[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

Yes, I don't think that this issue can be considered [sOLVED]. It needs a fix that works for all x3100 systems all the time. Each proposed method helped reduce the number of incidents but they still recur for me.

I think there is another way to deal with the ghost, here is the link http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=7912

As slice said, the two SMC keys related the graphics card, i follow his method editing that key, like this:

"RPlt"--the changed value base on your CPU platform, my CPU is T2390, so the value is "M75"

"EPCI"--I just set the value to Zero to use "25mV" as suggest. (don't know too much about it)

The result is good by now, I keep laptop working over 48 hours without any freezing happens.

I think there is another way to deal with the ghost, here is the link http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=7912

As slice said, the two SMC keys related the graphics card, i follow his method editing that key, like this:

"RPlt"--the changed value base on your CPU platform, my CPU is T2390, so the value is "M75"

"EPCI"--I just set the value to Zero to use "25mV" as suggest. (don't know too much about it)

The result is good by now, I keep laptop working over 48 hours without any freezing happens.

I'm trying this out. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 so my value is M71. The version of of FakeSMC i used previously had a value of M82. For EPCI, the version of FakeSMC I used had a value of AQ==. Yours has a value of AA== and that is what I am trying out with my new value for RPIt. The entry for those who try out this method is in the info.plist of FakeSMC.kext near the bottom of the plist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This problem continues to persist for me as well. Any more ideas would be welcome.

Hi mnfesq,

I think you can try this, cause i get this issue too. Now, i change the model from MB3,1 to MB4,1 and set EPCI value to "01" of FakeSMC keys, also get all updates installed. Personally i think the latest safari update is important, i get freeze with these setting, but it seems gone after install the latest safari update.

One more things about my case, i checked the "Restart automatically if the computer freezes" in the Energy Saver of system preference, the result is when the computer gets heavy graphics load, the kernel panic happens instead of freeze, and it restarts automatically. I just get it happen twice, this attempt works good by now.

testing.zip

LatinMcG, Zprood:

Nothing helps me here. I tried editing FakeSMC, editing DSDT, editing my MacBookXXX.plist inside IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext - I tried enabling iGPUThrottle, I tried disabling every single GPU string from Sanya's post, I tried editing smbios.plist and I tried disabling every foreign kext I have - I still catch freezes. My Safari is the latest one - 5.1.2, but it doesn't help. When I use heavy graphics applications, or watch HD video, or use Flash, or just use heavy graphics sites like Google Images - I catch freezes sooner or later. I don't know what to do :(

(BTW I didn't have any on 10.6.x, they started happening on Lion 10.7.x).

Hi mnfesq, I think you can try this, cause i get this issue too. Now, i change the model from MB3,1 to MB4,1 and set EPCI value to "01" of FakeSMC keys, also get all updates installed. Personally i think the latest safari update is important, i get freeze with these setting, but it seems gone after install the latest safari update. One more things about my case, i checked the "Restart automatically if the computer freezes" in the Energy Saver of system preference, the result is when the computer gets heavy graphics load, the kernel panic happens instead of freeze, and it restarts automatically. I just get it happen twice, this attempt works good by now. testing.zip

Thanks for this. However, I use MBP2,1 because it most closely matches the hardware in my Dell Inspiron 1720, which was also about a 2007 model. I'm not sure what I would change my SMBios to so that it would have what you are saying it should have but also be a 17-inch laptop. What do you suggest?

i wonder if its the subvendor id . try setting it to 106b with registers and PINI or INI (slice has done it to his x3100 inspiron 1525)

guys try MB5,2 not pro if its intel gpu and boot with -v UseKernelCache=No the first time

however gotta keep the speed step numbers close to your cpu so 2,1 or 3,1 might work but lion doesnt like older 32 bit EFI

im thinking of grabbing friends inspiron 1520 x3100 laptop and seeing if lion freezes

• Like 1

abs2004

Do you think it's Apple's problem?

LatinMcG

Sure, I run in i386.

I have tried all the methods from Google.But it no works. Apple used x3100 in 2008, I dont know if anyone with 2008 apple computer is using mac 10.7. Apple's native x3100 drivers have the "Mouse jump",I replaced with snow 10.6.8 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.Then X3100 random graphic freeze happened, I think we may need a better x3100 drivers from Apple , but Apple may not upgrade the driver, after all, x3100 is so old.

I have tried all the methods from Google.But it no works. Apple used x3100 in 2008, I dont know if anyone with 2008 apple computer is using mac 10.7. Apple's native x3100 drivers have the "Mouse jump",I replaced with snow 10.6.8 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.Then X3100 random graphic freeze happened, I think we may need a better x3100 drivers from Apple , but Apple may not upgrade the driver, after all, x3100 is so old.

But it worked perfectly in 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 for me. That makes me think it's not an Apple's problem, rather some new methods of dealing with graphics in Lion. Or maybe we may need to patch our DSDTs or it's some hardware conflict with other kexts. I was able to bring probability of freezing down almost to zero by editing my .plist inside IOPlatformPluginFamily - the part that corresponds to CStates/PStates. It is freezing, but much less frequently, Maybe there's something more I have to do...

But it worked perfectly in 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 for me. That makes me think it's not an Apple's problem, rather some new methods of dealing with graphics in Lion. Or maybe we may need to patch our DSDTs or it's some hardware conflict with other kexts. I was able to bring probability of freezing down almost to zero by editing my .plist inside IOPlatformPluginFamily - the part that corresponds to CStates/PStates. It is freezing, but much less frequently, Maybe there's something more I have to do...

Hi,anastassssss

I agree with your thoughts. And it worked perfectly in 10.6.8 for me,too.I have another question need your help.Do you often encounter KP,expressed as "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB GPU parser error EIR 0x10 ESR 0x10 Page Table Error ", which directly point'AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext'.Any ideas, thank you!

20111217-qngsicw47ugtwras1qwnrb689u.jpg

Hi folks. Same KP happen to me (not often, and only in Lion), "GPU parser error..." seems to be a genuine issue (See this from MacBook4,1 penryn T8300 2,4 GHz) due to faulty FB driver (more recent cases in Google), even those reports exist in Linux too. Also, flash player hardware acceleration (by GPU rendered video) or something like that could be a probable old cause related to the "freeze, mouse cursor still works" problem. What do you think guys?

i think i would stick with 10.6.8 and stop feeding into apple bugs to make original apple owners want to upgrade to newer hardware

(more sales due to video bugs from older less powerful)

to tell ya the truth i dont think lion is any better than 10.6.8 so far.

It's a pity everything works better for me in Lion - better performance, better UI design (much better, I love its every pixel), lesser memory consumption. I'm all hooked! And now these freezes... :wallbash:

juanerson

I agree about Flash. The probability of freeze rises very high when I use Flash. Especially when I watch HD videos on YouTube, or load a site with a lot of Flash banners.

as stated before, there is something in AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle that interact with the hardware that producing the Random Freeze ,

if this driver removed from /System/Library/Extensions/ , it running well without any random freezes, but can not use it to watch smooth Movies in full screen

and also unable to play Games that using GL function and other staff using it.

I have tried all methods mentioned in this thread but none really works, still with random freezes.

Hopefully there is someone will really find a solution that solve this Random Freeze forever.

I love my Hackintosh!

How many of the people having problems with the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (or just random freezes) have Parallels Desktop installed? I know that I get the freezes and KP's due to the FrameBuffer kext parser error WAY more often when I am running Parallels.