[General Questions] GPU Power Management & More

andrew89898

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I created a hackintosh with my PC (z87-hd3, 4670k) I used to have intel hd 4600 and it worked fine well, it did take some time to get the 4600 to work. Now I have a MSI GTX 760 in my computer and I have fired up mavericks (I still have 10.9) and everything is working fine and I have full resolution QE/CI and all. I use HWMonitor to make sure that the power management is working okay for the cpu and gpu. The CPU is in the 30-40 degrees range whilst I am browsing and the GPU die is at 48 degrees. I think the CPU is scaling down properly. The GPU is currently constantly at 48 degrees and at 1.00 GHZ CORE and 1.47GHZ memory. Is everything working right? On windows I have msi afterburner and can change lots of things but I let it natively choose the fan speed. I haven't been monitoring the temperature recently on windows but it used to be in the 30s at idle then go up to 40-50-60 highest 67 when under load.

Is everything working okay?
Also is there any other checks I need to do, to my hackintosh to make sure nothing is slowly killing any of my hardware as I might start to use it much more than I used to for video editing etc. My GPU shows as 3.39 GHZ and I would like to change that to 3.4Ghz. My ethernet, audio and USB are working.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue with my GTX 690 not down clocking back to 324 MHz. I've tried the nVidia web drivers whiched seemed to solve getting stuck at max frequency but I kept getting kernel panics so I am back to stock Apple drivers and this issue.

My system specs:

4770K,

32GB RAM - Kingston HyperX,

512GB Samsung 840 Pro - Boot drive,

GTX 690,

OS X 10.9.4 & Chimera 3.0.1

For the details on my rig, follow the link in my profile.

Thanks. I had a look at the article in the link. Unfortunately its for 10.8 and for cards getting stuck at 324 MHz. Apple seems to have changed things in 10.9 in terms of GPU PM configuration.

I am running 10.9.4 and my GTX 690 is getting stuck at 914 MHz and never down clocks to 324 MHz. This is a new problem that has popped up since 10.9.3. I've seen a number of posts around the Internet about it but haven't found a reliable fix yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Gave it a try and unfortunately it does not solve the issue. The GPU clock still gets stuck at 914 MHz (maximum) and never down clocks back to 324 MHz.

An odd side effect of loading NVEnabler.kext on my rig was that it caused an error in System Report when trying to view the extensions list. Removing it returned System Report to normal.

I solved my GPU power management and kernel panic issue by pulling my old GTX 690 and replacing it with my spare GTX 780. Everything is working as it should now.

The GTX 690 is going in the cabinet for possible future use in a Windows or Linux box but never again in a Hackintosh.

Hello

I believe that error is a particular problem of GTX 690, because your 780 work well and my 760 too...

You said that problem happen in 10.9.3 and high vesions, isn't? So, just use this grafik card to 10.9.2 or lower versions...

in 10.9.3 many other Nvidia and AMD grafik cards was added in OSX, 780 that doens't work, began work in 10.9.3 and i believe that when new cards where added others cards have a bit of difficult to work, like your 690...

I have a thing in mind... if you want use 690 again in 10.9.3 or high, you can try use a Nvidia kexts of 10.9.2 in 10.9.3.... :)

Thanks. Yes, the problems with my 690 started in 10.9.3 and got worse in 10.9.4. Problems included occasional kernel panics, freezes and a strange issue where when I cold booted the rig, the monitor would go into sleep mode when the GUI login screen loaded but upon a warm reboot the card would load and seem to work fine. Also the card would not down clock back to 324 MHz.

My rig seems 100% stable now since I switched to the 780 and all the previous issues have not re-occured so far which makes me VERY happy :-)

Thanks again for your help.