• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

JohnMag4u

JohnMag4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
In my IOPCCardFamily.kext, there is Info.plist (which I edited), version.plist (left alone) and a folder 'MacOS. In MacOS there are two files 'IOPCCardFamily' (which I edited my device ID into in the two places) and the backup 'IOPCCardFamily~'. I see no driver that would contain the list you provided. Is that something I forgot to add? Thanks again!

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
The file in the MacOS folder is the driver file that is what you would look to see if your Bridge is listed or not. You have to open it with a text editor. If you look at my previous post to save you time I have listed what is already in that file.

JohnMag4u

JohnMag4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You're absolutley correct. Thank you so much for your help. IT WORKS!! This was my first attempt using a hex editor, I didn't realize it could also be opened with a text editor to see certain parts of the file. Turbo, you are the man!

(pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

(pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
ok i do not have a TI based Cardbus/PCMCIA but rather a Ricoh model (RL5c476 rev b3). i've been following the instructions here to try and attempt to make a IOPCCardFamily.kext file to get my Cardbus/PCMCIA up and running but have stumbled into grey area.. what i have been able to get out of Windows seems too short when it comes to the I/O Windows. does this matter? does anyone know? RL5C476 does appear in the IOPCCardFamily file already... which file specifically is the binary driver that one goes into to change the Device ID? i've found instances of 0476 using HexEdit within the IOPCCardFamily file, however, should i be changing these to 7604 is unclear to me...

Device ID: 0476

I/O Window 0: DC00-DCFF
I/O Window 1: D400-D4FF
Memory Window 0: FEAFD000-FEAFDFFF
Memory Window 1: FDAF8000-FEAF7FFF

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

treasureplane

treasureplane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have the same problem that Mariusz is having. It boots until it discovers the card - you know, "IOPCCardBridge: etc." - then nothing. Is there any way to edit the kexts that got me in this predicament outside of the MacOS, since I can't get in there, or am I going to have to do a clean install? Clearly I can't do anything from Windows, and I don't have a Linux installation on my computer (though I'd be willing to set one up if I could edit the kexts from there).

Thanks!
TP

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
install MacDrive in Windows. After reboot you have read&write access to your HFS partition. Goto you Extensions folder and MOVE the file IOPCCardFamily.kext out of the Extension folder. Don't delete it because MacDrive on hackint0shes is VERY shaky and deleting might already cause minor damage to your HFS partition. After moving the kext booting Mac OS x86 will work.

This is in general a VERY easy method to test out new kexts, I have done it like that many times.

fingerr

fingerr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I have the same problem that Mariusz is having. It boots until it discovers the card - you know, "IOPCCardBridge: etc." - then nothing. Is there any way to edit the kexts that got me in this predicament outside of the MacOS, since I can't get in there, or am I going to have to do a clean install? Clearly I can't do anything from Windows, and I don't have a Linux installation on my computer (though I'd be willing to set one up if I could edit the kexts from there).

Thanks!
TP

Hi Treasureplane,

I use mac os install dvd to access my OSX partition under Terminal.app and then I move IPCCard.kext out of the Extensions folder.

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

ok i do not have a TI based Cardbus/PCMCIA but rather a Ricoh model (RL5c476 rev b3). i've been following the instructions here to try and attempt to make a IOPCCardFamily.kext file to get my Cardbus/PCMCIA up and running but have stumbled into grey area.. what i have been able to get out of Windows seems too short when it comes to the I/O Windows. does this matter? does anyone know? RL5C476 does appear in the IOPCCardFamily file already... which file specifically is the binary driver that one goes into to change the Device ID? i've found instances of 0476 using HexEdit within the IOPCCardFamily file, however, should i be changing these to 7604 is unclear to me...

Device ID: 0476

I/O Window 0: DC00-DCFF
I/O Window 1: D400-D4FF
Memory Window 0: FEAFD000-FEAFDFFF
Memory Window 1: FDAF8000-FEAF7FFF

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

You need to get the info for your card from a Linux terminal commad "lspci -v" this will list your cardcontrol specs that you can then use to alter IOPCCARDFAMILY.Kext, The binary driver is in the folder MacOS that you must hex edit the 0476, if in fact this is your ID.

As to whether your CardBus will work is questionable although in theory it should. However, OS X currently only has support for TI and a select few Toshiba CardBuses. Here are the ones that I found in the Binary Driver:

.TI 1130.TI 1131.TI 1031.TI 1210.TI 1211.TI 1220.TI 1221.TI 1225.TI 1250A....TI 1251A....TI 1251B....TI 1410.TI 1420.TI 1450.TI 1451.TI 1510.TI 1520.TI 1620.TI 4410.TI 4450.TI 4451.TI 4510.TI 4520.TI 7410.TI 7510.TI xx21.Toshiba ToPIC95-A...Toshiba ToPIC95-B...Toshiba ToPIC97.Toshiba ToPIC100

Good luck, and if you do get yours to work please post with instructions on how you succeeded.

You're absolutley correct. Thank you so much for your help. IT WORKS!! This was my first attempt using a hex editor, I didn't realize it could also be opened with a text editor to see certain parts of the file. Turbo, you are the man!

Well I am glad to help, but I can't take the credit, if it wasn't for Guys like Bugs and Wondergod in this forum, we'ld all be lost. Those are the two guys who have helped me the most getting my hacitosh running right. Good luck with your OS X experiance.

P.S. I didn't mean to say Text Editor, it was a typo, I meant to say Hex Editor glad you figured it out though

Ezhoon

Ezhoon

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
This is what I get from the lspci -v command

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 818f
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 169
Memory at b0008000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=06, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000
I/O window 0: 00002400-000024ff
I/O window 1: 00002800-000028ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

It seems that TI 7420 is not listed in the IOPCCardFamily.
Does this mean I have to hex edit IOPCCardFamily?
If it does, how do I do that? (going to use 0xED) :compress:

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

This is what I get from the lspci -v command

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 818f
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 169
Memory at b0008000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=06, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000
I/O window 0: 00002400-000024ff
I/O window 1: 00002800-000028ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

It seems that TI 7420 is not listed in the IOPCCardFamily.
Does this mean I have to hex edit IOPCCardFamily?
If it does, how do I do that? (going to use 0xED) :D

Okay, that is the info you need. Follow the instructions that were given earlier in this thread to edit the info.plist in IOPCCardFamily.kext using the Property List Manager. You need to find the ADP2,1 machine by dropping down in the tree. Once you find that find the two enteries for the Memory windows and the I/O windows and replace what is there with yours. You will edit 4 enteries. Save that and now with a text editor edit the file in the IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily, and enter your card, TI PCI7420, into the list of cards, try to replace yours with a similar one in the list, save the file. Now type the following in Terminal:

cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
Repair disk permissions
Reboot
After reboot in terminal type
sudo dmesg | grep PC

Plug your PCMCIA card and check system profiler.
It should be working at this point. If it does, good job you have a working Card Slot.

Ezhoon

Ezhoon

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Okay, that is the info you need. Follow the instructions that were given earlier in this thread to edit the info.plist in IOPCCardFamily.kext using the Property List Manager. You need to find the ADP2,1 machine by dropping down in the tree. Once you find that find the two enteries for the Memory windows and the I/O windows and replace what is there with yours. You will edit 4 enteries. Save that and now with a text editor edit the file in the IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily, and enter your card, TI PCI7420, into the list of cards, try to replace yours with a similar one in the list, save the file. Now type the following in Terminal:

cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
Repair disk permissions
Reboot
After reboot in terminal type
sudo dmesg | grep PC

Plug your PCMCIA card and check system profiler.
It should be working at this point. If it does, good job you have a working Card Slot.

Turbo50t, thanks for your rply :D
I did follow the instructions very carefully and I thought I did everything correctly
but after reboot, I still get this 'PCCard Bridge::start failed' message.

So I entered PCI7420 instead of 7420 into the IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily
After rebooting, this time, I get this message in Terminal

error mapping module file com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily
can't map com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily in preparation for loading
Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily.
Couldn't alloc class "IOPCCardBridge"

hmmm..at least..something is happening,
What should be my next move? :(

treasureplane

treasureplane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi Treasureplane,

I use mac os install dvd to access my OSX partition under Terminal.app and then I move IPCCard.kext out of the Extensions folder.

Do you boot with the DVD, then access the OSX partition via Terminal? Or are you doing this with MacDrive? Because MacDrive isn't recognizing my MacOSX partition presently for some reason. :D

Since I last wrote here, I did a clean install and tried again. Last time I used Bugs' files and they left me hanging, though with a recognized PCMCIA. I figured this was because I was dumb enough to think that Bugs maybe shared memory and I/O windows with me, so this time I edited the memory and I/O windows into IOPCCardFamily/Info.plist myself, using information I culled from SUSE Linux (which I also have on my computer). I edited in my serial and TI xx12 stuff using the HexEdit program, comparing IOPCCardFamily drivers with Bugs'. Then I copied the corrected IOPCCardFamily.kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/, along with the 10.4.4 version of IOPCIFamily.kext (since everyone said to do this). After that, I repaired permissions, did the "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext" thing, deleted Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext, and rebooted. Upon reloading, I had the exact same problem as before - IOPCCardBridge recognition and endless hangtime. Do you think it's the old version of IOPCIFamily.kext that's messing it up? Or what could it be?

Thanks,
TP

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Turbo50t, thanks for your rply :blink:
I did follow the instructions very carefully and I thought I did everything correctly
but after reboot, I still get this 'PCCard Bridge::start failed' message.

So I entered PCI7420 instead of 7420 into the IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily
After rebooting, this time, I get this message in Terminal

error mapping module file com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily
can't map com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily in preparation for loading
Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily.
Couldn't alloc class "IOPCCardBridge"

hmmm..at least..something is happening,
What should be my next move? :(

Yes it is trying to recognize your card, but seems something is still amiss. Did you do step 4: Fourth (important): Used a hex editor to edit the device ID into the binary driver. Important: device ID "8039" becomes hex "3980".
So if your card is recognized in windows as &DEV_8031, Reverse the pair and hex edit the device into the binary driver. In this case this is my device id "8031", I would put 3180 into the binary driver to properly recognize my card. Windows may put a &DEV_0_8031, don't use that prefaced 0 just the last 4 numbers. Beyond this I can't think of anything else that you would be missing.

Ezhoon

Ezhoon

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

I would put 3180 into the binary driver to properly recognize my card.

Thanks again, Turbo50t :blink:
hmmm, I think I missed that part..would you please show me how can I do that?
I'm not very good at hex so, detailed instruction would be much appreciated.

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Do you boot with the DVD, then access the OSX partition via Terminal? Or are you doing this with MacDrive? Because MacDrive isn't recognizing my MacOSX partition presently for some reason. :)

Since I last wrote here, I did a clean install and tried again. Last time I used Bugs' files and they left me hanging, though with a recognized PCMCIA. I figured this was because I was dumb enough to think that Bugs maybe shared memory and I/O windows with me, so this time I edited the memory and I/O windows into IOPCCardFamily/Info.plist myself, using information I culled from SUSE Linux (which I also have on my computer). I edited in my serial and TI xx12 stuff using the HexEdit program, comparing IOPCCardFamily drivers with Bugs'. Then I copied the corrected IOPCCardFamily.kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/, along with the 10.4.4 version of IOPCIFamily.kext (since everyone said to do this). After that, I repaired permissions, did the "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext" thing, deleted Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext, and rebooted. Upon reloading, I had the exact same problem as before - IOPCCardBridge recognition and endless hangtime. Do you think it's the old version of IOPCIFamily.kext that's messing it up? Or what could it be?

Thanks,
TP

Recheck your work and be double, double sure of your entries as one misplaced character will screw things up. I am not sure what you ment when you said "I edited in my serial", you don't edit your serial into any of the files, so don't quite know what you did there. You have to hex edit you DEV ID into the driver, but you have to flip the pairs ie....let's say your device as reported by windows is DEV_0x1234, you would hex edit this into the binary driver as 3412 so in other words 1234 becomes 3412 in hex. Leave the 0x off if that is how windows displayed your Dev ID. Mine is displayed as 8031 so I have to hex edit 3180 into the driver file.

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Thanks again, Turbo50t :)
hmmm, I think I missed that part..would you please show me how can I do that?
I'm not very good at hex so, detailed instruction would be much appreciated.

With a hex editor open IOPCCardFamily file which is in the MacOS folder and repaced the name of a similar TI bridge with "xx12" or whatever yours is, so that it is correctly recognized

Fourth (important): Used a hex editor to edit the device ID into the binary driver. Important: device ID "8039" becomes hex "3980".

This is per the original Authors instructions, I didn't have to do this for mine as I used WonderGods Kext which other than the memory and I/O windows matched mine. So all I had to do was change the memory and I/O.

WondeGod if your reading this maybe you can expound on this.

My Card Slot is recognized now, but the PCMCIA card that I am trying to get working is not yet functional 100%.

Which is a seperate problem.

Turbo50t

Turbo50t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Someone said that MacDrive didn't work under XP, do this, with Acrois or Partition magic give the Mac partition a drive letter, reboot and your MacDrive should now see your Mac partition. Also before you do that make sure that MacDrive is set as active, it can be turned off. I had to do the first example to get MacDrive to work with XP.

Bug's is right, I test all my new kext's this way.

treasureplane

treasureplane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Recheck your work and be double, double sure of your entries as one misplaced character will screw things up. I am not sure what you ment when you said "I edited in my serial", you don't edit your serial into any of the files, so don't quite know what you did there. You have to hex edit you DEV ID into the driver, but you have to flip the pairs ie....let's say your device as reported by windows is DEV_0x1234, you would hex edit this into the binary driver as 3412 so in other words 1234 becomes 3412 in hex. Leave the 0x off if that is how windows displayed your Dev ID. Mine is displayed as 8031 so I have to hex edit 3180 into the driver file.

Whoops, I meant DevID.

I'll look it over a few times. Thanks for the advice!

TP

treasureplane

treasureplane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Someone said that MacDrive didn't work under XP, do this, with Acrois or Partition magic give the Mac partition a drive letter, reboot and your MacDrive should now see your Mac partition. Also before you do that make sure that MacDrive is set as active, it can be turned off. I had to do the first example to get MacDrive to work with XP.

Bug's is right, I test all my new kext's this way.

The drive letter won't stay for some reason. I've tried giving it a letter in Acronis Disk Director before I've booted any OSs (via Acronis OS Selector) and it's not even an option then. Any ideas?

Also - MacOSX is a primary drive. Would this have any effect on its visibility?

Thanks,
TP

Ezhoon

Ezhoon

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
I just opened IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily with hex editor, 0xed.
I can see that TI 7420(my pccard controller, devID ac8e) is in there but just can't figure out what to do.

Can someone help me out, please? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy