OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

So max overclock for El Capitan is only 4.2Ghz?

I would not think so. But the provided speed steps in BIOS tops at 4.2GHz (I've been told). To go higher, one would need to modify the BIOS provided SSDT to add more steps into it (I am not even sure that this is required, I think that without it the CPU could go to your max Turbo but would throttle back to the highest step in SSDT)

Mavericks reads 4.6Ghz but El Capitan reads 4.2Ghz. 

Please explain how you are making the measurements, verify in both cases if X86PlatformPlugin.kext is loaded or not, Check temperature of your cores at idle, you want to make sure that your cooling solution is up to the task.

I've tried disabling speedstep, turbo mode, remodified the SSDT with my own custom one, nothing seems to work. 

What kind of behavior are you trying to accomplish ?

a ) Higher clocks all the time, don't care if the systems needs it or not

b ) Energy saving (using as little energy as possible for a given clock rate )

c ) Higher clocks on demand, scaling energy demand

d) something else, describe ..

imho, go back to basic. 

SSDT I gave you into /Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load and nothing else

BIOS -> Load optimized defaults

Change Turbo to 41,41,40,39

Don't change anything else

Rune Prime 95, your cpu core should  oscillate between 3.5 (base clock for i7-3770k)  up to 4.1Ghz and cool down/idle at 1.2Ghz (not sure if i7 behaves like i5 )

Does this work for you ?

No -> Lower Turbo by 1

Yes -> Raise Turbo by 1

The max overclock you get at 'standard voltage' will depend on the quality of the CPU

Another thing that just crossed my mind ... are you using built-in graphics ? How is your CPU cooled ?

All thermal protections are still in place, so if your cooling cannot keep up the cpu will not get to the higher steps (which might explain why you are not getting as high in El Cap than in Mavericks,  if using built-in graphics as every new os version brings more demand on graphics ) 

I would not think so. But the provided speed steps in BIOS tops at 4.2GHz (I've been told). To go higher, one would need to modify the BIOS provided SSDT to add more steps into it (I am not even sure that this is required, I think that without it the CPU could go to your max Turbo but would throttle back to the highest step in SSDT)

Please explain how you are making the measurements, verify in both cases if X86PlatformPlugin.kext is loaded or not, Check temperature of your cores at idle, you want to make sure that your cooling solution is up to the task.

What kind of behavior are you trying to accomplish ?

a ) Higher clocks all the time, don't care if the systems needs it or not

b ) Energy saving (using as little energy as possible for a given clock rate )

c ) Higher clocks on demand, scaling energy demand

d) something else, describe ..

imho, go back to basic. 

SSDT I gave you into /Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load and nothing else

BIOS -> Load optimized defaults

Change Turbo to 41,41,40,39

Don't change anything else

Rune Prime 95, your cpu core should  oscillate between 3.5 (base clock for i7-3770k)  up to 4.1Ghz and cool down/idle at 1.2Ghz (not sure if i7 behaves like i5 )

Does this work for you ?

No -> Lower Turbo by 1

Yes -> Raise Turbo by 1

The max overclock you get at 'standard voltage' will depend on the quality of the CPU

Another thing that just crossed my mind ... are you using built-in graphics ? How is your CPU cooled ?

All thermal protections are still in place, so if your cooling cannot keep up the cpu will not get to the higher steps (which might explain why you are not getting as high in El Cap than in Mavericks,  if using built-in graphics as every new os version brings more demand on graphics ) 

Hey Jeff! Thanks for the reply. Ill try some of this tonight and get back to you with your questions. 

Hey Alberto,

First and foremost thanks for the updated H3C. I updated with 0 problems directly through mountain lion after updating bios (yea, old school, i know). The only thing Im noticing is 10.11.12 is not correctly reading the ram in the "about this" section. I've been looking in the forums and can't find a fix for this. Is it purely cosmetic? hmm....

I did check via-bios and it is reading all 24gigs of ram, just not via-el capitan.

UPDATE: It is purely cosmetic. El Capitan incorrectly was displaying Ram and Cpu info. All was working in the back end! Just thought I'd let everyone know to save some time!

Hey eaym3tal,

I just did a new version of H3C melted with the Xmass Ozmosis part.  ...now no more cosmetic troubles. tell me if I should post it

I Know that H3C is old but something interesting with it: unlike the H2O no need to have the Igpu dvi port populated to boot the computer ( no yelling beeps ), only the GFE ports.

Is there someone to help me to make a H2O version with just the 1479's graphic bios part ? I would be most grateful for it ! thanks 

• Like 1

Hey eaym3tal,

I just did a new version of H3C melted with the Xmass Ozmosis part. ...now no more cosmetic troubles. tell me if I should post it

I Know that H3C is old but something interesting with it: unlike the H2O no need to have the Igpu dvi port populated to boot the computer ( no yelling beeps ), only the GFE ports.

Is there someone to help me to make a H2O version with just the 1479's graphic bios part ? I would be most grateful for it ! thanks

i never ever plugged anything in mobo display connector and that never prevented me from booting the computer
  • Like 1

i never ever plugged anything in mobo display connector and that never prevented me from booting the computer

You're right, sorry, I wanted to mean that: If I try to have mirroring activated with all this bios options together, Display UEFI only, Igpu first and Integrated enabled with nothing connected to IGPU then I have the yelling beeps. Is that this setup you're using ? And according to the king:

Yes is what firmware say, you have no displays connected on boot graphics card.

That mean you enabled IGPU and set it as init first but you have connected monitors to GTX 770.

DO NOT enable any graphics card IGPU or Discrete GFX if you plan to not connect any monitors to it!

So my concern:

I would like to have AirMirroring working, My 2 screens connected to my GFE and my GFE working both on windows and OS X. and nothing connected to IGPU DVI.

No matter how I tried with 1669 and 167X I was never able to get this full result. Only a partial one  :no: .

As far I tried the only bios who get me to the result I am expecting was the H3C. So I guess that this the way H3C is managing the Graphic cards who does the trick. That the reason why I am trying to export this behavior into a most recent bios version. Maybe it's impossible, but I don't want to give up.

Hi Qs,

Anyone managed to get their Maxwell (GTX 750 TI here) graphics card working properly with 10.11.3 and latest Nvidia web drivers for 10.11.3? This "impulse buy I can replace my two radeon 7750s its an Nvidia card and reports show it is working should be straight forward" is itching my synapses (gnnnnh)...

On the plus side, my system is up to date now (always look on the briiiiight sii..) ! Here's a condensed version of the steps I did...

-  Updated to latest BIOS H2C.167X-MASS seems to be working fine (thanks devs - 1479 just did not work for me, and glad to see I can use Oz UI with the keyboard now (it's the little things you know :) ..)) . Btw, could someone update the wiki (AND MAKE THE WIKI A STICKY ON PAGE 1 please)?

-  Using iGPU, updated Mavericks to El Capitan so I could install the Nvidia drivers if necessary, no problems there (albeit VoodooHDA doesn't recognise my home cinema amp via HDMI - disabled with NVRAM command as per Readme (hey some of us do read it :P  ))

- After getting stuck in a boot loop with the new card installed (system can't find drivers - ok fair enough), disabling ATi injection, Nvidia injection and other various permutations booted with iGPU (intel HD4000) installed latest Nvidia web drivers. That should do it right? Nope.

- Clean slate with Nvram reset -> boots ok with GTX 750 ti, however it's the OS X driver that is loaded, no graphics acceleration (sluggish retracing, colours washed out etc)

- nvram boot arg nvda_dvr=1 to load nvidia drivers at boot -> aha progress. It boots! but into a black screen (no kp, can reboot with keyboard shortcut)

- safe boot, clear boot args... reboot. google

- more google... reports on tonymacxx86 point this issue to a problem with AppleGraphicsdevicePolicy.kext and later Mac model numbers (Mac Pro 3,1/board ID F42C88C8 here, so not an issue). Dig into the plist anyway just to check (the policy calls none/config1/config2 depending on the board ID - we want none here)... all OK

- I've tried switching some of the GPU settings in the BIOS to no avail - same result. it's a UEFI GFX card, GPU settings are set to UEFI first

- My head hurts... guess it's time to ask for some help!

Oh yeah... before you ask, card works in win10 fine btw, so that's some(major)thing to rule out at least!

Any ideas/pointers/matrix style crash course in apple architecture guys?

Thanks

S.

- Clean slate with Nvram reset -> boots ok with GTX 750 ti, however it's the OS X driver that is loaded, no graphics acceleration (sluggish retracing, colours washed out etc)

Wrong, Apple drivers don't work with Maxwell GPUs .. you should be getting a KP if that was the case.

Are you using a Defaults.plist file in /Efi/Oz ? If so, post it

Post /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Post firmware log (bdmesg)

Make sure, the Nvidia drivers you are installing matches the kernel OS version.

If you are able to boot with no graphics acceleration, are you able to load the Nividia System Preferences Pane ?

Have you ever used Clover on this machine ?

Hey eaym3tal,

I just did a new version of H3C melted with the Xmass Ozmosis part.  ...now no more cosmetic troubles. tell me if I should post it

I Know that H3C is old but something interesting with it: unlike the H2O no need to have the Igpu dvi port populated to boot the computer ( no yelling beeps ), only the GFE ports.

Hey Alberto,

It would be much appreciated if you could or PM me a link to it :-D. Yeah that is super annoying, but I can't complain; comp does what is suppose to do!

Parallels 10 & 11 support Win 10 VM or thru the Bootcamp partition, it just does not support importing it yet.

To create a dual-boot system, you could 

1) Plug the Windows drive int your QUO

2) in BIOS enable UEFI & Legacy boot

3) at Boot press F12 and choose the Windows Boot Manager to boot into Windows

Now this may or may not work depending on what hardware was present in your Windows system

Are all your audio drivers El Cap certified ?

Why are you having these kexts ? 

Hey Ironman,

Can you direct me somewhere with detailed instructions or expand a bit on what you mentioned previously on how to install windows with the Uefi/legacy boot? I've been scouting for updated info but cant really find anything relevant on how to do this. It seems very simple, just want to make sure im following the proper steps to ensure no errors!

Thank you! 

Post 2403

when creating the USB stick you can pick MBR for UEFI or GPT for UEFI both works.

I used GPT for UEFI but THeKiNG used MBR for UEFI   (the key here is UEFI)

Boot with F12, select the stick and have fun

When formatting the target drive, make sure you select GPT

650x452xmbr-or-gpt-initialize-disk.png.p

I would disconnect all drives except the 'Windows to be drive', this prevents Windows to mess around your stuff that is already working and prevents you from selecting the wrong drive.

There is no reason to install in Legacy mode, Oz is a UEFI platform. The only reason to enable Legacy Boot would be if you would plug in a disk that was created on another older computer.

• Like 1

Post 2403

when creating the USB stick you can pick MBR for UEFI or GPT for UEFI both works.

I would disconnect all drives except the 'Windows to be drive', this prevents Windows to mess around your stuff that is already working and prevents you from selecting the wrong drive.

There is no reason to install in Legacy mode, Oz is a UEFI platform. The only reason to enable Legacy Boot would be if you would plug in a disk that was created on another older computer.

Much Appreciated Iron. I'm going to unplug my external video card in addition to the drives. I was looking to partition my main Hd which houses my OSX. I just need to install windows to run some software needed. I will let you know how it comes out this weekend. Any suggestions when partitioning? 

Appreciate all the information! You guys are awesome!

:-D

Hey Alberto,

It would be much appreciated if you could or PM me a link to it :-D. Yeah that is super annoying, but I can't complain; comp does what is suppose to do!

Hi eaym3tal,

Here it is: Z77MXQUOAOS.H3C.167X-MASS.ROM :), sadly, It seems that the shell menu doesn't work at all so you could be in difficulty if you want to perform a PR reset or if you want to use the shell. Also, if you want to, you'll have better graphics results if you flash your GFE with a UEFI (GOP) Vbios -> The way to check that it actually works  for me, each of my IGPU and IGFE show up, at the same time, the bios screen.

Wrong, Apple drivers don't work with Maxwell GPUs .. you should be getting a KP if that was the case.

Are you using a Defaults.plist file in /Efi/Oz ? If so, post it

Post /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Post firmware log (bdmesg)

Make sure, the Nvidia drivers you are installing matches the kernel OS version.

If you are able to boot with no graphics acceleration, are you able to load the Nividia System Preferences Pane ?

Have you ever used Clover on this machine ?

1.  OK I admit to that statement being gloriously presumptuous, but after boot the Nvidia Control Panel says the Apple Drivers are loaded, and without the Web driver package installed kp is a certainty (just try booting off the recovery disk where these aren't installed -> kp / auto reboot). So whatever is being loaded, the Nvidia installer has changed something that makes the card half recognisable...

2. Nope no Defaults.plist

3. com.apple.boot.plist is as virgin as could be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

4.  2 Full DarwinDumps to compare working and non working configurations:

The only thing I changed was the graphics card (HDMI out). Note I had to moreover the graphics card for the Integrated graphics to be recognised (always had to do that btw... even with previous version of the bios...I'm guessing that's a firmware thing....)

Sorry for the full dump (5.2MB each, zipped) - I figure the more info the better... everything is well laid out though. Boot log output (bdmesg) is easy to find..

Note: After having spent a bout in Windows, I now no longer have HDMI AUDIO via the Nvidia card anymore (VoodooHDA injection disabled)
I did notice from the bdmseg output when hooked up to the IGPU, this line is not present in Nvidia config output:
Found HDA Codec #3: Intel Panther Point HDMI [8086:2806] Rev 0x00 Stepping 0x00

So for some reason the HDMI HDA codec is found twice with the onboard graphics, but only once with discrete GPU. I suspect Codec #3 is what was driving the HDMI audio?

5. Nvidia control panel loads fine and drivers correspond running OS X 10.11.3 (15D21), Nvidia Web driver version is 346.03.05f01)

6. Nope re Clover, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze IMHO...

Small parenthesis here, on a less related note, what software do you guys use for file comparison? I've used ExamDiff Pro extensively at work for quick code/text/everything comparison and quick code modding, but can't find anything as good for OS X. Would make comparing dumps a hell of a lot easier!

Do you have a DVI cable , does monitor have a DVI input ? Do you have same issue plugged thru DVI ?

IGPU and Init display first BIOS settings to Auto ?

Firmware log looks ok but in Apple's boot log (GTX 750) ...

Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1552
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2212
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 206
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: NVDA,Display-B: Not usable
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: NTFS driver 3.13 [Flags: R/W].
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: NTFS volume name , version 3.1.
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk0s4, pid 169): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): Windows is hibernated.  Will not be able to remount read-write.  Run chkdsk.
Feb 16 20:28:39 HTPC kernel[0] <Notice>: 0x1face000, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::setLinkStatus - not active

Notice NVDA, Display-B : not usable... I dont know why but I figure that is the problem

Hey eaym3tal,

Thank you it worked! :-D

Post 2403

All set Iron! Thank you....I do have a quick question. It all works flawless. I do have 1 more question. In bios I set the primary disk to being OSX and the secondary Windows. For some reason it always boots up with windows after saving the settings. Am I missing something? I Always have to go to boot menu to select OSX; like it to stay the primary :-/

• Like 1

Thank you it worked! :-D

All set Iron! Thank you....I do have a quick question. It all works flawless. I do have 1 more question. In bios I set the primary disk to being OSX and the secondary Windows. For some reason it always boots up with windows after saving the settings. Am I missing something? I Always have to go to boot menu to select OSX; like it to stay the primary :-/

Hey eaym3tal, you can fix it under OS X in the pref panel, set the startup boot disk to be OS X, it should work

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tip (this is not new but is sometimes overlooked) : Booting Recovery HD with a Maxwell  GPU

Recovery HD can be a life saver only if you can boot from it ...

Ever tried to boot with Recovery HD with a Maxwell GPU ... -> Kernel Panic

Here's how to fix it ...

Mount the Recovery HD partition using Disk Utility (Yosemite or earlier) or the command line  (El Capitan)

once you have it mounted , go into Terminal and

sudo pico -w /Volumes/Recovery\HD /com.apple.recovery.boot/com.apple.Boot.plist 

add nv_disable=1 to the Kernel Flags key before whatever is already there (so can also add -v if you want Recovey HD to boot in verbose mode)

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>nv_disable=1 (..whatever is already there)</string>

save it , unmount the Recovery HD, done

You will not get hardware accelerated graphics but you'll get access to the all the tools provided on the Recovery HD.

To test it, boot with F12 and select the Recovery HD to boot from.

Warning: You might need to redo this after a System Update because the Recovery HD is usually overwriiten  when  OS X is updated

• Like 1

Hey all, 

Experiencing an odd issue for a little while now. For some reason, my OSX UI will freeze but my mouse still moves. I cannot click anything and it forces me to do a hard reset on the machine. Anyone have ideas on how or why this is happening? Ive reset NVRAM many times to try to fix the issue but no luck. Im suspecting its something to do with the HD4000? Im pretty sure i'm on the Xmas 166x Bios.  Currently running Prime 95 (RAM testing) to see if any errors occur. System was stable without any hiccups for quite sometime with 1479 so maybe its BIOS related?

Update: Doing a memtest now to see if any errors happen

Check if there would not be a filessystem check running in the background ...you can check in terminal if running

tail  /var/log/fsck_hfs.log 

If there is a filesystem check running and you reset the system while it is running it will spawn again at next restart ..

Side note : Is that happening with both Mavericks and El Cap ? All aplications ? or Finder only ?