[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

Verkut, thanks, but I havent found it yet.

I'm thinking about another strange posibility. Remote, but possible.

Verkut, you say that you hear a high-pitched constant noise when freezes. Well, actualy that sound is caused by the TFT oscillator of your screen. Try this: increase and decrease the brightness and put your ear near the screen. You should ear something like that high-pitched noise while modifying the brightness.

Now, I'm having the same kind of freezes on linux when I connect and disconnect a SECOND monitor to my laptop. The freeze happens a while after I disconnect it, or even some minutes later when I try to reproduce a video.

Now, thouse having this problem, please try to connect a second monitor to your laptop, and see what happens. If there are freezes or not, please tell us. Experiment for a while.

I reproduced it in linux too (after the 3rd disconnection) , but when i start a warm boot (booted windows 7 and reboot) it won't freeze.. And if I start the OS X with warm boot (after rebooting windows 7), I haven't had any freezes so far..

I reproduced it in linux too (after the 3rd disconnection) , but when i start a warm boot (booted windows 7 and reboot) it won't freeze.. And if I start the OS X with warm boot (after rebooting windows 7), I haven't had any freezes so far..

So, if I'm not wrong, this problem seems to be related to the VGA port and the way that OS X handles monitors and screens.

Let's find the correlation, if there is one.

Please everybody continue with the experiments with second monitors in OSX and freezes after rebooting in warm from Windows/Linux, and cold.

I have an Acer 5920 with X3100, got a lot of kernel panics related to x3100fb or freezes working with Adobe Suite CS5 in lion, also when working with multiple fullscreen apps. Finally i'm working for hours without any problem, here's what i have done:

1. Extract all SSDT from everest in windows and enable DropSSDT in chameleon.

2. Install AppleSmartBatteryManager And AppleACPIBatteryManager (After some experimentation i have found that VoodooBattery is unstable in this system)

3. Remove DSDT (I have lost hibernation and fn keys, but its worth it)

4. Install IOPCIFamily v2 (version 2.6)

5. Install AppleIntelGMAX3100FB and SMBIOS

PS: I've tried the legacyspeedsteeper from this forum but random freezes continued...

Let me know if it worked for you...

• Like 1

Could you show me how I apply the SpeedStep using SSDT from Everest in Windows?

Which iStat widget you meant? the one on the Menu Bar or Dashboard?

O.. Btw I using your approach with prety stable up to 10 Hours now.. I'll continue using it to see if this is working :)

Thanks.

You need to extract the SSDT tables using everest or aida64 in bin format, rename the first one to SSDT.aml and the rest to SSDT-X.aml where X is the number of the table, from 1 to whatever number of tables you get. Copy all of them to /Extra folder and set DropSSDT=Yes in org.chameleon.boot.plist in order to read the tables from the files at boot. Good Luck

Hi there!

First of all, excuse me for my poor english; it's not my first language.

Said that, I want to thank you all for your posts; this forum is a great source of helpful tips.

So, I think I've got a weird solution for this problem.

My computer is a HP Pavillion dv6823es (a spaniard variant of dv6000 series).

I've intalled Mac OS X throught the retail method (I made a bootable USB from Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Retail disk plus a boot loader seeking the instructions given at tonymacx86 forums). After that, I applied the appropiated kext and upgraded to 10.6.8 throught combo update download).

With S.L. the system was pretty stable (with two exceptions that I'll present you later).

Done that, I made a clone disk on an external USB drive using CarbonCopyCloner.

Then I upgraded the system to Lion (again based on a tutorial form tonymacx86) and then I upgraded to 10.7.3, again with a combo upgrade package.

I got this problems:

• The wifi ( Broadcom familly card) was no longer working on Lion.
  • The mouse's pointer "jumped" while moving across the screen

To solve the first problem I reinstaled on Lion the IO80211Familly.kext from S.L. and executed the bcm43XXX_enabler script that I found on internet. I got wifi working again.

After that, I read in this forum that changing the Lion's AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext for the one that comes with S.L. solves the problem of the jumping mouse pointer, so I proceed and the moused start to work ok.

But after that, the freezes started. I can not say if the freezes were present before, because I applied this solution just after upgrading to 10.7.3.

As a newbie (my history with hackintosh starts two moths ago), I'm afraid of DSSTs solutions (I'm afraid because currently I dont understand very well this system and I'm still reading and learning about it), so I've tried almost every kext based solution posted here without success.... tlll yesterday.

Before applying all the solutions readed here, I made another CCC image from the Lion installation. Then I proceed to test the solutions given by the forum mates without success.

So, as a last effort, I installed the following list of kext (via Kext Utility) from the S.L. CCC image to Lion:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.bak

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.bak

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

The sollution DOES NOT WORK.

BUT...

I thought to myself: " Now, I'm going to restore the Lion's original kext, and then, I'll reinstall again the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from S.L."

Via Kext Utility, I installed the same list showed above but with the Lion's version of the kext (taken from an original Lion Installation).

I restarted the machine and, for my surprise, the mouse was not jumping anymore (yes, WITHOUT applying S.L. version of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext).

So I've runnig a simple test to check the freezes:

Before this changes, my computer freezes after an hour of running RSS reader Screen saver. Also freezes when Safari was in a page with flash content for a while. My test was clear:

My computer has been running for intervals of time of 8 hours with some Safari windows oppened in pages that contains flash; The screen saver activate after 3 minutes.

I've played Limbo and Angry Birds without problem, having Blender and Unity Studio opened in background fo two hours. No freezes.

This article has been written in a session of Mac OS X that is 4 hour up with multiple windows of Safari and Chrome and VLC playing some episodes of Game of Thrones.... If you see this article, then this is another test.

So, on the assumption that this is a solution: Could it be that the S.L. kext installation leaves behind, after been overwirted by Lion's original kext installation, some kind of files or configurations that "disables" the "thing" that makes the screen go freeze? I'm specially suspicious about the bundles contents.

As I said, it's a weird sollution, but it seems work for me. Now I want to understand why. And maybe it could help someone else.

But I have two problemas I cannot solve:

• SSD Card reader have never worked. This is not a big ploblem as I do not use it, but I'd like to do if it were possible.
  • The real problem that I currently have is related to the video and it was present on S.L. and still persist on Lion: Sometimes, randomly, when the computer starts, Mac OSX loads and then shows a black screen similar to those that appear when you misconfigure the Xorg configuration on Linux: weird black screen with dark lines drawing around.

It happens radomly, despite of the org.chamelleon.Boot.plist content. I've noticed that if I pass the option of Inmediate Menu or press some key while chammeleon is showing and keep the computer for a while on the chamelleon boot menu, then, the "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" is less likely to be present than if I start inmediatly.

After been working for a while on MacOS X, if I restart or I shut down and power on again the computer, the "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" is not present.

Another symptom is that if an external screen is connected and configured previously as main screen, when the computer starts and "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" happens, the external screen works ok. So I've seen the screen properties and I can not see the resolution (1280x800x32) of the laptop screen. It shows a lot of resolutios like "800x600x32",.....[the closest to mine: "1280x768x32", "1280x1024x32"],...

If I choose one of those, the image comes back, but with a distorted resolution.

When it works ok, it shows only 5 resolutions (1280x800x32, 1024x768x32, 1024x640x32 and 800x600). None of these are present on the other resolution list.

In both cases I get full GL acceleration

Have you any suggestion about this?

Hi again:

After some days working, finally I got a freeze running VirtualBox with 3D acceleration enabled.

:(

There are two scenarios where I thinks the freeze probabilities increases:

1) Using Safari/webkit

2) Using whatever application that triggers some framebuffer function that makes screen (windowserver, I guess) go freeze.

While the screen is frozen, I can access vía ssh.

I am having this problem much less frequently. Therefore, I have not followed this thread for a while. My problems always seemed to be with Firefox and Flash - both have been updated recently and perhaps that's why I have not been suffering freezes. Whatever the reason, it seems pretty clear that Apples doesn't give a rat's ass about X3100 anymore and has no plans to improve upon its drivers ever again.

Seems the SSDT+Everest (up on this thread from Jorge Rivera) stopped my freezes!

I tried Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Flash/Adobe/Parallels/Anything else - NO freezes for two days! (Previously it was freezing 2-3 times a day)!!!

Thank you!!

Some news. Lion 10.7.4 beta built 11e46 (see with Pacifist -- delta update) has NEW GMAX3100 DRIVERS! I have NOT tested yet...

...I will try, but first revert back to native Lion driver with lags (X3100FB.kext version 7.0.52), restart and then install the Delta Update 10.7.4 to see what happens.

• Like 1

Some news. Lion 10.7.4 beta built 11e46 (see with Pacifist -- delta update) has NEW GMAX3100 DRIVERS! I have NOT tested yet...

...I will try, but first revert back to native Lion driver with lags (X3100FB.kext version 7.0.52), restart and then install the Delta Update 10.7.4 to see what happens.

juanerson,

Where can I find this download. What do you mean by 'see Pacifist - Delta update). Don't you have to be a developer to download 'beta' updates ? anyway thanks for the good news. We have some hope there..

Hi. Try Pacifist, to see inside the .pkg of Delta or Combo Update. Are you looking for beta updates? just google it. Good Luck.

EDITED: Tested the "new" recompiled drivers, BUT mouse lag appear again. So, back to the most stable framebuffer for Lion X3100FB.kext from 10.5.8 vanilla Combo.

Edited by juanerson

10.7.4 (delta update) on Acer 5920 doesn't work, black screen at login screen... got back to 10.5 kexts...

That's normal.

You NEED first back to install the vanilla Lion 10.7-10.7.3 driver (FB.kext), restart and then install the Delta Update. Or install the whole Combo Update. The reason why is because the Delta just Upgrade some files inside the .kexts (the binary, for example)... and the Combo upgrade the whole .kexts (complete).

Plus to that:

Also, see another interesting new things about power management in 10.7.4... seems too many changes, some vestiges of Mountain Lion, look:

http://www.insanelym...ttach_id=109681

Ok here are the results from my Acer 5920 after the 10.7.4 update.

GPULimit work only with MACbook 3,1 smbios. Graphics performance are significantly slower than 10.5 kexts, thats why the mouse pointer is laggy..

Going back to 10.5 kexts again... ;) i can live with a couple freezes in my hackbook now that I'm used to it!!!!! :wallbash:

After experimenting, 10.7.4 (beta) update, 10.5.8 fb kext, DSDT (x3100 patch) and SSDT from everest, FakeSMC 4.2 with plugins and SMBIOS Macbook5,1 (No legacy kext for speedstep) works fine... and GPUPLimit shows in IORegistryExplorer. No freezes after 4 hours of intense gaming and working with Adobe suite.

capture.jpg

In order to try my approach to the solution of freezes in a hack book with x3100 here's what you need to do.

1) Extract SSDT tables and DSDT from Everest or AIDA64 from WINDOWS

2) Patch your DSDT with X3100 hack code injection for 1280x800 display screen.dsl.zip

3) Remove all legacy injectors such as Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook32_107.kext

4) Use chameleon wizard to generate a valid MacBook5,1 SMBIOS and install it in /Extra

5) Install the latest revision of chameleon v2 (r1902)

6) Install the leopard X3100fb kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_Leopard_1058.zip and FakeSMC4,2

7) Use terminal to update kernel caches

sudo kextcache -v 1 -l -s -n -t -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

7) Be sure to put DSDT and SSDT tables in /Extra and select these values in chameleonwizard

caputre2.jpg

8) Reboot!...

This is a temporal solution, after 8 hours of intense work it didn't froze but it hanged... (no kernel panic or mouse still working, everything stopped..)

• Like 1

Thank a lot for the files and the tips!!

I tried your settings with 10.7.2. Maybe the Lion version matters - I cannot get the same picture as you do in IORegistryExplorer. Although the freezes for me are a way less frequent with your suggestions - I still catch one freeze a day after extensive usage of OpenGL :(

BTW, You chose

MacBook5,1 which originally doesn't have X3100 onboard. Maybe that's the cause too?