I' m new to Mac and Hackintosh scene but I tried anyways and succeeded in installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Thanks to mackyreddy, pcwiz, doix, and others.
My System Info:
Dell XPS L702X
Processor: Intel i7-2630QM
GPU: nVidia GT550M
Wifi: Intel 6230
BIOS: A19 (DELL)
HD: 2x500GB (dual boot with Windows 7)
- You need to have a working ML install. Either on a Mac or VM. I used OracleVM to get a virtual host up.
- I then download ML 10.8.2 from the App Store
I followed these instructions for downloading/creating a bootable install USB for Mountain Lion:
I Paraphrased the relevant information form this tread:
**Denotes items I added/modified
-The Chameleon boot loader, the latest version of which can always be found here (You want "The Latest Trunk PKG ~ Standard and Official Revision"):
Mac Drive 9 (Google it)
-It will be used to copy files from USB to ML HDD after installation.
1. FakeSMC – absolutely essential – tricks OS X into thinking it’s a real Mac (Use the "Snow" one)
2. NullCPUPowerManagement – generally required initially to prevent kernel panics.
**3. Mountain Lion MBR Patch
Creating USB Installer
A. Preparing the USB
1. In your working OS X install open Disk Utility
2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar
3. Click the “Partition” tab
4. Under “Partition Layout” click “1 Partition”
5. Click Options -> select “Master Boot Record”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”
6. Click Apply
B. Creating the OS X installer on the USB drive
1. Show hidden files in finder by opening Terminal (in utilities) and typing (copy / pasting) the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
2. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG. If using a copy downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"
3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.
5. You’ll now have 2 “Mac OS X Base System”s present in Finder, right click them and “get info” to determine which is your USB drive (hint: look at the size).
6. Navigate to the one which is your USB drive, open it and go to /System/Installation. Delete the “Packages” link then create a folder called “Packages”.
7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while.
8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive.
C. Patching the installer for a PC
1. Remember the two kexts we downloaded above? Copy "FakeSMC" and "NullCPUPowerManagment" to /System/Library/Extensions on your USB stick.
1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall.mpkg" to /System/Installation/Package/
1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall" to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/
2. Run the chameleon installation package and ensure to choose your USB drive as the destination.
3. Run Doix's Installer and ONLY install the keyboard trackpad kext's to the USB drive. (Sometimes this will not work, you could use ###### if this does not work)
4. Copy the Extra and A19 DSDT from mackyreddy’s first post to root of your USB drive.
5. Open org.chameleon.boot.plist file and add the following:
6. Now boot from USB and Install ML.
1.Boot to USB drive, install Mountain Lion to the partition you want. I created a Master Boot Record partition using Disk Utility.
2. After installation is complete:
2A. Boot back into your Windows installation and now we need to copy the DSDT, Extra folder
2B. Copy the DSDT, Extra folder from the USB root to the ML Installation drive root.
2C. Copy the following kexts: FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleAPCIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller from USB /System/Library/Extensions to the ML install /System/Library/Extensions.
3. Now we also need to delete some of the kexts from the ML install:
3A. Now in this step we will delete all unnecessary and NV kexts from System/Library/Extensions ( Reason: NV Graphics does not work in ML yet. )
3B. Now Delete Accusys6xxxx.kext and all the kext that start with NV.
3C. Delete kernelcache present in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup
3. Boot from USB and this time select your ML install
4. I have used -v to boot so that I can see if there’s something wrong.
You should now have a working ML install. There are still kexts that are not required or need as my battery, sound is not working. I’m waiting on mackyreddy to post the new kexts.