[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

Hi GhostRaider. I followed your guide and have QE enabled (I think).

But I can't open the "shell" screensaver and redrawing the user interface in Mainstage 2.2. is laggy.

I ran "OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.0" but the details are different to your screenshot.

Mine says OpenGL version "2.1 APPLE-8.0.61"

But yours says "2.1 INTEL-8.10.44"

If I click on compatibility and change it to core the program quits.

The laptop also "chirps" and whines while OpenGL is being used.

Any ideas? I'm on 10.8.2 and my system otherwise is great, I get no CPU spikes while the GFX lags.

Hi GhostRaider. I followed your guide and have QE enabled (I think).

But I can't open the "shell" screensaver and redrawing the user interface in Mainstage 2.2. is laggy.

I ran "OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.0" but the details are different to your screenshot.

Mine says OpenGL version "2.1 APPLE-8.0.61"

But yours says "2.1 INTEL-8.10.44"

If I click on compatibility and change it to core the program quits.

The laptop also "chirps" and whines while OpenGL is being used.

Any ideas? I'm on 10.8.2 and my system otherwise is great, I get no CPU spikes while the GFX lags.

I really think you should check your installation. Again check your kexts, DSDT, SSDT. Describe to me this chirp or whining sound because I'm concerned and I don't know what that sounds like. If I have to add more info here to my guide then I will.

As for OpenGLEV, I'm not sure why. Maybe upgrade to 10.8.3? and well I don't seem to get this "core" menu.

post-620531-0-25294200-1363644134_thumb.png

Hmm.. should this work with a Asus K52 (Optimus) - i5-520M?

It may be possible. I believe someone here did manage to make it work. As long as your internal laptop is connected through LDVS and not eDP then it should work. You will have to try out and see. As everyone else says, the nVidia graphics card is connected through Intel HD Graphics IGPU, but sadly your nVidia graphics card will probably never see the light of day on OS X. Except for AMD Radeon users.

• Like 1

It may be possible. I believe someone here did manage to make it work. As long as your internal laptop is connected through LDVS and not eDP then it should work. You will have to try out and see. As everyone else says, the nVidia graphics card is connected through Intel HD Graphics IGPU, but sadly your nVidia graphics card will probably never see the light of day on OS X. Except for AMD Radeon users.

Thanks for your answer. It seems that my screen is connected through LDVS.

So for what I understand now, I should get a full-screen resolution (1366x768) and QE/CI? :D

Yeah, it would be nice if their's gonna be a solution for Optimus in the future. On Linux it is working as it should be. :)

Thanks for your answer. It seems that my screen is connected through LDVS.

So for what I understand now, I should get a full-screen resolution (1366x768) and QE/CI? :D

Yeah, it would be nice if their's gonna be a solution for Optimus in the future. On Linux it is working as it should be. :)

You will get full resolution and QE/CI with the Intel HD Graphics IGPU if you follow the steps. B) Of course a dedicated graphics card will always provide better performance but for the most part the IGPU is sufficient. I think my laptop is happier running OS X than Windows. Windows is currently having an identity crisis.

• Like 1

You will get full resolution and QE/CI with the Intel HD Graphics IGPU if you follow the steps. B) Of course a dedicated graphics card will always provide better performance but for the most part the IGPU is sufficient. I think my laptop is happier running OS X than Windows. Windows is currently having an identity crisis.

Thanks! It is so strange that it is working now.. I'm following this forum a lot over the years, and finally there is a solution. :D

Hi GhostRaider,

Is there anyway I can use framebuffer kext (not the alternative one)? Or do you have any idea how it is possible? Because it seems that some features are disabled with that alternative one. I assumed this because of the Info.plist.

Thanks.

Hi GhostRaider,

Is there anyway I can use framebuffer kext (not the alternative one)? Or do you have any idea how it is possible? Because it seems that some features are disabled with that alternative one. I assumed this because of the Info.plist.

Thanks.

The alternative framebuffer is there in case your computer freezes and don't want to bother editing stuff. Its up to you if you want to edit the values in Info.plist. Everything is provided for you, so you can compare the original with the alternative one. You may have to rebuild the cache each time you edit the plist file until you are satisfied.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I've used search and haven't found the solution for my problem.

Here is the situation:

I've installed Mountain Lion on my Acer 7741 and got everything working expect for the WLAN and Graphics.

By using this tutorial I've managed to get CI working, but when I try to enable QE, I'm getting black screen.

There are few ways i have tried to get my 1st gen Intel graphics working (I have to mention that this is the only graphics i have in my laptop)

I've tried default framebuffer from this tutorial and got infinite spinning loop at the Apple boot screen.

I've tried alternate FB also, and the spinning wheel stopped spinning, but I've used Natit and bypassed that screen, but black screen situation occurred.

Also, I've tried the last part with manual resolution settings, but no luck.

Is there any way for me to get a fully functional graphics?

If there is someone willing to help, I'll try to provide any additional info if needed.

I hope there is someone who solved this problem.

Cheers

Hi there, thanks for your work and for helping us, by the way, i've got a partially working Asus N53JL everything seems to work apart the graphic accelleration, i've tried your guide but, with or without natit and with the two FB kext but i can't pass the apple logo screen, without any panic or particular errors in verbose, it's really driving me mad, please help.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I've used search and haven't found the solution for my problem.

Here is the situation:

I've installed Mountain Lion on my Acer 7741 and got everything working expect for the WLAN and Graphics.

By using this tutorial I've managed to get CI working, but when I try to enable QE, I'm getting black screen.

There are few ways i have tried to get my 1st gen Intel graphics working (I have to mention that this is the only graphics i have in my laptop)

I've tried default framebuffer from this tutorial and got infinite spinning loop at the Apple boot screen.

I've tried alternate FB also, and the spinning wheel stopped spinning, but I've used Natit and bypassed that screen, but black screen situation occurred.

Also, I've tried the last part with manual resolution settings, but no luck.

Is there any way for me to get a fully functional graphics?

If there is someone willing to help, I'll try to provide any additional info if needed.

I hope there is someone who solved this problem.

Cheers

Okay, delete all the Intel HD Graphics kexts and Natit. Rebuild cache and reboot. Let's start fresh.

You will need these kexts:

AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelHDGraphicsVA.bundle

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.bundle

Natit.kext

So make sure you choose the appropriate version. 10.8.2 kexts are for OS X 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 kexts are for 10.8.3. Install all the Intel HD Graphics kexts and choose the default framebuffer (not alternative). Also install natit kext.

Rebuild cache and reboot. report back and tell me the result.

Hi there, thanks for your work and for helping us, by the way, i've got a partially working Asus N53JL everything seems to work apart the graphic accelleration, i've tried your guide but, with or without natit and with the two FB kext but i can't pass the apple logo screen, without any panic or particular errors in verbose, it's really driving me mad, please help.

So what happens in the boot screen? Infinite spin, frozen?

• Like 1

Thank you for your fast response.

I've used the kext from this tutorial and got messed up screen.

Boot went fine and the screen is scrambled.

Here is the photo I've took to show you how exactly it looks like:

Photo_2013_03_29_12_55_05_AM.jpg

Thank you for your fast response.

I've used the kext from this tutorial and got messed up screen.

Boot went fine and the screen is scrambled.

Here is the photo I've took to show you how exactly it looks like:

Photo_2013_03_29_12_55_05_AM.jpg

Something is not right. The framebuffer is not loaded. You get this screen if you only installed AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext without the framebuffer.

Let's do another test. Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and make sure you installed a patched framebuffer. (Don't use the alternate one). Upload picture if possible. Which version of OS X are you using?

• Like 1

I've installed those kexts and i don't have qe/ci or the proper resolution.

Everything looks the same as it looks without any of the AppleIntel kext installed.

Just to be sure that I followed you right, this is the situation without AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext installed at all and using patched framebuffer.

Here is the screenshot:

Screen_Shot_2013_03_29_at_1_44_21_PM.png

This is MountainLion 10.8.2

Is it possible that I have EDID problem which is causing the messed up screen?

I've installed those kexts and i don't have qe/ci or the proper resolution.

Everything looks the same as it looks without any of the AppleIntel kext installed.

Just to be sure that I followed you right, this is the situation without AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext installed at all and using patched framebuffer.

Here is the screenshot:

Screen_Shot_2013_03_29_at_1_44_21_PM.png

This is MountainLion 10.8.2

Is it possible that I have EDID problem which is causing the messed up screen?

Well by the look of things I'm guessing the framebuffer is loaded. I just want you to confirm some things. Go to System Information and check that the framebuffer is in the list. Then in System Preferences go to Display and see whether your Internal LCD is recognized. It should show a MacBook icon and not an Apple Display.

• Like 1

Its possible that its not loaded though. if I load NATIT only with 1366x768 tag i only get 720p resolution and no acceleration like that .

To check if you have an edid problem boot from linux (32bit) and run the following commands

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install read-edid

sudo get-edid | parse-edid

post output