Phunczz's G5 Homage Project

Phunczz

104 posts in this topic

After measuring again and again, I've been able to get most of the planning for the storage system done.

I've cut/sawn the 4th SATA port of one of the SATA backplanes, because 8 disks (2 PCB's) won't fit, but 7 disks will.

MiniHack: you said you have done this before, does the cut PCB edge need to insulated ? I doubt it but just making sure.

jABVP1s.jpg

I've did it like that so the screwholes AND the SATA-ports are equally spaced. I'm finnicky about that sort of stuff (OCD probably) and it will make it easier later on and look much better.

I'm using this to help me realise it:

FhwYJa4.png

Large version, large version with explanation

What you see illustrated is the cut SATA backplane + original backplane, seven 3,5" disks (with SATA connectors), rubber suspension and the aluminium C-beams.

If anyone is interested, I have the .PSD-file on hand.

• Like 1

After measuring again and again, I've been able to get most of the planning for the storage system done.

I've cut/sawn the 4th SATA port of one of the SATA backplanes, because 8 disks (2 PCB's) won't fit, but 7 disks will.

MiniHack: you said you have done this before, does the cut PCB edge need to insulated ? I doubt it but just making sure.

Nope, no need for insulating. If the line of cut is sufficiently clean that no copper traces can cross (and to be honest it is almost impossible I think!) then there is no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while, almost a month. I haven't been sitting still, but I've been busy with my new job, friends getting married and ofcourse the bachelor party related to that. But I finally got some results to show you:

giCrNLd.jpg

It was sunny here in Belgium today, so I made a photo outside.

You're seeying all the drilling I've been doing today. It's somewhere around 65 holes total.

F4GNNPa.jpg

The backplanes (one is cut one connector shorter) and the rear brackets. The C-shaped beams will be riveted onto these.

ZnvZB1R.jpg

Here you see the back. I can reach all the ports but I need to remove the bracket from the case to do this. You also see the holes which I use to connect to the back of the case.

qvBS5DX.jpg

First placement, you finally see how it is going to be inside the case.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally another worthwile update. Sorry about the lack of momentum but I've been busy with my new job, bathroom renovations, new main computer, heat wave and various other things to keep me off of my mod. Let's also not forget I didn't think I'd finish this before September anyway, as I just wanted to do this project to "keep myself busy" :)

But I got some work done anyways !

mYM9VB8.jpg

This hardware just became available because my main computer got an upgrade. It's an Asus P5E-VM HDMI with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 8GB DDR2-8500 and one huge chunk of aluminium fins called the Scythe Mugen 2. That cooler has actually not been used a very long time as it did not fit my previous case. It does fit in the Powermac G5 case :)

GRiJgVQ.jpg

Look at the sheer size of that heatsink. It still amazes me. Free internet cookie to whomever can guess which album is playing in the back (the bottom icon on the screen).

gb2Xrc1.jpg

So it all fits in the case, lovely. Although the 24-pins connector is very tight, I might want to move it to the front if possible. But there is something wrong, can you see it ?

BSBr9hB.jpg

Actually, there are two things wrong: the motherboard connectors are blocking the dual-fan bracket from attaching AND the connectors are too close to the back to even think about making my own PCB with the original connector locations.

So to combat those two problems, one easy solution exists: move the motherboard tray to the left. But that is for another day !

• Like 2

Finally another worthwile update. Sorry about the lack of momentum but I've been busy with my new job, bathroom renovations, new main computer, heat wave and various other things to keep me off of my mod. Let's also not forget I didn't think I'd finish this before September anyway, as I just wanted to do this project to "keep myself busy" :)

But I got some work done anyways !

mYM9VB8.jpg

This hardware just became available because my main computer got an upgrade. It's an Asus P5E-VM HDMI with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 8GB DDR2-8500 and one huge chunk of aluminium fins called the Scythe Mugen 2. That cooler has actually not been used a very long time as it did not fit my previous case. It does fit in the Powermac G5 case :)

GRiJgVQ.jpg

Look at the sheer size of that heatsink. It still amazes me. Free internet cookie to whomever can guess which album is playing in the back (the bottom icon on the screen).

gb2Xrc1.jpg

So it all fits in the case, lovely. Although the 24-pins connector is very tight, I might want to move it to the front if possible. But there is something wrong, can you see it ?

BSBr9hB.jpg

Actually, there are two things wrong: the motherboard connectors are blocking the dual-fan bracket from attaching AND the connectors are too close to the back to even think about making my own PCB with the original connector locations.

So to combat those two problems, one easy solution exists: move the motherboard tray to the left. But that is for another day !

Soooo......you want to move the tray how far to the left?  :)

Who is it??? Google Goggles cant even recognize it - and I know I've seen that album art before but cant place it - you're KILLING ME!!!

The album is "Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night"

Soooo......you want to move the tray how far to the left?  :)

Almost all the way, about 4cm and there is a 4,4cm space in between. Why, is there a problem you have encountered already ?

No

The album is "Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night"

Almost all the way, about 4cm and there is a 4,4cm space in between. Why, is there a problem you have encountered already ?

No, just wondering if you might need a custom tray with the ATX standoff positions moved 4cm left so you can stick in a custom PCB. Obviously then the PCI cards will not line up (as they'll then be 4cm off!). Anyway, email me if you want to play with this and I'll see what I can do on a no profit (for fun) basis.

I'm actually not going to use the PCI and PCI-e slots, as this will be a NAS build with onboard GPU. If anything, I'll get an IBM M1015 controller and just remove the bracket, since it's not needed anyway.

I'll email you about this :)

• 3 weeks later...

Today the custom tray Minihack did for me arrived, thank you so many times for it, you are the best !

And I immediately installed it and the new placement was like expected without any nasty suprises:

gb2Xrc1.jpg

Original tray

Ch8aVO9.jpg

New awesome customised tray

This allowed me to install the rear 92mm fans and leaves room for a connector PCB I'll be trying to make.

But I'm also going to need to make a shroud for the bottom fan to guide the air through the heatsink, as it is probably not being forced enough right now.

At the moment I'm trying to underclock my Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 as far as I can. By default it runs at the following:

3.0GHz = 333FSB * 9x multiplier @ 1.5v (I believe)

Now it's running at the following:

1.6GHz = 266FSB * 6x multiplier @ 1.2v

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ! I haven't done anything in the mean time, it's been very hot here in Belgium, or atleast for Belgian standards. All I know is that underclocking my CPU is not going to happen probably, so this isn't going to run 24/7 just yet :)

Done !

Or atleast the storage system is:

gslx07t.jpg

R16MYZp.jpg

Damn I'm so proud of myself I finished this as close to my wishes as possible. I didn't expect this to come out this good but I'm effing happy.

Now I'll need to buy hard drives I guess... And maybe a low power motherboard and CPU while I'm throwing cash at it.

• Like 1

Just the two Noctua 92mm's in the back in the original shroud. I'm hoping it will be enough and normally it should be. With the G2020 I should be safe as I've seen people run that chip without a heatsink (really).

I'm just about done configuring/planning the NAS hardware:

- Intel Pentium G2020

- ASRock B75 Pro3-M (8 SATA ports and all-black)

- Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 2x 4GB DDR3 RAM

I've sent a support request to Scythe for a socket 1155-1156 conversion bracket so I might be able to still use the heatsink.

Now comes the more difficult part: the PCB for the rear panel ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, on a Saturday, I received a package with two of the six 2TB disks that will go into the NAS, along with 9 SATA cables (some spares).

After some twiddling with a few shims, it looks like this:

V7J5LYi.jpg

The problem I have now is I'll need about 20 screws and and 24 nuts for it to fit, because I only found 8 that will work.

• Like 1

Hi Phunczz, I really like your approach. :thumbsup_anim:  Keeping the case as original as possible is also my goal for my Hackintosh.

I'm interested to see how your gonna make your PCB with the original connector locations. Can't wait to see your next posts.

• Like 1

Thank you ! I'll be getting a clipped PCB from a PowerMac logic board soon thanks to MiniHack from The Laser Hive, then I'll decide what I'll do. Depending on how clean I can make it, I'm going to keep the clipped PCB or make a PCB from scratch altough for me that's new territory. The problem isn't the PCB but the ports: they need to be the exact right size, orientation (FireWire) and mount height.

MiniHack is probably Santa Claus, he got me this:

JLJWJRL.jpg

The clipped PCB, held with the original motherboard standoffs. I plan to use them to shroud that part of the case.

zIrmFu1.jpg

Oh yeah ! I didn't know Apple designed a G5 without a modem port but it doesn't matter as it wouldn't be used anyway. I'm going to think about what I'm going to do with that port, maybe try a second RJ-45 if it would fit.

• Like 2