The active members here from the beginning

mac-mini

38 posts in this topic

There have been quite a few discussions of the early days.. I had been lurking here & concretesurf (as was) but didn't join until I finally found the holy grail.. the marklar image on piratebay.

I don't realy consider myself a "from the beginning" member, but got more involved after Mashugly (as was) dropped by irc looking for volunteers to help moderate. I don't recall when that was...

I dunno why mac-mini wants to exclude mods from this thread, we are just normal users who give some of our time to help run the place.

Anyhow that dates it.. my member number & join date are *after* the DVD was leaked, though when the first tpm-disabled rosetta began to circulate, I don't recall..

Incidenatlly, I'm running the same hackintosh now that I built then, it's worn through 2 keyboards & blown its USB bus underway, but it's still my prime-time main machine after going through all the versions fit to run.

edwardhooper.jpg

I came here in August 1805, right after I heard from the first goldmine.

;)

But seriously, seeing OS X booting on my PC was like a dream. I can't say it was painless in the first

releases (no universal binaries available) but every program that switched to universal was a big event here

:D

Also I remember loooong threads and short sleep - together with all the other members in endless maxxuss

kernel testing threads or JaS compiling IRC sessions. Althrough I am not a coder at all, I always try to bring

in my ideas because I think I know how thinks work... I am just missing the syntax.

Anyway, insanelymac is really a great forum because of really nice people here and it quickly became one

of my instant web homes. Today there are so many projects and external sites going on and I am glad to

see this and to be a small part of it all.

And btw. we also have one of the best boardteams I know... they kept cool when Apple stressed and they

made some very good decisions for the future. Yes Mash, I accept creditcards and mailorder, too. :)

Cheers!

I've been following the community since the first fake leak (the 956mb of goatse). I've been registered here since the board was just an offshoot of another one that shard administered. Heck, it was running phpBB at the time. I'm rather dating myself on that last bit. :)

I kinda miss the old days when one had to be a real hax0r to run OS X...

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't been aroud long, but i came by when one of the articles about leopard beeing leaked said "To find out more, go to this topic on Insanelymac.com:". I downloaded it and then decided to stick around after I got my MBP. I ordered it 5 days after WWDC. 9A241 seems so long ago...

• 2 weeks later...

the easiest way to figure out how long folks have been around (and how active), check out the join date, member no and post count.

as you can see from my own details, my obsession for this came pretty quick. as soon as i heard Steve say Apple were going Intel, I knew people would want to run OS X on generic hardware. i was searching for osx86project before it even existed (if you see what i mean).

i love this community, its always changing, always growing, and there will always be a place in my heart for the 10.4.1 hacking days... i remember installing it on my powerbook (remember the first install disc worked on ppc and intel?) and uploading files off my powerbook.

my then PC (P4 2.4Ghz SSE2, GeForce 6800) was promptly sold last xmas time to fund building of my current hackintosh (Pentium D920, X1800XL), and i sold my PowerBook G4 and went first to a MacBook, and now a MacBook Pro.

i'm constantly amazed and humbled by the effort people put in to this site, (staff and members alike), and to the community as a whole.

in short, we've come a long way, baby. :smoke:

I've been here for quite a while. My interest was piqued by dl'ing a bogus OSX boot image - pretty rank stuff on that disk ;-)

My first install was with deadmoo (thankis to Broadband's guide) and I've been running my Hackintosh ever since. As the new releases came out (especially since Jas hist our sceane) I've noticed that everything has become more stable, faster, more full-featured. I'm on InsanelyMac just about every day - it is a great place to talk with folks and learn about new ways to do great stuff with Mac OS X.

As Munky said - we've come a long way. From the days when the was NO intel software other than what came with the OS to today where just about every app I use is Universal (wishing that Adobe & m$ would get their stuff togther...).