• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Make paper stand ins for your parts. Use artboard or heavy weight cardstock. Print out a to size photo of your motherboard and adhere to artboard. You'll cut out the guess work.

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts

Good news & Bad news:

Good: I was talking to my wife about watercooling and she said it would look stupid (even though the side panels would be on?), so I showed her the "Gunmetal G5" on G5modders and she REALLY liked it.

Bad: I have an extra $100 added to my budget for watercooling, so I'll probably get one of those H80 CPU coolers. Why is this bad? She's going to expect it to look like the Gunmetal G5...

Arghhhhh.

Are our wives related? This EXACT thing happened when I was explaining to my wife why I wanted to get my case anodized. LOL!

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
So... Good news/Bad news/Good news.

Good #1 - Got 1st State tax return money, waiting for the 2nd State (Yay moving) & Federal return, and ordering some parts (You'll be hearing from me VERY SOON, Laserhive).

Bad - Opened my PC to list what I am keeping and realized just how OLD some of my parts are. I was only figuring on saving HDDs and DVD drive, but they are IDE. How old are these parts?! I don't even remember. My mass storage HDDs are IDE SATA, but I don't want to install an OS to a 1TB+ drive. These are just file dumps... I don't want to spend days sorting and moving to make room for an OS install.

Good #2 - Going to pick up a LiteOn Sata DVD RW drive for $20 and a SanDisk 64 GB SSD (p# SDSSDP-064G-G25) for $70. Why am I going a bit cheap? Because these parts weren't in my budget and I am not going to use lower spec'd parts to try to gain the $90 back in other areas.

Even going with a less expensive SSD I should see vast improvements over that old 7200rpm IDE HDD, but going the $90 over my original budget kinda sucks.

Anyhow, that's my update. :D

Edited by shiftysamurai, 11 March 2013 - 10:22 PM.

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
$90 you can get a 128gb SSD. Just saying. Slickdeals.net is your friend.

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
But the $90 I am spending is for both an optical drive and the SSD. :(

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts
Don't you just hate money? Seriously if I win the lottery, I'm buying a stockpile of modding supplies and computer components and then opening a store that a select few can just browse through with a shopping cart. Your total today sir? $0.

MOD ON!

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Mo' money, mo' problems - yeah I know it's more money but I wanted to point out $20 more gives you double the storage. Just a thought.

SirKeldon

SirKeldon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Don't you just hate money? Seriously if I win the lottery, I'm buying a stockpile of modding supplies and computer components and then opening a store that a select few can just browse through with a shopping cart. Your total today sir? $0.

MOD ON!

Count me in! :D

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
You guys hijacked my thread!

Anyhow, UPDATE:

I just dropped $798.40 at NewEgg (with shipping) for all of my internals. Going with a red color scheme, which I didn't think I would ever care about, but for some reason I do. All cables, fans, RAM... It's all got to be black, silver, or red. MIGHT have to try out some sleeving, but I don't want to rip the connectors off of a new PSU (yeah, I void warranties, but not typically the first day).

So, I've got everything ordered (fingers crossed) and on the way. I'm betting that the MOBO tray and rear I/O panel from Laserhive will take the longest to get here, but that's just because I ordered it last Friday.

I am officially excited again! Can't wait to start actually building instead of just planning and shopping (and shopping, and shopping, and planning, and shopping....). I am giving myself 2 weeks after I receive all of my parts to have it all put together and working (I didn't say "finished"). I plan on having quite a few pictures taken during my build process, hopefully I don't screw up, but if I do I want to be able to let others know what NOT to do. :D

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Build, build and pix, pics and one day, it will be finished. We always learn from our mistakes and I learned a lot, I can tell. :unsure:

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts

I am officially excited again! Can't wait to start actually building instead of just planning and shopping (and shopping, and shopping, and planning, and shopping....). I am giving myself 2 weeks after I receive all of my parts to have it all put together and working (I didn't say "finished"). I plan on having quite a few pictures taken during my build process, hopefully I don't screw up, but if I do I want to be able to let others know what NOT to do. :D

GIT 'ER DONE!

Seriously excited to see what you put together!! My Laser Hive stuff came pretty quickly, and I even just ordered some audio cables from the UK and they only took 8 days to get here. Honestly with Newegg Super Saver (if you chose it) you might get everything about the same time!

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 616 posts
Shifty, your stuff is on the way.....
:wink2:

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Shifty, your stuff is on the way.....
:wink2:

WooHoo! Still waiting for the front I/O cable, but that's coming from Spain (I think...) and you never know what customs is going to do with your stuff. :/

Also, I think I may have ordered the wrong size fan from NewEgg. The link and page title say it's 80mm, but the description lists it as 92mm. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186076

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...

Also, I think I may have ordered the wrong size fan from NewEgg. The link and page title say it's 80mm, but the description lists it as 92mm. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

That is weird... take some screenshots and report that to them - especially if you have to RMA because its the wrong size. My cable from Spain took about two weeks. Customs shouldn't be an issue since its listed as a gift and valued under a hundred bucks. It was VERY worth the wait for that cable!

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts

WooHoo! Still waiting for the front I/O cable, but that's coming from Spain (I think...) and you never know what customs is going to do with your stuff. :/

If you bought the F9, it's definitely the 92mm. The F8 is their 80mm fan, and I found another newegg listing for the F8 which had 80mm in the description, so I think you're good. Great fan choice by the way, I review for Arctic and their fans are pretty dang quiet and efficient!

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I debated a while between some SilenX (color coordinating) red fans, but I've used Arctic before and for the pricedifference, compared to a fan that was red, I had to go with Arctic even if it doesn't exactly "match". I went with CO because my system doesn't get powered off.

Instead I bought some Rosewill 120mm red fans for the front. Some 2x4gb red highlighted GSkill RAM.. And then I bought 3 (Red) Rosewill Sata cables. All of mine are black or orange. :P

Also picked up an SSD (with more red on it, but that is just coincidence).

NewEgg is saying Tuesday next week for my parts, I guess being so close to their NJ warehouse cuts "whenever" shipping to 5 day.... /sarcasm

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts
Their super saver shipping is the reason I don't use Newegg. Now that sounds terribly unfair of me given that it's free, but I decided to go with Amazon Prime instead. $80 a year, and ALL of my purchases arrive two days (sometimes next day). They have about 90% of the stock that Newegg does at very similar prices.

I live about 14 hours drive from the main Newegg warehouse, I'm not going to wait 10+ days for such a small distance...lol

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Amazon was my first choice, I am also a Prime member, but when I was pricing the same parts on Amazon (with Prime eligibility) I was closer to $900.

I figure I won't have the cable for at least a few more days, and the rear I/O panel for at least another week, so having the free shipping (and $100 less price tag) is better, even if it takes a bit more time.

I originally wanted to get the Laserhive stuff first, followed by the PC hardware, and the cable last. Looks like I'll get it in the opposite order.

Also, not yet listed above is the front fan bracket that I am getting from Laserhive as well. 2 x120mm fans and I don't have to try to figure out the best way to mount them? Yes please. Still working out where to put my mass storage drives, and the SSD, but that will most likely change when the parts all show up.

I feel the need to say that my wife is being increasingly awesome with this project. What started as me upgrading my existing PC for $500 has turned into a completely different project that will end up at least twice as expensive. She's seen me spend hours looking over parts trying to stay within a budget and she says "You are going to have so much time in this, don't cheap out, just make it a great PC."

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Oh snap, a double post! So, I just found out that my good old cordless Dremel (from 2004?) is totally seized up. Looks like it sat in water or something, no idea how/why that would have happened, but it is not besides the point. I'm trying to decide which rotary tool to go with, and what attachment to use to cut the aluminum on the back of my Mac Pro case. Not sure if I should get some EZ406 reinforced wheels, or just spring for the more expensive EZ545 diamond cutoff wheel.

Back in the day I used my Dremel with the standard cutoff wheel attachments and blasted through 4 or 5 on what I thought was thin/weak material. Having to remove the broken pieces of wheel from the bit, replacing... Jeesh. The EZ system looks good, but what would be BETTER is if I didn't break a wheel in the first place.

Anyone used the diamond cutoff wheels?

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts
Honestly, the standard (reinforced) metal cutting EZ wheels will be just fine, it's what I use. Diamond-tipped are good, and you can get by with using a single one for your cut, BUT it is still metal, and eventually will wear down to the point of being unusable. I have experience with both, but I'm just not sure that the price premium on the diamond-tipped wheels is equal to its durability.

Basically, six of one, half a dozen of the other, but the EZ system is far better than the older mandrel system - I have yet to break a wheel or strip out the inside of one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: G5, Mod, mATX

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy