How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

MSoK

134 posts in this topic

Ryan,

The freezing is most likely the Energy Saver settings need changing to "Never" in System Preferences, a common problem, or use the free Caffiene application.

In terms of audio you will need to make sure you have a Sound Card added to the Hardware in your Virtual Machine Settings and install Zenith432's audio drivers, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1594841

Then check your settings under Utilities > Audio Device

I realized the freezing was from the energy setting. Normally I always set that but for some reason it didn't stick. That's fixed.

Now on to audio. I did have the audio enabled in the VM settings along with the Ensoniq driver. Like in my previous post in System Profiler it said there was an audio card (Intel High Definition Audio) but no where to be found in System Preferences (No output devices).

I've since installed Lion but performance is utter {censored}. There is so much lag and while audio works it's pretty useless as it stutters horribly. I'm going to try to create a new VM with Snow Leopard and see if it will work this time.

Thanks

Thanks Ryan

All is progressing nicely with the SL configuration.

Video Resolution

I have found that when I was trying to install VMWare Tools from the Workstation itself, a message telling me that none was available poped up. I recalled that the unlocker was supposed to put darwin.iso in the VMWare directory so that tools may indeed be installed directly but I may have misunderstood that.

So, I had an iso from prev attempts to get SL working, called darwin_snow.iso. I connected to this iso and was able to install VMWare Tools and hay presto, a complete list of resolutions for my screen appeared. I set the resolution to be near my screen res (the exact one was not listed), but interestingly from the client I can now show full screen but I think its not as sharp as it could or should be (not being the native resolution). My monitor is 1920x1080, and the one I selected inside SL (in SwitchResX4) is in fact 1680x1050. The Workstation (8) allows me to do full screen.

I got the above iso from http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-o...dows-7-9140301/

Trying to get into unit mode (whatever that is) I get the following message: The virtual machine cannot enter Unity mode because:

- The guest operating system is running an out-of-date version of VMware Tools.

Video Speed

My impression is that its not yet sleek... it appears slow.

One thing I have noticed in the client setup was that the video option you refer to are not there. This may be, I wonder, due to the fact I do not have a separate video card but I use the built-in garphics.

Hanging

I use to get hangs in SL which I tracked to happen in line with my power conservation settings. I have now turned it off in System Preferences/Energy Saver and no more hangs. I have left power management on the host (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) as is.

Network Shares

This is an interesting one. I always see my shares on a NAS and some other network hosts. I see these in the Finder. After some time, and it may be after pausing the guest, not sure, these shares no longer show in the Finder.

Audio

Cannot get any sound going as of yet, but will read through these pages for hints and report back.

wmv playback

I found a couple of programs that suppose to play wmv files, such as Gom Player and VLC Player, but both do not show the actual content. So some more work required there.

Are there any benefits in any components of this unlocker for anyone with existing SL install?

Thanks for all the brill work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't really touched a Hackintosh since my days here (at a time when tubgirl [and his many other colorful aliasses (sic)], JaS, and then pcwiz were quite active), back when I had an AMD and was frustrated with my nForce4 board, or terrible performance in VMware (single core, no hardware virtualisation support...).

Since I built an Intel machine last year (a bit underwhelming, but I'm no gamer), I sometimes thought about a hackintosh, just for the heck of it. Haven't tried yet a native install (graphics on my i3-530 not supported it seems, and don't want to spend yet for a GC just for OSX).

However, after a few hours reading what you guys and others have done for OSX on VMs, I plunged back into it this morning, expecting the usual problems... but none appeared, it went smooth and clean, no hitch.

I just followed taker123's simple steps summary at post #14 in this thread, figuring the rest of the details out of other posts elsewhere (I hate asking questions that have been answered many times elsewhere).

A nice Lion 10.7 install from a vanilla dmg, no ugly patch or doubtful kexts. And no need for a previous install of OSX.

(Was skeptical about patching VMWare's exe's and dll, but was amazed so little is needed... hoping VMWare/Apple won't with this!)

Sure, there are limits (e.g. no QE/CI), but its good enough for now.

So, a big thank you to : Donk, Zenith432, MSoK, Albert N., and others.

Hello,i would like to ask a rather *stupid* question

Does anybody has a configuration Windows 2008 r2 / Vmware 8 Workstation ( iknow my Desktop OS is a bit rare but it is a *gift* from Dreamspark)

I am asking because i want to install Lion in order to program in Monotouch but besides Mac OS i have a ton of other Virtual Machines which i use daily. I am really afraid if patching Vmware will cause everything else besides MAC to R.I.P.

Does anybody has a configuration Windows 2008 r2 / Vmware 8 Workstation ( iknow my Desktop OS is a bit rare but it is a *gift* from Dreamspark)

I am asking because i want to install Lion in order to program in Monotouch but besides Mac OS i have a ton of other Virtual Machines which i use daily. I am really afraid if patching Vmware will cause everything else besides MAC to R.I.P.

Yes I do and no it doesn't affect other VMs. You can also easily remove the patch.

As Donk has mentioned the patched version of Workstation 8 works fine with all guestOS's, I have Server 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.10,etc all running alongside OS X on "unlock-all" patched W8. I also run Server 2008 R2 as a desktop OS with which Workstation 8 works fine. The one issue is do not install Hyper-V, as you can only have one virtual environment running.

Well thanks a lot for the quick replies....

I have very bad experiences with VMware that's why i investigate it (Once upon a time i unistalled it and kaboom!! my system was Dead.....and yes I know about the stupidity of Hyper-V......there can be only ONE)

I can only assume that was with much eariler versions since Workstation 7 / Player 3 I have uninstalled and installed them probably a hundred times (to test the latest patches / unlocker's etc), without issue, and always with Donk's original darwin.iso method and more recently with Albert's and then Donk / Zenith's latest ESXi5, W8, P4 & F4 Unlocker's. But a careful approach is always wise, and the dreaded "Take a backup before you apply the changes", is essential, LoL, MSoK! (P.S. I do not always do what I preach, and have the badge for time spent re-building following a "this small change wont break my machine", DoH!)

It can be added (if not already mentioned) that the present patching does not interfere with some well-known patch which injects a modified bios into the executables: totally different locations in the binary.

(though I prefer to add the appropriate "bios440.filename" line in the vmx when using a modded bios)

Has anyone been able to install Lion Server under Workstation 8.

I have tried to upgrade the client version and during setup after the package installation, the installer hags on configuring services. I have tried to upgrade 10.7, 10.7.1 and 10.72 as well as upgrading Snow Leopard Server which is currently running flawlessly on a Window Server 2008 r2 host. I have olaso tried moving a fusion VM to Windows only to get a CPU kernel panic.

Does anyone know how to make a server install from scratch to a new volume?

By the way, is there any way to enable shared folders on Apple client machines?

Thanks for the information and I hope I can get this solved.

Has anyone been able to install Lion Server under Workstation 8.

I have tried to upgrade the client version and during setup after the package installation, the installer hags on configuring services. I have tried to upgrade 10.7, 10.7.1 and 10.72 as well as upgrading Snow Leopard Server which is currently running flawlessly on a Window Server 2008 r2 host. I have olaso tried moving a fusion VM to Windows only to get a CPU kernel panic.

Does anyone know how to make a server install from scratch to a new volume?

By the way, is there any way to enable shared folders on Apple client machines?

Thanks for the information and I hope I can get this solved.

Not sure what the issue is, I have Lion Server running fine on ESXi 5 (just not had time to run it on W8), which is the same code as Workstation 8. There is no Server only install in Lion, you install the client and the use the App Store to add Server. The only thing, I am still on 10.7.1, only because of the issues with 10.7.2, and I have not had the time to apply the fixes to make 10.7.2 work in VMware W8 or E5. I will try going straight to 10.7.3 and see if that solves the .2 issues, I had developer notification today or yesterday for the .3 seed.

[uPDATE] With the release of Workstation 8.0.1, I will see if this resolves the .2 issues.

As I am sure some of you will have noticed, Workstation 8.0.1, Player 4.0.1 and Fusion 4.1.0 have been released, while not having tried all yet Workstation 8.0.1 works fine with "unlock-all v101". Do not forget the upgrade is in effect a full install so requires the unlocker to be re-applied.

I have just upgraded Lion to 10.7.2 from 10.7.1 under Workstation 8.0.1 without having to use the patch method required under 8.0.0. I will need to do some further testing, but initially all looks OK.

Not to be a total noob but are there instructions anywhere on how to use the unlockers (esp for Fusion)? I have done many searches and while I have found the files no problem in many topics, I have not found any guides/instructions on how to use them for Fusion, just Workstation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Not to be a total noob but are there instructions anywhere on how to use the unlockers (esp for Fusion)? I have done many searches and while I have found the files no problem in many topics, I have not found any guides/instructions on how to use them for Fusion, just Workstation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Currently for Fusion 4.1.0 you do not need any "Unlockers" OS X Client works fine, instead of only supporting Server in prevoius releases. I have not had a close look at the latest Apple EULA, but the implication is Lion Client is now supported as a guestOS along with Server, but only Server in previous releases, i.e. Snow Leopard and Leopard. But in the current release of Fusion (4.1.0) all client versions are supported.

Currenty for Fusion 4.1.0 you do not need any "Unlockers" OS X Client works fine, instead of only supporting Server in prevoius releases. I have not had a close look at the latest Apple EULA, but the implication is Lion Client is now supported as a guestOS along with Server, but only Server in previosu releases, i.e. Snow Leopard and Leopard. But in the current release of Fusion (4.1.0) all client versions are supported.

You will need it as it has been fixed in Fusion 4.1.1 for Snow Leopard and Leopardclients. If you are only running Lion then you do not need the unlockers.

You will need it as it has been fixed in Fusion 4.1.1 for Snow Leopard and Leopardclients. If you are only running Lion then you do not need the unlockers.

Just for completeness, I downloaded the latest Apple EULA for OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", see the extract below regarding running virtual instances, in particular 2B(iii):

2B. License from Mac App Store or on Physical Media. If you obtained a license for the Apple

Software from the Mac App Store or on Apple-branded physical media, then subject to the

terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set

forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage

Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the

Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard

or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and

run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the

Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (-_- by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac

Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple

Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or

multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a

resource center or library; and

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software

within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that

is already running the Apple Software.

The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies

or instances of the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal

sharing or other similar types of services

[uPDATE] I have checked the Apple EULA for OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and the Server virtualisation restriction still applies, so it is ONLY 10.7 "Lion" that supports client virtualisation, and of course only in the words of Apple "for your Apple-branded computer".

Just for completeness, I downloaded the latest Apple EULA for OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", see the extrat below regarding running virtual instances, in particular (iii):

Yep it is fine for Lion. Still have the restrictions on Leopard and Snow Leopard client versions though. I am wondering if telling Fusion it is Lion and then installing SL will work. May have to give that a try later.

Yep it is fine for Lion. Still have the restrictions on Leopard and Snow Leopard client versions though. I am wondering if telling Fusion it is Lion and then installing SL will work. May have to give that a try later.

Donk,

I will have a go when I get a moment.

Cheers,

MSoK.

QUOTE (Donk @ Nov 24 2011, 11:03 AM)

Tried it and doesn't work!

Ah well, worth a try, so we will have to stick with the unlocker for SL and L guestOS's on Fusion 4.1.1, or stick with 4.1.0.

The problem I am having is that even with 4.1 (not 4.1.1) I am still getting the "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Fusion supports hardware virtualization." after I create a new machine. And this where I am stuck and was wondering if there a process I could follow to use the unlocker (as I assume they will fix this limitation).