• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
Try that:

sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

rvxtm

rvxtm

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Tech, Science, Biology, OSX86 stuff

Try that:

sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Thanks man, great city Stuttgart, been there last summer to do a gig ! :)

About OS X , sadly, a clean install of 10.8.3 causes me freezes due to NVDA openGL timeout, 10.8.2 works perfectly (except VDA acceleration)... i'll guess I will wait for new nvidia drivers...

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
Thanks for submitting lots of new benchmark results - will be included/ updated in the next version.
Now clear: AA does work, no significant FPS effects if the gpu has at least 150 FPS in windowed mode. AA may have little more effect even on fast gpus (300+ fps windowed) in fullscreen mode.

That will have: fullscreen @ X.Y size info , some AMD gpus will get named by the major type number, like 79xx together with their (already shown) AMD gpu name Tahiti ,....

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
What surprises me is that nVidia is consistently beating ATI in this topic. Perhaps with stable ATI 7xxx drivers and more ATI 7xxx users stepping in, this changes a little.

All the best!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
Yep, but as always (benches) : Speed of each gpu type (AMD/Nvidia and its different gpu kernels) depens on which code is "liked" more or less for each gpu type.
To get an overall look on the speed of an gpu, we must use many benches!
But it seems that Luxmark OpenCL results are much more AMD ranked. At least the AMD 79xx runs very well compared to GTX 6xx.
Also GTX cars have much differnent OpenCL speed (hw design diffs: focus for more gaming speed vs gpu computing speed) - GTX 680 is much slower than older GTX 580 for example (same for 670 vs 570) !!

Posted Image
PS: Its not fps, they are points as result ;) Geforce Titan works with early beta drivers - OpenCL tasks sometimes crashing - so Titan result are low / not optimized.
But Titan will stay (even debugged & optimized) little behind AMD 7970 of course.
Info: Luxmark main dev , is non commercial, develops in an AMD system (Win). He started dev Luxmark (and Luxrender) with AMD 5870, now has AMD 7970. He will not & cant buy some expensive Gefore to optimize the OpenCL code also for Nvidia, as he already did (with OpenCL profiling) for AMD.
So this info shows, that beside OpenCL driver speeds & GPU hw speed also the software, the OpenCL source code does matter. At least up to 20% performance can be optimized by source code opti for some gpu series (AMD or Nvidia, which are in detail different in gpu computing usage / opti!)

It may possible, that because Nvidia started years earlier than AMD with CUDA, the OpenCL Nvidia part has some advantages of the CUDA dev the past.
ATI had its own ATI Steam (its like CUDA) - but was never used much in the past.

CUDA (as ATI Steam in the past) can be more optimized & can have more features as OpenCL, because there are much less GPU types to support.
So gpu computing professionals (research, university, military,..) stay with CUDA and will not use OpenCL - at least not in the next 1-2 years.
CUDA has one more advantage: Nvidia developed some CUDA libs for wide range of usage - they are highly optimized & the devs , like for wether simulation have to code much less own code than using OpenCL. Much faster developing & also much less buggs using that ready to use & optimized cuda libs.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff

What surprises me is that nVidia is consistently beating ATI in this topic. Perhaps with stable ATI 7xxx drivers and more ATI 7xxx users stepping in, this changes a little.

All the best!

I beg to differ. OpenCL on 7970 can't be beat for single GPU. Of course this can change any day and Titan may be the one to do it soon. But with their back and forth battle, we all benefit by having GPU hardware always getting better at much faster rate than we see for CPU, where AMD still makes competition for intel, but with strategy of providing better value instead of pushing the limits of how powerful a CPU could possibly be. If AMD/intel had same level of competition as AMD/Nvidia, there would be plenty of new +$1000 CPUs always released by both, and lucky people who could afford to buy them to make us jealous :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

I beg to differ. OpenCL on 7970 can't be beat for single GPU.

Eep357, differ from who/what? That was precisely my point, thus my surprise seeing nVidia benching higher in this topic. But i think mitch_de explained things quite well. :D

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
It seems that running OceanWave OpenCL on very lowend gpu - like AMD 4670 may fail! Its running out of some local memory, the bench needs. (shown in logs as an assest error)
Other than running games, were to less VRAM produces little freezes (fps drops) by VRAM swapping, OpenCL needs enough free + unfragmented (one block!) onboard (VRAM) memory which cant be swapped like using OpenGL. OpenGL never can run put of VRAM - it only loose much speed / stalls.
One more thing: The memory OpenCL uses must be in one block - so not all memory available for OpenGL is also available for OpenCL.
For example an 512 MB card, running OS X desktop (uses little VRAM) uses already about 50 MB. You will not have the rest - 462 MB (512 -50) available for OpenCL tasks. Its less, i think fixed to some 32/64 MB "slots" like 384 MB or 328 MB and or reduced by some VRAM fragments.
Even the GPU has 512 MB the bench may fail in case of AMD 46xx gpus - some internals (memory management) maybe incompatible with complex OpenCL benches.
Also the OS X driver may have an bug which reports wrong AMD 46xx features which this benchmark reads out and uses them.

But it doesnt matter real, because CoreImage for that GPU is OK and OpenCL will never perform well on AMD 46xx gpus.
This bench make more sense AMD 48xx and up.

COOL , first bench results (lots) for new AMD 7950 Mac by Rob - barefeats!!

http://www.barefeats.com/gpu7950.html

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff

Eep357, differ from who/what? That was precisely my point, thus my surprise seeing nVidia benching higher in this topic. But i think mitch_de explained things quite well. :D

Sorry! :) I hadn't noticed Nvidia benching higher, was looking only at the "pole position" on page 1 where it got stomped :P And above graph where only Nvidia cards in SLI were able to top single AMD. Kinda figured below that, it all depends on cards age who score best.

MakeMineMac

MakeMineMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

Just put in the GTX 660 it is working great, however, I cannot get OpenCL to work. I came from the dreaded 560ti to this card and now no OpenCL!

For your information my kexts all have the 3/10/13 date on them and say version 8.10.44 (I assume this is the native Apple 10.8.3 kexts???)
GraphicsEnabler=No
MacPro 4,1
I still have one 560ti in the lower slot, (that shouldn't matter)

This has to be something simple, what on earth am I doing wrong?

Please let me know if I need to change frameworks as well as kexts as I am not too sure, so far I have been keeping the frameworks with their corresponding kexts...if that makes sense.

Like I said, card(s) are working great, just no OpenCL on the GTX 660, thought it would be an easy swap, just put the card in, put the original unmodified kexts back, and everything should work. Knew it would be harder than that.... Posted Image

fau7i

fau7i

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
First time I got no error. In fact, I have to turn off HD 4000 to get this scores.

Attached Files

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Test with 10.9 DP1: FPS is locked at ~60. Probably an issue with VSync?

stefano.85

stefano.85

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Test with 10.9 DP1: FPS is locked at ~60. Probably an issue with VSync?

+1 same here... on first system in signature

Attached File  Schermata 2013-06-12 alle 00.23.11.png   439.18KB   5 downloads

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts

Attached File  Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-12 um 11.42.49.jpg   181.03KB   2 downloads

MY 9600 GT getting 94 FPS (on 60 Hz TFT, same as 10.8) with 10.9 DP1 - so perhaps other problem (driver dependend, gpu  type depended)

gils83

gils83

DJ Officiel d'InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • Interests:le soleil du var et l'informatique

:)

OS X 10.9 DP2

508581Capturede769cran20130630a768220721

700507Capturedcran20130630220758.png

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts

PS: With OS X 10.9 lots of gpus (not my 9600 GT) running in an 60 FPS (VSYNC?) bug gap.

RobertX

RobertX

Yosemite Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

...@mitch_de ...got that issue here using the GM

fau7i

fau7i

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

In Mavericks GM, same issue. And, Tahiti becomes FirePro  :rolleyes:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 4.33.23 PM.png   556.57KB   3 downloads

XanthraX

XanthraX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Mavericks 10.9 on Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, CPU: Intel® Pentium® Processor G645 (3M Cache, 2.90 GHz), Graphic card: Asus EAH5670 (AMD Radeon HD 5670, GDDR5 1GB)

Attached Files

DanMcQ

DanMcQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Running 10.9 Build 13A603 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, GTX650, Core i7 3770k @ 3.5ghz

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 10.51.25 AM.png

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy