OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

tried getting into single user mode but it kept KP'ing before it got there. Then I fell asleep in my chair trying to get it booted up again (more KP'ing). One thing I've learned is Apple has some funny verbose messages. Gonna have to go get a nap and hit it later. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried that several times too, but just did again. I always get this error.

Boot in singl user mode and add this:

sbin/fsck -fy
sbin/mount -uw /
nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%67%00%00%00
exit

I have two computers with this motherboard and so far they both have been working just so supergood with every OS X version up to Yosemite. I have had no installaton problems what so ever and it has even worked to use clones of old hacks installs once I "cleaned them out" and made them back to the original version of os x.

But now I cannot get it to work what ever I do, I even upgraded my old Mac Pro 3.1 to latest yosemite version and borrowed the hard drive over to one of the aos mobos but no success. I pulled out the videocard so its just a clean mobo but it did not work I put it back in its the same. I tried any combinations of bios settings I could think of regarding the videocard and "onboard" video but its the same, It will not boot.

(Im not on it right now since it wont boot so I cannot tell for sure what bios Im on but its the hermitcrab labs second version I believe. I will check that and get back here with that info and any other info I can if someone can give some tips.)

From an installation disc/usb thumbdrive etc or a good working harddrive/installation already tested on another computer it does not matter it wont boot. 

Sometimes I get nothing at all just a dark screen but sometimes I get a black screen with the apple logo and the progressbar but it never finnishes it reboots round 50 %. This happens every time with the mac pro hard drive.

Could it be that there is something new in the latest version of yosemite that causes this or is it just a bios upgrade I need to do. I mean Ive read through this thread and googled so I know that people have these mobos up running with yosemite, not sure what version of the os they where on though.

I realize this is all over the place and not very focused but I am a little confused right now why I cant get it to work so I apologize. 

Any input are welcome.

Edit: the videocard works both in the mac pro on every os x version Ive thrown at it and it also works with this mobo up to early versions of maveriks but have been running for over a year on Mountainlion.

Thanks

I would also reset the CMOS either by jumping the pins or remove the battery for 5 seconds and resocket every memory stick ...I had fits with my board lately but in the end it was a memory stick that had became loosely socketed.

Thanks for the tips guys I will try them out and see if I can get it to work.

The case is I really like Mountainlion cause it has worked supergood with these mobos and the only reason I want to upgrade to yosemite is to try out the new Black Magic Design Davinci Resolve 12 so I kind of hesitated to do the bios update.

I do not use fusion drives or raid so I guess Im good to go with the 1479 bios version. I will do the reset too pull out the battery and all.

Thanks

Was out of town but now I'm back to this. I can't seem to get into single user mode. It keeps KP'ing before it loads. It's pretty quick but I think I see something about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement before it reboots. Although the first time is said Mac OS not yet set.

Was out of town but now I'm back to this. I can't seem to get into single user mode. It keeps KP'ing before it loads. It's pretty quick but I think I see something about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement before it reboots. Although the first time is said Mac OS not yet set.

Are you providing a custom DSDT or SSDT ?

Nope. Never needed them. I've never been unable to boot until DP4. Until now, my biggest issue was crashes during boot, but it would eventually get through. That was graphics related though, and was remedied by using nvidia web drivers. I only get the power management crash when trying to get into single user mode.

SUCCESS! I finally got FakeSMC to load and, after getting to DP3 and doing a TM backup, FINALLY got DP4 to boot. It was a hold your breath moment right after the update as I got about 5 Mac OS not set reboots but it eventually got to the login screen. DP5 and DP6 updated without a hiccup. Turns out all I had to do was the easiest thing possible: touch the damn extensions folder. It took about 3 tries and reboots to take but it finally loaded. I also made sure rootless=0 and kext-dev-mode=1 were in NVRAM, since they don't seem to be loading from my defaults.plist in the Oz folder (nor is my SMBIOS, but it does if I boot from my Yosemite install on a USB3 stick). Anyhow, thanks for pointing to FakeSMC being the culprit. One question: right now I've got it in /S/L/E. Is there any reason I should have it in /L/E instead?

Well that was short-lived. Yesterday everything was working. Even USB, which hadn't worked right since DP1. Now today I come down to my computer to find it stuck at the fully-loaded boot screen again. I booted into recovery and touched the extensions folder again and got back into my desktop, but now USB and sound are both out, and FakeSMC doesn't seem to load after a reboot. I see there's a SIP utility out there now. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Couple of feature requests/questions:

- can we get  feature to turn computer on via USB keyboard or key combination?

- can we get WOL feature? If this is implemented, where to set it to listen?

To the first one you need an apple compatible bluetooth, to the second one in System Preferences>Energy Saver, check the Wake for Ethernet network access.

On other matters, installed the El Capitan DP Public 5, all working perfect, Apple disabled the restrictions on SIP and all kexts are loading from uefi bios, including VodooHDA, so no need to reinstall audio, the only problem for the future is the caution seen in the bottom of the screenshot.

post-35379-0-12091500-1440074355_thumb.png

Something rare has happened, I made a usb bootable with PB5 in case to have to reinstall to avoid to go updating one by one, but when I try to boot from it it goes to the final stage and get stuck there with the beach ball spinning, I left it there for the whole night and nothing, still the same, so I reboot to the OS and he keep rebooting in a loop, then I try to boot in the recovery and the same problem as the usb installer, in the end I have to boot as single user to repair the os. What baffles me is that it boot perfect with a usb Yosemite installer and a El Capitan dev1 installer. If somebody have a clue about this, please, share. :rofl:

Solved the problem with Chris1111 tool v3, I think we are going to need an actualized bios for this board to accommodate the changes made by El Capitan, hopefully The King and the devs will work on this. :rolleyes:

But now you do not have Ozmosis!!!

I use the tool only to make the installer, after booting the installer you follow as normal, so, yes I have Ozmosis; what I mean is that what we need is to actualize the booter to adapt to the changes in El Capitan, I think we need to inject the command to disable SIP and a compatible Chameleon. :drool:

You need a compatible Chameleon when using Ozmosis? Erm, you are aware of the fact that when you use Chameleon, Ozmosis doesn't really do anything? Also, I'm a little irritated by people constantly insisting that boot solutions need to be adapted to every new OS X release or specifically for SIP. The only boot solutions that need an update are boot loaders (no, Clover and Ozmosis are not boot loaders), such as Chameleon or macosxbootloader. SIP is an OS X feature that is controlled entirely by boot.efi and OS X. OS X sets the data (more specifically csrutil), boot.efi reads the data - no need for Ozmosis or any other boot solution not launching the kernel directly to be updated.

Yes, Clover had an update to set those variables, but that is primarily for legacy boards using EmuVariable, so you don't need to re-set the variables every time NVRAM.plist gets deleted for some reason - and no, it is not essential, you could set it manually in nvram.plist as well. Ozmosis' concept of the Defaults.plist is pretty much equivalent to Clover's concept of RtVariables, except that Clover needs to be adapted to accept new keys.

• Like 2