• 414 posts
Plexiglas or brushed metal ?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The beams I already have are made out of aluminium and since the entire case is too, I'd like to keep it that way :)
It's easier to do with DIY-tools than plexiglass as I only need to drill holes and cut strips at the correct lengths. For that to work well with plexiglass, I'd need professional equipment I don't have and can't afford just for my casemods. I'll be measuring tomorrow probably and hopefully have something tangeable this week.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
That's right, plexiglas work is not so easy and Minihack has the pro tools. Wait and see your work progress .

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm a sad panda. After taking measurements, I can't fit the SATA backplane AND the hard disks AND the Mac Pro HDD sleds. It would take up almost 20cm along with cables and considering I only have about 18.5 - 19.0cm of depth, this isn't going to work. I can't very well ditch the HDDs and without the SATA backplane the HDD sleds are also useless, so I'm going to ditch the sleds.

The problem is the HDD sleds stick out about 2.5cm beyond the hard disk and that is crucial to fit. Modding them isn't worth it, I'd have more success making my own (still an idea though). So for now I'll construct a cage as planned, just without the sleds. It actually doesn't matter, as the sleds wouldn't have altered the cage construction anyway.

Now I've taken measurements, I'm going to whip up something in Photoshop (not the right tool but I know it very well) and try to have something concrete to show soon !

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

I'm a sad panda. After taking measurements, I can't fit the SATA backplane AND the hard disks AND the Mac Pro HDD sleds. It would take up almost 20cm along with cables and considering I only have about 18.5 - 19.0cm of depth, this isn't going to work. I can't very well ditch the HDDs and without the SATA backplane the HDD sleds are also useless, so I'm going to ditch the sleds.

The problem is the HDD sleds stick out about 2.5cm beyond the hard disk and that is crucial to fit. Modding them isn't worth it, I'd have more success making my own (still an idea though). So for now I'll construct a cage as planned, just without the sleds. It actually doesn't matter, as the sleds wouldn't have altered the cage construction anyway.

Now I've taken measurements, I'm going to whip up something in Photoshop (not the right tool but I know it very well) and try to have something concrete to show soon !

Is it not possible to modify the sleds to make them sit closer to the rear edge of the HDs and then keep the cool look? maybe a thin adapter plate between the disk and the sled with some elongate slots??? Just a thought.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Modding them isn't really possible, the screws are too far to the back. The short version has them much closer to the front of the sled. I'm not sure the short version would work, I'll figure it out when my cage is done :)

Using/making an adapter would make it more difficult to install and I'd rather make my own or use the shorter ones if possible. Or a totally different solution, I'm still contemplating that :)

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Posted Image

I cut the aluminium beams into 17cm pieces, all with a saw and files. They may not all be accurate to the tenth of a mm but they are all 170mm :)

The keen eye will have noticed there are only 12 beams and I need 14. I just ran out of beam :) Getting one more soon !

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Posted Image

I finally have a throw-away system to test the PSU and as you can see, it's basic tasks work just fine. Right now I'm using Ultimate Boot CD to stress-test the computer, to see if it acts up. It seems to be stable. I'm still concerned about the SATA power connectors, I only have a few HDD's to test them out so the real stress-testing won't happen until I hook up all the drives.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
After about 36 hours of continuous number-crunching with prime95, it stays stable, although I can't say how much power it draws or how it will do when fully stressed, but I doubt that is ever going to happen.

Tomorrow I'm going to start at my new job, so I might not be able to get a lot of done to the storage system, but I'll try.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Today I got a hold of some more needed materials, namely an L-beam and just a strip. Both annodized:

Posted Image

Too bad they are a different thickness but I couldn't find any matching ones that were also annodized.

Question: would I best add some vibration damping material between the C-beams I had and these beams for the entire construction ? Or would it suffice that I try to make it as tightly fitting as possible ?

Also this:

Posted Image

Cheap pillar drill, I'll need this to correctly drill the holes for the storage system. Already "modded" it, with some grease where needed, vibration damping material on the belt casing, Magnet© for the drill key, and a better system for the transparant shield.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Cheap pillar drill ? I would like to have one cheap like yours. :D

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It was 90€, I was expecting about twice that, minimum :)
This is "Made in China", very literally. But it will do the job.

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
90 euros is excellent!

Was it new?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yes it was, found them in a large hardware store. But excludes the drills and many other small things like grease and ofcourse the build quality isn't all that.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
After measuring again and again, I've been able to get most of the planning for the storage system done.

I've cut/sawn the 4th SATA port of one of the SATA backplanes, because 8 disks (2 PCB's) won't fit, but 7 disks will.
MiniHack: you said you have done this before, does the cut PCB edge need to insulated ? I doubt it but just making sure.

Posted Image

I've did it like that so the screwholes AND the SATA-ports are equally spaced. I'm finnicky about that sort of stuff (OCD probably) and it will make it easier later on and look much better.

I'm using this to help me realise it:

Posted Image

Large version, large version with explanation

What you see illustrated is the cut SATA backplane + original backplane, seven 3,5" disks (with SATA connectors), rubber suspension and the aluminium C-beams.

If anyone is interested, I have the .PSD-file on hand.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

After measuring again and again, I've been able to get most of the planning for the storage system done.

I've cut/sawn the 4th SATA port of one of the SATA backplanes, because 8 disks (2 PCB's) won't fit, but 7 disks will.
MiniHack: you said you have done this before, does the cut PCB edge need to insulated ? I doubt it but just making sure.

Nope, no need for insulating. If the line of cut is sufficiently clean that no copper traces can cross (and to be honest it is almost impossible I think!) then there is no problem.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK thx for the very fast response ! I'll need to get a larger L-beam and some stainless steel rivets, then the assembly of the cage can begin.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
So it's been a while, almost a month. I haven't been sitting still, but I've been busy with my new job, friends getting married and ofcourse the bachelor party related to that. But I finally got some results to show you:

Posted Image
It was sunny here in Belgium today, so I made a photo outside.
You're seeying all the drilling I've been doing today. It's somewhere around 65 holes total.

Posted Image
The backplanes (one is cut one connector shorter) and the rear brackets. The C-shaped beams will be riveted onto these.

Posted Image
Here you see the back. I can reach all the ports but I need to remove the bracket from the case to do this. You also see the holes which I use to connect to the back of the case.

Posted Image
First placement, you finally see how it is going to be inside the case.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Finally another worthwile update. Sorry about the lack of momentum but I've been busy with my new job, bathroom renovations, new main computer, heat wave and various other things to keep me off of my mod. Let's also not forget I didn't think I'd finish this before September anyway, as I just wanted to do this project to "keep myself busy" :)

But I got some work done anyways !

mYM9VB8.jpg

This hardware just became available because my main computer got an upgrade. It's an Asus P5E-VM HDMI with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 8GB DDR2-8500 and one huge chunk of aluminium fins called the Scythe Mugen 2. That cooler has actually not been used a very long time as it did not fit my previous case. It does fit in the Powermac G5 case :)

GRiJgVQ.jpg

Look at the sheer size of that heatsink. It still amazes me. Free internet cookie to whomever can guess which album is playing in the back (the bottom icon on the screen).

gb2Xrc1.jpg

So it all fits in the case, lovely. Although the 24-pins connector is very tight, I might want to move it to the front if possible. But there is something wrong, can you see it ?

BSBr9hB.jpg

Actually, there are two things wrong: the motherboard connectors are blocking the dual-fan bracket from attaching AND the connectors are too close to the back to even think about making my own PCB with the original connector locations.

So to combat those two problems, one easy solution exists: move the motherboard tray to the left. But that is for another day !

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

Finally another worthwile update. Sorry about the lack of momentum but I've been busy with my new job, bathroom renovations, new main computer, heat wave and various other things to keep me off of my mod. Let's also not forget I didn't think I'd finish this before September anyway, as I just wanted to do this project to "keep myself busy" :)

But I got some work done anyways !

mYM9VB8.jpg

This hardware just became available because my main computer got an upgrade. It's an Asus P5E-VM HDMI with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 8GB DDR2-8500 and one huge chunk of aluminium fins called the Scythe Mugen 2. That cooler has actually not been used a very long time as it did not fit my previous case. It does fit in the Powermac G5 case :)

GRiJgVQ.jpg

Look at the sheer size of that heatsink. It still amazes me. Free internet cookie to whomever can guess which album is playing in the back (the bottom icon on the screen).

gb2Xrc1.jpg

So it all fits in the case, lovely. Although the 24-pins connector is very tight, I might want to move it to the front if possible. But there is something wrong, can you see it ?

BSBr9hB.jpg

Actually, there are two things wrong: the motherboard connectors are blocking the dual-fan bracket from attaching AND the connectors are too close to the back to even think about making my own PCB with the original connector locations.

So to combat those two problems, one easy solution exists: move the motherboard tray to the left. But that is for another day !

Soooo......you want to move the tray how far to the left?  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PowerMac, G5, modding, casemodding, PowerMac G5, mATX, microATX, NAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy