[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

I want to use OSX on the go, so I need to fix this bug:

I can only use the Internal mouse/keyboard when I connect a USB keyboard (only mouse is not working) while boot. When I see the login screen, I can remove it and use the Internal one. And in Chameleon the internal ones are working fine without USB.

Any ideas?

Specs: i5 2520m, nvs4200m, OSX 10.8.3, files from Post #164

@a2a - since you are on 10.8.3, i suggest you try the pack in #238 (imo!)

i replaced the older mouse stuff (3 kexts) with a single newer VoodooPS2Controller.kext from rehabman that does the red nub, mousepad and usb all in one.

@a2a - what does not work with the pack - just the mouse stuff? are you using clover now? where are your custom kexts? i like to have my modified kexts in /S/L/E, so i can UEFI boot with Clover - or in an emergency i-boot with chimera/chameleon. I have shifted over to just to UEFI-only Clover bootloader and have a pretty stable environment.

Anyway... going from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3, I replaced these 3 kexts:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ThinkpadUltraNav.kext

with

VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.8.2 (maybe newer ones at rehab's site)

The internal mouse/keyboard won´t work after boot. I replaced the VoodooPS2Controller kext with the new one but nothing changed. I removed the ApplePS2Controller.kext but then I could not use any keyboard and my mouse could not click. I dont have the ThinkpadUltraNav.kext . Now I have the new VoodooPS2Controller.kext and the ApplePS2Controller.kext but still not internal mouse/keyboard without external ones after boot.

hmm. thats odd. ApplePS2Controller is a very old version of VoodooPS2Controller as i understand it. when you put VoodooPS2 in place, remove ApplePS2controller.kext.

make sure the perms are right when you install VoodooPS2controller and it should do what the old one did for your external mouse.

tluck@toms-mac ~

$ kextstat|grep PS

33 2 0xffffff7f80804000 0xd000 0xd000 org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.2) <9 7 5 4 3 1>

52 0 0xffffff7f80826000 0x5000 0x5000 org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.8.2) <33 28 7 6 5 4 3 1>

53 0 0xffffff7f80811000 0xb000 0xb000 org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.8.2) <33 28 7 6 5 4 3 1>

Ok now things are getting strange: when I boot the machine without USB Keyboard, I login via fingerprint after that I need to wait about 5-7 minutes, after that time my internal mouse/keyboard are working.

Strange, but ok.

@ag6952563 - yeah decided to make the leap from MBR to GPT/GUID. Clover works GREAT ... but is still a work in progress for sure. However, since I think thats where everything is going i figured i would jump in. its pretty cool actually. it makes things look more like a mac. iCloud and iMessage work normally now. Installation recognizes the volume. the list goes on. the boot manager is very fast - even has a mouse option for when i close the laptop in the dock! i did not have to reinstall OSX or Win7. just copied them back from my MBR disk and then some work the win bootloader to get to see the UEFI disk now.

@A2A - so now you have the laptop mousepad and keyboard working with VoodooPS2 without the external USB ? yeah, i dont use the fingerprint under OSX...

@a2a - well thats better than nothing?!

UPDATE 1 - getting no hangs/glitches with new EDID injected by Clover.

UPDATE 2 - may 11 - still not getting hangs! - revised the zip attachment for different config.plist params that address sleep problem in clover.

@ag6952563

well maybe I spoke too soon on the graphics hang thing. I looked at EDID thing some more. looks like Apple will pull out a generic monitor model and EDID for the LCD display. ok fine. However, i booted up windows and looked and the monitor productid/vendorID and EDID and they were all different. Why - well i guess having installed a Lenovo Monitor Driver it updated the generic PnP model etc.

(Note: tried using the apple method in /S/L/Displays/Overrides but it never took the info. But these override with a gamma curve that i think is way better than nothing more realistic (less blue/haze) color tone etc.

Update 1: I took an EDID from a slightly different model (from Kogen Mantis' box) and it seems to be the silver bullet.

FIXED glitches and hangs for me. wow.

I attached the Clover config.plist file for EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/4236AT9 (for my box - change 4326AT9 to whatever name/model Clover figures out) and then other the 2 items in OSX /System/Library/Displays/Overrides. Clover injects the Vendor/Product 30e4 and 2e2 and it is working great for me.

hope it helps - will see how it goes for me.

EDID-fix-prod-2e2.zip

@a2a - well thats better than nothing?!

UPDATE - getting no hangs/glitches with new EDID!

@ag6952563

well maybe I spoke too soon on the graphics hang thing. I looked at EDID thing some more. looks like Apple will pull out a generic monitor model and EDID for the LCD display. ok fine. However, i booted up windows and looked and the monitor productid/vendorID and EDID and they were all different. Why - well i guess having installed a Lenovo Monitor Driver it updated the generic PnP model etc.

(Note: tried using the apple method in /S/L/Displays/Overrides but it never took the info. But these override with a gamma curve that i think is way better than nothing more realistic (less blue/haze) color tone etc.

Update: I took an EDID from a slightly different model (from Kogen Mantis' box) and it seems to be the silver bullet.

FIXED glitches and hangs for me. wow.

I attached the Clover config.plist file for EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/4236AT9 (for my box - change 4326AT9 to whatever name/model Clover figures out) and then other the 2 items in OSX /System/Library/Displays/Overrides. Clover injects the Vendor/Product 30ae and 2e2 and it is working great for me.

hope it helps - will see how it goes for me.

Hi tluck, that's great!

Do you know if it is possible to apply the overrides to the configuration without Clover? Any way to inject the Vendor/Product?

Update: Also tluck, do you have a suggested guide to do the setup with EFI and Clover?

Thanks,

AJ

Anyone here who has sleep working with the nvs4200m? With the Intel HD everything is fine, but with the nvs activated the notebook goes to sleep, but is unable to wake up.

@a2a - i wonder if its a DSDT thing? did you create your own that would have the extra gfx card?

frankly, I have seen some odd behavior on my HD3000 only box with sleep from time to time - every now and then i get the same thing some other Lenovo T420 folks report - fast blinking power light, fans stay on and wont wake up. not sure if its a "clover" thing or not. i dont use sleep that often however.

@AJ - to get going on Clover, i suggest you check out a parallel thread for T420 UEFI boot (clover).

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

Kogen has done a great job posting his tools etc on this thread. i got going using his packaging. the Clover elements have been changing and developing literally daily. Once i got a solid working config, i had posted my configs/findings as well. Note: some of his packages have the older format before everything went to /EFI/CLOVER vs /EFI.

get the latest installer here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

fundamentally the boot process reads a bunch of stuff from the so-called ESP partition. that's the hidden GPT/EFI partition 1 when you format a drive in GUID mode. the key file to get right is config.plist which is analogous to org.chameleon.Boot.plist. the default installer will not install a correct config.plist for the laptop. So get kogen's stuff (or my post on that thread with a proven config.plist.)

Anyway, the way it works is simple: instead of getting everything from /Extra from the OSX install. UEFI gets all the boot info from the ESP partition. its use the filesystem structure /EFI/CLOVER/* so you can have a microsoft bootloader there too (/EFI/Microsoft/*). i did not have reinstall OSX or Window7. i just had to copy them from my MBR to the new GUID disk.

good luck. it is really nice to have glitch/hang free laptop!

• Like 1

Ok, new Problem: My System wont boot anymore. I dont know why, the last time I powered the machine I removed Java 7, installed Java 6 installed Tekkit (Minecraftmod) shut it down. Today I want to boot but the wheel just keep spinning (the loading indicator under the apple) I let it run for 1h without succes. Savemode isnt working too. Any ideas?

@AJ and other interested moving to Clover - I posted my recent ESP (EFI folder) in this thread: #115 (using Clover b1526)

- the working model specific stuff (config.plist) is in OEM/4236AT9. If you have a different model change the name of that folder to match your box. one way you can figure that out using the F2 preboot log function. you can add the kext bundle in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts

@A2A - boot -v to see where it stops. better yet if you can boot -s, then manually do fsck on / that might fix it up.

@AJ and other interested moving to Clover - I posted my recent ESP (EFI folder) in this thread: #115 (using Clover b1526)

- the working model specific stuff (config.plist) is in OEM/4236AT9. If you have a different model change the name of that folder to match your box. one way you can figure that out using the F2 preboot log function. you can add the kext bundle in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts

@A2A - boot -v to see where it stops. better yet if you can boot -s, then manually do fsck on / that might fix it up.

Thank you, I'm working on it right now. I made a copy of my OSX to another disk, and now will erase and partition my SSD. Then will install Clover, then move the install back to the newly created partition... let's see... I will download your pack... and change the name to my model...

@a2a - it looks like something got corrupted and the gfx is not starting up. well i suppose you could continue to trouble shoot but it might be easiest to reinstall the OS - takes about 20 minutes. then just replace the patched kexts in /S/L/E from the command line utility in the installer before you reboot. (or restart the installer and do it!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I tried to enable the Quartz Extreme settings, but without any success...

At all, is this possible to enable with a Intel HD3000??

Have a T420 with 10.8.2 and SMBios MacBookpro8,1

Thanks and Greetings, Synymy

@synymy - a few questions:

how do know it is not enabled?

what specific model T420 do you have?

do you have HD3000 only or do you have 2nd gfx card?

do you have a dsdt with VID or IGPU defined?

so to answer your question: Yes, with Intel HD 3000, it supports QE/CI (turned on/enabled) by default.

you should have these kexts running (at least)

$ kextstat | grep Graphics

70 13 0xffffff7f80ec7000 0x43000 0x43000 com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (2.3.7) <10 7 5 4 3>

72 1 0xffffff7f81930000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl (3.3.0) <71 70 10 9 7 5 4 3 1>

81 0 0xffffff7f81650000 0x2e000 0x2e000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB (8.1.0) <70 10 9 7 6 5 4 3 1>

100 0 0xffffff7f81690000 0x62000 0x62000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics (8.1.0) <71 70 10 7 5 4 3 1>

@tluck

Thanks for the Reply...

Answers:

- I know it, because I want to use a Program which need QE and it tells, QE is not availabe.

- The Model is 4236-Y52

- I think I do not have second gfx Card

- Don't know which dsdt variant I have. I used the one that is posted here in post 164 ... oh, wow ... it's from you! :-) At this point: Thanks for turn my lenovo in a hackitosh!

I saw, that I didn't had the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics kext installed. So I installed it, but the same result... No QE available...

How can I test QE? maybe the Program I want to use is wrong about QE...

Greets, Synymy