• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

mka101

mka101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hmm tried your method and it didn't work. After the reboot i still got the same error message with EHCI not able to take ownership and when i physically turn on the device it slows down the comp big time. If i disable legacy USB everything works fine and runs smoothly. Have any suggestions why this isn't working for me?

This is what i keep getting

USBF: 16.991 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS
USBF: 16.991 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2c56000]: unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be
USBF: 16.991 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2c56000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
USBF: 16.993 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2c56000]: UIMFinalize 0 0 0x2c98700
USBF: 16.993 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

I am running 10.4.8 and i ran your instructions 100% to the tee.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BTW i have a Intel D915GUX motherboard and i know most new motherboards has the option to hand off EHCI in the bios , mine does not have that option as it is older and i do have Legacy USB enabled or else my USB keyboard does not work in the bootloader screen.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but this is what i see in my USB section of the system profiler

Host Controller Location: Built In USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x265a
PCI Revision ID: 0x0003
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x5d

and lastly this is what it shows for the kext being loaded.

PCGenUSBEHCI:

Version: 2.5.6
Last Modified: 04/10/06 9:52 PM
Get Info String: Based on 2.5.6 AppleUSBEHCI Copyright 2000-2006 Apple Computer Inc., All Rights Reserved, orByte:Modified under APSL 2.0
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
kext Version: 2.5.6
Load Address: 0x2a45b000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors:
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found
Integrity: Unknown

Now when i have legacy USB disabled this is what i get.

USB Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x2659
Bus Number: 0x3d

psc 1310 series:

Version: 1.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: hp
Product ID: 0x3f11
Serial Number: CN483B21W4O2
Vendor ID: 0x03f0

PCGenUSBEHCI:

Version: 2.5.6
Last Modified: 04/10/06 9:52 PM
Get Info String: Based on 2.5.6 AppleUSBEHCI Copyright 2000-2006 Apple Computer Inc., All Rights Reserved, orByte:Modified under APSL 2.0
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
kext Version: 2.5.6
Load Address: 0x29d23000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors:
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found
Integrity: Unknown

And the system run's fast still. No change in speed when it's disabled. One thing that i did notice as well is the following. I have a seperate card that is usb 2.0 and i believe on the intel board the ports can be both 1.1 or 2.0 (depending if it is enabled in the bios or not).

this is what shows up

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x265c
Bus Number: 0xfd

Didn't have this one before (only when USB legacy is disabled)

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hmm tried your method and it didn't work. After the reboot i still got the same error message with EHCI not able to take ownership and when i physically turn on the device it slows down the comp big time.

Notice the following
Cold Start - Working
1. USBF:   20.697  Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
2. USBF:   20.698  Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x10001 - writing OSOwned
3. USBF:   22.887  acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
USBF:   22.929  AppleUSBEHCI[0x3537800]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:   22.953  AppleUSBOHCI[0x3502000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:   22.954  AppleUSBOHCI[0x3526000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:   22.955  AppleUSBOHCI[0x3527800]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Restart - Working
1. USBF:	  26.816  Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
1a. USBF:	  26.816  EHCI - Ownership conflict - attempting to resolve ...
1b. USBF:	  26.825  EHCI - Try resetting OS Ownership to 0
2. USBF:	  26.826  Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x10001 - writing OSOwned
3. USBF:	  29.  5  acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
USBF:	  29. 62  AppleUSBEHCI[0x41bf000]::start EHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:	  29.107  AppleUSBOHCI[0x4435800]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:	  29.108  AppleUSBOHCI[0x4436000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF:	  29.109  AppleUSBOHCI[0x44e2800]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Not -working (PCGenUSBEHCI)
1. USBF:	  27.291  Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
2. USBF:	  27.291  Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1010001 - writing OSOwned
ERR. USBF:	  27.699  EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS
USBF:	  27.700  AppleUSBEHCI[0x41cf000]: unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be
USBF:	  27.701  AppleUSBEHCI[0x41cf000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
USBF:	  27.722  AppleUSBEHCI[0x41cf000]: UIMFinalize 0 0 0x441b600
USBF:	  27.722  AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

Do you get (1) & (2)? If not, then based on execution branching, you are not running PCGenUSBEHCI. If you get (ERR) only and NOT (1) & (2) then you must be running AppleUSBEHCI.

With PCGenUSBEHCI, with Legacy USB disabled you should get (1), and with legacy enabled you should get (1) & (2)

If you got (1) & (2), and are still having problems, then you have a problem with the Intel controller. You can try a BIOS upgrade if available, or disable legacy BIOS. Sorry that I do not have any better news for you. But I could be wrong of course. Best.

mka101

mka101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
hmm yeah i still only get

USBF: 16.991 AppleUSBEHCI[0x2c56000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

With legacy enabled. ahd PCGenUSBEHCI is running, AppleUSBEHCI is not running as I removed it from IOUSBFamily. Doesn't even show up in the loaded extensions in system profiler. PCGenUSBEHCI does though. I believe there is another thing that might be loading up for me.

AppleUSBUHCI? does that make a difference? what is that if you know what it is

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

hmm yeah i still only get

With legacy enabled. ahd PCGenUSBEHCI is running, AppleUSBEHCI is not running as I removed it from IOUSBFamily. Doesn't even show up in the loaded extensions in system profiler. PCGenUSBEHCI does though. I believe there is another thing that might be loading up for me.

AppleUSBUHCI? does that make a difference? what is that if you know what it is

That's odd. The first thing the code does is to issue
Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
. You should really be seeing that message. The AppleUSBUHCI should not be causing a conflict as it is for low/full speed usb devices on Intel & VIA units. I am wondering whether this could be related to 10.4.8. PCGen was compiled against 10.4.7. Sorry mate, that's the only other thing I could think of.

mka101

mka101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
alright no worries. For now i don't mind disabling Legacy as everything works when i do that. But who knows maybe once IOUSBFamily 10.4.8 comes out you might compile a PCGen for 10.4.8 and it might work :)

Thanks for the help though. I do appreciate it.

pincopanco

pincopanco

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
[quote name='orByte' date='Sep 30 2006, 08:58 PM' post='199042']
kextload -v -t /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

- Look at the kextload output: Because AppleUSBEHCI is loaded, it will not load but it should say:
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be valid

If the kext is not valid make sure you followed the instructions. If it is valid, proceed to:
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

10.4.7 appear this "kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be valid
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext"

kjur

kjur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hi all!
I was working on 10.5.2 version for a couple of months and the last weekend I've installed 10.5.6 (JaS version). I have had some problems with LAN, sound and video, but all is fine now.

Yesterday after couple of restarts I got message:

USBF: xx.xxx AppleUSBOHCI[0xxxxxxxx::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

(the 'x' letter means there sould be an address there, but I'm at work now and don't remember. I got this message twice with different address)

The wierd thing is I have two OS X partition. I always make full partition backup of the last working configuration. Now I can't boot from both main and backup partition.

In meantime (before crash) I tried if my MP3 player works as USB storage disk (it was!!), and then I got the error message after reboot.
I don't remember if I made backup before or after connecting the MP player.
Could the connecting activate any extension to support USB which makes this crash?

I got this message before when I tried to patch ATA extension, but I could boot or recover everything from the backup partition. Now I can't!! :whistle:

My system is AMD 64 Sempron (SSE3), Gigabyte K8-NS motherboard, nForce3 250 chipset, nVidia 6200 video card.

Is is possible to run OS X in something like 'safe mode' without any unneccesary extensions? to check what is wrong?

Many thanks for you help
Greg

kjur

kjur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hi All

Ok, last night I'he tried safe mode ( -x) and it was OK. Finally I found out theat I need to add -f in boot line to rebuild the extension cache. I don't know why!!! Has anyone got the same problem?

PS. Of course my system is 10.4.6, not 10.5.6 :2cents:

Regards

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
why did you remove the file. any chance you can repost it , id like to try.. ive had this problem since 10.4.3

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

why did you remove the file. any chance you can repost it , id like to try.. ive had this problem since 10.4.3

Hi thanks, I just realized the file is no longer there! Will re-upload in the evening. I have also had success using the PCGen kext under 10.4.6 . Will post link later. Best.

Edit:
And, pincopanco - if you get this message AND AppleUSBEHCI is loaded, then you should be fine to proceed. However, if you get this message and you have already deleted AppleUSBEHCI - then it looks like and incompatibility.

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
You had a chance to repost the file.? , anyone else got a copy they could post.?

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

You had a chance to repost the file.? , anyone else got a copy they could post.?

The link has now been posted on the top of PAGE 1: Quick Link

Best. :P

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Thank you very much. :sorcerer: will try asap

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Still unable to take ownership from bios.. :sorcerer:

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Still unable to take ownership from bios.. :)

Bummer ... Have you got any BIOS legacy settings? Do they make a difference? Do you get the 'EHCI Ownership Conflict' message? Another possibility: is there a BIOS upgrade available for your MB - this works sometimes.

Best.

meattattat

meattattat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Bummer ... Have you got any BIOS legacy settings? Do they make a difference? Do you get the 'EHCI Ownership Conflict' message? Another possibility: is there a BIOS upgrade available for your MB - this works sometimes.

Best.

I am using DFI Lanparty nF4-D,
no such option in the bios setting...
just "USB Park Mode"... something like that

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Legacy Mode on this bios is done by Disabling USB Keyboard Support and Disabling USB Mouse Support in Bios. This way they work in OS X at boot up no probs. but then they do not work in Darwin boot selector or in Dos Mode. Most of the time I have to get round the Back and Unplug em, then plug em, this is With them Two USB K/B / Mouse Options Enabled.

Weird Prob...

Cant really change Bios as this is the best one for this Hardware, Overclocking Wise.

meattattat

meattattat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Legacy Mode on this bios is done by Disabling USB Keyboard Support and Disabling USB Mouse Support in Bios. This way they work in OS X at boot up no probs. but then they do not work in Darwin boot selector or in Dos Mode. Most of the time I have to get round the Back and Unplug em, then plug em, this is With them Two USB K/B / Mouse Options Enabled.

Weird Prob...

Cant really change Bios as this is the best one for this Hardware, Overclocking Wise.

BTW, can u use high speed usb device?

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I checked out the motherboard on the net. It is definitely a very good one for overclocking. I do not want to raise any hopes but I have another trick up my sleeve, which I will go ahead and try it out (no timetable though...) However, it is a bit risky as it attempts direct access to the SMI registers. Risky in terms of potential crashing to fry-ups ! (Though fry-up would be unlikely...) Unless you wanted to have an egg or two on the side, heh, heh - nothing like a good fry up (on occasion and when it is not the CPU). Best. :D

deathr

deathr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Hi! I have such a same problem. While booting in verbose mode OS shows:

USBF: xx.xxx AppleUSBOHCI[xxxxxxxxx]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

My BIOS hasn't "legacy USB support" option. All my USB 2.0 devices work correctly and USB 1.0 (1.1) such as mice, modems etc. are not(
Help Please! I use JaS 10.4.7 and i have SiS 7001 OHCI controller. New apple IOUSBFanily.kext didn't do anything(((

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy