Phunczz's G5 Homage Project

Phunczz

104 posts in this topic

So I got a hold on a pretty complete and OK state PowerMac G5 case, without the logic board and no PSU, although the PSU casing is present. I actually didn't know what to do with it when I bought it, all I knew is wanted to do a project with a Mac Pro or PowerMac G5 for a very long time.

Here are some photos:

1SiepSF.jpg

QzWLL9p.jpg

In the foto's above I removed the optical drive since I'll probably not use it or replace it with a SATA one, it's just not a priority at all. It also has no physical damage except some scratches. I don't know if I'll leave it like that or I'll treat it with a new coat of anodising, it's also one of the last things on my mind.

The plan now is to make it into a NAS, since I need lots of room for disks and this case can supply me with that space. I want to get about 8 hard drives in there as a starting point in the same way as another modder did. But I'm contemplating on using the Mac Pro hard drive brackets with a custom-built system to hang them all horizontally, in a vertical arrangement.

If anyone has the exact measurements of those Mac Pro HDD trays, I owe you one.

I'm also planning of putting the entire motherboard inside, using a seperate custom board for the connections on the back. I saw that someone was making them as a project, but it didn't include the FireWire or optical ports, which I intend to do include. I'm still not sure if this is doable but this project doesn't need to be finished any time soon, so I'll probably get this done later anyway.

As the PC hardware goes, nothing is set in stone. It depends when most of the work is complete and how much disposable income I have at that time I guess. At the moment I'm thinking it will be my retiring current system, which is the following:

- micro-ATX Asus P5E-VM HDMI (onboard video)

- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850

- 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-8500

- bunch of 3,5" hard drives

I also have a Scythe Mugen II CPU-cooler somewhere that I never got to install due to my current case not having enough room.

As the power supply I'm not sure what I will do, except that I will use the hidden compartment and the case of the original PSU to get one in there. I have an Antec NeoPower Blue 650W PSU and a Shuttle PC50 250W PSU (very compact), not sure which one to use yet but I have options.

Also something worth mentioning: the standard 120mm fan is specced at 12V and 0.37A, while the two 60mm fans in the Apple PSU case are specced at 12V and 0.17A each. This results in a nice 0.34A when both are connected, so the PSU can use them without a problem.

This is what I'm planning for the PSU:

The original PSU:

ICgIZDT.jpg

Placement:

LZRCU46.jpg

What I'm going for:

RdGFSuo.jpg

The plan is to have the modular ports exposed so I can easily add cables. Not certain about this though, but it's an option.

Since I'll only need two SATA powercables for the Corsair SATA backplane kits, I decided it was easier to just solder the cables to the PSU PCB:

hW4oWxq.jpg

I also connected the fans which just work because they have a comparable power draw (12V 0.17A x2 vs 12V 0.37A) as the Antec's original fan.

You can also see I provisioned a connector for the PSU, should I ever decide to change it, it will be easier.

And this is how it looks with the shelf on the PSU:

91pvV4F.jpg

I also put the rear fan frame in for reference.

Fans:

aIRCJor.jpg

2x Noctua NF-B9 fans and 1x Noctua NF-R8 fan to replace the original fans. I needed the included rubber mounts for the 80mm fan as I managed to break off two of the 10-year old original ones. Luckily they won't be in the direct line of sight when you open the case. The ones on the 92mm fan bracket I managed to preserve.

h50sOIo.jpg

2x Corsair SATA 6Gbps Upgrade kit for 800D. This is basically a very cheap and elegant solution to add multiple SATA ports, only uses one port for power and comes included with a nice male-female cable. I plan on using these in the front of the case.

On the overall look, I want to keep it as clean as possible and as original as possible. When all the preparations are complete, I'll likely include the G5 shield to cover the motherboard. I've already ordered replacement fans (from Noctua) and two 4-port SATA backplane kits from Corsair, along with the front-panel I/O cable from BlackCH.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome !

• Like 2

First update:

Today I emptied the entire case and I started work on the PSU. I have an Antec NeoPower Blue 650W PSU as a donor and it fits. Also something worth mentioning: the standard 120mm fan is specced at 12V and 0.37A, while the two 60mm fans in the Apple PSU case are specced at 12V and 0.17A each. This results in a nice 0.34A when both are connected, so the PSU can use them without a problem.

This is what I'm planning for the PSU:

The original PSU:

ICgIZDT.jpg

Placement:

LZRCU46.jpg

What I'm going for:

RdGFSuo.jpg

The plan is to have the modular ports exposed so I can easily add cables.

• Like 1

I'm always a fan or reusing the original TeslaConverter shell. I had that big debate of should I modify the shell for the plugs, or just tuck it all inside the shell. I went with tucking it in the shell, because those cables are long so it helps with management, and also - how often will you be changing/adding/removing those cables? I can anticipate me adding maybe two more cables ever (one for more HDD and one for a second GPU) - and those are maybes. If you are going for the clean look, I would suggest you think about your future potential for this machine before you cut something. If you aren't worried about the stock look, then cut away!!

Yeah like you said: I'm not entirely sure I'd ever NEED the capability to add or remove cables. Because it's going to be a NAS for probably it's entire lifetime, I won't be messing around with GPU's and extra fans that would potentially need more cables. Also the Corsair backplane kits only need one power plug for four disks, so I can basically use one SATA-power cable, the 24-pin plug and the 4-pin plug to power the entire system.

The easier way is to just leave everything inside, as it requires zero modification. I'll post what I'll decide to do.

Basically, I don't have most of the hardware available yet to finish the computer part inside the case, I'm just preparing for "it's arrival" :) But I'll need plenty of time to figure out the drive cages anyway because I want a reliable and "worthy" solution.

Another update, some ordered parts have arrived:

aIRCJor.jpg

2x Noctua NF-B9 fans and 1x Noctua NF-R8 fan to replace the original fans. I needed the included rubber mounts for the 80mm fan as I managed to break off two of the 10-year old original ones. Luckily they won't be in the direct line of sight when you open the case. The ones on the 92mm fan bracket I managed to preserve.

h50sOIo.jpg

2x Corsair SATA 6Gbps Upgrade kit for 800D. This is basically a very cheap and elegant solution to add multiple SATA ports, only uses one port for power and comes included with a nice male-female cable. I plan on using these in the front of the case.

• Like 1

Thx I actually found them through another G5 modder !

Since I'll only need two SATA powercables for the Corsair SATA backplane kits, I decided it was easier to just solder the cables to the PSU PCB:

hW4oWxq.jpg

I also connected the fans which just work because they have a comparable power draw (12V 0.17A x2 vs 12V 0.37A) as the Antec's original fan.

You can also see I provisioned a connector for the PSU, should I ever decide to change it, it will be easier.

And this is how it looks with the shelf on the PSU:

91pvV4F.jpg

I also put the rear fan frame in for reference.

I really like the SATA solution you have chosen, looking forward to more updates!!

These are the same Corsair plates I use in my hotswapper.....

p1111382.jpg

Need to be very precise with the alignment of the disks to the SATA plugs, but they are definitely the way to go. Not found any better. I only managed to squeeze 7 of the 8 though in the case between the top shelf and the power supply [i cut the bottom SATA connector from the board].

They have quite a lot of spacing between disks and so are easy to keep cool too.

Phunccz - I like the way you are going with your build. Looks very good and clean.

Thanks, I do find it strange that you could only fit 7 of the 8 drives, to me it seemed like 8 would fit. But I'll have to double-check that again. Thank you for your contribution to the community with your solutions, yours were the first I was looking into.

Thanks, I do find it strange that you could only fit 7 of the 8 drives, to me it seemed like 8 would fit. But I'll have to double-check that again. Thank you for your contribution to the community with your solutions, yours were the first I was looking into.

Yes, you might be right there.

I was limited by the materials and solution i adopted as for my acrylic holder i am using the fixing points of the fans to secure some of the HD rails in position and had to juggle the dimensions a little. The config. I settled on gave a nice fan mount plus disk storage compromise. If you are not limited by that then you could push the top plate up a little more than i have it and close the gap between the two SATA backplanes and it may just fit all 8 in that space. Also I have a 5mm acrylic slab top and bottom so take those away and there is another 1 cm to play with. I didn't bother trying harder to get the 8th drive in because I figured a mobo is likely to have 8 SATA ports and seven HDs plus 1 SATA DVD is 8....

I might have found something useful for the HDD mounting at my local hardware store:

zJhMby6.jpg

QCVpcQz.jpg

It's an anodized aluminium beam meant as a curtain hanger. It roughly matches the interior color (different texture) but only to the keen eye. I'm pondering this as a good way to mount the hard drives with some rubber "wheels", but it could also be used to attach the SATA-backplane I guess. Still not sure what I'll do with it, depends on how easy I find something useful as a harddisk suspension mechanism.

• Like 1

I might have found something useful for the HDD mounting at my local hardware store:

zJhMby6.jpg

QCVpcQz.jpg

It's an anodized aluminium beam meant as a curtain hanger. It roughly matches the interior color (different texture) but only to the keen eye. I'm pondering this as a good way to mount the hard drives with some rubber "wheels", but it could also be used to attach the SATA-backplane I guess. Still not sure what I'll do with it, depends on how easy I find something useful as a harddisk suspension mechanism.

That may do it.

This is what I made my first one out of (before I got the cutter).

post-255812-0-10946800-1365081664_thumb.jpg

Basically channel, plus some vertical bits and a couple of Phobya fan shrouds.

Worked well.

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about although my mind is still set on using the Apple Mac Pro hard drive sleds, but they will probably require some decent amount of work to fit. Maybe if I find a Mac Pro case for cheap... But those tend to be rare.

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about although my mind is still set on using the Apple Mac Pro hard drive sleds, but they will probably require some decent amount of work to fit. Maybe if I find a Mac Pro case for cheap... But those tend to be rare.

I just happen to have a set of four of those here that I am not planning on using at the moment.....

Not much happened in the last week as I was focused on my ICT admin education. Today I received the front-panel I/O cable from BlackCH, looks very nice ! I'm also awaiting a package from MiniHack, who happened to have a set of Mac Pro drive sleds he wanted to part with. Once these arrive, I can start thinking about the 7 or 8 disk storage bays I want to fabricate !

Still looking for some random hardware to stress-test the PSU, because it was modified, I want to make sure it works properly before I fry decent hardware.

MiniHack: I'm contemplating the motherboard tray again and since I want to use the original port locations (maybe a homemade PCB, not sure yet), I thought I couldn't use your motherboard tray. But looking at your website I'm in doubt, maybe it just might still work ! apparently I can !

P8040921-e1348147205181.jpg

With your motherboard tray, would I be able to still put a small & thin PCB were the original back I/O connectors used to be ? And if so, how much room is there ?

EDIT: nevermind, I didn't see the image above but now I see this is going to work. Excellent, I'll place my order soon !

Great, looking forward to it ! It would be a nice change to just bolt something without problems, at the moment I'm struggling with an SSD that started to spew "bad sectors" at me and I managed to destroy the network stack (couldn't even ping itself !) from a more complex setup in my training. Casemodding seems so easy and straight-forward sometimes :hammer:

The motherboard tray from MiniHack / thelaserhive.com arrived today (thx dude, fast shipping !) and I installed it. I didn't look at the installation instructions before I ordered it and I didn't know that I had to cut off some of the stand-offs, so it was a little more work than I anticipated. I thought they would come off willingly, but apparently, Apple's subsidiary secured them really well. So with the proper tools those stand-offs got cut faster than I shave and with some more manual labor they were a little more finished.

After about an hour total I got this:

1Yoilod.jpg

Yes, the protective film is still on it. That's because I'm not done yet at all with this case, still have to fabricate the storage system to the left of the motherboard tray and still have to find some hardware to test the PSU. Also, I'm waiting on the new Haswell chips to arrive from Intel and a nice mITX motherboard to use in my main computer (the G5 is going to be a NAS case), so this project will probably be really really finished somewhere around August when the Ncase M1 gets delivered and a nice H87 or Z87 mITX motherboard finds it's way to retail.

Next up: storage system !!

Thanks for the support ! But I'm going to finish it this year, no matter what. The case should be complete in the summer, probably. I don't like projects not being finished, I'm already feeling like I'm slacking off :)

For your case you didn't need to cut standoffs, just remove a few.

What was in the instructions was to use the shelf screw points (which I see you did) and then look at which standoffs you have for securing the bottom of the tray. In yours I see you have standoffs outside the mobo footprint and you used those (three or four) to secure it.

The other ones, the ones inside the mobo footprint that you don't have to use, you could have just used the sideways tap with a hammer method and they pop right out......

Only times you need to shorten original standoffs is for those few cases and kits where there are no convenient points at the bottom to secure the tray too.

:D Never mind though, you did a great job.

You have though prompted me to notice that I need to re-write those instructions again as I have just re-read the "original mATX kit" instructions and see that they do not specifically mention the sideways hammer tap method for standoff removal. :wallbash:

Yeah, I meant I needed to remove those useless ball-headed stand-offs either way, I thought they were screwed in but the were not :/ And because I basically had to cut off three, why not just cut the ones that were in my way :) But indeed, I didn't know about the hamer-tap method. Not a problem, those things got shreded anyway :D

I indeed looked at the bottom three to use as the reference, since it seemed to fit there. I found two more that worked out, one on the far right and one on the far left, just above the center line. It feels sturdy enough that it will never come off so I'm happy with that. The top three I need to secured when I put the top shelf back in but the screws in the package weren't long enough or I'm missing something. The top shelf should be sandwiched in between the sidepanel of the case and the plexi motherboard tray, right ? But no worries, my dad always collected thousands of screws so I'll find the ones I need in no-time.

Basically, your tray saved me incredible amounts of time, money and headaches, so I'm very happy with your product !