OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Am I right in thinking that this board uses an AMI UEFI BIOS like gigabyte boards do?  

That's right! you can find this out using dmesg | grep "EFI v". Make sure you're booting in UEFI though (enter this command to find out: [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS).

Btw UEFI BIOS is like saying OS X WINDOWS... the two are completely different. Here's a an interesting read that filters out all the misinformation about UEFI / BIOS if you want to know more about it:

https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/

I don't know what results you get under os x, but for some reason with the above command, os x always returns on this board BIOS (all legacy booting - net, disks, etc... - is disabled on my setup)

With efibootmgr (linux), I can't get a boot order list (None set), though there if definitely one defined since OS X is my default boot disk. Haven't tried creating one though. 

Could it be that the UEFI implementation of this firmware according to EFI spec is "sloppy" (no disrespect to the devs - glad to have something that works)? or I'm missing something about the limitations of efibootmgr

Note that according to spec, though not imperative, you can/should have an /EFI partition per OS since the boot loader loads the kernel into the /EFI partition (this is why the /EFI partition is 200MB +, unlike BIOS where the MBR is too small and the rest is loaded in a tweaked kinda way into an unknown amount of free space left on disk), and the firmware should be hardware agnostic to this respect (location of EFI partition should not matter e.g. SATA 0,0 for EFI partition).

It would be nice to have a solid UEFI firmware though... BIOS is so 80s ;-)

OS X does not use '/sys/firmware/efi' (it is something else, I think '/platform/efi', not sure though and can't check), hence it returns 'BIOS'. OS X automatically assumes EFI, it doesn't support anything else.

And no, the UEFI specification does not suggest one ESP per OS - it suggests separate sub-directorys for different applications including OS Loaders. ;)

Agreed on that we need a solid UEFI firmware - AMI will certainly not be helpful with that. :)

So good news came from bad news. The other day I bricked my Mavericks install (stupid thing on my part, pushing too far) so I had to spend some time getting the os reinstalled. For some reason, the motherboard wasn't recognizing my USB drives for me to do a reinstall on top of my current installation. Ive been on BIOS 894 and haven't been able to update due to 1479 bricking my Installation of OS for some reason. I said "what the heck ill try 1479 again" to see if that would fix my USB drive not being recognized as a a boot installation drive. Still didn't work.. I later realized that my USB drive was bad so I ended up reinstalling the os with a new USB thumb drive and to my surprise, everything booted up perfectly with 1479 installed. So now I got curious with El Capitan. Before I was getting errors on the installation screen when trying to install from usb drive (crossed out O) but this time, I got into the installation and finished the installation perfectly. Mind you this is on another partition so I have a fully working mavericks setup ready to go if I run into any errors on boot up of El Capitan. Tried booting up and nothing. Status bar would get half way and then slow down to a halt. I then booted back into Mavericks and did some research on Clover. 

*You will need to find these files on your own as the rules state that I cannot post certain links*

Find these files.

Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg

Clover_v2.3k_r3270_Legacy.pkg

And 

CustoMac Essentials.kg package that will install these .kext files.

FakeSMC.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext

Install clover version (UEFI IF YOUR USING QUO) then the CustoMac Essentials package.

Download Clover Configurator and install your system definitions in your new EFI Volume.

I then booted from the El Capitan volume and wallah! All this is being typed on the QUO motherboard with 1479 and El Capitan GM release. Now It may be that I'm using Clover, This is a workaround until we get an updated Ozmosis BIOS that will boot El Capitan. 

Edited by dwdrummer0
link to tonymac removed

So good news came from bad news. The other day I bricked my Mavericks install (stupid thing on my part, pushing too far) so I had to spend some time getting the os reinstalled. For some reason, the motherboard wasn't recognizing my USB drives for me to do a reinstall on top of my current installation. Ive been on BIOS 894 and haven't been able to update due to 1479 bricking my Installation of OS for some reason. I said "what the heck ill try 1479 again" to see if that would fix my USB drive not being recognized as a a boot installation drive. Still didn't work.. I later realized that my USB drive was bad so I ended up reinstalling the os with a new USB thumb drive and to my surprise, everything booted up perfectly with 1479 installed. So now I got curious with El Capitan. Before I was getting errors on the installation screen when trying to install from usb drive (crossed out O) but this time, I got into the installation and finished the installation perfectly. Mind you this is on another partition so I have a fully working mavericks setup ready to go if I run into any errors on boot up of El Capitan. Tried booting up and nothing. Status bar would get half way and then slow down to a halt. I then booted back into Mavericks and did some research on Clover. 

*You will need to find these files on your own as the rules state that I cannot post certain links*

Find these files.

Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg

Clover_v2.3k_r3270_Legacy.pkg

And 

CustoMac Essentials.kg package that will install these .kext files.

FakeSMC.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

RealtekRTL8111.kext

Install clover version (UEFI IF YOUR USING QUO) then the CustoMac Essentials package.

Download Clover Configurator and install your system definitions in your new EFI Volume.

I then booted from the El Capitan volume and wallah! All this is being typed on the QUO motherboard with 1479 and El Capitan GM release. Now It may be that I'm using Clover, This is a workaround until we get an updated Ozmosis BIOS that will boot El Capitan. 

No need to install clover, Ozmosis works with El Capitan with the exception of kext injection, the easy way is to prepare the usb installer with Chris1111 ap, install El Capitan,and boot with the usb installer to El Capitan, copy FakeSMC to L/E,  repair permissions and after that you could boot vanilla with Ozmosis, something to have in mind, the audio won't work, so you need to install VodooHDA or patch AppleHDA, the later a bit problematic and that is, no need any extra kext. :thumbsup_anim:  

No need to install clover, Ozmosis works with El Capitan with the exception of kext injection, the easy way is to prepare the usb installer with Chris1111 ap, install El Capitan,and boot with the usb installer to El Capitan, copy FakeSMC to L/E,  repair permissions and after that you could boot vanilla with Ozmosis, something to have in mind, the audio won't work, so you need to install VodooHDA or patch AppleHDA, the later a bit problematic and that is, no need any extra kext. :thumbsup_anim:  

Makes sense now why i'm able to boot even though i'm not using clover as the bootloader. Im assuming now that the essential package was the one that got me going because that one has the modified FakeSMC file. Good to know! 

One question I do have. Does anyone have issues with wake sleep in El Capitan? Basically, The machine will go into sleep mode then wake up immediately showing that my usb backup drive has disconnected. Also issues with USB bluetooth mouse and keyboard disconnecting. Im suspecting something to do with USB??? Is USB 3 supported OTB with El Capitan?

I googled oz bios. I found that:

For El Capitan you must disable CSR. Use this command:

sudo nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%67%00%00%00
FakeSMC.kext copy to E/E and other kext put in S/L/E.

When will new version OZ bios be released?

Is anyone able to use an EVGA Geforce 970? I'm getting the "black screen" problem. I see the BIOS menu, then it just beeps every 10 seconds.

Everyone says to update your BIOS if that happens, and of course, I'm on the latest non-os x firmware BIOS.

Yea i'm running the latest stock BIOS and when I put both GeForce 970s in my machine won't boot.  It just turns on, and nothing.  No beeps, nothing.  I thought it was due to "only" having a 750W power supply, so I bought a 1000W power supply, and am having the same problem :/

I've run dual graphics cards before (not SLI, a 560 and a 670) but I can't run 2 970s and I have no idea why.

Any ideas on what I could try?

Yea i'm running the latest stock BIOS and when I put both GeForce 970s in my machine won't boot.  It just turns on, and nothing.  No beeps, nothing.  I thought it was due to "only" having a 750W power supply, so I bought a 1000W power supply, and am having the same problem :/

I've run dual graphics cards before (not SLI, a 560 and a 670) but I can't run 2 970s and I have no idea why.

Any ideas on what I could try?

He means the F2N ROM that came installed on the board when new. That was stock. All the subsequent ones have been ozmosis.