Good to hear :)
Thanks Derty ^_^

fastfwd

fastfwd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Simply eliminate the /Extra/Extensions directory by moving all of your kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions directory and add UseKernelCache=Yes to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Also, Chameleon v2.1svn r1618 provides full iCloud/FaceTime support. Here is the boot file:

Hi there

I've been reading about the need to place e/e into /S/L/E and use the cache yes option but I haven't and 10.7.2 is working. My chameleon plist is almost the same as in snow leo, except for the npci line. So is the option still available for keeping e/e?

Thanks

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Music, hackintosh, mac

Hi there

I've been reading about the need to place e/e into /S/L/E and use the cache yes option but I haven't and 10.7.2 is working. My chameleon plist is almost the same as in snow leo, except for the npci line. So is the option still available for keeping e/e?

Thanks

ME TOO ! AND 10.7.2. STILL WORKING No problem at all !! So, The same question "Is the option still available for keeping E/E or not? :)

THANKS !

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• FAQ Team
  • 3,008 posts
My system works only if I move my Extra kexts from /E/E to /S/L/E as suggested. Even if it works, i would prefer a more polish solution in which the Extra kexts are kept in the original position for the sake of factorization.

Is it something related to the bootloader? no way to fix this thing?

thanks in advance,
cili0.

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 223 posts

My system works only if I move my Extra kexts from /E/E to /S/L/E as suggested. Even if it works, i would prefer a more polish solution in which the Extra kexts are kept in the original position for the sake of factorization.

Is it something related to the bootloader? no way to fix this thing?

thanks in advance,
cili0.

Thanks cili0, i moved my E/E to S/L/E and i added in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

All ok !!!
Thanks !

fastfwd

fastfwd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

<string>Yes</string>

All ok !!!
Thanks !

Hi mistudio

Is there a reason for the change? If it was working before, why the change now? I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken then don't change it. I hope my setup will continue to work. lol :rolleyes:

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I managed to get it updated to 10.7.2 but I have a ton of problem with iCloud. This is what I get when I try to sign into iCloud.

Attached Files

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• FAQ Team
  • 3,008 posts

<string>Yes</string>

All ok !!!
Thanks !

I've done exactly the some thing as suggested by DarwinX few posts before. But the point is that IMHO this procedure can't be considered more than a workaround. I'm wondering the reason why we can't create /E/Extensions.mkext anymore or recreate the startup cache without encountering the error 'still waiting for root device'.

Is something related to the bootloader? any hope for a fix?

ciao!
cili0.

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 223 posts

I managed to get it updated to 10.7.2 but I have a tone of problem with iCloud. This is what I get when I try to sign into iCloud.

Hi Macusers,

Your solution is here, read this!

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1760215

GoodLuck !

curlyboy

curlyboy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
Thats what i used to generate SMBios.plist along with ethernet built in option set and everything works great

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 223 posts

Hi mistudio

Is there a reason for the change? If it was working before, why the change now? I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken then don't change it. I hope my setup will continue to work. lol :D

I don't know, I just did ... just in case :D

Greetings :D

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

I've done exactly the some thing as suggested by DarwinX few posts before. But the point is that IMHO this procedure can't be considered more than a workaround. I'm wondering the reason why we can't create /E/Extensions.mkext anymore or recreate the startup cache without encountering the error 'still waiting for root device'.

Is something related to the bootloader? any hope for a fix?

ciao!
cili0.

It has nothing to do with the boot loader and there is nothing to fix. The Mac OS X Lion had simply evolved to use a far superior kernelcache and the extensions.mkext is found nowhere within the actual system. The retention of the former separation of extension directories configuration, however stagnant and unnecessary, is still obviously possible but requires a manual generation of the extensions.mkext within the Startup directory from whence the kexts are loaded at startup, nothing "vanilla" about that. It is just a pointless exercise in redundancy as kext separation produces no actual benefits in the OS X Lion and defies the very foundation of its programming.

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,124 posts
If you really want to keep /E/E and prefer not to touch /S/L/E then
you can use the rc.local trick, works great here, been doing it since Lion came out.

/private/etc/rc.local
contents:
kextload /Extra/KextStore/*

NOTE the name KextStore, you can use any name EXCEPT Extensions.
Use the UseKernelCache flag Yes in/Extra/ com.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Best way to implement this is to boot -s.
At prompt type:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /
echo "kextload /Extra/KextStore/*" > /private/etc/rc.local

Make sure permissions are correct
ls -la /etc/rc.local

Should look like this
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 23 Jul 04:08 /etc/rc.local

Need to refresh the caches so then type
rm -rf System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

type
reboot and use -f for added measure

There may be some kexts that need to be placed into /S/L/E

This is what I have in mine
ACPIMonitor.kext IntelCPUMonitor.kext LegacyBluetooth.kext
FakeSMC.kext LegacyAGPM.kext SuperIOFamily .kext

Its all down to personal choice.

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• FAQ Team
  • 3,008 posts

It has nothing to do with the boot loader and there is nothing to fix. The Mac OS X Lion had simply evolved to use a far superior kernelcache and the extensions.mkext is found nowhere within the actual system. The retention of the former separation of extension directories configuration, however stagnant and unnecessary, is still obviously possible but requires a manual generation of the extensions.mkext within the Startup directory from whence the kexts are loaded at startup, nothing "vanilla" about that. It is just a pointless exercise in redundancy as kext separation produces no actual benefits in the OS X Lion and defies the very foundation of its programming.

I'm not so confident in the way OSX Lion loads kexts, so I can't argue about that, but keeping the extra kexts outside /S/L/E seems just right from a factorization point of view. Of course there's no difference between the two solutions, it just seems more polished to me.

The question was about the reason why this scenario occurs in 10.7.2.
The problem seems related to the fact that if we create /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext the system won't boot anymore. What it has to do with teh decision to keep some kexts in /E/E?

Thanks for your support,
ciao,
cili0.

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

I'm not so confident in the way OSX Lion loads kexts, so I can't argue about that, but keeping the extra kexts outside /S/L/E seems just right from a factorization point of view. Of course there's no difference between the two solutions, it just seems more polished to me.

The question was about the reason why this scenario occurs in 10.7.2.
The problem seems related to the fact that if we create /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext the system won't boot anymore. What it has to do with teh decision to keep some kexts in /E/E?

Thanks for your support,
ciao,
cili0.

Clearly, you are free to implement any system configuration that you please. However, continuing to use the extensions.mkext simply defies the way that the OS X 10.7 operates. I am all for kext separation, but ultimately, it is purely cosmetic. Yet, neglecting the prelinked kernelcache is not. Prior to the Lion, the OS X did indeed utilize the handling if its kext caches via the extensions.mkext. This is simply no longer the case. So, why defy the progress? If one is so attached to the old ways, then why update at all? Snow Leopard is still a mighty fine system.

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• FAQ Team
  • 3,008 posts

Clearly, are you free to implement any system configuration that you please. However, continuing to use the extensions.mkext simply defies the way that the OS X 10.7 operates. I am all for kext separation, but ultimately, it is purely cosmetic. Yet, neglecting the prelinked kernelcache is not. Prior to the Lion, the OS X did indeed utilize the handling if its kext caches via the extensions.mkext. This is simply no longer the case. So, why defy the progress? If one is so attached to the old ways, then why update at all? Snow Leopard is still a mighty fine system.

I'm not against progress per-sè, and in principle I've no problem in using the new kernel cache system. The problem arises when this new method doesn't allow anymore to use the /E/E.

It would be great to have both: the new loading system and the factorization of the extra kexts. It's strange that other people that keep using Extensions.mkext with the command

sudo kextcache -v 2 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

are not experiencing the same problem. It seems that Lion 10.7.2 is still supporting the old method, but that this old method simply doesn't work anymore for some setups like mine.

Thanks,
ciao!
cili0.

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Hi Macusers,

Your solution is here, read this!

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1760215

GoodLuck !

Thanks for your reply. I have tried that before I post but it doesn't work for me. However I update Chameleon to 2.1r1627 and that do the trick.

C.Frio

C.Frio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Pandora Team
  • 1,149 posts

I managed to get it updated to 10.7.2 but I have a tone of problem with iCloud. This is what I get when I try to sign into iCloud.

Hi

I just made a new account for iCloud with apple store's email and password...

c.frio

mindlessmissy

mindlessmissy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I'm not against progress per-sè, and in principle I've no problem in using the new kernel cache system. The problem arises when this new method doesn't allow anymore to use the /E/E.

It would be great to have both: the new loading system and the factorization of the extra kexts. It's strange that other people that keep using Extensions.mkext with the command

sudo kextcache -v 2 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

are not experiencing the same problem. It seems that Lion 10.7.2 is still supporting the old method, but that this old method simply doesn't work anymore for some setups like mine.

Thanks,
ciao!
cili0.

Hey cili0, you might want to try this method proposed by hotKoffy here:

generate MKext in Lion 10.7.2

Seems to work pretty well in that the root device error no longer occurs ...

However, in my case, it refuses to load IONetworking family hence I am not able to load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx during boot which I need for my Ethernet ...

EDIT: I have to add that the IONetworking kext loads FINE after booting ... Only problem is it does NOT seem to be included in the generated Extensions.mkext file (which turns out to be quite small in size compared to creating it using one of those terminal commands) ...

I can load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext after login BUT IF you are someone who does NOT even use that kext, I think hotKoffy's method will be great for separating the System and Extra kext files ...

Jedric

Jedric

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
To those who are still having issues. After days of troubleshooting just wanted to share this so it can help others.

To start I only had Wifi enabled "en0" and I have tried all the chameleon with iCloud fix, PCEFI and chimera and could not just login to iCloud keep getting "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account".

Itunes login working, I decided to test Appstore and I was not able to login as well.

In order to get Appstore working I needed to enable my built-in NIC. Read it in forum somewhere - credit to the shared this info.

I got my built in NIC loaded and the deleted

com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

Rebooted and when Lion came up everything worked I was able to login to iTunes, Appstore and iCloud.

So "en0" needs to be your built-in. Otherwise Appstore and iCloud won't work.

I had the following initially but I removed it and I cloud still works.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy