The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

peebee01

peebee01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Thanks,

Any idea on what could go wrong when trying to boot this stick on a P8P67? The only difference between the two boards are the extra eSATA port and the SLI option. Didnt think any kext for either one of those would cause this reboot.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thanks,

Any idea on what could go wrong when trying to boot this stick on a P8P67? The only difference between the two boards are the extra eSATA port and the SLI option. Didnt think any kext for either one of those would cause this reboot.

I would have thought the usb stick should still be able to run setup on your board. Difficult to offer anything useful without knowing the error message though.

Krazubu

Krazubu

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 874 posts
Andy have you noticed the USB 3 makes the mobo spontaneously power on after it has been shutdown ? It has always been so since I have that mobo. The only "fix" I have found is to disable the USB 3. Do you know a cleaner fix ? I guess this has to do with DSDT.

The only difference between the two boards are the extra eSATA port and the SLI option. Didnt think any kext for either one of those would cause this reboot.

As far as I remember the pro and non pro are not that close. Lan is different, so is audio codec, and some other things here and there.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Andy have you noticed the USB 3 makes the mobo spontaneously power on after it has been shutdown ? It has always been so since I have that mobo. The only "fix" I have found is to disable the USB 3. Do you know a cleaner fix ? I guess this has to do with DSDT.

I've not noticed it but that doesnt mean its not happening - I usually end up booting back into windows after using the hack and eventually shut down from there (I rarely shut the pc down).

NurkJon

NurkJon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Turn your speakers on? :)

Btw if you want sleep working properly flash a modified bios and delete NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. I have modified bios version 2103 for the Revision 3.1 and earlier P8P67 Pro boards. This bios will enable sleep and speedstepping so you do not need to use either speedstepper or nullcpupowermanagement kexts

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 bios http://www.mediafire...db4lua28acw438r

P8P67 Pro Rev3.0 and Earlier bios http://www.mediafire...ied5qb0v0hly806

Make sure you flash the correct version for your board - if you are unsure which version you have do NOT flash - If you have a board other than a P8P67 Pro do NOT flash.

Once again for the numpties that may try flashing this to a totally different board or simply dont bother reading the warnings - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, IF YOU FLASH THE WRONG FILE TO THE WRONG BOARD IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

I may have provided the bios files but I'm not secondary support for Asus so if you come unstuck you may well find yourself on your own.

That said feel free to use the files and good luck :)

P.S. If you own an AMD 6950 or 6970 you will need this bios to get Mountain Lion working because you need sleep working in order to get to the desktop. With a 6900 series card you have to set graphicsenabler to no (done by default with the packages in this thread) and install ATY_init (again done by dafault in these packages). You then need to remove the device id's from the ATI6000Controller in order to run the installer (you guessed it its already taken care of in these packages) and after install put the ids back in (do I even need to say it?). Once you have finished setup simply delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from System\Library\Extensions *(yeah ok so the packages don't automatically do this bit because if they did you wouldnt be able to use them without the modified bios - see I do think of you guys :)), clear the cache and reboot. You will then see a nice high res white screen with a mouse pointer at the point where you would normally see the desktop - fear not just press the power button and send your hack to sleep, wait a few seconds and press it again for a nice 3d accelearted experience. iTunes will crash but most other stuff works.

Thanks I'll test this. However I'll probably wait a few weeks to do this as I noticed that I've lost my 16GB USB stick so I've only got a 4GB one and I've got exams coming up next week. Anyway thanks for the information, may I ask exactly what this modification does, why just that hex modification, is there any explanation somewhere? Would be fun to know exactly what I'm really doing.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

why just that hex modification, is there any explanation somewhere? Would be fun to know exactly what I'm really doing.

It simply unlocks a single register in the bios (MSR 0xE2) which in turn allows C-State configuration. By default the bios on the Asus boards locks this register and sets it to read only so when the Apple power management attempts to write to that register bam we get a kernel panic.

AaronT

AaronT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
So are these BIOS's applicable to a Lion install wanting to get sleep working also?

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

So are these BIOS's applicable to a Lion install wanting to get sleep working also?

Yup

fullofmillions

fullofmillions

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got a P8P67 plain (not pro). Can't boot the installer.
Last line on -v boot are:
"Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1035"

Maybe problem could be AppleHDA
Have you any idea how to solve?

Thanks for your work!

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thanks for your work!

That's not your problem - that message wouldn't stop the system from booting.

peebee01

peebee01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for your work!

Looks like we are in the same boat. I ve been trying all kind of different things over the last couple of days but cant find what is causing the reboot.

Is there no way to somehow install ML over a clean Lion install? This would avoid having to boot from the installer USB.

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Andy,
Your work is amazing! I first used your guide to install Snow Leopard early last year. Then used your USB install guide for Lion last summer and now it is time for Mountain Lion. Thank you.

I am using P8P67Pro, 8GB memory Corsair Vengeance, i5-2500K, a reference HD6870.

Prior to this install, I had a 1TB hard disk with three partitions (SL, Win 7 and Lion) and I could boot into any one. I had used your CD5 for the version of Chameleon boot loader. For this install, I created a fourth partition ML and so it is SL, Win 7, Lion and ML.

I was able to install ML and boot into it from the USB stick (step 18) by using boot flags –v GraphicsEnabler=Yes and then install the P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg (step 19). All good so far.

I now remove the USB stick and reboot. I get the Chameleon screen from my Lion installation (your CD5) and there is an option to boot from the ML partition. However, even when I use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag, I cannot boot to that partition. The machine resets and reboots.

I understand the default is GraphicsEnabler is No. Do I have to change it to Yes in the boot.plist in the Extra folder or do I need to change it in a different place also?

I will troubleshoot again tonight, but any thoughts on why I can boot from the USB stick but not from the hard drive partition even though I installed your driver package successfully? Is there something else I need to do to get the Chameleon from the USB stick to replace the one already there from your CD5?
Thank you.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

I now remove the USB stick and reboot. I get the Chameleon screen from my Lion installation (your CD5) and there is an option to boot from the ML partition. However, even when I use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag, I cannot boot to that partition. The machine resets and reboots.

Thats an easy fix, replace the boot file on your lion partition with the one from the ML partition - Your hack is trying to boot up using the old version of chameleon which has no 10.8 support.

Looks like we are in the same boat. I ve been trying all kind of different things over the last couple of days but cant find what is causing the reboot.

Is there no way to somehow install ML over a clean Lion install? This would avoid having to boot from the installer USB.

Give this a try...

On the usb stick open the Extra folder and mount the preboot.dmg file. Open the mounted preboot disk image in finder and delete the dsdt.aml file.
Unmount the preboot.dmg and now try booting from the usb stick

NurkJon

NurkJon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

It simply unlocks a single register in the bios (MSR 0xE2) which in turn allows C-State configuration. By default the bios on the Asus boards locks this register and sets it to read only so when the Apple power management attempts to write to that register bam we get a kernel panic.

Oh i see. So why have they locked this register? Is it only OS X that writes to it? By modifying bios I guess that I'll gain the same avantages in SL and Lion as well so that I won't have to use speedstepper, right?

Another slightly related questions. How's it with overclocking, I run my 2600k@5GHz will this cause any problems for speedstepping, sleep or anything like that?

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Oh i see. So why have they locked this register? Is it only OS X that writes to it? By modifying bios I guess that I'll gain the same avantages in SL and Lion as well so that I won't have to use speedstepper, right?

Another slightly related questions. How's it with overclocking, I run my 2600k@5GHz will this cause any problems for speedstepping, sleep or anything like that?

It should actually help all of the above as long as you delete NullCPUPowermanagement!!!

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Thats an easy fix, replace the boot file on your lion partition with the one from the ML partition - Your hack is trying to boot up using the old version of chameleon which has no 10.8 support.

Thank you. I will try this tonight. Maybe it will fix another problem I uncovered last night. Up to Step 18 was no problem.
However I was unable to boot to the ML partition to install the driver package. So I booted to Lion and tried to install the package on the ML partition but it failed repeatedly. Then I booted into the SL partition and ran the package to successfully install on the ML partition.Next, I was able to boot to the ML partition from the USB stick. Once in, there was no audio. So I reinstalled the package from within ML. Sound worked! I tried to then reboot from the hard drive but got a KP. Then tried to reboot from the USB stick and this time it says waiting for root device. Puzzling that the package installed from SL and not Lion. I am going to try everything fresh tonight.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
pizazz2007 you are falling in to an all too common trap - you need to be aware of what chameleon is doing when you boot it from a different drive or partition than the one you are intending to load - it will look for the kernel and extra folder on the SAME partition that it boots from so be very careful when booting multiple osx versions

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

pizazz2007 you are falling in to an all too common trap - you need to be aware of what chameleon is doing when you boot it from a different drive or partition than the one you are intending to load - it will look for the kernel and extra folder on the SAME partition that it boots from so be very careful when booting multiple osx versions

Yes, you are right!

Last night, I was able to successfully install and boot ML first to a hard drive with just one ML partition and also to a hard drive with 4 partitions SL, Win7, Lion and ML. All the problems I was having with the multi-partition setup was because I had the first partition (SL) as the active one and had an old version of Chameleon (boot file) installed there. I just copied (after backing up the old one) the new boot file from your ML package to the SL partition and voila everything works like a charm.

Thank you!

Alastor89

Alastor89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I can but you do this at your own risk because if you make a mistake you will brick your board so I will make this very very clear THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Google for phoenixtool v1.91 and download it,
  • Open phoenixtool,
  • download the bios file from the Asus site that you wish to edit and open it in phoenixtool,
  • wait for it to do whatever the hell it insisits on doing,
  • select asus as the manufacturer,
  • click advanced,
  • select 'no slic' and 'allow user to modify other modules'
  • click done,
  • click 'go' and wait for the message telling you that 'you can now make manual alterations to modules in the dump file' - DO NOT CLICK OK!.
  • Open the dump folder and look for 2 19kb sized files named 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_370 and 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_440
  • (the last 3 digits may vary depending on which board and bios you are hacking around with),
  • open both files in the hex editor of your choice and search for this hex string 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 and replace it with 00 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 00.
  • Save both files back to the dump folder and then switch back to phoenixtool and click 'OK',
  • it will then repack your changes back into a a new bios file BUT check the log file - if there are any errors at all do NOT attempt to flash the resulting rom.
If you do this and it goes wrong don't cry to me - I have warned you that it can brick your board if you do it wrong. I will not accept any liability whatsoever. The bios files I have made available I have tested myself on my own boards so i am confident they work. If you succesfully modify your own bios and it works perhaps you could also share it :)

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!

That bios is not for your board do NOT flash it - or go ahead at least I will get some peace when you can no longer boot your pc lol :wallbash:

I can follow this step also for mod a p8z68-v bios ?

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

I can follow this step also for mod a p8z68-v bios ?

You can try - if you dont find the hex string then obviosuly leave well alone and dont try to guess what to edit. The 2 files that you need to edit should be similarly named to the ones in the instructions even though you have a different board. If in ANY doubt at all then don't do it - it really will ruin your day if you brick the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy