Unigine Valley (Highend OpenGL) Benchmark

mitch_de

78 posts in this topic

I will give you my result when I return home.

But I see blackosx also beat me in Furmark test

So 5770 > 6670 :huh:

really 5770 = 6770 > 6670 !

@Alex009988: deactivate AA for ATI graphics.

OpenGL Extension Viewer just crashes every time I try to run the OpenGL 3 tests. Any idea why that happens? Every other graphics test I've tried works fine.

Update OpenGL Extension Viewer. Or just download more recent version.

Update OpenGL Extension Viewer. Or just download more recent version.

It is the latest from the AppStore, version 4.0.8 (7). Really strange but I suspect it's just the app, I still haven't bumped into another one crashing because of OpenGL.

@blackosx: you seem to have the same graphics card I have, can you run OpenGL Extension Viewer's core tests?

I tested OGLV also with Core setting / Nvidia 9600 GT. Crashes also.

I am sure with OS X up to 10.8.2 it didn't crash using that core / 3.1,2 OpenGL tests - only 3.3+ wasnt benched because my gpu hasnt the features.

Perhaps some prob with 4.0.8 & 10.8.3 - homepage shows 4.0.10 - http://www.realtech-...ew/download.php

but the App Store wasnt already updated (stays at version 4.0.8) - no other way to get the download ;)

Same happend with version 4.0.9 - Feb 2013 - never came up in the App Store. Perhaps Apple has some problem with that?

Or works Apple very slow updating freeware stuff in the app Store - no money to get ?!

@blackosx: you seem to have the same graphics card I have, can you run OpenGL Extension Viewer's core tests?

v4.0.8 from the App Store crashes for me also if I run the core tests.

v4.0.0 works with the core tests.

EDIT: v4.0.0 file from link removed from my dropbox

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Here are my results, the specs of my "mac" are in the signature.

[bASIC]

Quality= Medium

Stereo 3D = Disabled

Anti-aliasing = Off

Resolution = 1280x720

[EXTREME]

Quality= Ultra

Stereo 3D = Disabled

Anti-aliasing = Off

Resolution = 1280x720

post-20235-0-48439100-1363980288_thumb.png

post-20235-0-30492400-1363980294_thumb.png

Thanks, that one works. So it was the app after all, I suspected that much.

@mitch_de: I've noticed the crashing issue with OGLV since 10.8.2 but it was probably due to the version from the AppStore (it's dated 27/09/2012).

EDIT: v4.0.0 file from link removed from my dropbox

Hmm, my version also is 4.0.0. The best version?

Version diff is MOSTLY only adding new Mac Modell identfier and (less) changes in the html result layout. So no major code changes for the benchparts itself.

For result i think version doesnt matter - so as longs as the bench results stay compareable its no prob to use older version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My scores:

Basic give the same score as Extreme. There must be a bottleneck somewhere...

Windows gives a much better result:

Again, The enigine runs native OpenGL and not DIrectX wrapper > OpenGL.

You may try to set OpenGL (API Setting) in WIndows to compare OpenGL vs OpenGL

As every complex (more real game) CPU does matter, so C2D is the bottleneck for your fast gpu (compared to C2D).

My much slower 9600 GT has much more FPS diff between BASIC and EXTREME using C2D, because in this case GPU is the bottleneck.

I added the Windows OpenGL scores to my post above.

I am just sort of surprised that my OSX scores are so much worse than the other scores on this topic despite the decent GPU.

So far the only game that I have so far that is significantly CPU limited on this rig is Batman: Arkham City, most games run over 60FPS on high quality settings. (Windows though, I haven't done much OSX gaming on this system)

But, yeah the mobo and CPU are due for an upgrade.

You see, OpenGL Win is less fps that DirectX Win. How much depends on OpenGL driver speeds - other gpu may have different diff.

CPU/Systembus speeds has often effect, at least on newer highend games. Games magz test gpus always with fastest possible i7 + fast DDR3 ram to avoid much cpu dependences. Some magz disabled (for test) some of the cpu cores of Quad CPU or i7 and most new games run much slower (with fast gpu) running 2 cores vs 3 or 4 cores.

Thats the negative side of such game near featured benches vs. more syntetic benches, which have much less cpu load than such benches or real games.

Like grass is moved by the cpu of course ....

Yep, you see now diff between Windows OpenGL and OS X OpenGL is very less! No major speed diff = Unique Engine runs native OpenGL and not any Direktx wrapper for OpenGl. Otherwise the OS X OpenGL result would be much lower.

Also http://www.g-truc.net , wich test monthly OpenGL featues (by an set of OpenGL samles using newest (as OpenGL spezif tells) features) compared Unique Engine OS X and there is no significant speed diff between Win OpenGL and OS X Opengl - sometimes (gpu type) OS X is little better, sometimes Win. Direktx vs OpenGL is an other case ;)

Bildschirmfoto 2013-05-04 um 07.32.27.jpg

Also interesting , they test monthly the different OpenGL features in "real programming life". Apple stopped adding OpenGL features at OpenGL 3.2. All newer features are not supported or only a few of them = incomplete = not usable.

http://www.g-truc.ne...-0566.html#menu

April 2013 test ( compared to march 2013, you see AMD implemented / debugged some of the 4.3 features = more % in that samples case)

Bildschirmfoto 2013-05-04 um 07.38.54.jpg

% means how many of the OpenGL test code works or not.

March 2013 test:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-05-04 um 07.45.31.jpg

Compared to older monthly tests, Win OpenGL makes big steps to get much more OpenGL features working bugfree (or even impletemt them compared to apple). Apples % stays same of many months (doesn't matter 10.8.1, 10.8.2 or 10.8.3 : same OpenGL 3.2 barrier ) :(

That OS X OpenGL 3.2 "barrier" doesn't mean there are no OpenGL 3.3, 4.0 features in the Apple OpenGL - OpenGl ExtensionsViewer can show that - but they are uncompleted (

Using newer OpenGL features (sure the bug free ones ;) ) means : Some features an be used , like tessellation or not.

But much more interesting, new features reduce cpu usage load (using OpenGL commands) much or use faster working OpenGL commands.

Its like using SSE(2/3/4) commands of the cpu or using workarounds to do same stuff but using instead one sse command lots of "normal" cpu commands in an row.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...