• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

dark_ata

dark_ata

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for you very fast reply, finally we are going to reassemble in the hack the areca 1882-ix-16, yes i know we have a very good sas controller catching dust only for the fan noise xD

joppino80

joppino80

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Guys, I cannot find the 10.8 compatible version anymore. I can't compile the current source on Xcode with 10.9 SDK. Anyone succeded in doing that? The module author doesn't answer to PMs :( I can't upgrade my workstation in the near future to Mavericks, I'm afraid it will stop working with my current hardware and I cannot afford upgrading my graphics card, etc. Any hint? 

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Any hint? 

Did you try to contact OP through GitHub or his website?

Mephistol

Mephistol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I'm wanting to get a SAS 9200-8e to go into a desktop to interface with a 4bay 1u raid enclosure I have. I also plan on throwing the card in a thunderbolt enclosure. Everything I've read suggests I should have no problem, even though I won't be able to do IT mode. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. My 1u enclosure should be passive (it's just a psu and a sas->sata cable basically) so there shouldn't be a problem with the backplane.

One thing that is interesting is that Avid has the 9200-8e listed in it's certified supported hardware list for for 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 which makes me think the 9200-8e should be natively supported, or that maybe there's a kext that ships with Avid that we could maybe use. 

Citation: http://resources.avi...igguideRevG.pdfPage 3, Supported Hardware table.

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

... throwing the card in a thunderbolt enclosure.

Would you clarify this statement? Some specs or model number please.

If you haven't yet purchased a card, any reason you wouldn't purchase a card which does in fact work with the OP's kext?

The card you want is Fusion-MPT which OP has said is definitely unsupported. It'd be great if you're willing to take one for the team and give this all a test and share the results.

Mephistol

Mephistol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

The readme for dukzcry's SASMegaRaid kext says 92xx should work. My 2nd choice was going to be a Dell Perc h800 since it has external mini-sas and no weird connectors

My drive enclosure is https://eshop.macsal...m/OWC/MRP1MSAS/

As far as thethunderbolt enclosure, I was going to get an Akitio, but ended up finding a thunderbolt HBA that's supported natively for roughly $100 (Rocketstor 6324L).

I still need to get a pci-e HBA so that I can use the enclosure with my hackintosh that's running Yosemite. 

Would you clarify this statement? Some specs or model number please.

If you haven't yet purchased a card, any reason you wouldn't purchase a card which does in fact work with the OP's kext?

The card you want is Fusion-MPT which OP has said is definitely unsupported. It'd be great if you're willing to take one for the team and give this all a test and share the results.

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

The readme for dukzcry's SASMegaRaid kext says 92xx should work. My 2nd choice was going to be a Dell Perc h800 since it has external mini-sas and no weird connectors

As I stated before, the card you mentioned, 9200-e, is a Fusion-MPT-based card. The IBM M1015 is crossed out in the OP, which also has the LSI 2008 controller. BUT the H310, with a 2008 chip, seems to be compatible. Go figure.

The differences between: https://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSI

LSI 9200-e spec sheet: https://docs.broadco...6&ssbinary=true

The two enclosures you mention are definitely NOT passive. There's a backplane in both which will breakout the data and power to each drive, similar to most other external enclosures. Personally, I've never encountered a passive external enclosure with mini-SAS SFF-8088.

Mephistol

Mephistol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Copy that. So it looks like my best (and possibly only option) is just to get a card that is natively supported, ie Atto, Areca, Rocketraid, etc considering I'm using external enclosures and readers.

As I stated before, the card you mentioned, 9200-e, is a Fusion-MPT-based card. The IBM M1015 is crossed out in the OP, which also has the LSI 2008 controller. BUT the H310, with a 2008 chip, seems to be compatible. Go figure.

The differences between: https://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSI

LSI 9200-e spec sheet: https://docs.broadco...6&ssbinary=true

The two enclosures you mention are definitely NOT passive. There's a backplane in both which will breakout the data and power to each drive, similar to most other external enclosures. Personally, I've never encountered a passive external enclosure with mini-SAS SFF-8088.

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

It appears the InsanelyMac master download is corrupted. I get an error when attempting to run the installer--Sierra says "'Installer' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to trash."

I have re-downloaded it four times now, plus tried to open it with Pacifist. Pacifist is unable to open the file.

I downloaded the source and built the SASMegaRaid.kext kext, but hit some errors try build the rest. I guess I don't really need the CLI or whatnot?

RAID is up and running, although with awfully slow performance. Perhaps I need to wait for that initialize to finish ;p

Thanks Jfive!

Here is a copy I had lying around.. It opened on my Mac just fine. 

Unfortunately both versions are corrupt for me... Does anyone have a working copy laying around?

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

I found these two files on my computer. One is the installer and the other is the kext. Not sure about which version it is, but the installer 'dated created' reads: 2013 July. I had to zip the installer or else it wouldn't upload to Zippyshare. I LITERALLY used this today and it worked. My wife made a boo boo and my mobo died and killed my SSD, so I just did a full reinstall on my new gear. Why did I get married......

Not sure how long the link will be valid after today.

http://www11.zippysh...yfCEW/file.html

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Found another version of the installer which states the date created: as 2016 Jan 27.

http://www57.zippysh...fYQjJ/file.html

vjwz

vjwz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

It works on my OSX Sierra.  It's awsome.  Thanks a lot!

CPU: Xeon E3-1245v2

Main Board: Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH

Graphic Card: GTX970

RAID: LSI 9260-8i( 4*3T, RAID 5)

Attached File  LSI.png   88.89KB   6 downloads

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

That second installer worked for my Sierra installation, too - used Mountain Lion for the other installer.

The kexts and tool worked in both circumstances for me on Sierra - just had to unpack them. Was just curious about the installer being corrupted. :)

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
That's great it worked for you both!! Hopefully others will find these too.

@drowsyhaze: Not sure why you had to unpack the installer and I'm really unsure about it being corrupt. Worked fine for me. My first guess would be to blame Sierra but I'm still in El Capitan so I can't confirm. Furthermore, the installer worked just fine according to VJWZ so it may not be Sierra. Where both installers corrupted on your machine? Did you attempt to re-download the ZIPs?

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Yup, tried those things. The second installer worked on Sierra. The first one did not, verified on three installations (two hacks and one macbook pro).

I also tried to compile from the GitHub source but no luck on Sierra or ML Xcode. Worked on 10.10 though (didn't try 10.9 or 10.11).

The installer is totally unnecessary - just move the files to the appropriate locations.

I am curious about the kext differences, though - one is from 2013 the other from 2014, and the latter is half the size of the former. I'm assuming the latter is the 64-bit only version someone had mentioned compiling and posting in this thread? I'll check when I'm back on my desktop :)

Neolo

Neolo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hi. The driver is great, but PERC 6/i with latest firmware on EL Capitan (latest as well) is freezes after some major file operations. Freezes for good, finder goes unresponsive so bad that I can't even do soft reboot, only power reset helps.

When idle it doesn't freeze for weeks. Having 2 raids type 1, 4 sas drives 600G each, using release kext, nothing crazy. Changed drives back and forth, all drives are brand new. What is wrong with it?

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

@drowsyhaze: I can't comment on the differences. Only shared what was found on my drive. You are correct, the installer is unnecessary for advanced users. However, it's an easier method for those less savvy. :wink_anim:

@Neolo:  edit: Be certain that the heatsink has PLENTY of airflow, direct airflow if possible. Also, if you haven't done so already, apply some new thermal paste. That card is likely almost a decade old. I replaced the original heatsink with one of these chipset heatsink with fan.

Neolo

Neolo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

@Neolo:  edit: Be certain that the heatsink has PLENTY of airflow, direct airflow if possible. Also, if you haven't done so already, apply some new thermal paste. That card is likely almost a decade old. I replaced the original heatsink with one of these chipset heatsink with fan.

Actually yes, remaking the cooling system seems helped, no mo freezes or degraded arrays. Thanks.

Neolo

Neolo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Actually NO, still locks up on PERC 6/i after some random access load, until I power reset it. It's not a cooling problem, but driver. Very unreliable. Such a frustration.

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Actually NO, still locks up on PERC 6/i after some random access load, until I power reset it. It's not a cooling problem, but driver. Very unreliable. Such a frustration.

Dang....  My next suggestion would be to rollback the firmware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy