• Please log in to reply
1328 replies to this topic

hadcla

hadcla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have finally suceeded in  Windows 7 UEFI installation with the F3A bios, but when i flash the bios to H3A 816, i can't boot up on windows 7 (but mac os X is working perfectly). Any idea ?

red_team316

red_team316

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

KiNG,

It's not just my Windows drive thats hosed. OSX is now hosed too...

I have never had a single problem swapping drives in my old desktop. There has to be a better answer than just startover. OSX took an entire day to install, Windows took a few hours, Linux less than an hour (Ordered in decending headache).

It sounds like hadcia may be running into the same issue.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Was about Windows...

Anyway ESP can't vanish by itself, if you cannot find your microsoft stuff in the EFI folder 99.9% you formated or deleted the parition from linux experiments.

Same goes for rest of OS's, they simple can't dissapear or break by itself.

The swapping was a joke...

hadcla

hadcla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

on a GPT HDD there is TWO ways of booting Windows Vista & above:

1. the Windows partition is WITHIN the hybrid MBR/ GPT scheme (along with the EFI sys partition) = the BOOTCAMP way, or when you create a FAT32 partition on a GPT HDD w/ OS X Disk Utility
2. the Windows partition is ONLY in the GPT scheme (e.g. when you install Vista and above from install media and freshly initialize the entire HDD)

2. is recommended, also so that from Windows you can see ANY of the other partitions (and can access them with appropriate drivers or programs).

check the state w/ gptsync, or iPartition trial.

I've honestly only vaguely read through these comments, but I do have a question. I have a patch DSDT.aml to get HDMI audio working through my GTX 660Ti. Because of this, I'm currently stuck using the non Oz firmware. Is there a guide or anything anywhere that I can use to get my change into the firmware itself so that I can be like the cool kids?

/Efi/Quo/Darwin/Extensions/Common folder is used for loading kexts from.

placing .AML files in /Efi/Quo/Acpi/Load will override / add them.

corrected:

on the EFI system partition:

the folder

/Quo/Darwin/Extensions/Common

is used for loading kexts from.

placing .AML files in
/Quo/Acpi/Load

will override / add them.

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?

run the Windows 7 64bit Repair Disk (32bit does not boot UEFI!) - it'll adapt the boot entry to the changed firmware env.

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Rereading previous posts, now I understand : I If I am not mistaken, ozmosis bios can't boot up on ntfs drive ?Oz

Ozmosis doesn't directly boot anything.

Its always the system that boots the os, all ozmosis does is add the ability for the firmware to also load boot.efi.

If you want to boot a windows ntfs volume, that would be covered by UEFI Legacy Boot which is handled by the normal firmware.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Totaly wrong...

After a bios flash NVRAM is cleared to default so all added boot entries goes deleted, that include microsoft windows 7(8) one!

Now why this cannot be handled by a bootloader(for now) is that windows "insist" to create own entry each time is started if it dosent found its own entry.

So, After a BIOS flash you have 2 options, the hard way from Shell as I explained earlier, or you can simply tap F12 and select from list UEFI: and HDD name you know you have windows on it.

Windows should start and after reboot, Windows Boot Manager entry should be back on list.

I hope this clear the mistery...

You are undocummented, I suggest you start from here: http://www.insanelym...291655-ozmosis/

I've honestly only vaguely read through these comments, but I do have a question. I have a patch DSDT.aml to get HDMI audio working through my GTX 660Ti. Because of this, I'm currently stuck using the non Oz firmware. Is there a guide or anything anywhere that I can use to get my change into the firmware itself so that I can be like the cool kids?

You need to make just a SSDT.aml with specific patch and put on Load folder on your ESP

red_team316

red_team316

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

KiNG and BugsB,

I just reinstalled Mountain Lion to another drive(I'm running out of drives lol). Only took about an hour so installing the rest of the software will probably take another(After reinstalling an OS plenty of times, you get quicker. Having a ML disc now helped considerably). Mounting partitions isn't really experimenting, but it's possible that may have had something to do with it. If it happens again, I should have a better idea of how it happens. I'm glad the swapping thing was a joke, because from what I could tell, it was the culprit :D I do install windows fresh every time, I know well enough not to mix it with other OS on the same drive or try to have it upgrade itself. And I never let windows access my other OS files BugsB :D

I'll play around with the EFI shell some more now. I would like to be able to eventually figure out how to chainload it or boot directly to the .efi straight from GRUB or GRUB2. Thanks again for the info.

hadcla

hadcla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thank you guys ! Things are a little bit clearer for me now. I'll run the Windows 7 Repair Disk, because my W7 drive is not listed as UEFI when i press F12, just "P0 : SAMSUNG 830" unlike my mac os drive.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Thank you guys ! Things are a little bit clearer for me now. I'll run the Windows 7 Repair Disk, because my W7 drive is not listed as UEFI when i press F12, just "P0 : SAMSUNG 830" unlike my mac os drive.

Seems you disabled UEFI Boot, check this on BIOS:

BIOS Features/Boot Mode Selection to be UEFI and Legacy

modbin

modbin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 114 posts

hadcla why don't you try THe KiNG's advice first?

Start Built-in EDK Shell.

Identify your Windows HDD ESP(EFI System Partition), if is first HDD it should be FS0:

cd to efi\microsoft\boot\

if the folders does not exist you are on wrong hdd/partition...

type bootmgfw.efi then ENTER.

Windows will start and Windows Boot Manager entry should be recreated if was deleted by various reasons...

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

@BugsB

not sure what else is needed in your requests list since this isnt a chameleon replacement.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

@BugsB

not sure what else is needed in your requests list since this isnt a chameleon replacement.

@ bs0d: AWESOME - thank you! What do you mean with '/ add them'?

You are undocummented, I suggest you start from here: http://www.insanelym...291655-ozmosis/

YEAH - I'm stoked!

We need a accumulated & consolidated Quo Z77MX-QUO-AOS Q&A in ONE place ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So here's my anticipated partition scheme (1 HDD):

GPT (only default EFI sys part. on synced GPT/MBR hybrid [0])

1. Mountain Lion 10.8.x & Data | HFS+ rest GB
2. Boot | FAT 1GB (for potential future Grub2, SysLinux etc. Linux Ext2/ Ext3 FS rather unlikely)
3. Windows 8.1 | NTFS 100 GB
4. Mavericks 10.9.x | HFS+ 45GB

Installation & configuration battle-plan:

1. flash Oz BIOS 816M (or whichever is latest when I'm ready)
2. boot Vanilla 10.8.5 from existing USB HDD; verify functionality
3. CCC 10.8.5 and 10.9 over to internal HDD
4. activate internal 10.8.5 HDD (how best? I'm used to Cham. Wizzard which should not be used here ..)
5. boot 10.8.5 from internal HDD, verify
6. apply Audio patch, reboot, verify
7. install Windows 8.1 64bit (should place Windows boot.efi in EFI sys partition, right?)
8. verify Windows install
9. install Paragon HFS (no MacDrive yet for Win8.1), reboot, verify
10. boot into 10.8.5 from USB HDD, re-activate the 10.8.5 install
11. verify via OZ Bootmanager that
a) 10.8.5 is default and boots, and
b) Windows 8.1 can be selected and boots, too
(12. test-boot 10.9; verify)

red_team316

red_team316

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

@BugsB,

I reconfigured my drives in my case and labeled them all so that they would be easy to identify:

P0: Linux/Grub MBR

P1: OSX 10.8.5 GPT

P2: Win7 GPT

If you are installing all of those on a single drive, that might work okay, but if you have separate drives, and Windows 8 is anything like Windows 7, you will have a problem. I left my Linux and OSX drives connected while I tried to install Windows 7 this time around and here is what happens: Windows 7 will create the Recovery and Primary NTFS Partition on the correct drive(P2 in my case), but it will not create the EFI Partition. It just dumps all the EFI stuff onto the OSX drive, arg. This leaves you with the Windows Boot Manager on the OSX drive(which still has 3 Partitions), but the Windows drive(only 2 Partitions) and Windows will not even finish the installation after the first reboot. You will be greeted by a 0xC0000225 error, presumably because it stuck the Bootloader on the wrong drive. I would suggest anyone with a setup like this to install Windows first and have it lower in the P-list than any other GPT drive present. It's possible that OSX might try to do the same thing though if a Windows GPT drive is present, but I haven't tried that. So Multibooters beware :)

cam29

cam29

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok let me get this straight... I have an I5 3550 processor with HD 2500 graphics. Will this CPU work if I have a graphics card or not? I'm sorry I couldn't find a straight answer. I want to build a hackintosh and right now it's a toss up between this board and a gigabyte board.

On a side note: I got an email from QUO saying that it would work with a graphics card, but after reading this thread I'm not sure if that's true. I've seen many having problems being able to boot with a graphics card. I didn't mean to interrupt the conversation above, but I wanted to clear this up. Thanks.

pascalbi

pascalbi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I have a big problem trying to install an EVGA Geforce GTX 770 graphic card in the computer I built using the QUO motherboard.

It worked at first when I did use the F2N BIOS with the Chameleon boot loader. Mac OS 10.8.5 System Report didn't recognise the card but was showing the right chipset (GK104).

Then I updated the motherboard BIOS, first to F3A with boot loader then to H3A 816M without boot loader (did a 10.8.5 clean install each time and always removed the card while flashing the BIOS and installing the system).

In These two configurations, my computer freeze on the QUO welcome screen at startup and I'm unable to even enter the BIOS.

I did some internet search and could see it was something that happened to a few people using the Geforce GTX 770 or 780 on some motherboards and that EVGA could help some of them with a new release of the graphic card BIOS. I contacted them and could get that BIOS and have my card flashed by a friend. Unfortunately that didn't change anything for me: I still have that freeze at startup when the card is installed.

I'm wondering if someone here got that same problem and could solve it or if a new release of the H3A BIOS is planned with that issue on mind (strange that the old BIOS from QUO was fine with the card and not the next one nor the H3A).

Any help welcome, cheers to all

hadcla

hadcla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Pascal,

I had the same problem and it seems that you did't set init display on iGPU and Integrated graphics on enabled before you installed your gtx 770.

An update about my case :

-starting with the F3A bios

-reinstall Windows 7 (UEFI 64 bits) (mac os drive unplugged)

-flash to H3A 816

-replug mac os drive

=> can boot on both drive

- init display : iGPU + Integrated graphics : enabled

-install my gtx 760

=> can boot on mac os BUT not on windows 7 (freezing at "starting windows")

electroshock

electroshock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

To answer some earlier inquires regarding the H3a - 816m, I was able to successfully flash the BIOS. After flashing completed the computer rebooted but hung up before the Quo Comp screen displayed. I manually rebooted and it immediately loaded OS X. So this may be what is mean't by the boot twice Oz instruction. The King provided audio patch worked great. Sleep works fine, USB 3 wakes properly and firewire is detected.

My only concern is that the SMBios shows the system as "MAC Pro (early 2008)" . From reading the earlier posts this I believe is due to the I5 3570K chip in my system? Also Thunderbolt shows "no hardware shown" but from earlier posts I believe this is an anomaly due to the MAC Pro definition and it will actually work fine? (in an earlier install through a boot loader and the F3A BIOS Thunderbolt was detected) .And finally If I change the system definition to a "MAC mini 6.2" as described in earlier posts will this have any affect on the system performance and can I use this definition for a I5-3570K  Ivy Bridge chip? Thanks for shedding any light on the above.

pascalbi

pascalbi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you very much hadcla, you were right and it's working!!

Though I don't understand why I have to enable iGPU and make it the main graphic processor even if I will not use it …

If I understand well, it's not the case for all graphic cards. Do you think that issue is the reason why you can't boot on Windows? (hope not because I intend to install a Windows disk in my computer just like you)

Maybe it's something that will change with a future BIOS update

Thanks again for your help

hadcla

hadcla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

To be honnest I don't understand anything : I set my WIndows 7 drive as first boot option, I press F8 while booting => i choose : repair you computer => "windows is loading files" endlessly...

In safe mode, it stops right after the driverclasspnp.sys and "please wiating" endlessly too...

But without my gfx, it's working perfectly

I went back to F3A bios :
-gtx 760 plugged
-init display : igfx
-internal graphics : enabled
=> can boot on windows 7 with the motherboard connection (dvi-d)

=> can not boot with my monitor connected to the gtx 760

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy