ACPI Backlight Driver

hotKoffy

224 posts in this topic

you're ok when you write that install osx would been easy :) but this is a little bit too hard for my knowledge. anyway it seem very strange that brightness commands are different from the brightness animation command...isnt it?

you're ok when you write that install osx would been easy :) but this is a little bit too hard for my knowledge. anyway it seem very strange that brightness commands are different from the brightness animation command...isnt it?

I don't know what you mean by "brightness commands are different from the brightness animation command"

The ACPIBacklight.kext (and AppleBacklight.kext) provide services that change the relative brightness level of the LCD backlight. The keyboard driver is responsible for translating raw keypresses into something that OS X understands (arrows, backspace, letters, numbers, tab, volume+, volume-, brightness+, brightness-, etc.)

it something like: the fn button + f11/f12 that i click to change backlight daily, have a different "command" from the animation one? so the solution could be to "move" the keys from one button to another...a little bit hard

it something like: the fn button + f11/f12 that i click to change backlight daily, have a different "command" from the animation one? so the solution could be to "move" the keys from one button to another...a little bit hard

Your Fn+F11/Fn+F12 may be controlled by ACPI/BIOS. Taking control of them may require DSDT patches.

and could you help me to do this?

Probably not the appropriate thread.

And you need to start by determining the manufacturer of your trackpad...

ok, just for experiment.

synaptic! am i lucky? of course i'll open another thread if necessary.

My version: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Be sure to read the README.md. There is a lot of information on the driver, including how to install it correctly...

Install the debug version, and look at system.log (via Console.app) as you press the keys. If they generate ps2 codes, you will see it in the output. If they don't generate ps2 codes, then they are likely ACPI, which requires DSDT investigation/patches.

BTW, what is the make/model of your laptop?

• Like 1

Ok rehabman, i do what you wrote.

if i click the standard (in my keyboard - they work exactly like in windows 7 and have a sun icon on top) brightness controls (fn+f11 Brightness down / fn + f12 Brightness up) system.log is mute, but if i click the button Pause (F14) appear the "sun animation" (without regulating nothing because it appear only with one button) system.log write:

Mar 6 22:21:25 Daveta.local BezelServices 240.49[60]: ASSERTION FAILED: "Could not set brightness" -[DisplayStateMachine changeBrightnessBy:type:] line: 576

whaT could i do? fn+F11 and fn+F12 are regulated directly from ACPI?

dsdt.aml.zip

Ok rehabman, i do what you wrote.

if i click the standard (in my keyboard - they work exactly like in windows 7 and have a sun icon on top) brightness controls (fn+f11 Brightness down / fn + f12 Brightness up) system.log is mute, but if i click the button Pause (F14) appear the "sun animation" (without regulating nothing because it appear only with one button) system.log write:

Mar 6 22:21:25 Daveta.local BezelServices 240.49[60]: ASSERTION FAILED: "Could not set brightness" -[DisplayStateMachine changeBrightnessBy:type:] line: 576

whaT could i do? fn+F11 and fn+F12 are regulated directly from ACPI?

If there is output in system.log when you press other keys, but no output when you press Fn+F11 and Fn+F12, then your brightness keys are probably handled in ACPI. It is possible to handle these keys, but you'll need to add debug traces to all your EC query methods (_Qxx in EC device). If you have some programming experience, see: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Debug.

By the way, what do you mean by "if i click the standard (in my keyboard - they work exactly like in windows 7 and have a sun icon on top)"?

And what do you mean by "but if i click the button Pause (F14) appear the "sun animation" (without regulating nothing because it appear only with one button)"?

• 1 month later...

Someone can patch for me my DSDT please?  :angel:

I think i will broke my system, patch a dsdt is a thing over my capabilities

It is easy to do yourself:

DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch. Read the provided README so you know how to use MaciASL.

Apply:

"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"

"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

Save your DSDT to /Extra/dsdt.aml, format: ACPI Machine Language Binary

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

• Like 1

It woooooorks :yes:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

Now I've the slider under the monitor preference and I can change brightness.

The last things to modify is the keyboard kext to use Fn+4 and Fn+5 to modify brightness. Any advice big man? 

(however i've understood more from your post that the first one of the thread!)

It woooooorks :yes:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

Now I've the slider under the monitor preference and I can change brightness.

The last things to modify is the keyboard kext to use Fn+4 and Fn+5 to modify brightness. Any advice big man? 

(however i've understood more from your post that the first one of the thread!)

Keyboard mapping of Fn+brightness keys depends a lot on the ps2 drivers you are using... which depends on the manufacturer of your trackpad... Also, not all special keys are handled via ps2. They can be handled as ACPI. ACPI keys need to be handled in a different way... see discussion above.

So... what trackpad is in your laptop?

I've read above your discussion with Daveta user, and i've got a synaptic trackpad like him.

But i think that's REALLY out of my competence, and a lot of work for only skip 3 or 4 mouse click (go to preference and set brightness from the bar).

I think i'll keep the Fn keys in this way, no problem RehabMan, thank you a lot for your help!  :wink_anim:

I've read above your discussion with Daveta user, and i've got a synaptic trackpad like him.

But i think that's REALLY out of my competence, and a lot of work for only skip 3 or 4 mouse click (go to preference and set brightness from the bar).

I think i'll keep the Fn keys in this way, no problem RehabMan, thank you a lot for your help!  :wink_anim:

It is a fair bit of work... worth it in my opinion (which is why I implemented support for ACPI keys in my version of VoodooPS2...).

If you want to reduce the effort to change brightness even more, install 'Brightness' by bergdesign: http://www.bergdesign.com/brightness/

• 3 months later...

I am trying to get native slider working on my mackintosh (VAIO VPCEB16FG) running 5650m with clover boot loader. I am attaching dsdt and ioreg dump for your reference.

The ACPIBrightness loaded and just said that device found at \_SB.PNLF

The diagnostic tool said my display type is 2. hope someone can help.

Archive.zip

• 2 weeks later...

rehabman, looks like there is an issue w/ your driver and Yosemite, the backlight value is saved, but on each boot the screen is really dim and I have to lower its brightness manually. Is there a patch for that yet?

See issues database at github.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

the same here, so I uninstalled the kext ACPIBAckligth, and now the brightness value is saved even after reboot.

There are no known current issues with Yosemite and ACPIBacklight.kext.

You do need working NVRAM and you do need to use the latest version.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting this to work on my laptop (Asus G73SW-A1), and was hoping for a bit of help - I'm brand new to DSDT patching and might be doing something wrong. Currently my brightness hotkeys do work, and the slider does appear in settings, but I cannot actually adjust the brightness with either (it seems to be stuck at maximum brightness).

After applying patch "graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt" to my DSDT it spits out the error attached in the screenshot after compiling. I can't attach my DSDT for some reason so I've uploaded it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cWRyrtHaFebmJkWm5QMXVsMWM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

EDIT: This is of course with RehabMan's method, not the original one.

post-1235306-0-27271900-1414023146_thumb.png