[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

I'll upload updated bioses today when back to home and try to check your dumps too. To much deadlines on job in this month

(mostly) cool and monitor preferences are bound to Alt/Opt + ScrLk :-)

Decreasing the brightness with ScrLk works, while increasing with Pause does not, any idea?

You already has been able to build a current (1.44) BIOS for the T410 with disabled whitelist for Wifi and WAN?

And finally, did you found some time to look into the logs I attached in post #209 to eventually give me a hint how to get working the sound with speakers?

Thanks a lot for your brilliant work,

Yeah. Default clover installation is little bit slower than Chameleon because of its nature. Clover creates real EFI enviroment for OSX, chameleon just leave some tables and signs that EFI was loaded successfully and then boot OSX thats why it much faster...

And good news about clover and slow resolution modes. Currently I'm able to use higher than 1024*768 boot screen resolution, in my case its 1920*1200 for external display. Didn't have time to test it with common resolutions like 1366*768/1600*900/1920*1080 (maybe some different ones too) for Lenovo screens.

Hope to release cClover config update this weekend

Installed Clover today. Everything's fine, but it's loading much longer, than Chameleon (I mean bootloader itself, not OSX). Is this OK or i did something wrong? =)

• Like 1

Brightness controls is binded to ScrLk/Pause by VoodooPS2. Its impossible to bind Fn+Home/End to do this because this combo doesn't generate any key codes and talk with bios WMI features only available from Windows, so we can't use it at all...

About speedstep and boost - see in boot log text like AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement success and Turbo Ratios 0035. First one is for speedster, second is for boost. OSX doesn't show boots ratios in monitoring software.

Thanks, sadly ScrLk/Pause doesnt work for me either, but the applications "ScreenDimmer" and "Shades" (shades only sometimes). They dont look like they adjust the brightness the same way though.

As far as the boot log text, i didnt know where to look. But i went into the system log queries and found the following (relevant) entries:

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1169

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 00:59:42 Aug 25 2012) initialization complete

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

Also maybe something of note, i have sound assertion crapping all over the log file, like this:

11/29/12 12:08:08.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 3095

Yeah. Default clover installation is little bit slower than Chameleon because of its nature. Clover creates real EFI enviroment for OSX, chameleon just leave some tables and signs that EFI was loaded successfully and then boot OSX thats why it much faster...

Can't say "little bit", but much slower =) I have UEFI motherboard at home, so don't you know if it faster on UEFI MoBos?

And good news about clover and slow resolution modes. Currently I'm able to use higher than 1024*768 boot screen resolution, in my case its 1920*1200 for external display. Didn't have time to test it with common resolutions like 1366*768/1600*900/1920*1080 (maybe some different ones too) for Lenovo screens.

Hope to release cClover config update this weekend

OK, we're waiting =) Thanx

Speedstep and boots works in your case

About brightness... easiest way to check it go to system preferences - displays and see if brightness slider exist. If not - keys will not control it.

Screen brightness depends on two things in Lenovos

PNLF device in dsdt

and strings in PCI0-PEG-VID devices in section DSM

"AAPL,backlight-control",
						    Buffer (0x04)
						    {
							    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						    },
						    "@0,backlight-control",
						    Buffer (0x04)
						    {
							    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						    },

Thanks, sadly ScrLk/Pause doesnt work for me either, but the applications "ScreenDimmer" and "Shades" (shades only sometimes). They dont look like they adjust the brightness the same way though.

As far as the boot log text, i didnt know where to look. But i went into the system log queries and found the following (relevant) entries:

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1169

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 00:59:42 Aug 25 2012) initialization complete

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

11/28/12 11:36:05.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

Also maybe something of note, i have sound assertion crapping all over the log file, like this:

11/29/12 12:08:08.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 3095

On UEFI motherboards its much faster cause it doesn't use some emulation layer stuff to make some dummy EFI for OSX

And also there is silent boot option available for clover when it boot osx without entering GUI

Can't say "little bit", but much slower =) I have UEFI motherboard at home, so don't you know if it faster on UEFI MoBos?

OK, we're waiting =) Thanx

On UEFI motherboards its much faster cause it doesn't use some emulation layer stuff to make some dummy EFI for OSX

And also there is silent boot option available for clover when it boot osx without entering GUI

heh, i'll try to install it =)

It will be tricky, i think, not to ruin everything =)

Thanks,

I see the following sections in the DSDT i am using. Are these entries correct for my W510 with nvidia 880m (1GB)?

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x06)

{

"AAPL,backlight-control",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"@0,backlight-control",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"@0,pwm-info",

Buffer (0x14)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x01, 0x14, 0x00, 0x64, 0xA8, 0x61, 0x00, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x1C, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x64, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Yes, this should be enough for brightness. And you got slider in display prefs?

Could you post your ioregestry explorer dump here?

Thanks,

I see the following sections in the DSDT i am using. Are these entries correct for my W510 with nvidia 880m (1GB)?

Yes, this should be enough for brightness. And you got slider in display prefs?

No unfortunately i have never seen the slider in display prefs.

I am using clover boot loader and I have that DSDT.aml in /EFI/ACPI/PATCHED/ as well as /Extra

Is there anyway i can verify that is the DSDT.aml that is being used? When i tried using different ones, i just renamed them to something like DSDT1.aml and iput them in the /EFI/ACPI/PATCHED folder. Then in the boot options of clover, i changed the name of the DSDT.aml, it was only for that boot as the name setting wouldnt persist through reboot. It always affected boot = crashed, or didnt work, so it seemed like my setting change was being used.

That seemed the best way to try different dsdt files without hosing the boot.

That said, assuming that is the DSDT being used, i am unsure why i dont see the slider.

No slider -> wrong dsdt used in boot loader. You need proper config for clover to get GPU working well with brightness settings

No unfortunately i have never seen the slider in display prefs.

I am using clover boot loader and I have that DSDT.aml in /EFI/ACPI/PATCHED/ as well as /Extra

Is there anyway i can verify that is the DSDT.aml that is being used? When i tried using different ones, i just renamed them to something like DSDT1.aml and iput them in the /EFI/ACPI/PATCHED folder. Then in the boot options of clover, i changed the name of the DSDT.aml, it was only for that boot as the name setting wouldnt persist through reboot. It always affected boot = crashed, or didnt work, so it seemed like my setting change was being used.

That seemed the best way to try different dsdt files without hosing the boot.

That said, assuming that is the DSDT being used, i am unsure why i dont see the slider.

Test this AppleHDA, changed some nodes configs in it. Possible it should help. If not I can try to change one more thing

And finally, did you found some time to look into the logs I attached in post #209 to eventually give me a hint how to get working the sound with speakers?

MiniDock Series 3 audio outputs...

Dealing with t410 had I possible figure out what two additional audio ports listed in linux dump

post-120553-0-25891900-1354203631_thumb.png

This two ports is located on Lenovo mini Dock 3 or soooo... I think its possible to get it working well with auto detection disabled for output but cant test it without proper hardware

Clover boot resolution patch

works fine with 1920*1080, i'll test 1600*900 and 1366*768 tomorrow

post-120553-0-94845300-1354211018_thumb.jpeg

post-120553-0-89351900-1354211024_thumb.jpeg

T410-autodetect-fix-AppleHDA.kext.zip

As it turned out, my MB cannot boot from EFI partition of GPT-formatted drives. Only from EFI partition of MBR or hybrid. Maybe it fixed on new "BIOS" versions, but i don't want to update because of hackintosh boot problems (as people say on this forum).

So, i stay on Chimera =)

Hi joshhh,

thanks a lot for the answer.

Test this AppleHDA, changed some nodes configs in it. Possible it should help. If not I can try to change one more thing

Unfortunately it doesn't work, with this AppleHDA I don't get any audio at all (volume is grayed out).

I figured out, that the "AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA" are quite different, the mostly working version is "1636848 12 Jul 23:21" while the not working version you attached says "830120 20 Aug 02:11".

The version.plist seems to be the same:

BuildVersion: 7

CFBundleVersion: 2.3.1f2

SourceVersion: 231004002000000

Any Idea? And is there s.th. I can modify by my self to get it working?

ohh its Lion version=) check it tomorrow with same changes as for ML ands attach it

Hi joshhh,

thanks a lot for the answer.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, with this AppleHDA I don't get any audio at all (volume is grayed out).

I figured out, that the "AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA" are quite different, the mostly working version is "1636848 12 Jul 23:21" while the not working version you attached says "830120 20 Aug 02:11".

The version.plist seems to be the same:

BuildVersion: 7

CFBundleVersion: 2.3.1f2

SourceVersion: 231004002000000

Any Idea? And is there s.th. I can modify by my self to get it working?

Before asking it thread. Please fill data about your hardware and software. Without it I can't help

Hi joshhh,

thank you very much for your patience.

ohh its Lion version=) check it tomorrow with same changes as for ML ands attach it
well, I have 10.7.5 installed I think this is Lion?

And the AppleHDA that is working with headphones comes from the Lion-directory in your "T410-files" available in the first post.

A quick look in the zip-files tells me that I'm using the correct version and that you probably attached the ML version (not too bad, because if a ML USB-Install-stick will be available, I will buy it and perhaps will upgrade to 10.8):

$ ll OSX\ 10.6\ Snow\ Leopard/System-Library-Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/

2074024 3 Sep 20:37 AppleHDA

$ ll OSX\ 10.7\ Lion/System-Library-Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/

1636848 12 Jul 23:21 AppleHDA

$ ll OSX\ 10.8\ Mountain\ Lion/System-Library-Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/

830120 25 Aug 00:28 AppleHDA

PS: Sorry for the inconvenience, I thought that you still had "in memory" about which system I was speaking. In future I just will add:

"I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44."

Hi all,

I'm probably wrong but is the battery indicator meant to be working? (I asked before sorry)

Everything else seems ok.

(I know built-in wifi doesn't)

Also I am thinking of using eSata cable for additional drive, will I have issues (will need to buy enclosure) ?

Thanks!

(T510 on 10.8.2 LM)

I'm probably wrong but is the battery indicator meant to be working? (I asked before sorry) Everything else seems ok.

Also I am thinking of using eSata cable for additional drive, will I have issues (will need to buy enclosure) ?

in the very first post it says that both should work OOB. And for my T410 with 10.7.5 I can confirm that.

On the other hand, sound also should work, but it does not work for me. So if you do not have the exact same machine with same BIOS and same OS, your results may differ, but anyway I would recheck the installation again.

And is there s.th. I can modify by my self to get it working?
no, it seems that I can't :-(

I was looking in the differences of the two patched AppleHDA's for 10.8, I found out that the MacOS/AppleHDA-binaries are different and that Joshhh changed two "NodeIDs" in the compressed Resources/Platforms.xml.

But I have no clue what was patched in the MacOS/AppleHDA and in addition there is no Resources/Platforms.xml.zlib in the 10.7 kext that could be changed.

I even was not able to determine, from where Joshhh got the information about the pin-layout for input-/output channels.

So I just have to wait (or always attach headphones/speakers) : -)

Battery indication works great with VoodooBattery and eSata works great too but eSata port in OSX doesn't work well with hot-plug. If OSX booted and you connect esata drive it gets detected, but if you unmount in and change physical disk in esata dock OSX won't show it until reboot

Hi all,

I'm probably wrong but is the battery indicator meant to be working? (I asked before sorry)

Everything else seems ok.

(I know built-in wifi doesn't)

Thanks!

(T510 on 10.8.2 LM)

Here is "fixed" AppleHDA for Lion. If it won't help I can try to 1) unpair speakers-headphones in sound config - easy fix 2) try to change something else in config - needs deeper analysis

T410-Lion-fix-AppleHDA.kext.zip

no, it seems that I can't :-(

I was looking in the differences of the two patched AppleHDA's for 10.8, I found out that the MacOS/AppleHDA-binaries are different and that Joshhh changed two "NodeIDs" in the compressed Resources/Platforms.xml.

But I have no clue what was patched in the MacOS/AppleHDA and in addition there is no Resources/Platforms.xml.zlib in the 10.7 kext that could be changed.

I even was not able to determine, from where Joshhh got the information about the pin-layout for input-/output channels.

So I just have to wait (or always attach headphones/speakers) : -)

• Like 1

Hi joshhh,

Here is "fixed" AppleHDA for Lion.
thank you very much for this.

If it won't help I can try to 1) unpair speakers-headphones in sound config - easy fix 2) try to change something else in config - needs deeper analysis
I've seen that you added a "Platforms.xml" to the resources-directory, unfortunately it does not change anything either.

What do you mean with "unpair speakers-headphones in sound config" and how is it done?

If I go to the Audio-Preferences, I see on the "Output"-tab, that I have "Name: Internal Speakers, Typ: Integriert" (funny it's mixed German and English language), if I plug in my headphones, it changes to "Name: Headphones, Typ: Integriert" and the audio is played.

On the "Input"-tab I have "Line In" (not tested) and "Internal microphone" which is working if I select it.

On my old T60 with SL I had running the VoodooHDA, but I had several problems with it, like KPs and non-working audio after resume, so I do not want to try this again.

Does it make any difference that I am using the latest 1.44 BIOS on my T410, would it make sense to downgrade to your patched 1.43-version?

Is there a way to get audio working without patching the AppleHDA and just changing the DSDT for the laptop?

PS: "I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44."

First off, thanks for all the hard work Joshhh. ML works well on my T510.

Could anyone confirm that HDMI functions correctly? Because I can get the video output works but not for audio output.

In the system->sound->output panel, there is only internal speakers found.

Thanks

Unpair will make two devices in outputs headphones and speakers

T410-Lion-fix-2-AppleHDA.kext.zip

DP->HDMI for video works well but for audio I got some problems with freeze on system boot and there is no TV listed in output options. Anyway I dint have much time to test all vars so possible it may work for audio output

First off, thanks for all the hard work Joshhh. ML works well on my T510.

Could anyone confirm that HDMI functions correctly? Because I can get the video output works but not for audio output.

In the system->sound->output panel, there is only internal speakers found.

Thanks

Unpair will make two devices in outputs headphones and speakers
still no luck :-(

Headphones and Internal Speakers now are seperated in the Audio-prefs, if I select "Headphones" I get sound through them, if I select "Internal Speakers" I get nothing anymore.

What about others on their T410, do they get audio through the internal speakers?

PS: "I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44."