macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Where is that thread?? And I have another question, I changed the stock RAM modules, and my new modules can work up to 1600 MHz, is it safe to change the frequency in the bios with this custom bios version?

I'm wating for the new tutorial too. :wink2:

I know for sure that it works, at leat the 1600 Mhz option! :) not sure about the other one (1866Mhz?)

This is getting wierd... Installed the custom bios from TimeWalker75a, set UEFI boot on enabled (disabled legacy)... Installed WIndows 8 on a GPT - NFTS disk, installed chipset and video, wifi etc... Then tried to install Dell Quickset (3 different, windows 8 compatible versions) and the whole laptop freezes during installation! Also when I press Fn + F2 (for wireless).. the laptop freezes! I tried safe boot, but the the windows installer is not loaded, so I can't install the quickset then... I have no idea where it comes from, please help (although I know it is offtopic, by first installing windows 8 on GPT I hope to get a better hackintosh/windows dual boot)

Well i am actually waiting for iATKOS ML release, But i don't know why are they taking so long to release it.

Tutorial will not differ in a huge way with the existing one, just few things which are changed such as no longer need to delete Apple Intel SNB Framebuffer in ML.

Preparing Bootable USB from OS X 10.8.2 Mac App store dmg differs when compared to iATKOS L2 Bootable USB preparation..

Releasing new kexts pack with more or less same kexts.

I am also bit confused whether to wait for iATKOS ML or shall i release an OS X 10.8.2 Bootable USB for installing OS X 10.8.2 as well as an OS X 10.8.2 Pre installed Image just like the one before.

I' m new to Mac and Hackintosh scene but I tried anyways and succeeded in installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Thanks to mackyreddy, pcwiz, doix, and others.

My System Info:

Dell XPS L702X

Processor: Intel i7-2630QM

RAM: 8GB

GPU: nVidia GT550M

Wifi: Intel 6230

BIOS: A19 (DELL)

HD: 2x500GB (dual boot with Windows 7)

First Steps:

1. You need to have a working ML install. Either on a Mac or VM. I used OracleVM to get a virtual host up.

2. I then download ML 10.8.2 from the App Store

I followed these instructions for downloading/creating a bootable install USB for Mountain Lion:

I Paraphrased the relevant information form this tread:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

**Denotes items I added/modified

Software

-The Chameleon boot loader, the latest version of which can always be found here (You want "The Latest Trunk PKG ~ Standard and Official Revision"):

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

**DoiX's Lx02XLion_V1.4

http://www.insanelym...2

Mac Drive 9 (Google it)

-It will be used to copy files from USB to ML HDD after installation.

Kexts

1. FakeSMC – absolutely essential – tricks OS X into thinking it’s a real Mac (Use the "Snow" one)

http://www.osx86.net...?do=file&id=161

2. NullCPUPowerManagement – generally required initially to prevent kernel panics.

http://www.osx86.net...p?do=file&id=16

**3. Mountain Lion MBR Patch

http://www.osx86.net..._mbr_patch.html

Creating USB Installer

A. Preparing the USB

1. In your working OS X install open Disk Utility

2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar

3. Click the “Partition” tab

4. Under “Partition Layout” click “1 Partition”

5. Click Options -> select “Master Boot Record”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”

6. Click Apply

B. Creating the OS X installer on the USB drive

1. Show hidden files in finder by opening Terminal (in utilities) and typing (copy / pasting) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then

killall Finder

2. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG. If using a copy downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"

3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.

5. You’ll now have 2 “Mac OS X Base System”s present in Finder, right click them and “get info” to determine which is your USB drive (hint: look at the size).

6. Navigate to the one which is your USB drive, open it and go to /System/Installation. Delete the “Packages” link then create a folder called “Packages”.

7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while.

8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive.

C. Patching the installer for a PC

1. Remember the two kexts we downloaded above? Copy "FakeSMC" and "NullCPUPowerManagment" to /System/Library/Extensions on your USB stick.

1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall.mpkg" to /System/Installation/Package/

1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall" to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

2. Run the chameleon installation package and ensure to choose your USB drive as the destination.

3. Run Doix's Installer and ONLY install the keyboard trackpad kext's to the USB drive. (Sometimes this will not work, you could use ###### if this does not work)

4. Copy the Extra and A19 DSDT from mackyreddy’s first post to root of your USB drive.

5. Open org.chameleon.boot.plist file and add the following:

<key>busratio</key>

<string>20</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

6. Now boot from USB and Install ML.

Installing OS

1.Boot to USB drive, install Mountain Lion to the partition you want. I created a Master Boot Record partition using Disk Utility.

2. After installation is complete:

2A. Boot back into your Windows installation and now we need to copy the DSDT, Extra folder

2B. Copy the DSDT, Extra folder from the USB root to the ML Installation drive root.

2C. Copy the following kexts: FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleAPCIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller from USB /System/Library/Extensions to the ML install /System/Library/Extensions.

3. Now we also need to delete some of the kexts from the ML install:

3A. Now in this step we will delete all unnecessary and NV kexts from System/Library/Extensions ( Reason: NV Graphics does not work in ML yet. )

3B. Now Delete Accusys6xxxx.kext and all the kext that start with NV.

3C. Delete kernelcache present in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

3. Boot from USB and this time select your ML install

4. I have used -v to boot so that I can see if there’s something wrong.

You should now have a working ML install. There are still kexts that are not required or need as my battery, sound is not working. I’m waiting on mackyreddy to post the new kexts.

• Like 2

I' m new to Mac and Hackintosh scene but I tried anyways and succeeded in installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Thanks to mackyreddy, pcwiz, doix, and others.

My System Info:

Dell XPS L702X

Processor: Intel i7-2630QM

RAM: 8GB

GPU: nVidia GT550M

Wifi: Intel 6230

BIOS: A19 (DELL)

HD: 2x500GB (dual boot with Windows 7)

First Steps:

1. You need to have a working ML install. Either on a Mac or VM. I used OracleVM to get a virtual host up.

2. I then download ML 10.8.2 from the App Store

I followed these instructions for downloading/creating a bootable install USB for Mountain Lion:

I Paraphrased the relevant information form this tread:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

**Denotes items I added/modified

Software

-The Chameleon boot loader, the latest version of which can always be found here (You want "The Latest Trunk PKG ~ Standard and Official Revision"):

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

**DoiX's Lx02XLion_V1.4

http://www.insanelym...2

Mac Drive 9 (Google it)

-It will be used to copy files from USB to ML HDD after installation.

Kexts

1. FakeSMC – absolutely essential – tricks OS X into thinking it’s a real Mac (Use the "Snow" one)

http://www.osx86.net...?do=file&id=161

2. NullCPUPowerManagement – generally required initially to prevent kernel panics.

http://www.osx86.net...p?do=file&id=16

**3. Mountain Lion MBR Patch

http://www.osx86.net..._mbr_patch.html

Creating USB Installer

A. Preparing the USB

1. In your working OS X install open Disk Utility

2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar

3. Click the “Partition” tab

4. Under “Partition Layout” click “1 Partition”

5. Click Options -> select “Master Boot Record”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”

6. Click Apply

B. Creating the OS X installer on the USB drive

1. Show hidden files in finder by opening Terminal (in utilities) and typing (copy / pasting) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then

killall Finder

2. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG. If using a copy downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"

3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.

5. You’ll now have 2 “Mac OS X Base System”s present in Finder, right click them and “get info” to determine which is your USB drive (hint: look at the size).

6. Navigate to the one which is your USB drive, open it and go to /System/Installation. Delete the “Packages” link then create a folder called “Packages”.

7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while.

8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive.

C. Patching the installer for a PC

1. Remember the two kexts we downloaded above? Copy "FakeSMC" and "NullCPUPowerManagment" to /System/Library/Extensions on your USB stick.

1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall.mpkg" to /System/Installation/Package/

1.A. Install MBR Patch- Copy "OSInstall" to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

2. Run the chameleon installation package and ensure to choose your USB drive as the destination.

3. Run Doix's Installer and ONLY install the keyboard trackpad kext's to the USB drive. (Sometimes this will not work, you could use ###### if this does not work)

4. Copy the Extra and A19 DSDT from mackyreddy’s first post to root of your USB drive.

5. Open org.chameleon.boot.plist file and add the following:

<key>busratio</key>

<string>20</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

6. Now boot from USB and Install ML.

Installing OS

1.Boot to USB drive, install Mountain Lion to the partition you want. I created a Master Boot Record partition using Disk Utility.

2. After installation is complete:

2A. Boot back into your Windows installation and now we need to copy the DSDT, Extra folder

2B. Copy the DSDT, Extra folder from the USB root to the ML Installation drive root.

2C. Copy the following kexts: FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleAPCIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller from USB /System/Library/Extensions to the ML install /System/Library/Extensions.

3. Now we also need to delete some of the kexts from the ML install:

3A. Now in this step we will delete all unnecessary and NV kexts from System/Library/Extensions ( Reason: NV Graphics does not work in ML yet. )

3B. Now Delete Accusys6xxxx.kext and all the kext that start with NV.

3C. Delete kernelcache present in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

3. Boot from USB and this time select your ML install

4. I have used -v to boot so that I can see if there’s something wrong.

You should now have a working ML install. There are still kexts that are not required or need as my battery, sound is not working. I’m waiting on mackyreddy to post the new kexts.

If u have installed Captain sarkar & Timewalker75a 's Custom A.19 Bios, then we no longer need NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, all we need is Fakesmc, ApplePS2controller patched kext for Synaptics, Patched AppleHDA for ALC 665, Realtek81xx kext for Realt8ek Giagbit ethernet, pxhcd for usb 3.0. I will add a new kext pack and i am also uploading a pre installed 10.8.2 image.

• Like 2

If u have installed Captain sarkar & Timewalker75a 's Custom A.19 Bios, then we no longer need NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, all we need is Fakesmc, ApplePS2controller patched kext for Synaptics, Patched AppleHDA for ALC 665, Realtek81xx kext for Realt8ek Giagbit ethernet, pxhcd for usb 3.0. I will add a new kext pack and i am also uploading a pre installed 10.8.2 image.

Thats great news :)

@ raviji

As u have requested I will add a more precise & smaller tutorial for creating a 10.8.2 Bootable USB from mac app store image and i will also add a Tutorial for creating a bootable iATKOS ML USB when it gets released.

• Like 1

Added some of My work with regards to Windows 7 & 8 to the first post.

@ Webcivillian

Just get any cheap usb wireless mini adapter from ebay, most of them are based on realtek chip, realtek provides kexts for those chips on their website.

@ mackyreddy

Some file are not available or missing in your 10.8.2 upload. (z3, z5, z14).

For some reason USB 3 stopped working. Also, I installed the modded BIOS but sleep does not work. I'm sure I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't tried this yet since I am still downloading the files. I am downloading the entire folder at once so for me it's going all at once.

The sleep was working on 10.7.4, on custom bios just so you know. Once I install this I will post results thanks!

uploading has just finished, check now

@webcivillian

regarding USB 3.0, have u installed PXHCD.kext ? try to install from desktop using kextutility.app, My usb 3.0 port is working fine, I dont think there is any problem with Custom A.19 bios. And with regards to Sleep, Firstly Do u have i7 2630 QM or 2670 QM ? have u used the SSDT's which i provided in the archive A.19 DSDT & SSDT's.zip ? The SSDT's which i provided are for i7 2630 QM, i forgot to add i72670 QM, i will add them now or u can find them Doix 1.4 universal installer.

released new XPS 17 10.8.2 Kexts pack.

By the way guys just found that Safari is broken on the Micro OS X 10.8.2 Pre installed image, Shall i remove the download links and upload a new version ? Or shall i release a patch where u can copy & paste the safari app into applications folder.

• Like 1

It's ST Accelerometer driver that is causing the hangs.

For Safe Mode to be accessible your computer has to fail at booting 3 times in a row. Then you are prompted to repair it, there-s no F8 hotkey in Windows 8's boot manager.

Strange... Enter key is not working when replying to your post 8-) But I know how to get into safe mode ;) That is not the problem. The problem is to install the quickset in safe mode... But I will uninstall the Accelerometer and report back! UPDATE: After uninstalling the ST Accelerometer driver and rebooting, the laptop still freezes when trying to install Dell Quickset... Also when pressing FN+F2, the laptop still freezes :(
<br>

I'am wondering if you could write a guide for the people that are booting from the UEFI instead of the old lagacy BIOS? That should be different, right? I would like to have both mac os x and windows 8 on the same SSD :)

released new XPS 17 10.8.2 Kexts pack.

By the way guys just found that Safari is broken on the Micro OS X 10.8.2 Pre installed image, Shall i remove the download links and upload a new version ? Or shall i release a patch where u can copy & paste the safari app into applications folder.

A patch would be appreciated mackyreddy . took some time to download them all :)

uploading has just finished, check now

@webcivillian

regarding USB 3.0, have u installed PXHCD.kext ? try to install from desktop using kextutility.app, My usb 3.0 port is working fine, I dont think there is any problem with Custom A.19 bios. And with regards to Sleep, Firstly Do u have i7 2630 QM or 2670 QM ? have u used the SSDT's which i provided in the archive A.19 DSDT & SSDT's.zip ? The SSDT's which i provided are for i7 2630 QM, i forgot to add i72670 QM, i will add them now or u can find them Doix 1.4 universal installer.

@ mackyreddy

Everything works fine now. I had installed an USB3 kext which was the culprit. The only issue currently seems to be is Youtube flash 1080p/720p playback. It shows some artifacts on screen. Quicktime works fine btw.

• Like 1

NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller

1) firmwares update & Drivers for Windows Xp/Vista/7/8 32/64bits

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

2) LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/236209-lacie-usb-30-drivers-are-here-for-os-x/

3) LaCie Mac Driver USB 3.0 (PXHCD kext of 1.0.11 version)

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10239

• Like 1