OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Okay. Guys...

Here comes the uber noob... yes I picked that username just to tell how new and noob I am to the hackintosh scene.
However here is my story/problem:

I want to upgrade my Mac OSX from 10.9.5 to at least 10.10 - however when I use the installer, it simply stalls at the Apple loading Logo and does not proceed.

This is after it's automatic reboot. It simply just stalls at a point, around 80/90 % into loading the installer.

I have installed Mac OSX just plain vanilla, no Kexts (other than the audio fix in the installer package provided by Quo Computers) - is that still possible?

So in short should I:
- Flash the BIOS with the latest ROM?
- Do a clean install? (aka go into the backup partition and wreck havok...)

If you guys have any suggestions or tips to what I should do or can get feedback on this it would be greatly appreciated, simply I just want to update my machine but have a hard time doing it :)
Luckily I do have backups (a time machine copy and a copy of the most important files on an external hard drive)

My specs should be in the signature (though I am not 110% sure of the names and model numbers of the Toshiba Harddrive or Samsung Barracuda drive)
Hope you can help a noob out...

Edited by Micky1979
tonymacx86 not allowed. Read the Rules!

If you are really using the F2N Vanilla BIOS then you must be booting with Clover or some other mechanism and not Ozmosis. You are using the board as a 'Hack a la Tony' and missing on the best part of owning a QUO.

First let's make sure of what you have ...

Go get DarwinDumper .. and produce the Firmware (Boot) Log Report  so we can take a look

also go in Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and provide output of this command 

diskutil list
  • Like 2

UberNoob is now using the X-Mass Oz release, has his GTX 680 flashed with GOP support and is downloading 10.11.5.  :)

Edit:

The AOS board needs NVRAM protection disabled because Oz is using a AptioFix1 style memory map fix (thank-you crusher. for telling me this).

You can disable NVRAM SIP in a few different ways:

EFI Shell:

setvar csr-active-config -GUID 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -nv ="50000000"
Oz Defaults Plist:

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
    <dict>
        <key>csr-active-config</key>
        <string>UAAAAA==</data>
    </dict>
NVRAM (older OS X):

sudo nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%P%00%00%00
CSRUtil (from Recovery):

csrutil enable --without nvram
  • Like 4

UberNoob is now using the X-Mass Oz release, has his GTX 680 flashed with GOP support and is downloading 10.11.5.  :)

Edit:

The AOS board needs NVRAM protection disabled because Oz is using a AptioFix1 style memory map fix (thank-you crusher. for telling me this).

You can disable NVRAM SIP in a few different ways:

EFI Shell:

setvar csr-active-config -GUID 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -nv ="50000000"
Oz Defaults Plist:

<dict>
        <string>UAAAAA==</data>
    </dict>
NVRAM (older OS X):

sudo nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%P%00%00%00
CSRUtil (from Recovery):

csrutil enable --without nvram

Thank you for helping out with guidance and contributions. Good Karma.

• Like 3

Oz Defaults Plist:

<dict>
        <string>UAAAAA==</data>
    </dict>

The correct way for Defaults.plist would be

<dict>
        <integer size=32>0x50</integer>
    </dict>

the size element is used to force a 32bit value to be set ie 4 bytes, otherwise the varibale size is auto calculated so would result in an 8 bit value ie 1 byte.

• Like 4

Me and @Quadie are still working on the machine (though I am more a frequency in the chat than here in the thread)

However the only issue remaining is the 680 not working with a DVI-D slot on the back of the card.
It is working fine on the Windows partition – we have even flashed the BIOS of the card – but are there any specific Ozmosis BIOS settings I would need to enable / disable to get it working on OSX?

My understanding is that you would not need to do anything since the 680 should work OOB since the drivers are already provided in OS X.

Is that a 'Mac Edition GTX 680' ?

Have you tried with Nvidia Web Drivers ?

Mmmm. when I get home I will check on which port mine is connected ...

Its just a plain EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - More specifically is the Reference card
The original BIOS is based off SC Signature 2 though.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/131227/evga-gtx680-2048-120716

But we replaced it with the one referenced as the Reference card BIOS (AFAIK)
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/127371/evga-gtx680-2048-120509

Yep they are installed!

Would love to hear your feedback @IronManJFF - let me know what DVI's are working with your machine

Hi crusher

Thanks for that link, however that is not the issue at hand, I do have two DVI ports on my GTX 680 however only one outputs video.
The other does not work.

However both output works (and cables) - because both outputs in Windows, so it is a case of the outputs not being used in my Mac OSX environment, I just need to nail down how I can make them both output 

HDMI Output works fine, but I want to utilise both my DVI outputs :) - I do not want to remove my Cintiq which is connected to the HDMI

EDIT:

Essentially me and Quadie fixed it by utilising a "hacky" version of a Mac GTX 680 firmware/BIOS that made it possible to use the two DVI outputs :)
However that made the HDMI not useable (potatoes potatis...)
So we are looking at work arounds for it :)

I am having the same problem with dual DVI output on my GTX 640 card. Dual monitor support worked fine on Mavericks and Yosemite with the 1479 BIOS.  Now on 10.11.4 and Xmass BIOS I only have support for one monitor.  The GTX 640 has dual monitor support in Win 7 so I know the card is working. Please let me know if there is a flash or other work around for this card.  Thanks.

HDMI Output works fine, but I want to utilise both my DVI outputs :) - I do not want to remove my Cintiq which is connected to the HDMI

EDIT:

Essentially me and Quadie fixed it by utilising a "hacky" version of a Mac GTX 680 firmware/BIOS that made it possible to use the two DVI outputs :)

However that made the HDMI not useable (potatoes potatis...)

So we are looking at work arounds for it :)

I upgraded to a GTX 680. Could you please post a link to the "hacky" bios. Would be much appreciated, Thanks

Thanks but I am already using the QUO Xmass bios.  I am looking for a new hacked version of the Nvidia GTX 680 mac bios UberNoob referred to above.  I have a copy of the Nvidia GTX 680 mac bios that was released a couple of years ago but I can't find any reference to new hacked version made for  OSX 10.11.5.

Excuse me if I am a little confused here, as I am a pretty high end Mac user, but have never really dealt with a PC.

So I am a freelance editor, and the primary place I work has a QUO built by the company itself (not just a motherboard). It is a 3.4 GHZ intel Core i7, with 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2047 Mac Edition, running the latest Official Firmware, so it is running 10.8.5 to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Unfortunately we need the latest version of Creative Cloud for an upcoming project, so we need to move the system to El Capitan.

Since we bought the whole system from QUO we were hoping to get him to upgrade the system himself, but the guy doesn't answer his phone at all, even though we have driven by and the building is still there.

I found this video to Upgrade the bios

to H2N.OZ1669M, and think I can pull that off, but then I don't get the next step to upgrade the System to El Capitan. I have used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup of my System drive, so I can theoretically just start fresh. Is that a better idea than trying to upgrade the system? Just go for a fresh install with the Clover Installation method from this site.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just have no experience installing a hackintosh, but really need to get this system up and running on El Capitan.