates and Semjaza's decrypts...so whatever comes with that is what I'm using...

treasure....try this....seeing as the pcmcia bus shows up as a usb type driver, try fiddlin' with your bios' USB options maybe legacy usb support...its worth a shot...I'll have more time to contemplate your issue this weekend and I'll get back to you if I think of anything else...as for which IOPCCardFamily.kext I'm using...not to sure...all I know is I installed JaS 10.4.6 and upgraded to 10.4.7 using JaS updates and Semjaza's decrypts...so whatever comes with that is what I'm using...

I'll try that. I've been nosing around for a few hours using the XCode dev tools anyways...

(BTW, don't know if I was clear about this: When I said "when booting normally" I meant "when booting where the IOPCCard fails but the OS boots fine.")

Thanks for all your advice so far.

TP

Would it be possible to upload the IOPCIFamily.kext you're using?

TP

Here is info on my card from linux and xp,is there any change that this might work with this driver?

0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller

Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 006e

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11

Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 40400000-407ff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 40800000-40bff000

I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff

I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff

And XP

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC8E&SUBSYS_006E1025&REV_00\3&61AAA01&0&58

Memory Range FFE7F000-FFE7EFFF

Memory Range FFE7E000-FFE7EFFF

Memory Range FAC00000-FEBFFFFF

I/O Range FD00-FDFF

I/O Range FC00-FCFF

Memory Range 000D7000-000D7FFF

Why are the memory ranges so diffrent in linux and xp?

Thanks.

Is there any progress into loading this driver? I'm using myself an acer 5672 laptop, and the only chance to get internet working in osx is wireless. Because Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG isn't working up to date yet. And the internal Broadcom isn't working also.

Is there any progress into loading this driver? I'm using myself an acer 5672 laptop, and the only chance to get internet working in osx is wireless. Because Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG isn't working up to date yet. And the internal Broadcom isn't working also.

what do you mean progress? If you have xx12 or xx21 this method might work for you...try to follow the steps given and you'll see.....

what do you mean progress? If you have xx12 or xx21 this method might work for you...try to follow the steps given and you'll see.....

i have ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12

i try 3 different version of linus live

1) MW 40000000 403ff000

40400000 000044ff

I/O 00004000 000040ff

00004400 000044ff

2) MW 0fc00000 0ffff000

10000000 103ff000

I/O 00004000 000040ff

00004400 000044ff

3) MW 50000000 51fff000

54000000 55fff000

I/O 00002400 000024ffff

00002800 000028ff

XP) MW d0004000 d0004fff

dc000000 dfffffff

I/O 0000ff00 0000ffff

0000fe00 0000feff

all dont work !!!! :blink:

i have ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12

i try 3 different version of linus live

1) MW 40000000 403ff000

40400000 000044ff

I/O 00004000 000040ff

00004400 000044ff

2) MW 0fc00000 0ffff000

10000000 103ff000

I/O 00004000 000040ff

00004400 000044ff

3) MW 50000000 51fff000

54000000 55fff000

I/O 00002400 000024ffff

00002800 000028ff

XP) MW d0004000 d0004fff

dc000000 dfffffff

I/O 0000ff00 0000ffff

0000fe00 0000feff

all dont work !!!! :)

what are you using to edit the plist??

you do realize it must be done with the xcode plist editor because the values in the plist are some wacky format and not just plain hex...

also make sure your looking at the whole lspci command because mine had about 3 pcmcia things in there....the bus controller, the card reader portion and firewire...all are marked with xx21 but only one is the actually pcmcia slot...