HP EliteBook 8540p 10.9 Mavericks Guide

melt7777

16 posts in this topic

Installed on HP EliteBook 8540p, a Core i7 with 24 GB ram and two seagate momentus xt hybrid SSHDs (1000gb and 750gb), and an nvidia quadro 5100m. No boot flags. Thanks guys in the chat room for entertaining me while I got all this sorted out. Nice not to have to rely on a distro :)

eTyu5m6.jpg

Process:

1. Booted into an existing Lion install, Download Mavericks installer from App store for free, and download MyHack latest.

2. Use Disk Utility to create a 10gb partition on a GPT partitioned drive, type Mac OS Journaled (HFS+), for myhack installer, and a big partition, same type, for Mavericks to be installed on.  Instead of using a USB for MyHack I am using another partition on the hard disk. (SO much faster, and none of the stupid errors trying to boot from a USB. Thanks to dcai777 for the idea.)

3. Use the HP ProBook 6360b Boot Pack I found on osxlatitude.
Add Extras. This will be needed to get working PS2 and Intel Ethernet (e1000e)

4. Boot from the Myhack partition and run the installer. You may or may not need a USB keyboard and/or mouse.  Ports on the right side work.

5. Boot from the newly installed Mavericks partition. Used a tool that may be blacklisted from this site, to install Voodoo 2.8.4, HDAenabler, and USB3 Universal by Zenith432. This turned on my other USB ports and my audio.

6. (Thanks to Frontier314 for original post on this) Go into /S/L/E/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to true (then use Kext Wizard to repair/rebuild), in order to get the volume controls to actually control the volume.

7. Configure GRUB2 bootloader to also boot my new Mavericks installation using the following stanza in my /etc/grub.d/40_custom file (for you dual-boot linux / osx folks)

Note: I have GRUB2 bootloader on an MBR hard disk with my other OSes (win7, various linuxes, osx Lion) and Mavericks installed on a GPT disk by itself for now. All OSes are booting from GRUB2 now.  At some point I am going to attempt to get all of my OSes onto a GPT disk and see if they all work together on one disk.

menuentry "Mac OS X Mavericks" --users jc {

insmod part_gpt

insmod hfsplus

set root='hd1,gpt2'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set <uuid of the maverick partition>

multiboot /boot

}

Note on the Grub, it says invalid partition but boots up. It does the same with my Lion install on the MBR. not sure if it's something to do with the uuid stuff or not. Also, to get your uuid's in linux you can just do  sudo blkid.

8. To get Airport, AirDrop, and full wifi:

Replace Intel WLAN card with Broadcom 43224, which is in the whitelist:  HP ProBook 4415S Wireless WiFi Card 518434-001

Install ProBookARPT.zip found by a google search, thanks to pokenguyen in insanelymac chat!

9. To get iMessage:

Login to iCloud using my Apple ID.  It was just spinning forever when trying to login to Messages, so I tried a bunch of stuff, including reinstalling latest Chameleon v2266 from the pkg installer, which fixed my GUI boot screen / theming came back.... and a thank you here to rampagedev for pointing me at some options.... but what ended up working was, I chose "Skip" then I went in to the Messages app > Preferences > and chose to log in to the apple ID and it worked!

So.... In summary:

WORKING: 

IDT Audio

Nvidia Quadro NVS 5100M 1GB

USB3 ports & USB2 ports

Intel E1000e Ethernet

AirPort/AirDrop/Wi-fi.

iMessage/iCloud/AppStore

NOT WORKING:

Sleep seems to go and come back, but i think it just shuts the screen off. And breaks my (injected) wifi. And the speakers pop about every minute or so. So, no sleep. If i used sleep I would fight with DSDTs and such, but I don't.

UNKNOWN:  nothing at this time.

I wanted to put this out on the wire in case anyone else wants to use the awesome, powerful Elitebook to run a hackintosh partition. Will update as i do more / test more.  Thanks guys! And Joseph51423 for entertaining me in the chat room while helping us. You guys are great!

Update 11/16/2013 -  Fun GPT w/ Protective MBR project... I wanted to see if I could get Mavericks, Windows 7, and Kali Linux all playing nice on the same GPT drive. Basically, I did a lot of watching TrueImage progress bars for this job. Basically ended up with:

/dev/sda1 unknown (the protective MBR hybrid)

/dev/sda2 fat32 EFI (the EFI Bootloader for the GPT table)

/dev/sda3 hfs+ Mavericks

/dev/sda4 ntfs win7boot (System Reserved) (the windows bootloader)

/dev/sda5 ntfs win7

/dev/sda6 ext4 kali

/dev/sda7 linux-swap swap

And for good measure, remove that disk, and throw a quick windows 8.1 install on a second hard disk, then put both disks back in.

/dev/sdb1 ntfs win8

From a kali linux live usb:

Had to install everything individually to a fresh drive, image it, and after all of the installations, then copy/paste everything around with gparted to get it all on the same drive.

Used gdisk to create a protective MBR for 4 5 6 making all bootable.

Perform a chroot grub installation and install it to /dev/sda to make it the main bootloader for the whole drive using --force because it's not supposed to work on a GPT/MBR very well.

allow the /etc/grub.d scripts to run and find all my os's, then edit grub.cfg down to what i wanted to show, and use that to create my /etc/grub.d/40_custom file.

re- update-grub

Boot from a win8 dart usb (the 7 installers didn't work) to get a setup command prompt, and use some commands to get the win7 bootloader to re-recognize the win7 installation:

bcdedit /store C:\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} device partition=D:

bcdedit /store C:\boot\bcd /set {default} device partition=D:

bcdedit /store C:\boot\bcd /set {default} osdevice partition=D:

Boot into each OS and celebrate a job well done! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your welcome for entertaining :D

• Like 1

I installed Mavericks on my HP Elitebook 8570p, got everything working, except for my USB3 ports (right hand side), the other are working (left hand side). Any suggestions?

Yes post your steps next time, you could have saved me tons of aggravation!! :)

I think you better use Clover Bootloader as attached file.

- You first copy EFI folder to EFI Partition

- In Bios, Booting set to EFI

then reboot, you can boot EFI mode and get Clover Bootloader.

Just try. I'm sure your partition is not guid partition as followings.

tnfg.png

And you should be add smbios info in config.plist

And i have an issue of control Fan.

I still don't solve that issue. Instead of that, I decrease CPU clock speed. but, it does not solved.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9w3ohp1f3ob93bt/8540P_EFI.zip

HP Probook Installer 6.1.10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think you better use Clover Bootloader as attached file.

- You first copy EFI folder to EFI Partition

- In Bios, Booting set to EFI

then reboot, you can boot EFI mode and get Clover Bootloader.

Just try. I'm sure your partition is not guid partition as followings.

tnfg.png

And you should be add smbios info in config.plist

And i have an issue of control Fan.

I still don't solve that issue. Instead of that, I decrease CPU clock speed. but, it does not solved.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9w3ohp1f3ob93bt/8540P_EFI.zip

HP Probook Installer 6.1.10

Thanks for the tip, but you didn't say why I would need to change what I have to using clover efi bootloader? So far I can boot everything just fine, as grub supports UEFI or Legacy modes. And I prefer grub bootloader for a variety of reasons. 

Thanks for the tip, but you didn't say why I would need to change what I have to using clover efi bootloader? So far I can boot everything just fine, as grub supports UEFI or Legacy modes. And I prefer grub bootloader for a variety of reasons. 

yup, it's up to you.

• 1 month later...

I did an install with Clover and HP Probook Installer and that went quite well i must say for my first install :)

I only have troubles, as far as i know, with the battery and sound, if any could give me pointers ... that would be sweet!

Thnx in advance :)

I did an install with Clover and HP Probook Installer and that went quite well i must say for my first install :)

I only have troubles, as far as i know, with the battery and sound, if any could give me pointers ... that would be sweet!

Thnx in advance :)

Do you have correctly patched DSDT in place where Clover can load it?

Do you have correctly patched DSDT in place where Clover can load it?

Sorry to react so late ... so busy with work :(

But i used the the zip file Ritz Carltn attached to his post and latest HP-ProBook-Installer

I got no idea if i have the right stuff at the correct place tho :)

Sorry to react so late ... so busy with work :(

But i used the the zip file Ritz Carltn attached to his post and latest HP-ProBook-Installer

I got no idea if i have the right stuff at the correct place tho :)

You should probably refer to the ProBook guides (available elsewhere) to be sure you're using the ProBook Installer correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thnx, that did the trick for sound :-)

I tried the new PBI for Clover and it made clover unable to boot, hoped that it would fix the no battery issue I got...

Tried with only the option update Clover and that made it unbootable as well.