• Please log in to reply
793 replies to this topic

Ken73

Ken73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Got my Workstation 9 license; applied the patch, but I'm getting "Can't download the additional components needed to install OS X" .. I created the ISO on my virtual Mac with no (apparent) issues and it does boot up at least. Any ideas? What little I can garner from Google is it's a "bad disc" (image.)

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Anyone getting success booting workstation 9 with the DMG? Ken73, I'm not getting that error, when I boot it says unsuccessful boot, then tries to run the EFI Shell. I'll try making the ISO and trying again.

Ken73

Ken73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, cured my own problem. It was apparently a bad "disc" - I recopied the InstallESD.dmg out of the install package and re-ran the hdiutil to make the ISO, but this time on my Mac Mini - and it worked. I've got it running under Workstation 9 just fine!

Ken73

Ken73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Anyone getting success booting workstation 9 with the DMG? Ken73, I'm not getting that error, when I boot it says unsuccessful boot, then tries to run the EFI Shell. I'll try making the ISO and trying again.

You can't boot from the DMG, has to be converted to an ISO. You can do it easily within an already functioning Mac, or there are options to do it in Windows (I didn't have success doing it in Windows myself.)

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Yeah, I got it with the ISO :)

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
After struggling to get osx running on 4.1 I have upgraded to 5.1 applied the patch 1.10 from ssh ./install.sh rebooted mounted installesd.dmg when I start machine I get a general error the vm could not be started please can someone point me in the right direction 7 days of 4.1 and now day on 5.1 is not the best fro my sanity :)

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

After struggling to get osx running on 4.1 I have upgraded to 5.1 applied the patch 1.10 from ssh ./install.sh rebooted mounted installesd.dmg when I start machine I get a general error the vm could not be started please can someone point me in the right direction 7 days of 4.1 and now day on 5.1 is not the best fro my sanity :)

OS X under ESXi 5.1 should work fine, so if you are having a problem, we will need a bit more detail, so what is your PC / Server spec (i.e. CPU etc.), which version of OS X are you wanting to install, is it a retail version (i.e. downloaded from the App Store), a txt copy of your .vmx config file. Finally has the "Unlocker" applied correctly, i.e. can you select OS X from the New Virtual Machine Wizard?

With more information hopefully we can help.

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for reply MSOK, managed to get OSX 10.8.2 installed on ESXi 5.1 (799733) but having problems in that I am unable to start other VMS on the host I get a general error unable to start VM this is for all other vms

PC is a Gigabyte P67A U3 B3 32gb i7 2600k

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Thanks for reply MSOK, managed to get OSX 10.8.2 installed on ESXi 5.1 (799733) but having problems in that I am unable to start other VMS on the host I get a general error unable to start VM this is for all other vms

Thanks for the additional information, so just to confirm your OS X 10.8.2 is up and running, but no other VM's work, i.e. Windows, Linux, etc. Was the OS X 10.8.2 a fresh install on your current hardware and ESXi 5.1 with "Unlocker" configuration? Are the non working VM's fresh installs on your current hardware / ESXi 5.1 or were they created previously. Have you tried a fresh install of a non working O/S type?

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
The VM's were all existing VM's, 10.8.2 was a fresh install, I will try a new install of a non working OS, the non working currently are a mixed bag, Ubuntu 12.04 Windows server 2008, Xp, Windows 7, Openindiana

pip11

pip11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I believe I'm having the same problem on ESXi 5.1, there's more details in my last post. With the unlocker installed, after boot everything works correctly (I can start VMs running any OS), but after some amount of time/activity, VMs will not start. (VMs that are already running stay running however)

When I reboot ESXi, the cycle repeats: works fine for a time, then no VMs will start.

jimg also PM'd me and is having the same problem, he said that SSHing into ESXi and running '/sbin/services.sh restart' will temporarily allow VMs to start without having to reboot ESXi, but it's only temporary.

Donk, any ideas?

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

You are not running a cluster of ESXi with vCenter?

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I am running a couple of identical ESXi servers with vcenter

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

The VM's were all existing VM's, 10.8.2 was a fresh install, I will try a new install of a non working OS, the non working currently are a mixed bag, Ubuntu 12.04 Windows server 2008, Xp, Windows 7, Openindiana

OK, it is possible the new CPU is causing the problem for OS's built on different hardware, especially if a new build works fine. You could try "dumbing" down your new i7 2600K at the VM level by adding the following CPUID mask in to your .vmx configuration file.

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

see the original thread, link below:

http://www.insanelym...r/#entry1551966

I am running a couple of identical ESXi servers with vcenter

Just as a reminder, vCenter does not support OS X or the "Unlocker", so to create and access OS X VM's go directly to your ESXi host in your vSphere client rather than via your vCenter Server.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Just as a reminder, vCenter does not support OS X or the "Unlocker", so to create and access OS X VM's go directly to your ESXi host in your vSphere client rather than via your vCenter Server.

I think vCenter has gotten smarter and is actively disconnecting ESXi hosts where a core file has been altered. As MSoK says the unlocker is only for standalone ESXi hosts, and I do no test it with vCenter as it has never worked with it.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
It does EXACTLY as described, VM power on will MOSTLY (but not always) fail

Unlocker ONLY works correctly for Standalone ESXi & NO vCenter

That ONLY applies to unlocker (editing BIOS & re-creating s.000 does NOT cause any problems - yet the executable is also "touched")

The issue might be (I did not test) due to unlocker using overlay darwin.tgz
Maybe recreation of s.000 (as per this - just s.z is now s.000) would make it work - worth testing

sebus

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I am connecting through vclient to the host running OSX, I am using vcenter to do anything on this host, in fact I shut down the other host and removed the host from vcenter and administered the OSX host through vclient directly and the same issue is still apparent

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
Try uninstalling and re-installing it. Also make sure you run it from a datastore.

orinoco253

orinoco253

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Osx install is running from datastore, whn you say uninstall and reinstall, do you mean Osx? The unlocker or ESXi?

Thanks

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Unlocker, just make sure ESX is standalone

sebus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy