[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

I absolutely do not have any complaints to you and very grateful to you for help.

English is not my native language, and perhaps I can explain not sufficiently clear.

With your files I have everything working perfectly, the only exception is the FB from 10.5.8, which you recommended to install.

I of course use "UseKernel Cache = Yes." But when I first started the system, the cache is missing, and she created it. Perhaps "Legacy speedstep kext" loaded correctly (you know better), but in ioreg I see the following picture:

post-258304-0-68849600-1328134267_thumb.png

CPUPlimit and IOPersonalityPublisher is absent.

When I reboot the system, it already has kernelcache, and then "speedstep kext" loaded correctly and speedstep works. Ioreg shows the following:

post-258304-0-80241700-1328134642_thumb.png

I just want to say that legacy kext loaded only when using the option "UseKernel Cache = Yes." and the presence of a previously created cache. If the system re-creates the cache at startup, you need to reboot to get it working. Previously, I did not know and I have a misunderstanding. Maybe I'm not the only one.

Subject to the EDID I know a long time.

I can use the native drivers of the system correctly, replacing DisplayProductID-717, and can simply be replaced by FB Kext on FB 1.5.18, even without natit.kext. In both cases, the graphics are fine, except of course the Lion, in which there were freezing. If not the freezing of the screen, I would not touch my x3100.

Here's another interesting observation. Pay attention to the "IODisplayPrefsKey" "DisplayProductID" and "DisplayVendorID" when a first start the system (when it works FB from 10.5.8),

post-258304-0-50581600-1328137276_thumb.png

and in the second.

post-258304-0-20878500-1328137310_thumb.png

They are different. And if for the first case the system uses "DisplayProductID-717", then the second I found nothing.

I think this explains the blue screen after rebooting. The system can not find the correct profile and works differently. I watch this trick long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm registering and passing the Quiz just to tell you what I think is the final reason for this to happen, and an explanation of the SOLUTION:

As you have probably noticed, the graphics freezes after a while of intensely using it. For example, you use Mission Control, watch Youtube, play a game, use Parallels, and so on.

If you analyze carefully, you'll see it is happening mostly not when the fan of your computer is running, but just after a while, when the processor start to calm down and the fan is stopped.

Why?

Very simple answer: if you look inside your computer, most probably the graphics chip is interconnected with the processor unit by the same cooling mechanism, using the same fan. So, the fan cools down both the processor and the graphics card.

Now, there is a problem here when you use graphics intensive applications, it can happen that the graphics chip get HOT, while the fan stops to run because the processor is not that hot, resulting in overheating of the graphics chip, and thereof the freeze.

SOLUTION:

1. Configure SpeedStep for your processor correctly, as juanerson suggests here: #65
  2. Install ACPI, CPU and GPU monitors, as mnfesq suggests here: #80

Both of this solutions should solve your problems. One thing you'll notice is that your fans start working more frequently, and indicator that finally the graphics card is receiving the attention it needs from the system.

If anyone needs the ekts, please tell me.

If it is not working, we can debate it.

Hello, I'm registering and passing the Quiz just to tell you what I think is the final reason for this to happen, and an explanation of the SOLUTION:

As you have probably noticed, the graphics freezes after a while of intensely using it. For example, you use Mission Control, watch Youtube, play a game, use Parallels, and so on.

If you analyze carefully, you'll see it is happening mostly not when the fan of your computer is running, but just after a while, when the processor start to calm down and the fan is stopped.

Why?

Very simple answer: if you look inside your computer, most probably the graphics chip is interconnected with the processor unit by the same cooling mechanism, using the same fan. So, the fan cools down both the processor and the graphics card.

Now, there is a problem here when you use graphics intensive applications, it can happen that the graphics chip get HOT, while the fan stops to run because the processor is not that hot, resulting in overheating of the graphics chip, and thereof the freeze.

SOLUTION:

1. Configure SpeedStep for your processor correctly, as juanerson suggests here: #65
  2. Install ACPI, CPU and GPU monitors, as mnfesq suggests here: #80

Both of this solutions should solve your problems. One thing you'll notice is that your fans start working more frequently, and indicator that finally the graphics card is receiving the attention it needs from the system.

If anyone needs the ekts, please tell me.

If it is not working, we can debate it.

javuchi,

Can you please post all 'kexts' related to your solution. Sounds logical and I want to try. Also I can post back the result.

I'm running this solution and it is being stable for the moment.

Please let me know if it is not working or at least improved, and we'll se if we can manage other solutions.

Ok, as requested:

Instructions:

1. Copy to S/L/E and/or /E/E with wizard and repair permisions and regenrate cache.
  2. Select either Merom (Core 2 Duo T7xxx) or Penrym (Core 2 Duo T8xxx), only one of them.
  3. Edit your smbios.plist making sure to select MacBook4,2 for Penryn processor and MacBook3,2 for Merom, and the appropiate S/N. Just generate standard MacBook4.1 or 3,1 and rename. Use wizard programs attached.
  4. Make sure you don't select Generate states. Edit the appropriate Mhz in smbios.
  5. Reboot.

x3100 freezes.zip

• Like 1

Please let me know if it is not working or at least improved, and we'll se if we can manage other solutions.

Ok, as requested:

Instructions:

1. Copy to S/L/E and/or /E/E with wizard and repair permisions and regenrate cache.

2. Select either Merom (Core 2 Duo T7xxx) or Penrym (Core 2 Duo T8xxx), only one of them.

3. Edit your smbios.plist making sure to select MacBook4,2 for Penryn processor and MacBook3,2 for Merom, and the appropiate S/N. Just generate standard MacBook4.1 or 3,1 and rename. Use wizard programs attached.

4. Make sure you don't select Generate states. Edit the appropriate Mhz in smbios.

5. Reboot.

Wow. that was very clear. thank you let's see if we can put an end to this curse.

Ok, as requested:

Instructions:

5. Reboot.

Javuchi,

My processor type is T578x (2GHz) do you think this 'Legacy Speedstep' will work ?

Or do I have to change any figures plist inside kext.

Update information:

Finally I had a freeze tonight, so my solution was not stable completely.

Now I'm trying mnfesq solution and for the moment I'm having a good performance improvement and also it is maintaining stable.

Look at #78 and #80.

In specific, ensure that you're running as a MacBook5,2 in smbios, and use the new extensions provided.

I will inform how is it going in the next days.

I'm currently testing this solution for two days and I had one freeze yesterday.

By the way - there's new FakeSMCv4.

Until now I used the MBP5,1 with GeekBench result ~3300, and any attempt to move to MB4,1/4,2 gave the result of about 2000.

Since I'm using this method, latest Chameleon from SVN and FakeSMC I reach ~3200 with MB4,2. Not bad.

I'm currently testing this solution for two days and I had one freeze yesterday.

By the way - there's new FakeSMCv4.

Until now I used the MBP5,1 with GeekBench result ~3300, and any attempt to move to MB4,1/4,2 gave the result of about 2000.

Since I'm using this method, latest Chameleon from SVN and FakeSMC I reach ~3200 with MB4,2. Not bad.

I'm testing the new FakeSMC and seems stable, but only with MacBook5,2. If I use any other smbios, freezes happens.

Anyway, my processor is a 2100mhz, but it is only recognized as 1911mhz. Anyone has an idea why?

@ javuchi - I will test out your hypothesis regarding GPU heat (which is a very plausible explanation.) I will do this by running HW Monitor in my menu bar, set to display GPU temp, along with my other temp monitors which display only CPU temp. If you are right, when my video freezes, the temps will be locked in place and I should see low-ish CPU temps along with a high GPU temp. My only problem so far is that my GPU temp seems to be unchanged at 15 C. I'll run some videos and see if I can't get that temp to jump higher. Thanks for your input.

@ javuchi - I will test out your hypothesis regarding GPU heat (which is a very plausible explanation.) I will do this by running HW Monitor in my menu bar, set to display GPU temp, along with my other temp monitors which display only CPU temp. If you are right, when my video freezes, the temps will be locked in place and I should see low-ish CPU temps along with a high GPU temp. My only problem so far is that my GPU temp seems to be unchanged at 15 C. I'll run some videos and see if I can't get that temp to jump higher. Thanks for your input.

My HWMonitor is working, but I think it gets incorrect values.

The fan starts when the CPU is over 60ºC, regardless of the GPU temperature, which is usually between 40 and 50ºC.

One thing I have noticed is that freezes doesn't happen if GPU has not passed the 45ºC limit ever, but in the moment it passes, freezes can start at any time. This suggest me that the real GPU temperature might be in fact higher than 45ºC, but probably 60 or 70ºC in fact.

So this might be a sensor reading problem.

mnfesq, please tell me your progress.

If my temps were as hot as yours, Javuchi, I would surely burn my private parts. Since I am running a Dell laptop, I am fortunate enough to be able to use an app made expressly for Dell computers called Ik8FanGui, which is a fan controller that kicks in based upon temps read from Dell's sensors. There are Windows and OS X versions of this app but only the Windows version comes in both 32 and 64 bit. The OS X version runs only in 32-bit, which is actually OK since the X3100 GPU only runs in 32-bit. The upshot of this is that my laptop typically runs at temps between 38-46C. It will run in the 50s for only split seconds when installing or running a high priority app. My GPU temps have ranged so far between 12 and 24C, which sounds about right - just slightly cooler than the temps I get when running Windows 7. If your theory is based on the GPU hitting about 70C, I can tell you that I get those freezes but my GPU never even comes close to that high a temp. Since my last post, I have had no freezes. However, when my laptop wakes from sleep, the GPU temp is way off, something like 64522C but then it goes to about 12-13C. I'm assuming that it is related to the X3100.kext and its ability to load upon waking from sleep.

mnfesq, I have a Dell Vostro 1710, very similar to yours I supose.

12-13ºC is nearly impossible to mantain, unless the room in which you are is nearly frozen and you mantain the fan always on. So there must be something wrong with your sensor lecturing.

Probably you're having the same problem as me, which is incorrect power managment of the GPU. I wouldn't trust in your sensors.

There is a simple way for you to verify it: put your hand nearly the GPU and you'll se it is clearly not at 12ºC!! Even 24ºC is somewhat too much low for a GPU.

This issue is getting on my nerves... so much that I don't use OSX anymore and most of the time I use Linux.

As a proof of incorrect sensor lecturing, I can say: my Linux box recognize the minimum fhz of the CPU to be 800mhz, and the maximum 2,1ghz, which is exactly correct.

My hackintosh recognize 576Mhz to be the minimum and 1911mhz the maximun.

Clearly, there is something wrong with sensors.

Now imagine there is the same problem about fan speed and/or temperature: it means that the GPU can get hot and the fan never starts.

I even doubt that there is a mechanism for starting the fan when the GPU gets hot for the hackintonsh, so here we might have the real problem.

Guys! If you think the freezing is caused by cooling, then why they not available if QE not active or AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle is absent?

i Deleted AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle, and temp of my GPU more than 60 and no freezes.

Because by deleting that you don't use 3D instructions anymore.

I do not seem to have freezing issues that are temp related when using Firefox/Flash. Other times, it does seem to be related to intensive GPU function (which could translate to excessive heat.) I do realize now that my monitor temps are pretty inaccurate and that, for my X3100.kext, it is off by about a multiplier of 2. If I double the temp shown by my HW Sensors, it appears to be more accurate. For me, the more frustrating freezes are related to using Firefox/Flash, as in streaming vids.

• 3 weeks later...

javuchi, you have a very bright mind! I think you're getting close to the solution, but maybe your conclusions are not the exact cause of it. I had freezes on every possible temperature of GPU from 30 to 70 degree.

From the other point, maybe the sensors readings are not correct. But I had freezes with BIOS cooling management (it works on Windows without any freezes ever).

The other news I have is that my friend has a genuine Macbook with NVIDIA and he has the same problem as us. So maybe the problem is even not in adaptor.

javuchi, please continue, maybe you finally find it!

P.S. When I have freezes - I hear a very specific high-pitched constant noise coming out of my Hackintosh. I hear it very often and it stops usually. But when frozen it just continues on and on until restart.

Verkut, thanks, but I havent found it yet.

I'm thinking about another strange posibility. Remote, but possible.

Verkut, you say that you hear a high-pitched constant noise when freezes. Well, actualy that sound is caused by the TFT oscillator of your screen. Try this: increase and decrease the brightness and put your ear near the screen. You should ear something like that high-pitched noise while modifying the brightness.

Now, I'm having the same kind of freezes on linux when I connect and disconnect a SECOND monitor to my laptop. The freeze happens a while after I disconnect it, or even some minutes later when I try to reproduce a video.

Now, thouse having this problem, please try to connect a second monitor to your laptop, and see what happens. If there are freezes or not, please tell us. Experiment for a while.

• Like 1