{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Here is my config.

It's still not SPEEDSTEP yet.

I delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, so I boot Mac OK. I think I was to updated bios(modified) OK

If anybody don't annoy. Can I ask a list of kext form S/L/E of you. And org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH

Screenshot. HPET, LPC, LPCB, Chameleon

post-1150506-0-71972900-1374290251_thumb.pngpost-1150506-0-81854400-1374290257_thumb.pngpost-1150506-0-54612900-1374290261_thumb.png

DSDT, SSDT, SMBios

DSDT.SSDT.SMBios.zip

post-1150506-0-20398900-1374290266_thumb.png

Do you all have a brightness issue? I mean after waking from sleep the screen is much brighter (which is good), can't we tweak it to be that bright when turning on the laptop?

even a tweak that would command it to sleep and wake at startup would do....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/page-53?do=findComment&comment=1868690

I used this guide to install Mountain Lion 10.8 on my Dell 5110. Works like a charm, but the touchpad is the only thing that bothers me. It's working, but whenever I make any kind of faster movement on it, it just lags. The sensitivity is also somewhat too high. Are there any good kexts available for the Alps touchpad for this laptop I could download and use?

I used this guide to install Mountain Lion 10.8 on my Dell 5110. Works like a charm, but the touchpad is the only thing that bothers me. It's working, but whenever I make any kind of faster movement on it, it just lags. The sensitivity is also somewhat too high. Are there any good kexts available for the Alps touchpad for this laptop I could download and use?

I failed to find a krxt that made the touchpad function like a macbooks without it being over sensitive.

In the end I just set it up to work as a normal trackpad, left right click, no gestures.

I failed to find a krxt that made the touchpad function like a macbooks without it being over sensitive.

In the end I just set it up to work as a normal trackpad, left right click, no gestures.

Could you please post a link to the kext you have used?

DP4

10.9 dp1

you will follow  10.8 guide with minor modifications 

1-restore 10.9 as on video till copy the 5 files of mach_kernel , boot.efi etc  

skip this step and replace this step by pasting this kernel on usb flash memory

attachicon.gifmach_kernel.zip

here is the mbr patch for 10.9

2- use latest chameleon from here

3- during  setuping may  the installer GUI is somehow slow

4-about atheros wifi

replace your dsdt with this

for people having nvidia card use this dsdt attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

for people having only intel card use this dsdt attachicon.gifNo nvidia.zip

this is only the changes the rest of setuping is like 10.8

--------------------

dp2

just update from app store

and here updated kexts and compiled for 10.9

appleacpibatterymanager replaced by applesmartbatterymanager

pchxd replaced by GenericUSBXHCI

attachicon.gif10.9 dp2.zip

---------------------

dp3

patched kexts for dp3

attachicon.gif10.9 dp3.zip

--------------------

DP4

Patched Kext

fixed applehda external mic and  volume change  by Florin9doi

updated dsdt for new applehda

attachicon.gif10.9 DP4.zip

• Like 3

@Florin9doi

Would it be possible to unlock advanced features of our BIOS?

I found those instructions on how to do it but its beyond me. 

If possible and if you have time, could you please do it. Thanks in advance.

HOWTO Unlock Hidden Menus
1) Dump your AdvancedSetup.efi module (IDA, objdump etc) and parse it through the IFR specification provided by UEFI
2) UEFI IFR spec says: EFI_IFR_SUPPRESS_IF_OP: UINT64 0000000000000000
3) In hex, this translates to: 0A 82 45 8A (00) 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 45 0A 
3) Change opcode to UNIT64: 0000000000000001 - replace the (00) above with (01). In my case there were two identical hex strings in my file, I just had to patch the second hex string.
4) Save module, repack with PhoenixTool, and voila!

@Florin9doi

Would it be possible to unlock advanced features of our BIOS?

I found those instructions on how to do it but its beyond me. 

If possible and if you have time, could you please do it. Thanks in advance.

HOWTO Unlock Hidden Menus

1) Dump your AdvancedSetup.efi module (IDA, objdump etc) and parse it through the IFR specification provided by UEFI

2) UEFI IFR spec says: EFI_IFR_SUPPRESS_IF_OP: UINT64 0000000000000000

3) In hex, this translates to: 0A 82 45 8A (00) 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 45 0A 

3) Change opcode to UNIT64: 0000000000000001 - replace the (00) above with (01). In my case there were two identical hex strings in my file, I just had to patch the second hex string.

4) Save module, repack with PhoenixTool, and voila!

I'm guessing you took that info from here>>

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-UEFI-Dell-XPS-15z-L511z-modded-BIOS-and-HOWTO

You missing vital info from the thread in regards to extracting the bios, and some reading needs doing to confirm it works with this model first.. lots of pages to read!

Ive done some bios slic modding in the past, but nothing major, most of the tools available make it pretty simple to be honest, but without dual bios, there is always a risk.

I'd be happy to take a look further but dont have the time to read all athat thread, if you can find more info regarding the n5110 post it up, or create a new thread for it and pm or post the link here, I'm sure others would be interested in looking too.

When i open itunes in dp4, after short time it crash unexpectedly.

some info:

Crashed Thread:  1  Dispatch queue: FigFPSharedContextFPInitializationQueue

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

anybody have this problem?

When i open itunes in dp4, after short time it crash unexpectedly.
some info:
Crashed Thread:  1  Dispatch queue: FigFPSharedContextFPInitializationQueue
Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
 anybody have this problem?

Me too the same issue !

Even the battery manger icon in the toolbar disappear again i tried to reinstall "AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext" but didn't solve it this time :(

Re: Advanced setup - it has been looked and looked upon and there are no such patterns in the BIOS of your Inspiron as it's an AMI version of UEFI implementation IRRC. Florin has been reading every single page of the aforementioned thread so he's pretty on-par with what we were doing. Still there is no way to unlock your BIOS to enable UEFI.

• Like 1

Re: Advanced setup - it has been looked and looked upon and there are no such patterns in the BIOS of your Inspiron as it's an AMI version of UEFI implementation IRRC. Florin has been reading every single page of the aforementioned thread so he's pretty on-par with what we were doing. Still there is no way to unlock your BIOS to enable UEFI.

You've beat me to it. I just discovered that too. I though we had a phoenix BIOS, my bad. 

I believe Clover still makes use of our Aptio UEFI even when booted via MBR.

I'm having a huge Graphics Corruption issue when using clover though. I think it has something to do with the nVidia card. Was this discussed/solved before?

Edit:  

I've seen someone who flashed the n5110 BIOS on a new Ivy Bridge n5520 machine and it worked!! (I'm trying to find that person again).

I wonder if flashing the A14 BIOS from the 5520 to our system would work? Any ideas?

1. I believe Clover still makes use of our Aptio UEFI even when booted via MBR.

2. I'm having a huge Graphics Corruption issue when using clover though. I think it has something to do with the nVidia card. Was this discussed/solved before?

3. I wonder if flashing the A14 BIOS from the 5520 to our system would work? Any ideas?

1. It's not, it uses modified EDK2/DUET to emulate UEFI environment

2. I have no idea if this has a relation to clover. Since newer versions (past 1928) have different graphics injectors for every manufacturer (InjectNvidia, InjectIntel, InjectATI) nVidia shouldn't be causing any problems.

3. Personally I would have never attempted such a thing, the rest is up to you. But if the EC chip and flash descriptor have at least a slightly different firmware then you are screwed for good.

P.S. N5520 has InsydeH2O BIOS so this definitely is a hoax.. 

• Like 1

1. It's not, it uses modified EDK2/DUET to emulate UEFI environment

2. I have no idea if this has a relation to clover. Since newer versions (past 1928) have different graphics injectors for every manufacturer (InjectNvidia, InjectIntel, InjectATI) nVidia shouldn't be causing any problems.

3. Personally I would have never attempted such a thing, the rest is up to you. But if the EC chip and flash descriptor have at least a slightly different firmware then you are screwed for good.

P.S. N5520 has InsydeH2O BIOS so this definitely is a hoax.. 

1- Strange because it takes a second to load Clover on my inspiron. DUET (CloverEFI) usually takes over 10 seconds to start on my non-UEFI machines. 

2- I think Khairy had this problem before. I wonder if he found a fix. 

3- You're probably right as I can't find that person or the guide he wrote.

EDIT:

I finally did it. Booted to a fully usable (yet slightly unstable) system using Clover. And its faster than Chameleon. 

I probably need to tweak some Clover settings to make things more stable.

Now I have fully switched to Clover  :D

• Like 1