OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I am only using F-USB3 (Apple Braodcom BCM94360CD in PCI-Express Adapter+BT) as internal port so it is possible that ports from F-USB1 and F_USB2 are not working for me but I would not notice it.

Still i have been researching the issue and I think I know what is happening and yes it relates to the SysDef

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/?p=2147152

Would you be able to get a IOREG, i would be curious to compare it to the one i would get with my SysDef of iMac 13,2

XMP...your memory sticks has to support it for it to show

Bon Jour IronMan!

Well, I think they are, these are memories from the current Mac Pro

Before the updating the firmware to the one post by Crusher.  I  had the 4 modules working perfectly 

Now I only can install 2  one in DIMM 1 and another on DIMM3

Any other combination causes the board not to boot.

Memory info: 8GB PC3 -14900 DDR3 2Rx8 ECC

Thanks!

JJ  -> Try this ...

Follow command:

Examples:
// This will ignore memory SPD data and use instead original Type 17 SMBios tables
// From OS terminal:
  sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:SkipSmbusSpdScan=%01
// From HermitShell:
  setvar -guid 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101 SkipSmbusSpdScan =01
// Using Defaults.plist:
  <key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
  <dict>
    <key>SkipSmbusSpdScan</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>

If that does not work , try to set the board Memory Multiplier to 16.00 

JJ  -> Try this ...

Thanks!

I will try, but I think I have to go the BIOS setting.

Since as soon as I plug the Memory sticks, the board is not booting.

Will post resultus

Thanks!

I will try, but I think I have to go the BIOS setting.

Since as soon as I plug the Memory sticks, the board is not booting.

Will post resultus

Set memory to profile1 and reset NVRAM. If you have a problem again use and reflash bios.

JJ  -> Try this ...

Hi JFF, 

It' works!!! 

Memory is recognized as 1600 MHz

The DIMMs are 1867MHz

When working before were recognized as 1867Mhz

Do you think I will have a sensible lack of performance?

Thanks Again.

Set memory to profile1 and reset NVRAM. If you have a problem again use and reflash bios.

Hi Crusher,

I don't see any Profile setting on the Memory Pane.

Also, It's safe to do an NVRAM?

Since I updated the BIOS i'm not able to log to iMessages/iCloud, I have been told that a NVRAM reset can solve that.

But actually I'm afraid to do it, just in case I step back to when the board was not booting at all.

Thanks!

Do you have Defaults.plist in EFI/Oz?

Nope!

IronMan made me erase it,

with the defaults.plist the computer was not booting

I was able just to get the boot selector and the BIOS but nothing else

After the file was erased all went fine.

Nope!

IronMan made me erase it,

with the defaults.plist the computer was not booting

I was able just to get the boot selector and the BIOS but nothing else

After the file was erased all went fine.

How did you erase it please ? I think it can solve my problems too.

How did you erase it please ? I think it can solve my problems too.

What is your problem ? If you don't know how to erase it, it is very doubtful that 1) You actually have one 2) Will fix anything for you 

Happy to report that I was able to install (on its own partition)  macOS Public Beta last night. No Clover required.

Hey, care to share any details of anything special you had to do to make it work?  You don't mean straight Out-of-box, do you?

Pre-requisite : System definition that is supported for macOS Sierra PB (mine is iMac13,2)

SIP : disabled totally or partially to allow writing to nvram and non-signed kexts (csrutil enable --without nvram kext )

Nothing really unexpected. Injecting kexts into the kernel from BIOS is broken again, so you have to manually load FakeSMC.kext to be able to install.

I created my USB install stick with DiskMaker X. My stick is 32 GB so there is plenty of room. After installer creation I resized its partition and created a partition named Kext and placed FakeSMC.kext into it.

Then you boot the installer while holding Command-S to enter single-user mode.  You have to note from which device you booted.. in my case my stick is disk3, so the installer partition is disk3s2 and the Kext partiotion is disk3s3. You could also find that out by issuing the  gpt -r show -l diskn .. it will list partition names (not volume names).

Then I did

mount -t hfs disk3s3 /tmp
kextload /tmp/FakeSMC.kext
umount /dev/disk3s3
exit

Voilà installer launching...that is it if your GPU is supported OOTB. Everytime it reboots you have to intercept it  to load FakeSMC  up to the point where you can actually copy it into /Library/Extensions on the target partition

If you have a GPU that is no supported OOTB you also have to content with that because the installer will kp unless you send nv_disable=1 to the kernel. You could do that in your Defaults.plist file or ...well I did not wanted to mess with my working setup...so..

on myUSB installer stick /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, add -s nv_disable=1 to the Kernel Flags (that will auto single-user add disable hardware acceleration), the installer will move files and reboot . Intercept with F12 boot from RecoveryHD (that is why it is important to have a working RecoveryHD) load FakeSMC  and go and add the Kernel Flags on the target device for phase 2 install (the file is always named com.apple.Boot.plist), installation will complete. It will reboot again to get into Sierra but you need to intercept it again so you can once again go and put the kernel flags into  /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, on the Sierra disk, do that and reboot

Now you are really booting macOS Sierra, load FakeSMC one last time and exit ... once you are into the Finder, copy FakeSMC.kext to /Library/Extensions and install the Nvidia web drivers, after the web drivers install it will tell you that it needs to restart... wait  .. go clear the kernels flags before you do ..ok done, that is it.

I just updated to the latest Oz but still only on EC 10.11.1.  I'm not sure which version maybe 10.11.3 or 4 there was a big change in the USB.  Is there any affect on the QUO?  If I upgrade to 10.11.5 will I encounter any problems with USB etc or should I stay with the version I have now and wait for a newer Oz update for later versions of EC?

Thanks

I am thinking of selling my QUO motherboard along with an Intel i7-3770K CPU.  I also have a 1TB Seagate HD with El Capitan loaded on it.  If anyone is interested, please email me at c5lmburt@gmail.com.  I will take any reasonable offer of $450 on up plus shipping.  I will only ship in the US.  The HD is separate.  I live in Northern California in the 530 area code.

I just updated to the latest Oz but still only on EC 10.11.1. I'm not sure which version maybe 10.11.3 or 4 there was a big change in the USB. Is there any affect on the QUO? If I upgrade to 10.11.5 will I encounter any problems with USB etc or should I stay with the version I have now and wait for a newer Oz update for later versions of EC?

Thanks

It depends on which SysDef you are using and if you need USB 1 and 2 internal headers but yeah Apple made big changes to USB in El Capitan.
  • Like 1

It depends on which SysDef you are using and if you need USB 1 and 2 internal headers but yeah Apple made big changes to USB in El Capitan.

I beleive its iMac13,1 or 13,2 not 14x. I just saw on page 132 all is good and someone asked you for your plist config. I will check mine against yours. Are your USB headers working with your config? Are you using a USB injector such as one Rehabman released a while back?

All external ports are working, F_USB3 internal is working, not using any injector. When i have time, will try to see if an injector could be made to re-enable F_USB1 and F_USB2. I am not using them but ElvieJoe reports they are not working with iMac 13,2 on El Cap.

• Like 1

Question on nvram settings from the terminal not EFI hermit shell.   For some odd reason my sysdef keeps reverting back to Macpro3,1.  My Default.plist sysdef is iMac13,2.  I want to make sure I am doing this correctly in terminal.

sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1"  as one example.    To clear this parameter do I make the quotes null?  sudo nvram boot-args="" or is it sudo nvram -d boot-args

I see a couple other parameters in there not boot-args but such as bluetooth and fmm-computer-name   osxfr33k@MAc Pro and some characters follow.  Not sure if that is what is causing the problem but to get rid of that do I use the -d?  For example, sudo nvram -d fmm-computer-name.

I also tried to set csr in hermit shell and it didn't work unless I do not have the right command?  I searched this thread and found this link.  I was able to disable to SIP with csrutil from recovery.  WOuld like to know how to set this in terminal and hermit  shell?  I tried in shell and gave me a message unknown variable.   Is there a link to follow on how to set the nvram parameters from OSX terminal and efi shell?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=2238990

Thanks