• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hi, since my Wi-Fi card is not compatible with OS X, I am going to buy a new one. But I wanted to ask you guys first, so that I buy the right one for my laptop. My laptop is Acer Aspire 5738G, and it has a slot for a half size mini pci-e wifi card. So, I saw a few topics, and the guys have recommended the AR5B91, and I found some on ebay. Is this okay for my PC? I see it's mini, but will it work?

Thanks for advance!

p.s. If you can recommend some cards that are not so expensive, I will be very grateful!

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Try this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833166052
It's perfect for either desktop or laptop because it is minuscule in size. $9.95.T he chipset is based on Broadcom, which is nearly universal.

Attached Files

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Can I buy this from EU(Germany) ? I see only US, Canada and China :(

alex95sv

alex95sv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Is THIS going to be ok? Seeing this http://www.realtek.c...true#RTL8188CUS it might work???

IlViandante

IlViandante

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I use Broadcom BCM4311MCG, it works oob :star_sunglasses:

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Hi, since my Wi-Fi card is not compatible with OS X, I am going to buy a new one. But I wanted to ask you guys first, so that I buy the right one for my laptop. My laptop is Acer Aspire 5738G, and it has a slot for a half size mini pci-e wifi card. So, I saw a few topics, and the guys have recommended the AR5B91, and I found some on ebay. Is this okay for my PC? I see it's mini, but will it work?

Thanks for advance!

p.s. If you can recommend some cards that are not so expensive, I will be very grateful!

AR5B91 is what i use and it works great out of box 10.6.3 or higher with no mods.. its N speed draft unlike BCM94311 that is G speed 54mb which is slower than N

this card is full size not half size.. the sony half size ar5B91 works in someones netbook confirmed.
if they send u ar5b95 (aka AR9285) then it needs a simple fix to add device id 2B to kext.
or fake in dsdt or a legacy kext the device id 2A which is from AR5B91 aka AR9281 that works OOB 10.6.3+

funny thing is the original apple is AR9280 AR5B92 .. device id 2A same. but capabilities differ in transmitter and would not work for me 95% of times until i switched to AR5B91 (non apple not working AR9280 AW-NE772 but AW-NE771 AR5B91 works fine and any other AR5B91).

usb is soo tiny.. i wonder if it has strong signal. i rather use internal replacement

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B005HMZ8B2

Something along those lines is what i use, the AR9285 to be exact. Works with a DSDT edit or patched kext.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B005HMZ8B2

Something along those lines is what i use, the AR9285 to be exact. Works with a DSDT edit or patched kext.

same family chipset.. different device id 2B .. ar5B91 is 2A.
for no mod u can replace with the AR5B91 (half size ?)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wi-Fi, Acer Aspire 5738G

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy