The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

why just that hex modification, is there any explanation somewhere? Would be fun to know exactly what I'm really doing.

It simply unlocks a single register in the bios (MSR 0xE2) which in turn allows C-State configuration. By default the bios on the Asus boards locks this register and sets it to read only so when the Apple power management attempts to write to that register bam we get a kernel panic.

I've got a P8P67 plain (not pro). Can't boot the installer.

Last line on -v boot are:

"Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1035"

Maybe problem could be AppleHDA

Have you any idea how to solve?

Thanks for your work!

That's not your problem - that message wouldn't stop the system from booting.

I've got a P8P67 plain (not pro). Can't boot the installer.

Last line on -v boot are:

Maybe problem could be AppleHDA

Have you any idea how to solve?

Thanks for your work!

Looks like we are in the same boat. I ve been trying all kind of different things over the last couple of days but cant find what is causing the reboot.

Is there no way to somehow install ML over a clean Lion install? This would avoid having to boot from the installer USB.

Andy,

Your work is amazing! I first used your guide to install Snow Leopard early last year. Then used your USB install guide for Lion last summer and now it is time for Mountain Lion. Thank you.

I am using P8P67Pro, 8GB memory Corsair Vengeance, i5-2500K, a reference HD6870.

Prior to this install, I had a 1TB hard disk with three partitions (SL, Win 7 and Lion) and I could boot into any one. I had used your CD5 for the version of Chameleon boot loader. For this install, I created a fourth partition ML and so it is SL, Win 7, Lion and ML.

I was able to install ML and boot into it from the USB stick (step 18) by using boot flags –v GraphicsEnabler=Yes and then install the P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg (step 19). All good so far.

I now remove the USB stick and reboot. I get the Chameleon screen from my Lion installation (your CD5) and there is an option to boot from the ML partition. However, even when I use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag, I cannot boot to that partition. The machine resets and reboots.

I understand the default is GraphicsEnabler is No. Do I have to change it to Yes in the boot.plist in the Extra folder or do I need to change it in a different place also?

I will troubleshoot again tonight, but any thoughts on why I can boot from the USB stick but not from the hard drive partition even though I installed your driver package successfully? Is there something else I need to do to get the Chameleon from the USB stick to replace the one already there from your CD5?

Thank you.

I now remove the USB stick and reboot. I get the Chameleon screen from my Lion installation (your CD5) and there is an option to boot from the ML partition. However, even when I use the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag, I cannot boot to that partition. The machine resets and reboots.

Thats an easy fix, replace the boot file on your lion partition with the one from the ML partition - Your hack is trying to boot up using the old version of chameleon which has no 10.8 support.

Looks like we are in the same boat. I ve been trying all kind of different things over the last couple of days but cant find what is causing the reboot.

Is there no way to somehow install ML over a clean Lion install? This would avoid having to boot from the installer USB.

Give this a try...

On the usb stick open the Extra folder and mount the preboot.dmg file. Open the mounted preboot disk image in finder and delete the dsdt.aml file.

Unmount the preboot.dmg and now try booting from the usb stick

It simply unlocks a single register in the bios (MSR 0xE2) which in turn allows C-State configuration. By default the bios on the Asus boards locks this register and sets it to read only so when the Apple power management attempts to write to that register bam we get a kernel panic.

Oh i see. So why have they locked this register? Is it only OS X that writes to it? By modifying bios I guess that I'll gain the same avantages in SL and Lion as well so that I won't have to use speedstepper, right?

Another slightly related questions. How's it with overclocking, I run my 2600k@5GHz will this cause any problems for speedstepping, sleep or anything like that?

Oh i see. So why have they locked this register? Is it only OS X that writes to it? By modifying bios I guess that I'll gain the same avantages in SL and Lion as well so that I won't have to use speedstepper, right?

Another slightly related questions. How's it with overclocking, I run my 2600k@5GHz will this cause any problems for speedstepping, sleep or anything like that?

It should actually help all of the above as long as you delete NullCPUPowermanagement!!!

Thats an easy fix, replace the boot file on your lion partition with the one from the ML partition - Your hack is trying to boot up using the old version of chameleon which has no 10.8 support.

Thank you. I will try this tonight. Maybe it will fix another problem I uncovered last night. Up to Step 18 was no problem.

However I was unable to boot to the ML partition to install the driver package. So I booted to Lion and tried to install the package on the ML partition but it failed repeatedly. Then I booted into the SL partition and ran the package to successfully install on the ML partition.Next, I was able to boot to the ML partition from the USB stick. Once in, there was no audio. So I reinstalled the package from within ML. Sound worked! I tried to then reboot from the hard drive but got a KP. Then tried to reboot from the USB stick and this time it says waiting for root device. Puzzling that the package installed from SL and not Lion. I am going to try everything fresh tonight.

pizazz2007 you are falling in to an all too common trap - you need to be aware of what chameleon is doing when you boot it from a different drive or partition than the one you are intending to load - it will look for the kernel and extra folder on the SAME partition that it boots from so be very careful when booting multiple osx versions

• Like 1

pizazz2007 you are falling in to an all too common trap - you need to be aware of what chameleon is doing when you boot it from a different drive or partition than the one you are intending to load - it will look for the kernel and extra folder on the SAME partition that it boots from so be very careful when booting multiple osx versions

Yes, you are right!

Last night, I was able to successfully install and boot ML first to a hard drive with just one ML partition and also to a hard drive with 4 partitions SL, Win7, Lion and ML. All the problems I was having with the multi-partition setup was because I had the first partition (SL) as the active one and had an old version of Chameleon (boot file) installed there. I just copied (after backing up the old one) the new boot file from your ML package to the SL partition and voila everything works like a charm.

Thank you!

I can but you do this at your own risk because if you make a mistake you will brick your board so I will make this very very clear THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Google for phoenixtool v1.91 and download it,
  • Open phoenixtool,
  • download the bios file from the Asus site that you wish to edit and open it in phoenixtool,
  • wait for it to do whatever the hell it insisits on doing,
  • select asus as the manufacturer,
  • click advanced,
  • select 'no slic' and 'allow user to modify other modules'
  • click done,
  • click 'go' and wait for the message telling you that 'you can now make manual alterations to modules in the dump file' - DO NOT CLICK OK!.
  • Open the dump folder and look for 2 19kb sized files named 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_370 and 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_440
  • (the last 3 digits may vary depending on which board and bios you are hacking around with),
  • open both files in the hex editor of your choice and search for this hex string 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 and replace it with 00 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 00.
  • Save both files back to the dump folder and then switch back to phoenixtool and click 'OK',
  • it will then repack your changes back into a a new bios file BUT check the log file - if there are any errors at all do NOT attempt to flash the resulting rom.

If you do this and it goes wrong don't cry to me - I have warned you that it can brick your board if you do it wrong. I will not accept any liability whatsoever. The bios files I have made available I have tested myself on my own boards so i am confident they work. If you succesfully modify your own bios and it works perhaps you could also share it :)

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!

That bios is not for your board do NOT flash it - or go ahead at least I will get some peace when you can no longer boot your pc lol :wallbash:

I can follow this step also for mod a p8z68-v bios ?

I can follow this step also for mod a p8z68-v bios ?

You can try - if you dont find the hex string then obviosuly leave well alone and dont try to guess what to edit. The 2 files that you need to edit should be similarly named to the ones in the instructions even though you have a different board. If in ANY doubt at all then don't do it - it really will ruin your day if you brick the motherboard.

Give this a try...

On the usb stick open the Extra folder and mount the preboot.dmg file. Open the mounted preboot disk image in finder and delete the dsdt.aml file.

Unmount the preboot.dmg and now try booting from the usb stick

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but unfortunately that wasnt it.

I have the feeling it's the ATI 5450 video card causing it as the crash happens right when the video mode is switching during boot up. Are there specific kexts that could cause this crash that are related to the video card?

Would Grapicsenabler=no disable those kexts ? I tried that and it still resets during boot

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but unfortunately that wasnt it.

I have the feeling it's the ATI 5450 video card causing it as the crash happens right when the video mode is switching during boot up. Are there specific kexts that could cause this crash that are related to the video card?

Would Grapicsenabler=no disable those kexts ? I tried that and it still resets during boot

The usb stick should automatically boot with graphicsenabler=no but its worth a try just in case i slipped up.

You could also try deleteing all of the ATI kexts from the s/l/e folder on the usb stick (back em up first). Problem is even if that does get the installer running you are going to hit problems with the installed system if it does make it that far :(

Hi there all.Andy i've got a question for you. I've managed to install 10.8 ML with my home mates AMD 6850 but with my 6950 i'm facing exactly with the things you say; white screen with a moving cursor. My mobo is Asus p8p67 Evo. I remember also you said that if the card is not P8P67 Pro version with your method putting it in the sleep mode will not work since it will not be able to wake up again.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me to manage it with my p8p67 Evo and Asus 6950 ?

Regards,

Hi there all.Andy i've got a question for you. I've managed to install 10.8 ML with my home mates AMD 6850 but with my 6950 i'm facing exactly with the things you say; white screen with a moving cursor. My mobo is Asus p8p67 Evo. I remember also you said that if the card is not P8P67 Pro version with your method putting it in the sleep mode will not work since it will not be able to wake up again.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me to manage it with my p8p67 Evo and Asus 6950 ?

Regards,

You may need to modify and flash your bios to get sleep working (also if you do then dont forget to delete nullcpupowermanagement)

I cant even boot from the USB - its just a black screen with a blinking dash...

Edit: I've tried both GUID and MBR, multiple times.

Edit 2: Used MyHack to create the USB and then installed your package on top of it - works perfectly. :)

--------------------------------

Anyhow, I bumped in to another problem. Now, I already have Win7 installed on my SSD (wich my PC automatically boots into) and two partitions on my HDD, one for Windows data and one for the ML Installation. If I press F8 on boot and choose the HDD, it wont boot. Is that because Chameleon is installed on a second partition?

So I got the install to go through, I installed the drivers package and even now it will not boot unless I use safe mode? Any ideas . I am using p8p67 pro (no bios mods) and 6950. I am also using GraphicsEnabler=no

You wont get it to work with a 6950 without working sleep and you wont get sleep to work without the bios mod.

I am assuming you are running windows as well, Does the Modified Bios effect the performance of the board at all in the windows environment? I shouldn't have to flash my card though correct. And I wanted to thank you for helping me and all the time that you have dedicated to helping people like me.