OpenCL Oceanwave Bench and (new) CompuBench CL

mitch_de

367 posts in this topic

You are not rigth, that the CompuBench CL is Nvidia optimized. Look for each test results and you find some test were AMD is faster than Nvidia!

Example the TV-L1 Bench: AMD 290 is much faster than Nvidia Titan there:  30 vs 20 in the result list. (Tab results in Compubench, TV-L1)

So i think , the bigger OpenCL test set of Compubench is serious because it runs not only one task and so shows results of more different gpu compute tasks than Luxmark.

Luxmark is good and serious but head dev has only AMD gpu to dev and test. Overall newer AMD have advantages over Nvdia (more by its better gpu compute hw design than drivers),but not in all OpenCL code conditions. Some conditions are better for AMDs advantages, like TV-L1 Bench others show not its adantages or even run faster on the Nvidia gpu hw design.

So its good to have    more than one OpenCL bench. If you compare all results its more real life than only one.

By the way, ist also interesting , in Compubench CL to see the diff between CPU and GPU tests. 

Last but not least: In all OpenCL benches, luxmark &.... , the CPU speed (GHz, cores, L1, L2 Cache size,..) does matter also for GPU OpenCL speed!

The faster the GPU the more the cpu speed does matter.

Because of the overhead transfering data + results to/from gpu to the cpu and OpenCL driver overhead.

Like OpenGL cpu+driver overhead heads into OpenGL speed diffs  for same GPU but different CPUs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a while, but as OCL bench whore I couldn't resist Compubench :D, so here I am.

Sadly it doesn't support multiple cards, so I can only post single R9 280X (crappy MSI one BTW) result.

Only one test, which does work with more than one card (T-Rex) fails on 280X, at least on 10.10.3.

post-1130320-0-24974900-1429469216_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Mac Pro 4,1 firmware updated to 5,1 with a Gigabyte R9 280x v3 with resistor R17 modification and flashed with EFI. Underclocked to 1000Mhz and power limited to 225W to match maximum Mac Pro power supply.

post-6562-0-38966500-1446905995_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...