Fix Lion 10.7.2 on VMware

Donk

69 posts in this topic

Make a copy of your 10.7.1, upgrade one copy

Use the other one later & attach the upgraded disk, copy the kext

After all the VMs are only plain files, so you can do whatever you want with them

sebus

Hmmm any ideas when there is no such file/driver ? i mean i can't find the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext (nowhere on the disk !). I know this might be a stupid question but i have no clue why i should not have this file ? Running 10.7.1 under Workstation 8.0

edit: is it possible that somebody could upload the working file, that i can try to put it in the folder, or would this method not work ?

I found the easiest way to fix the problem was to

1: Copy the 10.7.1 (or .0) version of the offending KEXT to your desktop.

2: Install the update (not software update).

3: Before rebooting use Kext Wizard to reinstall the older KEXT and then update/fix KEXTS and permissions in Kext Wizard.

4: Reboot. Fixed.

:)

• Like 1

BTW, AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext was the same in OS 10.7.0 and OS 10.7.1, so if you have the Lion install DVD, you can get it from there. It's inside BaseSystem.dmg.

Added: I figured out how to boot the Lion recovery partition in VMware. Boot into the EFI shell and then

fsX:\com.apple.recovery.boot\boot.efi -v npci=0x2000

where X is the number of the recovery partition (use "map -b" to find it).

However there's a catch - if you install the 10.7.2 Lion Recovery Update, it will update AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext on the recovery partition, and you won't be able to boot it anymore.

The recovery partition can be mounted on a regular system by doing "diskutil list", (look for Recovery HD) and then "diskutil mount <device name>". If you copy over kernelcache from the Lion Install DVD to com.apple.recovery.boot on the recovery partition, it will boot even if you've installed 10.7.2 recovery.

Just to add on to what was said earlier, here is another alternate write up on performing the repairs if you HAVE updated to 10.7.2 and are stuck at the moment, the key is having the original installer file/hard disk you first used to actually install the OS.

If you are like me, when you updated your VMWare installation of Lion to 10.7.2 it started all sorts of problems, including no longer booting at all. If this is the case where you receive a grey screen on boot with an abort logo, and you may notice there is no activity on the HDD LEDs at the bottom of VMWare you simply have to replace some files that are preventing the boot of Lion.

Follow these steps and hopefully you will be back up and running:

1) Change the boot order of your hard drives in VMWare, you should still have the original installation file(vmdk) listed as a Hard Disk device; if not, Add it again to the Virtual Machine.

Edit Virtual Machine Settings

Select your 5GB drive of the Mac OS X Lion.vmdk

Advanced button

Change to device SCSI 0:0 so it will boot to the installer again

You may be prompted to "switch" the drives, that is fine.

2) Turn the machine back on and you should load into the Mac OSX Installer for Lion

3) From the Utilities section choose Terminal and perform the following:

cd /Volumes

ls

-now you should see a couple listings, one for the installer which you can ignore, and the one we want being your Mac HD name-

cd [Name of your Mac HD]/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -r AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

cp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext/ .

chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

4) Shutdown the installer, edit virtual machine hard drives back to the normal settings with your larger partition being the main boot drive SCSI 0:0

5) Reboot

Thanks to Zenith432 and cruptorix for their intel!

I want to thank you all for the fix, but for me it doesn't work, even if my installation is quite standard (VMWK 8 on W7 64 & Lion 10.7.1)...

What I had to do is to reverse to a previous version also for the IOPCIFamily.kext...

I post just in case someone else found the fix not working...

Sound strange, but I try the first fix several times before trying something different.

Anyway great job

Thanks to shawken's post for helping me get back up and running. I do have another problem... after I replaced the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext file and brought my dead VM back up, I rebooted to make sure all was good. This time it hung in the same exact place as before. I followed shawken's procedures once again and found that the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext file was now 0 bytes. Any idea why this is happening to this file?

This is the procedure that I used and it worked perfectly:

1. Downloaded the MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.2.dmg from torrent site

2. Ran the first Terminal command line to make a backup of AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to the current directory

3. Ran the MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.2.dmg to update to 10.7.2. NO REBOOT

4. Ran the second/third Terminal command lines to delete the new AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext in the Extensions folder and replace the old copy (current directory) to the Extensions directory.

5. Rebooted. Everything came up fine. Made a VM Snapshot.

The issue with using Apple Update is it doesn't apply the update until you specify reboot and then there is no way to overwrite the new AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext with the old one in your current directory.

Thanks Donk for posting the procedure here. :D

Greetings,

Not sure if this question is in the right topic, feel free to move it in a more suitable place.

I installed Lion and updated to 10.7.2 according to this tutorial and added the vmware SVGA II driver supplied here. Works perfectly now.

Just wanted to let you know that iWork does not seem to function properly. Whatever I try to type does not appear (and yes I use the Word Processing Empty template). I tried opening all the templates and all I get each time is juste a white page. I know the text is here becasuse when I randomly click on the document, page setup changes (margins etc.).

Looks like a bug linked to graphics. I read somewhere on another forum that some guy had the same problem on an old mac and had tu change his graphics card.

mfred/GnatGoSplat (et al)

When rebooting and it hangs again, well obviously we want to reboot and this is not satisfactory - so the solution is definitely not "don't reboot!" but simply the chmod command - please ensure you have ran chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext as this will make the file read-only and the Apple OS should not be able to edit it (that is the only reason for this command in fact).

Once you have done this you should be able to reboot successfully. To double check that your directory has had the command performed successfully open Terminal and:

1) cd /System/Library/Extensions/

2) ls -l

You should be able to see here that most of the directories have the permissions of "drwxr-xr-x" but what we want AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to show up as it: "dr--r--r--", meaning that even as admin/root we only have access to read the data and not rewrite it as a 0byte file.

Let me know if you are still having problems so we can get everyone back up and running.

For those who don't like the command line, I prepared a package installer with the necessary extension. Just run attached installer before hitting restart button in 10.7.2 update.

It worked.

Thank you!

Decided to put this in one place so everyone can see what to do. Firstly thanks Zenith432 for finding the offending extension and showing 10.7.1 still works. The post is here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1758947

If you have yet to upgrade then follow these simple steps to avoid the problem.

1. Take a snapshot, backup or do something to make sure you can always get back if something goes wrong.

2. Start the Lion guest and the open a Terminal under Applications Utilities

3. Copy the existing AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to the current directory:

cp -rv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext .

4. Now run the 10.7.2 update package but stop and do not reboot - if you do go find that backup or snapshot as you will have to start again! See the attached image.

5. Go back to the terminal prompt and run these 2 commands. You will be prompted for your password.

sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext
sudo cp -rv AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /System/Library/Extensions

6. Now you can reboot.

If everything is done correctly should reboot successfully using the older SCSI driver.

Thanks Donk for your guide, but after update 10.7.2 I don't have audio I'm using VMW 7.1.4 build-385536

any ideas?

When rebooting and it hangs again, well obviously we want to reboot and this is not satisfactory - so the solution is definitely not "don't reboot!" but simply the chmod command - please ensure you have ran chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext as this will make the file read-only and the Apple OS should not be able to edit it (that is the only reason for this command in fact).

Once you have done this you should be able to reboot successfully. To double check that your directory has had the command performed successfully open Terminal and:

2) ls -l

You should be able to see here that most of the directories have the permissions of "drwxr-xr-x" but what we want AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to show up as it: "dr--r--r--", meaning that even as admin/root we only have access to read the data and not rewrite it as a 0byte file.

Let me know if you are still having problems so we can get everyone back up and running.

Thanks, that did the trick!

I'm running multiple 10.7.1 VMs on our Xserves. I didn't have to use any unlocker.

Did anyone find a better way to Update to 10.7.2? I don't want to overwrite system files in all of my VMs. I think there must be a way to backport the changes, VMware did in their latest Fusion release (they had exactly the same symptoms...).

50 bucks for anyone finding a solution which doesn't require to mess around in the VMs ;)

I'm running multiple 10.7.1 VMs on our Xserves. I didn't have to use any unlocker.

Did anyone find a better way to Update to 10.7.2? I don't want to overwrite system files in all of my VMs. I think there must be a way to backport the changes, VMware did in their latest Fusion release (they had exactly the same symptoms...).

50 bucks for anyone finding a solution which doesn't require to mess around in the VMs :)

I know it is fixed ion Fusion 4.0.2 but it is in the compiled code so no way to backport. I did try using the Fusion 4.0.2 EFI BIOS on Workstation 8 but it does not fix the problem so must be deeper in the code.

• 2 weeks later...

2) ls -l

Important things to note:

The 10.7.2 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext is not applied until AFTER a reboot by the update package, so you can back it up the original and think your reapplying over the updated one but your not and you can keep trying this until your blue in the face. (look at the kext after the update finishes and before your reboot, when using the standalone updater, it still the original one...)

So there are 2 choices, 1) Set the current AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to read only (sudo chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext) so upon reboot it does not get modified (as stated), once you reboot recommend you put back the original permissions on it as one of the behaviors is you will not be able to see the extension under "Software Information/Software/Extension" (see screenshot, not sure if anything else is affected, but I am one of those people that does not want to find out later). This can be fixed by running: (change directory to /S/L/E)

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

2) Second choice, install the update and reboot (does not matter whether with software updates or downloaded standalone updater), it will not reboot successfully (know this going in)! Boot up your Lion installer media just like you did originally to get your install going (USB, DVD, etc...). You will be at the screen "reinstall/disk utility/etc) Select from the top menu "Terminal"

Change directory to your Lion Hard disk volume (the one thats not booting up now), remove (rm -r) the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from S/L/E. Then copy the original AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from your boot install media to the S/L/E (example: cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/)

Now change the permissions on it: (change directory to /S/L/E)

chmod -R 755 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

Choice number two is also good for those who either could not get choice one to work or did not know about it.

post-918704-1321031881_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...