OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

It might be worth seeing if the same behaviour happens with another keyboard as I've had some issues on that front in the past.

In other news, I've confirmed the lack of scheduled shutdown was a Yosemite issue. It works fine on a Mavericks Macbook I checked as well as this board on my old Mavericks image.

Yes I am still on Mavericks. The only thing that might make me make the move to Yosemite is MIDI over Bluetooth LE. I find Yosemite UI ugly and a step backward from Mavericks..

Me to. But now that I'm used to it I prefer it now.

It might be worth seeing if the same behaviour happens with another keyboard as I've had some issues on that front in the past.

In other news, I've confirmed the lack of scheduled shutdown was a Yosemite issue. It works fine on a Mavericks Macbook I checked as well as this board on my old Mavericks image.

The only reason I had the Dell keyboard was because of my bluetooth problems on wake.  More experiments forthcoming as I should receive this today...

Your BIOS is OLD, flash latest BIOS and test all cards, should work on all, if not provide dumps from not working card.

Thanks for your advice but I'm a bit lost with the BIOS from HermitCrab.

What are the differences between H3A H3B and H3C ?

What is the latest version ?

Which one should I use ?

.. Because of my case design (FT-03) I had the bluetooth USB adapter plugged on top of the case into a USB 3 port (same when using wired keyboard) .. so I move it to a true USB 2 port ...put computer to sleep ..hit spacebar on bluetooth keyboard ... system wakes up and bluetooth devices reconnected correctly. Ask comp to shutdown, it does without any issue. Start up again, put it to sleep, take iPad and send WOL packet , it wakes up, bluetooth devices reconnect , everything is fine, shutdown fine.

Think I just found out why .. while looking for why Apple did not put a USB 3 port on their Airport devices , I chanced on a white paper from Intel that says 

The noise generated due to the USB 3.0 data spectrum can have an impact on radio receivers whose antenna is placed close to a USB 3.0 device and/or USB 3.0 connector. The noise is a broadband noise that cannot be filtered out, since it falls within the band of operation of the wireless device (2.4–2.5 GHz). The noise degrades the signal-to-noise ratio that the wireless receiver sees and limits its sensitivity. This then reduces the operating wireless range of the device.

• Like 3

Is there any good solution for the problem of the boot drive selection not sticking in BIOS?

Currently when I try to change the default boot drive it always falls back to the one I don't want to use...

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableBootEntriesFilter=%01

Or use StartupDisk preference pane in OSX...

• Like 1

Or use StartupDisk preference pane in OSX...

Thank you for the quick reply - in OSX I get only the drive for the OSX system and I cannot select Windows there. Going to try the command line thing - btw, can I issue that command from a Terminal window in OSX or do I need to boot to the EFI shell?

Nope, pretty sure Windows was installed in UEFI mode - actually, 100% sure. I took extra care about that. Confirmation comes via the BIOS: With "UEFI only" for boot options, I get Windows Bootloader in the BIOS.

I issued the command but I could not reboot until now. Going to reboot and then I comeback and report.

K, that did the trick - it is now sticking. No idea why it did not before. BUT... when I press F12, the order is still the old one and not same as in the BIOS, but this is now not worrying for me.

Does anybody know how you get the EFI partition to show in the finder with the boot plist? I'm thinking to change my smbios, but it's a hell to do via the terminal.

Still need Terminal but once done you can use Disk Utility to mount it.

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Enable-Disk-Utilitys-Debug-Menu.htm

Alternatively one extra command in Terminal when mounted in Terminal it shows up in Finder automatically.

mkdir /tmp/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /tmp/efi

If not the first disk in the system then you change the disk0s1 to the correct number diskutil list will give you the output needed.

Is there a way to find out with boot plist the system is using? And there is a EFI-partition with Microsoft Windows data on it. Is it fair to assume that that EFI portion is used by the bios, as the computer always boots in Windows first? If I want to assess Mac OS X I need to manually select the OS X SSD in the bios. 

Is there a way to find out with boot plist the system is using? And there is a EFI-partition with Microsoft Windows data on it. Is it fair to assume that that EFI portion is used by the bios, as the computer always boots in Windows first? If I want to assess Mac OS X I need to manually select the OS X SSD in the bios. 

The Ozmosis loader uses the first FAT formatted partition in the system it finds for its files and loading them this is as seen by it as to the order of the drives in the system according to the BIOS. To boot OSX in this situation by default either choose the EDK shell using the F12 menu the last one in the list (only real one there) then bcfg mv 3 0 to move the third option to the first in the boot listing I think is the command or in OSX System Preferences -> Startup Disk choosing the OSX install there and rebooting will make it default. Oh and the DPCI Manager gives you a log viewer in its Misc option I believe it is this will show you what was used/disk it was loaded from. Another idea bcfg boot dump I think is the command to get listing of the boot order according to it if my memory serves me well, which a quick Google on it shows me it does.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 situations, pre 1479 and after.

Before using AppleHda SPDIF was working but with no encoded digital

With latest BIOS you do not have to do anything for audio, everything works OOTB, but you have to care a bit and read this topic to find that...

King I have problems with 1479 and HDMI audio over internal graphics card. It works with 849 bios by default, but it doesn't with 1479.I tried disable/enable Voodoo in nvram, but it still doesn't work. If I reflash back to 849 HDMI works. Any input?

King I have problems with 1479 and HDMI audio over internal graphics card. It works with 849 bios by default, but it doesn't with 1479.I tried disable/enable Voodoo in nvram, but it still doesn't work. If I reflash back to 849 HDMI works. Any input?

For IGPU HDMI/DP audio internal VoodooHda must be disabled by NVRAM command as explained earlier.

After this AppleHDA must be patched as with 894 BIOS ONLY if is original, using package or manual commands.

If you do exactly like this, you will have everything working.

If works with 894, then you didn't disabled proper VoodooHda, and I can't know for sure w/o any kind of dump.

Hi all,

I updated my QUO motherboard to the latest BIOS.

But still no luck. I can't use two monitors on the same card nor two graphic cards.

Is there a manual somewhere on these bios and how they work ?

I'm not talking about the changelog.

Since I upgraded, it's even worth, the BIOS won't save any setting I change...

I don't mind reading a lot of documentation but please could someone point me to this documentation ? 

I'm lost.

Thanks

@bunbury. I would burn in the BIOS again if you can't save changes. Until you have that working as designed, you can't rely on anything else. This may be no help at all, but with BIOS 1479 and all the defaults, I run 2 screens using the 2 DVI connectors on a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X.

@bunbury. I would burn in the BIOS again if you can't save changes. Until you have that working as designed, you can't rely on anything else. This may be no help at all, but with BIOS 1479 and all the defaults, I run 2 screens using the 2 DVI connectors on a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X.

Ok I finally burnt it correctly (I don't know what went wrong but now it's working.

How do you run 2 screens ? Did you do something in particular ?

When I boot I have the Bios on both screens, the Apple logo on both screens but then one disappears before the login screen.

Any idea ?

You can start reading this topic and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/484-ozmosis/, there is no other documentation.

Thanks. But this is for uploading kext in the bios part and have them used by the ozmosis boot loader (in H3B)

So ok it's useful but that does not really help me.

Thanks. But this is for uploading kext in the bios part and have them used by the ozmosis boot loader (in H3B)

So ok it's useful but that does not really help me.

That proves you only read the first post...

Who will bother to read will have something to learn.