[SOLVED] Boot0 error after install

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I just got a new 2TB WD Caviar Blue drive to mainly keep my files and have Mac OS X on it too. I have it partitioned in MBR with 1 partition of 200GB HFS+ and the remainder a 1.62.. NTFS. I can boot the installer USB just fine and install ML on the 200GB partition but when I install chimera(or chameleon or clover) to it and try to reboot using the new bootloader it hangs at boot0: error and for clover boot0af: error (OR if I install boot0ss, boot0ss: error). The drive's sector size is 512bytes, checked via diskutil and windows fsutil(no 4K advanced format). The drive is connected at Marvell 88SE9172 and previously(with same results) at X79 Sata3 both 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It really was a 4K drive, note to anyone with this drive: All WD20EAR* drives use 4K advanced format but the firmware emulates 512B sectoring, software will report they are 512B physical sectors, they are NOT!

it is very old problem, try it

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

1. open the folder i386 and copy boot1h for your USBInstaller.

2. boot from USBinstaller and go for utilities and open app Terminal

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition where you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2

5. type cd /

6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096

7. reboot

in steep 6 put your disk and partition "(i.e disk0s2 "), see your

• Like 6

it is very old problem, try it

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

1. open the folder i386 and copy boot1h for your USBInstaller.

2. boot from USBinstaller and go for utilities and open app Terminal

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition where you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2

5. type cd /

6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096

7. reboot

in steep 6 put your disk and partition "(i.e disk0s2 "), see your

But Do those drives have 4k sectors? If so you will need to manually install boot1h to the OS partition by using the dd from coreutils, place it on your USB installer, and boot to the USB installer. Open the terminal and run the following command after unmounting the Volume that contains the OS:

CODE: SELECT ALL /path to dd/dd if=/path to boot1h/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX bs=4096

Where rdiskXsX is the disk number and partition number that you have OS X installed on - on my notebook this would be rdisk0s2.

Please note that this will only provide a solution if your drive has 4k sectors - u can determine this using diskutil from the terminal, ensure you do not run the commands on non-4k sector drives as it will likely break your partition table.

Point is Windows reports 512bytes Physical Sector size and diskutil shows too 512bytes device block size

EDIT: Nevermind, the drive actually emulates 512B sectoring to play nice with older OSes, it's really a 4K drive; thank you for your time and help.

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the information.

I have a problem.

I performed the steps and did not get the boot0af mistake. Now I get boot1 mistake.

How I can fix it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I did it, but error continues. Ssd disk

i get b1f error too on my ssd.

I want to use a 50 megs FAT32 partition, so i am using boot1f32 for that pbr.

Tried several versions. boot0 works, but no any boot1f32 files.

stuck at b1f error.

its only a 120 gb ssd disk, but i think it uses 4k sectors. 

the same bootfiles work on a fat32 formatted usb pendrive.

Update: Solved it.

I don't know why but i had to format the FAT32 partition with GParted, and after that the bootfiles worked and Chameleon loads fine.

I also used a Windows app called Bootice instead of messing with Mac Terminal commands and fdisk440.

I will post screenshots how to edit, and the two working bootfiles..

So, Format the FAT32 partition in GParted.

The only problem with that is you need a bootcd or usb drive with that since gparted has no windows version.

Hiren's bootcd has got a small Linux recovery enviroment (a live linux) which contatins GParted.

Thats what i used.

Actually my boot partition has become FAT16. But it doesn't matter. It's just because it is so small in size, and so not needed to be FAT32 or FAT32 LBA.

Use Bootice.

Here are the steps.

This program is pretty easy to use.

Just leave the options "Keep signature and partition table untouched" and "Keep BPB untouched" checked as they are originally.

Select the correct drive, Choose Process MBR

post-38872-0-04689400-1388509007_thumb.png

Choose Restore MBR

post-38872-0-96491700-1388509015_thumb.png

Select boot0hfs file and Restore

post-38872-0-62283100-1388509021_thumb.png

Back again at the main screen, Choose Process BPR

Select the boot partition and Restore PBR

post-38872-0-99703500-1388509026_thumb.png

Select boot1f32 file and Restore

post-38872-0-51471900-1388509033_thumb.png

Set Parts Manage - Activate partition if not already set..

post-38872-0-25608900-1388509039_thumb.png

You can make backups of the MBR and all of the PBRs of the partitions before you do any changes.

So if something bad happens, you can restore them easily.

I first thought the ID was wrong for the boot partition (0B) instead of the one which is set on the large FAT32 partition (0C).

I tried another windows formatting tool and formatted the small partition with that (and that made it 0C).

But it still did not work. I got the boot0:done boot1:error message.

After i formatted the boot partition with GParted the bootfiles(installed again after format) worked.

I think there might have been some wrong parameters in the Bios Parameter Block (BPB) which confused the boot1f32 loader and made it hang.

• Like 2