Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Pert reinstall Toh then go to irc.osx86.hu #10.5 on irc and download toh sleep / speed step kernel and use that kernel just dont install the speed step app or the CPU Throttle kext then install pc_efi v5.2 and update with software update and that will add some vanilla kext and apples kernel then you can use the hda patcher 16 and dump to get sound working and i used Diaboliks newest natit package to get my video running smoothly and you should be good and if your network doesnt work just repalce the network kext with the one from 10.4 to get it working just make sure you repair permissions (i screwed mine up couple times not repairing permissions) oh yeah and make sure you install dsmos.kext before the10.5.1 update or else it wont work this will also fix the core 2 duo showing as a core 2 solo

Thanks, will try that.

When I installed before I was actually performing an upgrade. Right now I'm trying a fresh install and I get a blinking "-" after it reboots from the install. I think I need to make the partition bootable. Anyone know the commands/procedure?

Thanks,

Drew

Ok, as far as booting up I think I got it aquared away.

First, I followed the instructions here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

and then (while still booted up on the install DVD) opened a terminal and ran /usr/misc/script.sh VOLUMENAMEHERE

it booted up after that!

Now I'm just realizing how much {censored} I had installed on there before :(

-drew

I tried installing pc_efi again (this time v6) and it still fails w/ the same behavior.

I copied dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extensions, repaired permissions, copied the efi files to /iamefi, booted in single user mode and ran the script. When it reboot it comes up w/ the big grey power button of death.

Did you run it as disk0s1 or rdisk0s1?

Thanks,

Drew

Did you update to the newest Toh kernel on IRC before the efi, The Kernel On tHE CD wouldnt let me boot with efi i had to ugrade to the new toh kernel then intsall efi and dsmos.kext then upgrade to 10.5.1 via software update And I Uses RDISKirc.0sx86.hu#10.5

eh, I hate upgrading kernels :D I will log on and try that before I install pc_efi again.

There seem to be a lot of versions, which one did you use? Also, is there a guide how to swap out the kernels? It's been awhile since I've had to do this....

Thanks,

Drew

Ok, I found out commands to update the Kernel and I now have pc_efi rolling. I'm downloading Apple updates right now.

I'm documenting my steps along the way for what *I* have to do. I will probably compile the steps into one post for others.

Thanks,

Drew

NOTE: These are instructions that I had to perform for my specific hardware configuration. Your needs may vary but this should be a good baseline to follow to install 10.5 on your XPS 410. Feel free to let me know about corrections and I'll edit.

10.5 clean install instructions. If you have a working installation already, COPY your existing Extentions folder. I had to use my previous IONEtworkingFamily.kext in order for my PCI NIC to function. Step 5 may not need to be done, the install may take care of this. If you get a blinking cursor after reboot, do Step 5.

Files to download:

kernel

dsmos

nvinject

pc_efi

Instructions:

1. Download/Install ToH RC2 10.5

2. Boot up w/ DVD

3. Run Disk Utilities, erase disk, may be easier to name it with no spaces (see step 5)

4. Set disk to "Active" with these instructions:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

5. From a terminal run /usr/misc/script.sh INSERTVOLUMENAMEHERE (name used in step 3)

6. Install OS (remove printers and languages options)

7. Reboot

8. Download latest kernel from #10.5 on irc.osx86.hu (I used 9.0.0/speedstep sse3 kernel)

9. Unpack Kernel to Desktop

10. Rename file on Deksotp to mach_kernel

11. From a terminal type:

a. sudo su

b. cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_old

c. cp -f ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

d. chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

e. chmod 644 /mach_kernel*

12. Reboot here just to make sure the kernel works

13. Copy AppleSMBios.kext (located in pc_efi zip), dsmos.kext, NVinject.kext, and IONetworkingFamily.kext (from 10.4) to /System/Library/Extenstions

14. From a terminal, type:

a. sudo su

b. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extenstions

c. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extenstions

d. rm -rf /System/Library/Extentions.*

e. rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/

f. rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/

15. Reboot

16. Follow instructions for pc_efi

17. Update with official Apple patches

enjoy

hey guys.. long time no post.. sorry

I have been using uphuck 1.4i r3 for a month or so now.. i'm using it as an audio work station, running LOGIC STUDIO 8.. i'm using a belkin firewire pci card (agere chipset) and, which i have my TC Konnekt 24D audio interface connected to, and i am using a standard GeForce 7300GS graphics card (the 8600GTS that it came with won't work for obvious reasons)..

Firstly, logic is unbelieveable! i haven't used it properly for about a year and a half and i have forgotten how much it spanks cubase on MAC or PC.. from a cracked point of view i'm getting 2-4 times better performance under logic than under cubase in Vista - logic is serialed, very efficient, elegant and comes with brilliant bread and butter plugins, where as cubase needs a dongle emulator, jolts, is frustrating and has very bland and quite useless built in plugins..

..also vista is a bit of a nightmare for professional music and audio production.. plugins crash from time to time for no apparent reason and it took me weeks and weeks to get a stable-ish! platform.. Audio software requires different combinations of vista, XP emulation and administrator privaliges to be set (eveytime i see that f@cking privaliges dialogue, the screen goes grey and the PC demands my attention, i want to put my fist through the screen! - oh and it usually aks twice!!!).. osx + logic on the other hand is a lot more stable and more than anything a joy to use and took me about 3 hours to install and get fully functional!

Vista is a pile of {censored}!!!.. i am now faced with a full reinstall, as my TC audio interface has stopped working.. I tried to update the drivers and now my stupid PC won't recognise the TC.. believe me i have tried EVERYTHING.. Vista has a known bug with firewire and usb devices that once you remove a driver and then reinstall, it won't autodetect and in most cases won't allow a manual install.. in my case i get BSOD..

OSX on the other hand isn't perfect and does f@ck up, but when a full reinstall only take a couple of hours, i can just do it when i'm chilling..

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE WITH A PC WHO WANTS TO MAKE MUSIC:

- and this applies to people who own legitamate versions of cubase, sonar etc -

Get a QUAD CORE INTEL CPU w/4GB RAM, install uphuck, logic 8 and a whole bunch of UBs from either www.audionews.ru (torrent) or www.magesy.ws (rapidshare) and have fun. FORGET Vista and live with a few bugs and crashes in OSX - which i PROMISE you will be a LOT less serious than using legit Vista software..

WORKING:

LOGIC 8

Novation Remote SL ZERO (wicked control surface!!)

TC Konnekt 24D

Universal audio UAD-1 DSP accelerator card (pci version - did not expect this to work!)

PROBLEMS and LIMITATIONS:

I must point out that my logic hangs a couple of times a day - and usually recovers within a minute or so.. when it doesn't the machine will either display the 'grey screen of death' or reboot.. This problem i believe is limited to my particular setup, as i get similar symptoms in vista.. Under vista i get LOADS of audio dropouts with my TC and IRQ conflicts between it and my graphics card.. Everytime i hover over something and a halp dialogue appears, for example, the audio playback stutters.. According to TC, the AGERE chipset on my piece of {censored} firewire card is to blame and that TI (texas instruments) is far more reliable.. I've checked many forums and a lot of people have had the same problems and have switched to TI.. I'm gonna get a SIIG pcie card with a TI chipset in the next couple of days and will let you know..

But with these problems aside, OSX and a few crashes STILL beats Vista and its constant irritation hands down..

I hope this helps anyone wanting to produce music or audio..

P.S. Gonna try and get my NIC working with a kext from this forum.. will keep you posted..

The kext is not working for me. I don't even see the NIC listed in the Network Settings app. I did see it there on one of my previous installations, but it is not there.

How can I see the Device ID? I don't see this in System Profiler, perhaps there are some other driver mismatches between us?

Thanks,

Drew

Hey Guys I Got hit with a HUGE power surge today it destroyed my surge protectors and one of my 410s suffered some minor damage and wiped all The HDDs in my house so i had to do a reinstall on all my machines 2 24 inch imacs and 2 410s and a Mac G5 it even erased the firmware on my PS3 it sucks major A$ im tryin to fix my PS3 now thank god the wii was unplugged i think my TV is {censored}ed as well as my lovely Toaster he will be missed i am still working on fixing the 82566 kext and install package the one i uploaded didnt work on my re-install but i have started a new one that seems to be working thanks to the Correct Device and Vendor IDs provided to me by MrJoe i am now trying to make a kext that makes the 82566 run as the 82566 not 8255x, (I was having Speed Problems Using it that way)

Thanks Rob. So you're going to get Gigabit Ethernet? Great! Keep up the good work.

damn nice work dude! now i can rip out me realtek pci card and go onboard in my dimension 9200 :)

still 2 bad only onboard sound works and no x-fi but hell, if nic works i have a fullyy running xps410/dimension 9200 with all hardware detected :)

bigdaddyrob2g: how did you get the dual boot? put osx and vista on seperate disks or partitions?

Get a QUAD CORE INTEL CPU w/4GB RAM, install uphuck, logic 8 and a whole bunch of UBs from either www.audionews.ru (torrent) or www.magesy.ws (rapidshare) and have fun. FORGET Vista and live with a few bugs and crashes in OSX - which i PROMISE you will be a LOT less serious than using legit Vista software..

did you put a quad in a XPS 410 ?

if so, *woot* i'm going ot get one this weekend. i am worried aobut the power supply not being beefy enough with me geforce 7900gt.

I would like to add:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104B&SUBSYS_01DB1028&REV_02&CC_020000

Or

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104B&SUBSYS_01DB1028&REV_02&CC_0200.

Either way, the subsys is 01db1028, maybe each info.plist will have to be tweaked to accept? Also CC number dunno what it is...

That's Windows' output.

did you put a quad in a XPS 410 ?

if so, *woot* i'm going ot get one this weekend. i am worried aobut the power supply not being beefy enough with me geforce 7900gt.

my PC (Dimension 9200) actually came with a Q6600 Core 2 QUAD CPU..

..sorry to get your hopes up if you can't use a QUAD!

BTW.. any news on the internal NIC? i'm reluctant to put any more semi compatible hardware in my just compatible hack ..and i'm busting to get rid of my {censored} vista ..all I use it for is surfing the web!

..oh and it came with a GeForce 8600GTS which looks like it uses quite a bit of juice..

{censored} vista- Yes, thats definitely true

Internal NIC and half-compatible hardware- bigdaddyrob2g's gonna get out a new driver soon, I suggest you wait until he gets it out and the people who tested it post responses.

my PC (Dimension 9200) actually came with a Q6600 Core 2 QUAD CPU....sorry to get your hopes up if you can't use a QUAD!BTW.. any news on the internal NIC? i'm reluctant to put any more semi compatible hardware in my just compatible hack ..and i'm busting to get rid of my {censored} vista ..all I use it for is surfing the web!..oh and it came with a GeForce 8600GTS which looks like it uses quite a bit of juice..
Can you pop the side off your rig and share the knowledge about what size power supply you have in there ?mine is a 375watt which i think is a bit small for a quad and a 7900gt.I bet yours at least has a 500watt'er. It sounds like you got a hell of a system.
© http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel...Core_2_Chipsets says that only the XYY chipsets have Quad support, where X=letter and Y=number.
it's probably more Dell's bios than the chipset for quad support..
Hey Guys I Got hit with a HUGE power surge today it destroyed my surge protectors and one of my 410s suffered some minor damage and wiped all The HDDs in my house so i had to do a reinstall on all my machines 2 24 inch imacs and 2 410s and a Mac G5 it even erased the firmware on my PS3 it sucks major A$$ im tryin to fix my PS3 now thank god the wii was unplugged i think my TV is {censored}ed as well as my lovely Toaster he will be missed i am still working on fixing the 82566 kext and install package the one i uploaded didnt work on my re-install but i have started a new one that seems to be working thanks to the Correct Device and Vendor IDs provided to me by MrJoe i am now trying to make a kext that makes the 82566 run as the 82566 not 8255x, (I was having Speed Problems Using it that way)
holy {censored}, man. i'm so sorry for your loss. Keep fighting the good fight and maybe we'll someday have proper ethernet support. thanks.

the 375 watt psu is beefy enough!

and if you do not trust is you can replace it with any psu you like.

chassis can hold it.

this is my setup on that same psu, original 375 watt:

dimension 9200/xps 410

core 2 duo E6700 cpu

4x 1 gb pc 5300

2x 250 gb raid 0

1 320 gb

2x dvdrw

8800 GTX

X-Fi xtreme music

ageia physx card.

cardreader.

and still runs stable at 3.1 ghz overclock.

used a energy checker on the power and runs on 260 watt idl and 350 watt full use.

I should want to overclock a Dell.... unfortunately there are people who say you can't.

THIS IS HOW:

Open up your XPS, find the PLL, write down the ID, check CPUFSB if it's supported, then you can software-overclock. The PLL, as far as I know, IS SUPPORTED, since Xenn0X said that he did. You won't be able to get drastic changes, as he said, he only got to 3.1, but that's still better than a E6850.

Oh yes, thanks Xenn0X, finally I can get a 8800GT in peace of mind.

Are the 8800GT drivers out yet?

Oh yes, bigdaddyrob2g talked about how his ethernet driver's coming out today. I urge you to visit this topic as much as you can.

EDITED TO ADD CONTENT:

slave-zeo, in a post about a year ago you talked about making a dd image. Would you be so kind as to make it? I really need to get Tiger working alongside Leopard.