15 replies to this topic

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi fellow mainboard users,
I'd like to share my success story of installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on this incredibly cheap but powerful motherboard. I have installed an Intel i7 processor on it and 4GB of RAM. Additionally, I installed an Nvidia 9500 GT graphics card.

Posted Image

Installing OSX 10.8
First off, you need to install Mountain Lion, there are plenty of guides but I used 2 that were really similar and both helpful:

http://thetecherra.c...rt-to-finish-2/
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

The important thing to note here is that you must remember to copy FakeSMC.kext and AppleACPIPowerManagement.kext into the installation target drive after installation is complete, and any other kexts you may have added to the installation USB drive (I added PS2 drivers since I still use a PS2 keyboard) :) Additionally, you may want to copy over your SMBios.plist file to the installation partition.

Post-Install
Boot up your installation via your USB drive (select the partition you installed OSX onto) and remember Verbose mode (-v cmd argument). It should be flawless if you copied over the kexts after the installation.

However, there are some missing drivers preventing everything built-in to the mainboard from working, such as Ethernet, Audio, and the PS2 controller.

Built in PS2 Controller
If your mouse and keyboard connect via USB, you can skip this. To use the PS2 jacks for keyboard and mouse built-in to the motherboard, attached are 2 kexts, ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from 10.7. You may want to copy them over also to the installation USB so you'll have a keyboard there.

Built-In Ethernet - Realtek PCIe GBE
Lucky for us, Realtek actually provided a driver for OSX 10.7, it is a .mpkg installer and it's attached. It works flawlessly with 10.8.2.

Built-in Audio - Realtek ALC887
This one was a bit tough - I tried many combinations of kexts to get the ALC887 working without DSDT, and finally 2 kexts from MB made everything work flawlessly... HD sound, front input working and no clicking or static noise! Attached are AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext for ALC887.

Built-in Graphics
Honestly, I didn't even try, and I doubt OSX 10.8 even supports it. I am using an Nvidia 9500 GT card and it actually works right out of the box with QE/CI and dual monitor support, just by using GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Update to OSX 10.8.3 via App Store
Whoopsy. The system no longer boots and a verbose log indicates that it just hangs after the initialization, no kernel panic or strange error whatsoever. Many people suggest to disable VT-D in the bios (Intel Virtualization Technology), in our case it's disabled by default so that doesn't help. Fortunately using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.0 release fixes this issue, it's attached. If you find a better way than to use an outdated kext, let me know!

Attachments: Please install the kexts according to the attachment structure: /Extra/Extensions to the corresponding folder on your partition, and the same for S/L/E. (/System/Library/Extensions). Please remember to use a tool like Kext Wizard to install these for you!

Enjoy your fully-functional installation of Mountain Lion 10.8.2! :)

Attached Files

gurzo

gurzo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Same mobo here. System stuck one minute at the end of -v output than other 1 or 2 minute at login screen (appears but can't clic on the user account).
Then everythings goes right up an wow !

BIOS from 0501 to the latest (at the moment) 0704
Do you have same "time problem" to get up the system ?

Without applehda and hdaenabler it's fast and furious but no sound . . .

Installed and updated to 10.8.2 without problem as you.
Vannilla kernel.

Thx for your kext !

Let me know your opinion, cheers ,-)

Gurzo

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Do you have the exact same motherboard (Lx R2.0)?

gurzo

gurzo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
yep ! so fast !
same same p8h61-m lx r2.0
windows 8 ready etc etc

can you tell me your bios version ?
thx a lot for your help ,-)

Edited by gurzo, 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Panzagrande

Panzagrande

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!! I thought I will never get off the -x mode!!!!

Panzagrande

Panzagrande

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Another question: is it safe to update to 10.8.5?

Thanx again!

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Haven't tried :)

Probably shouldn't cause any issues except the usual AppleACPIPlatform kernel panic

Panzagrande

Panzagrande

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

ok, thanks a lot! I'll try today and post the result.

Panzagrande

Panzagrande

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

An update done ok, restart with -x flag and reinstall mentioned above kexts. Works fully! Thanks again.

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Great to hear :)

waltinho17

waltinho17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
This package is for the kext P8H61-M LX R3.0 motherboard?

toohinc

toohinc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have the same motherboard, but i´m having problems installing Mavericks. when I boot it just keeps rebooting all over.

If I find a solution meanwhile, ill post here of course.

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hi,

Try booting with -v flag to see where it fails.

toohinc

toohinc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi,

Try booting with -v flag to see where it fails.

hi

I have tried almost all combinations of flags possible. The problem is, it loads the kexts so fast and then suddenly reboots, I cant even read where the error is at.

It can be the kernel (mach_kernel), graphics kext, I have reinstalled a couple of times using difent USB installers/guides, all with same problem, keeps rebooting after loading a few kexts.

Thanks for the reply :)

artur-pt

artur-pt

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Interests:TechManiaco

hello

try to replace this kext..

Attached File  AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip   232.15KB   72 downloads

boot

-f -v GraphicsEnabler=No

good hack

toohinc

toohinc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

hello

try to replace this kext..

attachicon.gifAppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

boot

-f -v GraphicsEnabler=No

good hack

thanks for the reply artur-pt.

I forgot to install chameleon after installing mavericks. What a noob i am..

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy