Post Install Patch Fix for 10.4.7 SMB / CIFS / APF (Windows File Sharing)

Mofo-X

77 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I have not been able to reproduce any of your problems regarding the -50 error, I would repair permissions on your system, other then that -50 is most commonly an authentication error or permissionsm expecially connecting to an XP Professional or Server 2003 network share. Make sure you make in the popup you enter a proper username on the XP/03 box and that you chancge the Domain/Realm to the proper Workgroup/Domain in use.

I have also not tested to see if this is an issue on .8 yet, if you patch the .7 then .8 should not be a problem.

Regards,

{censored}-x

This patch worked great for SMB, but I can't connect to a AFP share. I enter the address into the dialog and click connect and nothing happens, no password requested. I know the share is good because my macbook connects fine.

Fresh install from the JaS repack iso.

Hello!

I have the same problem. The button "Connect" in "Connect to Server" did NOTHING before the patch. After the patch it looks like it connects to the windows share, asks for the credentials, shows the list of available shares but then shows ERROR CODE -50

Also before the patch Personal File Sharing Service didn't start at all. Now it starts automatically. But still no success.

Could anyone help?

Greetings,

This patch was created for .7, it does nothing harmful to your system and would not cause the slow down you are experiencing, all this patch does is fix a few broken symlink on the base install from the .7 Instal DVD that were not working properly, again all this patch does it relink those files.

Regarding the -50 error, this is most commonly caused by browsing through the Network in finder and using the incorrect Workgroup name or not suppling proper windows authentication credentials. Regarding the sambafix .6 which was mentioned, it does the exact same thing as this patch.

Regards,

{censored}-x

Well I have something strange to report. Applied the patch, everything ok, restarted and now my ethernet adapter is reported as "The cable for built-in Ethernet is not plugged in". It has a red bubble and of course I can't acces the net at all. I remember that the first time I installed OS X (Jas 10.4.7 DVD) I had to do something to enable it (kind of installing a patched kext), so I guess this patch reverted that, but I can't remember what did I do and I can't find the post where the process to fix it is described (the forum has grown a lot!!!) Any help would be really really appreciatted. I'm typing this from a celeron 1 machine!! :whistle:

EDIT: Nevermind, I deleted the adapter in System Preferences > Network, restarted, OS X just discovered it again and now it's all ok. Besides, samba works perfectly now :D Thanks a lot!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed 10.4.8 SSE2 only AMD update and i cannot connect to any SMB file sharing. I've applied your patch but, i still have error -50. With same configuration in windows server and 10.4.7 all works great.

I've update authentification again, but always have error -50

I also have this problem, on a clean JaS 10.4.7 DVD install :)

I'm posting because i've seen noone with the error thats causing this;

from system.log

Oct 22 12:02:13 wanderer kernel[0]: netsmb_dev: loaded

Oct 22 12:02:18 wanderer kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103500, mount=103600

There seems to be some version issue between mount_smbfs and the kernel as far as i can tell, wish i could solve it...

Patch in this thread won't resolve it (at least on my system, AMD on Nforce3)

I also have this problem, on a clean JaS 10.4.7 DVD install :compress:

I'm posting because i've seen noone with the error thats causing this;

from system.log

Oct 22 12:02:13 wanderer kernel[0]: netsmb_dev: loaded

Oct 22 12:02:18 wanderer kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103500, mount=103600

There seems to be some version issue between mount_smbfs and the kernel as far as i can tell, wish i could solve it...

Patch in this thread won't resolve it (at least on my system, AMD on Nforce3)

For some reason, my /sbin/mount_smbfs was newer than the /sbin/mount_smbfs on my install DVD? After copying it off of my install DVD, I was able to at the very least do this:

mkdir ~/Desktop/Media

sudo mount_smbfs //192.168.1.11/media ~/Desktop/Media/

Hello,

Got the same problem for smb (+installer not responding) on a JaS 10.4.7 (with all AMD necessary patches but not 10.4.8 AMD SSE3 yet). And I applied the MofoX patch for SMB.

Result:

So my MacOSX would not connect to my XP and I get the login screen but then after i get the "Alias problem" and nothing... What interesting is that I can browse my Mac (from my Mac) and from my XP... so smb works from XP -> MacOSX but not MacOSX->XP... fairly strange.

here is a copy of my system.log:

Oct 29 08:16:32 Amon kernel[0]: netsmb_dev: loaded

Oct 29 08:17:06 Amon kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103500, mount=103600

Oct 29 08:52:23 Amon launchproxy[251]: /usr/sbin/smbd: getnameinfo(): Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

Oct 29 08:52:23 Amon launchproxy[251]: /usr/sbin/smbd: getnameinfo(): Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

Oct 29 08:53:21 Amon kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103500, mount=103600

Oct 29 09:00:42 Amon kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103500, mount=103600

Oct 29 09:12:01 Amon crashdump[279]: Finder crashed

Oct 29 09:12:02 Amon crashdump[279]: crash report written to: /Users/rfv/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

I also notice that each time the login window of the MacOSX gives back the username in capital letter (instead of small cap... which i use for my login name and this does matter to win XP - but i noticed the same problem for publicly folder shared on my XP - ie with no restriction on connection).

and for what regards direct connection - i don't get better result:

rfv$ mkdir ~/Desktop/WINXP

Amon:/var/log rfv$ sudo mount_smbfs //192.168.0.11/Temp ~/Desktop/WINXP

Password:

mount_smbfs: mount error: /Users/rfv/Desktop/WINXP: syserr = Invalid argument

one question: where is the samba log file ? or what name it should have on MacOSX ?

Thanx

Robert

thanx RammJet:

But strangely nothing on the samba log(s).. But this on the console log now:

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext loaded successfully

mount_smbfs: error from NetrShareEnum call: exception = 382312522

mount_smbfs: mount error: /Volumes/WORKGROUP;RFV-TECHPRO: syserr = Invalid argument

any idea ?

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

;):D:D

10.4.8 Runs flawless again!