Generic USB2.0 (EHCI) Driver

orByte

474 posts in this topic

kextload -v -t /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

- Look at the kextload output: Because AppleUSBEHCI is loaded, it will not load but it should say:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be valid

If the kext is not valid make sure you followed the instructions. If it is valid, proceed to:

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

10.4.7 appear this "kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be valid

kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying kmod

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext"

Hi all!

I was working on 10.5.2 version for a couple of months and the last weekend I've installed 10.5.6 (JaS version). I have had some problems with LAN, sound and video, but all is fine now.

Yesterday after couple of restarts I got message:

USBF: xx.xxx AppleUSBOHCI[0xxxxxxxx::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

(the 'x' letter means there sould be an address there, but I'm at work now and don't remember. I got this message twice with different address)

The wierd thing is I have two OS X partition. I always make full partition backup of the last working configuration. Now I can't boot from both main and backup partition.

In meantime (before crash) I tried if my MP3 player works as USB storage disk (it was!!), and then I got the error message after reboot.

I don't remember if I made backup before or after connecting the MP£ player.

Could the connecting activate any extension to support USB which makes this crash?

I got this message before when I tried to patch ATA extension, but I could boot or recover everything from the backup partition. Now I can't!! :whistle:

My system is AMD 64 Sempron (SSE3), Gigabyte K8-NS motherboard, nForce3 250 chipset, nVidia 6200 video card.

Is is possible to run OS X in something like 'safe mode' without any unneccesary extensions? to check what is wrong?

Many thanks for you help

Greg

Hi All

Ok, last night I'he tried safe mode ( -x) and it was OK. Finally I found out theat I need to add -f in boot line to rebuild the extension cache. I don't know why!!! Has anyone got the same problem?

PS. Of course my system is 10.4.6, not 10.5.6 :2cents:

Regards

why did you remove the file. any chance you can repost it , id like to try.. ive had this problem since 10.4.3

Hi thanks, I just realized the file is no longer there! Will re-upload in the evening. I have also had success using the PCGen kext under 10.4.6 . Will post link later. Best.

Edit:

And, pincopanco - if you get this message AND AppleUSBEHCI is loaded, then you should be fine to proceed. However, if you get this message and you have already deleted AppleUSBEHCI - then it looks like and incompatibility.

Still unable to take ownership from bios.. :)

Bummer ... Have you got any BIOS legacy settings? Do they make a difference? Do you get the 'EHCI Ownership Conflict' message? Another possibility: is there a BIOS upgrade available for your MB - this works sometimes.

Best.

Bummer ... Have you got any BIOS legacy settings? Do they make a difference? Do you get the 'EHCI Ownership Conflict' message? Another possibility: is there a BIOS upgrade available for your MB - this works sometimes.

Best.

I am using DFI Lanparty nF4-D,

no such option in the bios setting...

just "USB Park Mode"... something like that

Legacy Mode on this bios is done by Disabling USB Keyboard Support and Disabling USB Mouse Support in Bios. This way they work in OS X at boot up no probs. but then they do not work in Darwin boot selector or in Dos Mode. Most of the time I have to get round the Back and Unplug em, then plug em, this is With them Two USB K/B / Mouse Options Enabled.

Weird Prob...

Cant really change Bios as this is the best one for this Hardware, Overclocking Wise.

Legacy Mode on this bios is done by Disabling USB Keyboard Support and Disabling USB Mouse Support in Bios. This way they work in OS X at boot up no probs. but then they do not work in Darwin boot selector or in Dos Mode. Most of the time I have to get round the Back and Unplug em, then plug em, this is With them Two USB K/B / Mouse Options Enabled.

Weird Prob...

Cant really change Bios as this is the best one for this Hardware, Overclocking Wise.

BTW, can u use high speed usb device?

I checked out the motherboard on the net. It is definitely a very good one for overclocking. I do not want to raise any hopes but I have another trick up my sleeve, which I will go ahead and try it out (no timetable though...) However, it is a bit risky as it attempts direct access to the SMI registers. Risky in terms of potential crashing to fry-ups ! (Though fry-up would be unlikely...) Unless you wanted to have an egg or two on the side, heh, heh - nothing like a good fry up (on occasion and when it is not the CPU). Best. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have such a same problem. While booting in verbose mode OS shows:

USBF: xx.xxx AppleUSBOHCI[xxxxxxxxx]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

My BIOS hasn't "legacy USB support" option. All my USB 2.0 devices work correctly and USB 1.0 (1.1) such as mice, modems etc. are not(

Help Please! I use JaS 10.4.7 and i have SiS 7001 OHCI controller. New apple IOUSBFanily.kext didn't do anything(((

USBF: xx.xxx AppleUSBOHCI[xxxxxxxxx]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

My BIOS hasn't "legacy USB support" option. All my USB 2.0 devices work correctly and USB 1.0 (1.1) such as mice, modems etc. are not(

Help Please! I use JaS 10.4.7 and i have SiS 7001 OHCI controller. New apple IOUSBFanily.kext didn't do anything(((

Hi could you pls. be precise about the errors. If you get 'OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep', this means that your OHCI (i.e. USB 1.1) controller has been recognised. Try posting

ioreg -w0 -bl | grep USB, and

cat /var/log/system.log | grep USB (this is a long file, so just the latest reboot pls.)

At what point in the boot process, is your mice not being recognised? What happens when you plug it in/out.

Are you using Apple USB family 256.4.2? This family works quite well with generic intel stuff.

PCGEN is for USB 2.0 only.

Best.

Thank you for your reply! Since last week in many threads noone replied me :P. Someone advised me to use 10.4.3 IOUSBFamily kexts. These files i've attached are made using 10.4.3 usb kexts, but nothing works again. My USB 1.1 devices are recognized after several seconds after starting Mac OS X. And start from "will be unloaded across sleep" message. When i plug my mouse it hust says something like "wasn't able to enumerate device connected to this bus". Anyway i attach two files. Excuse me but their are RTF format. I will be very appreciated if could help me to solve my problrm! :construction:

P.S. new 10.4.7 Apple drivers didn't help me too

ioreg.rtf

cat.rtf

Hmmm... It looks like the OHCI (USB 1.1) is being recognised as EHCI (USB 2.0) - then the speed mismatch is causing timeout errors. This may or may not be fixable. It is funny that there is no AppleUSBOHCI entry in ioreg, when the module appears loaded based on the system log. Could you run

kextstat, and

ioreg -l | grep AppleUSBOHCI, and

ioreg -l | grep AppleUSBUHCI

after a cold start, i.e. after you have unplugged system power lead for more than 10 seconds, or if laptop removed battery...

Just to be sure. I ll also compare your kexstat against mine as I am also on 10.4.7. What's your motherboard make?

Best.

I also have problems with USB 1.1 devices in 10.4.8 with IOUSBFamily-261.4.2: after wake up they are not reconnected automaticaly.

Interesting that I have also a USB 2.0 hub connected to the system and it works fine. When I connect USB 1.1 devices through the hub they continue working after wake up.

orByte, is it possible to fix my OHCI?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. The relevant sections of the kexts appear fine. I did not notice anything glaring that could be causing problems. I am not sure that this is a simple fix. However, you may wish to try Andrei's suggestion. It could work. I have used a similar solution for running USB 2.0 through a USB 1.1 hub but you would need to try a USB 2.0 hub. So if you have one lying around try it out. If not, you could buy one, but it is probably not worthwhile breaking the bank - as the result of the test is uncertain. Maybe a friend could loan you one.

On other news, the Sis7001 controller appears to have had a troubled life even in the windows world. Here is a configuration link maybe it will have some useful info.

edit: You could also check to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available from Asus.

Best.