ATI Graphic Issues on AMD ML Hackintosh Systems

AkimoA

193 posts in this topic

Are we sure this isn't something opengl related? When I compare my 4870 (only glitches in chrome with flash as far as I know) and my 5450 (lots of glitches in safari etc).

The 4870 is way faster (more shader units, higher clockrate), so for me it's hard to believe this is speed related.

So I looked up some specifications, these below stood out as the only difference in capabilities (besides raw power of course).

4870 5450
OpenGL version 3.0 3.2
Shader Model 4.1 5.0

No it doesn´t have something to do with the speed. it´s related to qe/ci

Lol, i'm seeing my problem : i just had to reinstall the kexts for my card.

HD6770 full qe/ci :)

Without glitches?

Because it would be interessting if it works for 100% on a Bulldozer.

That could confirm andy´s theory about the ssse3 emulation and timeouts.

yes that is true and your 6770 is Chipwise the same aswell AFAIK

wastez and myself tested with underclocked roms for 5770 without alot of changes in glitches /artifacts

so i guess that is a dead end .....

investigate more

Andy could u have a look inside the AMDRadeon kexts for any clue if you have a minute these days

did you try with "overclocked" roms, too? the thing is, that some people got rid of the glitches by changing the clock speed of certain powersaving modes of the video card so that the graphics card does not enter powermanagement mode. so normaly you just have to tweak one! clockspeed setting in the bios of the graphics card.

Lol, i'm seeing my problem : i just had to reinstall the kexts for my card.

HD6770 full qe/ci :)

what kext's do you use for your 6770? and after reinstall you had problems with artifacts/glitches? and did you got glitches all over osx or just in certain tasks, eg. youtube or videplayback?

Akimoa and me played a little bit with roms today and we had a little success.

To disable power management seems to help.

The most glitches are gone, just some problems are still there. (Flash for example)

But i think this is not the the ultimate cause, it´s just a workaround.....

Akimoa and me played a little bit with roms today and we had a little success.

To disable power management seems to help.

The most glitches are gone, just some problems are still there. (Flash for example)

But i think this is not the the ultimate cause, it´s just a workaround.....

great. if disabling power management works for you should mean that this is not a problem with the amd kernel. because this workaround does work for real mac hardware, too. could you explain what you did? maybe it works for me, too.

in the meanwhile i tried the kext's from 10.6.8. copied ATI5000Controller, ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer and ATIRadeonx3000 to my /S/L/E. Everything is working except QE/CI. Card is also detected and all kext's are loaded. Maybe we can make them work?

Andy, do you think recompiling the kernel in 32bit could solve this?

great. if disabling power management works for you should mean that this is not a problem with the amd kernel

Works .....is something i wouldnt call that atm .....its behaves diffrently sounds better

its far from useable .... i would say that would be a fix for Real Mac users but not for us since the core of the problem is still kernel related what i believe .......

nope SL kexts no need to look at since the Acceleration is supplied/triggerd by the AMDRadeonAccelerator wich isnt present with the old kexts

try by yourself with the radeon bios editor and a chameleon version wich supports boot with rom rev.1819 did it for me ->http://cl.ly/0x3E0s1c3x3f431R343w

be shure u name the rom the rite way otherwise it wont load and offcourse place it in extra folder together with the flag for ati roms....in the plist

great. if disabling power management works for you should mean that this is not a problem with the amd kernel. because this workaround does work for real mac hardware, too. could you explain what you did? maybe it works for me, too.

in the meanwhile i tried the kext's from 10.6.8. copied ATI5000Controller, ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer and ATIRadeonx3000 to my /S/L/E. Everything is working except QE/CI. Card is also detected and all kext's are loaded. Maybe we can make them work?

I´m also sure that the problem is still in the kernel, hope andys idea about ssse3emu times will be confirmed.

This doesn´t solve the main problem it just masks it.

Hope this insight will forward us to the main problem.

How could we use the 32-bit kernel? ML kexts are 64-bit.

• Like 1

so, seems like fx cpus have the same problems: http://www.insanelym...s/#entry1881675 and http://www.insanelym...20#entry1881693

question is, does the ssse3-emulator checks if ssse3 on the cpu is there and then disables itself or does ssse3 calls still go through the emu?

maybe it's really kernel related but has nothing to do with the emulator.

the problem is, for me, that all logs are fine. if at least there were some error messages about things going wrong, but nothing.

what patches are in the kernel now besides the in-kernel crypto and the emulator? are all of them needed or are there things that are don't needed any longer with the introduction of the emulator stuff? maybe we should start with a new kernel and applying patch after patch carefully with testing every single patch?

ah damn, it feels miserable if you can't code and are dependent on somebody who can.... kernel patching isn't that hard, did that quite often with linux. for compiling i only have xcode3, as i can't login to the appstore with ml.

another thing that perplexes me is the fact that the nvidia drivers have cpuid stuff. i mean why would apple do that for nvidia but not for ati?

Without glitches?

Because it would be interessting if it works for 100% on a Bulldozer.

That could confirm andy´s theory about the ssse3 emulation and timeouts.

Hi , yes without glitches.

But i'm not using andy's kernel, because it won't boot for me.

Bitcore

yeah, should be this one, or? : http://www.insanelym...80#entry1876715

can you try if the above kernel works? maybe just comparing size is ok, too.

edit: ehm, sorry, i can look for myself. did it and can confirm this is sinetek's amd test1 kernel.

That is the same kernel ;)

When booting up my 10.8.2 today i found something strange.

My dock looked realy weird.

When taking a look at system info , i found this: My GPU wasn't detected as HD6770 anymore!

Right now it says HD5xxx series :'| I cant normally read any article on the internet!

It just glitches.

I really hope to fix this :0

how unfortunate ;) ...sorry my sarcassm .......

:king:

lets all wait and see ....my guess strongens that it is AMD Accel related ......since 48XX seems to run perfect by reports of other users so far ??!!

just a quick question to a 48xx User

is AMDradeonAccelerator Kext loaded aswell on full QE CI ?

tx

yeah akimoa, i nearly thought the same.

the radeon hd 4x seems to work the best atm. hd 6x can work and hd 5x is a no go.

if you look into ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext and compare device strings, you can see that the hd4x series use ATIRadeonX2000 instead of AMDRadeonAccelerator. the thing is: what's the difference between those two? i think only apple or ati could tell us. maybe it's a bug? maybe accelerator uses some ssse3 strings.

is there a chance that a hd 5x could work as 4x? maybe we could try that ;)

what's the difference between those two?

check the binary file ;) if i knew id tell ya i did all weird experiments X3000 .kext was what the AMD Accel is rite now roughly .... even going back to the stage before like to 10.7.5 when there was no Accel kext ...no chance

i did check the binary with otool ;) but as i'm not a programmer, this is mostly weird stuff for me ;)

anyways, since people report problems in lion, too i think apple started to move towards a new acceleratorsystem in lion. the thing is, did they introduce a software bug or is it some strange hardware behaviour that was uncovered with the new software design? what i don't understand is the fact, that sometimes it works for people and sometimes it don't. why? i mean hd 6x all use the same drivers and stuff, but there are certain people wo have no problems. that is why some "hardware bug" comes to mind. or do the radeon's in mac hardware have some special features that normal radeon's don't have?

@akimoa:

you had a little experiment with roms? maybe you could help. i thought i try to inject a rom from a hd4x card with nearly same specs. here is a site with nearly all radeon roms from different vendors. if you wan't to give it a go... ;)

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

i did check the binary with otool ;) but as i'm not a programmer, this is mostly weird stuff for me ;)

anyways, since people report problems in lion, too i think apple started to move towards a new acceleratorsystem in lion. the thing is, did they introduce a software bug or is it some strange hardware behaviour that was uncovered with the new software design? what i don't understand is the fact, that sometimes it works for people and sometimes it don't. why? i mean hd 6x all use the same drivers and stuff, but there are certain people wo have no problems. that is why some "hardware bug" comes to mind. or do the radeon's in mac hardware have some special features that normal radeon's don't have?

@akimoa:

you had a little experiment with roms? maybe you could help. i thought i try to inject a rom from a hd4x card with nearly same specs. here is a site with nearly all radeon roms from different vendors. if you wan't to give it a go... ;)

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

We tried all variants of roms. Akimoa and me injected it via the Bootloader.

Tried to use apple original rom of a 5770, modifing the speed of core and ram and disabling the Powermangement of the original one.

To disable the powermangement and also really helps and make it better but it´s also still not usable.

Reducing the speed also helps but i´m not sure if really the reduce made it better or if it also had something to do with the PM.

Greetz

@wastez:

wich bootloader did you use and how did you inject?

i'm with chameleon 2.2. tried useatirom=yes and placed the rom in /extra as vendorid_deviceid_subsysid.rom. the bootloader loads the rom but immediately halts the system. tried with the original rom from my card and it's the same...

so, am i missing something?