[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

hahahah good joke :) I'm glad i could help out a little for a change....especially after bugging you and fusion for weeks with my wird ram problem :)

i don't mind the shutdown at all...its just one small thing...my battery never shows right level unless i plug in and out my ac adapter...if i plug it just for a second and unplug it its shows the correct value...otherwise it just stands still(battery percentage)...i calibrated my battery its not the problem

edit:

@xangel

it sounds to me that we have the same problem...you have to replug/or plug ac for a second for pc to see real battery percentage...thats why when I'm on battery laptop always shutdowns unexpectedly ...without alerting me its low...its something to do with acpibatterymanager.kext...will lookout for a newer version maybe of this kext or something...or maybe grand wizard Fusion :sorcerer: will see this post and do his magic on our machines again hahhahaah :)

Every little bit of help helps.  I'm definitely no expert at all of this and I still have plenty to learn, but I only have so much time to dig in and tweak stuff.  I usually just get my system working for what I need and live with it until someone comes along and gives me a hand with the stuff I don't know.  The great thing about having a community, with our combined knowledge, we get our systems closer to 100% the more people figure out they want something working better.  Just like your battery percentage issue, my battery is on it's last leg so when I unplug my laptop, the power level drops quickly and I wouldn't notice if the percentage gets stuck.  I'm sure there is an easy fix, but I would never know if it works because my battery doesn't work correctly.

• Like 1

I don't think we're having the same issue with the battery meter...... my battery lasts like 15 minutes because it's almost 7 years old and it's worn out.  In Windows it will stay at 100% for 2 minutes then drop to around 50% and degrades quickly from there.  In OS X it does the same thing, so unless I get a new battery, it doesn't really help having a properly working battery meter.  But if you get a fix for it, I will surely integrate it into my guide.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you xangle for this guide. I successfully followed this well written guide and installed Mavericks 10.9 + 10.9.2 on my Dell Inspiron 1720. 

Pre Install: USB was prepared on Snow Leopard that I had installed couple years back. I added MBR install patch in the USB. I extracted DSDT via DSDT Editor in Ubuntu and and followed instruction for patches from youtube user JanTichava the file is included in video description and is the same instruction as immo's DSDT thread.

Post Install: kext from post #84 + wifi kext from post #60 via snow leopard partition. Updated to 10.9.2 and removed AppleHDA as per instruction.

Issues:

My Wifi can’t connect to secured connection, only open network. (well known issue for my wifi card).

Can’t login to FaceTime for some reason. iCloud, iMessage, Appstore works fine.

Shutdown has to be done forcefully after CPU halt same as snow leopard. Sleeps works fine

My computer specs listed in the signature (may have to login).

Hello knightmfg.  Good to hear you got your system up and running.  Not sure why your factime isn't working especially since all the other apple services work.  Just another one of those hackintoshing mysteries.  If you want louder volume, use the VoodooHDA from post #149 above, just replace your old one and rebuild your extensions.mkext, reboot and your volume will be louder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@knightmfg

you have exact problem i had with facetime...its so stupid and banal:)...i discovered what was the problem after weeks of forum digging...you have to tie your credit card to your itunes account for it to work...if you created free account it DOESNT work...just add your billing info to your account and...voila  :whistle:...also make sure your account is for your country...i had us account...didnt work until i created croatian one with my credit card billing info

....and make sure you use my smc edited kozlek fakesmc.kext (works much better on our cpus..more speedsteping and temps are alot lower...uses older smc version exactly for our laptops)

...if you have keyboard layout problems(i couldnt type @ symbol) just google for ukelele for mac and edit manualy ;)---(i can provide my custom croatian pc keyboard layout,just pm me if anybody needs it---i doubt anybody will but still:)...and edit modifier keys under keyboard settings to your liking...so you can use ctrl like on windows :euro: ....happy hackintoshing...and kudos to xangel and fusion once again  :superman:

edit:

i have bcm4321 wifi and it was recognized from the start as third party wlan card...and i connect to my wpa2 without any problem...i did rebrand it in linux so its now recognized as airport extreme....try this link Rebranding BCM WIFIs .....if you have rev01 4312 use :

Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x004E  

good luck

@xangel sorry for being MIA for a long time...my inspiron 1720 fell on its face(busted lcd) so i havent had my 1720 for a long time(and have been playing with my surface pro 2 that arrived 2 days ago  :drool: )...i disconnected lcd (and removed top cover) from motherboard...and bought samsung 2233 lcd very cheap...connected it with vga and now bios and win and osx sees it as my main display...hurray...tried playing with alot of battery kexts but nothing works better then your kext...percentage stands still unless reconnecting(or disconnecting) power suply...now my inspiron 1720   has became imac...so my battery only serves me as an ups haha:) ...its a desktop pc now...but surface pro 2 saves the day :P   

mirko, sucks for your 1720 that it broke, awesome that you got a Surface Pro 2.  I am looking to get a new piece of technology, but I don't know what I want to spend the money on.  I have so much stuff that works wonderfully right now, it's hard for me to make a decision about what to replace with something newer......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have been lurking this thread for a while.

I have an inspiron 1520 which is very similar to the 1720, it has a T7250 and a 8600GTM

I have been following the guide but I am having problems, booting in verbose gets stuck at this line:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory 

http://i.imgur.com/tL6OvBU.jpg

From what i have read it is supposed to be a compatibility problem between the version of chameleon and Fakesmc... I have tried many combinations with Darwinx's Fakesmc but each try was a failure.

Any help would be very appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi! Thanks for your job.

I'm getting problems with the start up of the pen drive.

I created it as you described in a macbook, now I'm trying to initiate it in my dell inspiron 1720 t7250, and the chameleon starts without user interface. Lines of code appear and then it stops because Bluetooth is missing.

Any idea to skip that?

Thank you!

Can you please help me people. I have followed all instructions to the 'T'. I have Inspiron 1720 with Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.50 GHz. I selected the closes smbios.plist I could which was T7xxx. I also have 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS. I have 4 GB RAM in the machine.

DSDT I have not created on my USB stick. I understand it is optional until after I actually install. My issue right now is that during installation my mouse freezes. Sometimes when selecting language screen. Sometimes while using disk utility to partition. Sometimes after I start installing. It says 16 minutes left, sometimes 15, sometimes 14.. then freeze. So basically something is going on where by installation freezes.

I have tried keeping the mouse moving all the time using the touchpad and clicking at some corner etc. This is so frustrating, I feel I'm so close. Really appreciate your help.

PS My Hard Disk looks good as well. All the same I tried to do "Verify Disk" using Disk Utilities, but problem is here ALSO it hangs. Basically any "long" operation my mouse freezes. I think the problem is somewhere else altogether and I just need to find it. Unfortunately all hardware checks out and I do not have anything else plugged in. I have 1 HD with Windows and am trying to install OS X to 2nd HD.

All, I've followed instructions perfectly except I have one doubt.

First, I get error: Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary"

It does not matter whether I put the mkext into Cache/startup or leave it where kext utility generated it.

My doubt: What smbios.plist I should use. I tried to use the closest one but I'm not sure if it is right. My hardware on Inspiron 1720 is

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.50Ghz

4:00 GM DDR2

Dell 0UK437 Motherboard

128MB NVidia GeForce 8400M GS

If I do not generate the mkext I'm able to get to selecting the disk for installation and then it hangs. I'm not dual booting. Someone please help. I feel I'm close but can't get over this hurdle.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, sorry I haven't been around to help any of you, I've been working insane hours and barely have time to do much at the end of a day.  I'll try to drop by more often to see if I can help anyone out.

@motur, please post a picture of the screen where your system stops.  I will see if I can give you the proper advice to get past the screen.  Also, please post your full specifications of your laptop.

@graftopia, for my tutorial to work, you need to have a patched DSDT in your installer drive.  The whole thing is reliant on some of the patches fixing issues so that the installer will start up properly and the system to start after the install.

• 1 month later...
Hello, first of all: thanks for this wonderful thread. 

I'm about to follow this tutorial, could you please help me to patch my DSDT file? I would really appreciate it  @fusion71au  @xangel9626 :-)

PS: Xangel, I tried to build my system as close as possible as yours, so I bought a BMC94322MC. I tried to rebrand my wifi card but when I reach this point i can't continue:
alvaro@alvaro-Inspiron-1720:~$ sudo ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P

Illegal value for sprom_rev

Should I try with another method to rebrand my card? Do you know how can I overcome that error?

Thank you

I patched myself the DSDT, it is not that hard as I though. Thank you anyway! :-)

I followed all steps to step 17. After the grey screen with the apple logo I get this error, any help please? :-)

ERROR IMAGE:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BweEZE3GCofNR0pMSklSVjlaTnc/view?usp=sharing    <--------  [image uploaded again]

PATCHED DSDT (I did it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BweEZE3GCofNMnNqYVR0TEpKSWc/view?usp=sharing

ORIGINAL DSDT 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BweEZE3GCofNT3BXekVvQ3ZzSVE/view?usp=sharing

Hello hysp, sorry I haven't been on to catch your post. 

Since it's been a while, I'll have to look and see if I can find the instructions I followed to rebrand the wifi card, it should work either way, just without airdrop.  Which instructions did you use?

I would look at your installation error, but the picture you posted on google drive doesn't work.  You can just attach the image to your post without using a file host.  I'll check tomorrow and follow up with you.

Thanks a lot xangel9626! :-)

I can't upload pictures to this forum, I don't have permissions, (but the previous image is working now).

However I managed to fix the error myself, the error was:

panic (cpu 1 caller) "TLB invalidation IPI Timeout": CPU failed to respond to interrupts. BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

I managed myself to fix it, by changing in the Bios:  ATA ---> AHCI

I'm excited!! I just saw for the first time the OSX installation screen! Thank you for this great tutorial, I will let you know how everything is going on :D :D :D

Hi again, I managed to install the OS. When installation was completed 100%, the system restarted as expected, and since then it stops in loading screen. If i start with the option -v the log screen gets stuck when it says:

[picture here]

**** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][start] -- completed -- result = TRUE -- 0x4400 ****
NVDAStartup: Official
NVDANV50HAL: loaded and registered
[IOBluetoothHCIController][staticBluetoothHCIControllerTrasnportShowsUp] -- Received Bluetooth Controller registered service notification -- 0x4400
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
**** [IOBluetoothHostcontrollerUSBTransport][configurePM] -- ERROR -- waited 30 seconds and still did not get the commandWakeup() notification -- 0x4400  **
[IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][protectedBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUP] -- Connected to the transport successfully - 0xd7c0 -- 0x3000 -- 0x4400 **

Can anybody please help me? 

Ya, I didn't put in the fact that you had to have AHCI enabled in bios since I figured most people already do that.  I guess that's a little oversight on my part.

As for the other error, try loading with -f only and see if your computer starts properly.  The error might be related to the Nvidia drivers not loading correctly.  I will see if I can do something with your DSDT, but I won't be able to do anything until the weekend.  If you have any luck, let me know.

Another thing you can try, use my DSDT temporarily and see if your computer starts, there have been a few people that have had success even though they have a different processor.