ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

Guys I got another thread going, but this one is getting alot of views, but Im getting the Apple splash screen on the setup, I did the unlock script. But I did have the esxi controlled by Vcenter at one point but removed it. Could this be causing my issue. BTW im running esxi 5.1 on a Dell with PE5700.

O,

This is probably the correct place for your question.

OK, in terms of your AMD box, retail OS X is never going to work as the OS X kernel contains no code to work with an AMD processor, you would need a modified kernel.

In terms of your P5700, it does support VT-x, but unless you can enable this in BIOS OS X is not going to install, and even if you could performance would be very poor. Also it is unlikely your processer would be supported in OS X L or ML, it may work with SL.

I am fairly sure if you have taken the server out of the vCenter cluster it will not be causing the issues you are having, I think the issues are down to the CPU's you are using, also having a mixed CPU environment is not ideal, you cannot easily move VM's between Intel and AMD systems without either using the standalone converter or create an OVF, so better to stick with Intel if you want to run OS X VM's, both Intel and AMD are fine for Windows and Linux VM's.

O,

This is probably the correct place for your question.

OK, in terms of your AMD box, retail OS X is never going to work as the OS X kernel contains no code to work with an AMD processor, you would need a modified kernel.

In terms of your P5700, it does support VT-x, but unless you can enable this in BIOS OS X is not going to install, and even if you could performance would be very poor. Also it is unlikely your processer would be supported in OS X L or ML, it may work with SL.

I am fairly sure if you have taken the server out of the vCenter cluster it will not be causing the issues you are having, I think the issues are down to the CPU's you are using, also having a mixed CPU environment is not ideal, you cannot easily move VM's between Intel and AMD systems without either using the standalone converter or create an OVF, so better to stick with Intel if you want to run OS X VM's, both Intel and AMD are fine for Windows and Linux VM's.

Thanks MSoK,

I can boot into the EFI but not many options except for boot order, I set the VT-X from the Vsphere advanced tab, still no joy?

Thanks MSoK,

I can boot into the EFI but not many options except for boot order, I set the VT-X from the Vsphere advanced tab, still no joy?

O,

Setting VT-x from vSphere will not work, it has to be set at the BIOS level of the host machine. If you do not have the option see if you can find an alternative firmware for your machine, which may have the option to set VT-x.

I'm running ESXi 5.1 on a Mac Mini (6,2) in a vSphere HA/DRS cluster with 3 other hosts. 10.7 and 10.8 install and run beautifully, but when attempting to install 10.6 (converted DMG to ISO), I get a boot screen for

just a minute or so while tracks are being read from the datastore ISO (iSCSI LUNs) and then my VM powers off. From reading I've done on the unlocker and here in this thread, I don't see anyone that has had a similar issue. Can anyone comment on this? I would think it works since creating a new VM has a pre-built template for 10.6 (32- and 64-bit).

Installed ML on my ESXi server, thanks for the unlocker ;-)

However I have bad graphics, and I consider to by a simple GPU, I have put some details in link to my post, so the question is what GPU works Out Of The box to pass through to Mountain Lion VM.

http://www.insanelym...ock-z77-pro4-m/

And is it possible to use chameleon as bootloader as in hackintosh? I have try but it not booting from Cham, maybe there is a guide somewhere, or shall is be native booting from original installation ?

So the only thing for me now is get a better acceleration for my graphics, and of course the sound is not working from my motherboard in ML VM

Thanks

Peter

I'm getting the Segmentation fault error while trying to install on ESXi 5.1:

/vmfs/volumes/515d3010-4a617e30-bef1-f80f41f30c7b # ./install.sh

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0

==============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

Patching files...

Segmentation fault

/vmfs/volumes/515d3010-4a617e30-bef1-f80f41f30c7b #

What can cause it?

Thanks.

I'm running ESXi 5.1 on a Mac Mini (6,2) in a vSphere HA/DRS cluster with 3 other hosts. 10.7 and 10.8 install and run beautifully, but when attempting to install 10.6 (converted DMG to ISO), I get a boot screen for

just a minute or so while tracks are being read from the datastore ISO (iSCSI LUNs) and then my VM powers off. From reading I've done on the unlocker and here in this thread, I don't see anyone that has had a similar issue. Can anyone comment on this? I would think it works since creating a new VM has a pre-built template for 10.6 (32- and 64-bit).

Unless you are running the "Unlocker" or your SL media is Server, VMware is doing what it is supposed to do in meeting the APPLE EULA for SL, i.e. you can only run SL Server virtually, the EULA changed for L and ML which allows the standard product to be run virtually, as Server is now an add on rather than a separate product.

Please be aware using the "Unlocker" with vCenter Server is not recommended and could cause your cluster to become unstable.

A better option would be to slipstream the ServerVersion.plist in to your SL media, this will bypass the check in VMware, also you will need a CPUID mask in your VMX config file as 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 media does not support Core i5 or i7 processors.

Hello all,

I've tried to install Mountain Lion on a Dell R720 ESXi host, without getting a working configuration at the end. My host have been enabled with the unlock-all 1.1.0 script. The machine starts up perfectly, boots on ML DVD, I can partition my HD and install Mountain Lion but, at boot time, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and the boot wheel, turning forever.

I've tried repatching my host and restoring an old OS X VM, with exactly the same behaviour at last.

If any of you is aware of any modification to do in the .vmx or VM, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I've tried to install Mountain Lion on a Dell R720 ESXi host, without getting a working configuration at the end. My host have been enabled with the unlock-all 1.1.0 script. The machine starts up perfectly, boots on ML DVD, I can partition my HD and install Mountain Lion but, at boot time, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and the boot wheel, turning forever.

I've tried repatching my host and restoring an old OS X VM, with exactly the same behaviour at last.

If any of you is aware of any modification to do in the .vmx or VM, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot think of an obvious reason why your ML will not boot, may be worth trying the downloaded InstallESD.dmg (which is supported in ESXi 5.1) rather than a converted .iso or burned DVD.

Also try adding the following CPUID mask to your .vmx configuration file, we have seen some issues with the latest generation of Xeon E5 processors:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

I cannot think of an obvious reason why your ML will not boot, may be worth trying the downloaded InstallESD.dmg (which is supported in ESXi 5.1) rather than a converted .iso or burned DVD.

Also try adding the following CPUID mask to your .vmx configuration file, we have seen some issues with the latest generation of Xeon E5 processors:

Hello MSoK and thanks for your reply,

I've tried with the cpuid trick, and it doesn't do better. I will get back my InstallESD.dmg and try with it.

Hello MSoK and thanks for your reply,

I've tried with the cpuid trick, and it doesn't do better. I will get back my InstallESD.dmg and try with it.

Hi TZ,

Sounds like a plan, I have had the install hang or fail with converted media, let's hope installing from the DMG helps.

Unlocker works great with EXSi 5 U2. Thanks for all the hard work.

I've got a little suggestion for the esxi script to prevent shooting ourselves in the foot. "tar" has a "-C" parameter to specify changing to a directory before archiving. Instead of using "bin" for patching, use "temp/bin" instead. "tar" can then be called with "-C temp" added and the paths in the archive will be fine.

OK, I've tried with the regular DMG, but it doesn't complete the boot process. Everything goes fine, from partitioning the disk with Disk Utility and launching installation, but at the second boot, when the system has been installed, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and turning indicator.

I'm wondering if that's a matter of VM version, as it shows "VM version : vmx-09"...

OK, I've tried with the regular DMG, but it doesn't complete the boot process. Everything goes fine, from partitioning the disk with Disk Utility and launching installation, but at the second boot, when the system has been installed, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and turning indicator.

I'm wondering if that's a matter of VM version, as it shows "VM version : vmx-09"...

TZ,

This may be relevant as my OS X ML VM running on ESXi 5.1.0 (1021289) is showing VM Version: 8 and when I did try an "Upgrade Virtual Hardware" which updated to vmx-09 the OS X would no longer boot, unfortunately I do not think you can downgrade the VM Version, that is the warning you get when asked to "Confirm Virtual Machine Upgrade".

When I go to install a new OS X ML on to my ESXi 5.1.0 (1021289) it is showing the VM Version: 8

If your ESXi default is Virtual Machine Version: 9, mine is 8, you can do a custom install and during the "Create New Virtual Machine" process you can choose the Virtual Machine Version, so try building a new OS X ML setting the VM Version to 8.

Hope this helps

MSoK.

TZ,

This may be relevant as my OS X ML VM running on ESXi 5.1.0 (1021289) is showing VM Version: 8 and when I did try an "Upgrade Virtual Hardware" which updated to vmx-09 the OS X would no longer boot, unfortunately I do not think you can downgrade the VM Version, that is the warning you get when asked to "Confirm Virtual Machine Upgrade".

When I go to install a new OS X ML on to my ESXi 5.1.0 (1021289) it is showing the VM Version: 8

If your ESXi default is Virtual Machine Version: 9, mine is 8, you can do a custom install and during the "Create New Virtual Machine" process you can choose the Virtual Machine Version, so try building a new OS X ML setting the VM Version to 8.

Hope this helps

MSoK.

Still no luck with version 8 on an ESXi-5.1.0-799733-standard. Same symptom.

You can see the startup in verbose mode here :

screenclipe.png

• 2 weeks later...

Still no luck with version 8 on an ESXi-5.1.0-799733-standard. Same symptom.

TZ,

Not sure what to suggest, I built a brand new ESXi 5.1.0 U1 Build 1065491 released 25th April 2013, to test the new version with the "Unlocker" and OS X 10.8.3, a new install of OS X 10.8.3 all went well without issues, still at Virtual Machine Version 8, I will try upgrading to Version 9 when I get a chance.

If you can I would try doing a new ESXi build, ideally the latest version if possible.

TZ,

Not sure what to suggest, I built a brand new ESXi 5.1.0 U1 Build 1065491 released 25th April 2013, to test the new version with the "Unlocker" and OS X 10.8.3, a new install of OS X 10.8.3 all went well without issues, still at Virtual Machine Version 8, I will try upgrading to Version 9 when I get a chance.

If you can I would try doing a new ESXi build, ideally the latest version if possible.

Thanks MSoK, I've done all the latest updates on my ESX and managed to start the OS X VM on ESX 5.1 U1.

And thank you all for your time.

I could use some help. I upgraded from esxi 5.1 5.0 (with unlocker v100) to 5.1.0 U1. Ran the unlocker ver v110. It succeeded. Rebooted the esxi host.

My 10.7.x (believe it was 10.7.5) will not boot. I get a grey circle with a backward slash (like not allowed) through it. Guest shuts down after a bit :( I have not change the guest VM at all. Its on VM Version: 8.

Under VMWare Tools: is shows up as Not running (Unsupported) even with the guest powered off.

I could use some help. I upgraded from esxi 5.1.0 to 5.1.0 U1. Ran the unlocker ver v110. It succeeded. Rebooted the esxi host.

My 10.7.x (believe it was 10.7.5) will not boot. I get a grey circle with a backward slash (like not allowed) through it. Guest shuts down after a bit :( I have not change the guest VM at all. Its on VM Version: 8.

Under VMWare Tools: is shows up as Not running (Unsupported) even with the guest powered off.

madburg,

Initially after a clean install of ESXi 5.1.0 U1 and a new install of ML 10.8.3 I had a problem saying VMware Tools were not supported, however following a system reboot, and an uninstall of VMware Tools even though they were not installed, and a guest re-boot VMware Tools went on without issues. Do you have the facility to do a fresh install, I am wondering if the older version of VMware Tools has a problem with U1?

Alternatively it may be worth trying adding the following CPUID mask to your VMX configuration file:

Just in case U1 has changed the way it applies default masks

I am not running 10.7.5 as ML 10.8.3 performs much better under ESXi, but can if it helps!

Thanks for the reply MSok, I made an error last night I corrected my original post. I was on ESXi 5.0 with unlocker v100, Upgraded to ESX 5.1.0 and ran unlocker v110. I could not do a fresh install as I have a pretty complicated setup (vSwitchs, vlans, etc, etc...) and would be a nightmare to try a fresh install of ESXi 5.1.0 for me, hope you can understand.

The Lion 10.7.5 guest was running fine prior to the upgrade. I cannot boot it at all to try anything with VMTools. I just mentioned what I saw under the guest "Summary" page. I just checked now and see it showing up as "Not running", so it had to be when I tried to power it up and got the grey circle with a backward slash (like not allowed) and shut itself down.

Its really important to get it to boot up at least once, so I can get the data I need of it. Worse case scenario I can boot the VMDK via another guest i guess.

I don't see a cpuid.1.eax in my vmx, sorry if this pollutes the tread here is my vmx config:

If there is anything you can recommend removing/changing I could back this one up and modify and copy it up to the datastore. Many thanks in advanced.

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "8"

pciBridge0.present = "true"

pciBridge4.present = "true"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "true"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "true"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "true"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "true"

hpet0.present = "true"

nvram = "NYMAC01.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "NYMAC01"

extendedConfigFile = "NYMAC01.vmxf"

numvcpus = "2"

scsi0.present = "true"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "4096"

scsi0:0.present = "true"

scsi0:0.fileName = "NYMAC01.vmdk"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

sched.scsi0:0.shares = "normal"

sched.scsi0:0.throughputCap = "off"

ethernet0.present = "true"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.networkName = "Media"

ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:ab:96:f7"

usb.present = "true"

ehci.present = "true"

svga.vramSize = "33554432"

chipset.onlineStandby = "false"

smc.present = "true"

ich7m.present = "true"

firmware = "efi"

guestOS = "darwin11-64"

uuid.bios = "42 2b 13 0b 4d 4d 78 95-25 a1 9f 6b 7b e4 a5 b4"

vc.uuid = "50 2b 28 88 ef 85 88 bb-f6 2b c8 5c 92 37 e0 92"

log.fileName = "vmware.log"

snapshot.action = "keep"

sched.cpu.min = "0"

sched.cpu.units = "mhz"

sched.cpu.shares = "normal"

sched.mem.min = "0"

sched.mem.shares = "normal"

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

evcCompatibilityMode = "TRUE"

guestCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"

guestCPUID.1 = "000006f100010800000022090fabfbff"

guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"

hostCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"

hostCPUID.1 = "000106e5001008000098e3fdbfebfbff"

hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

replay.filename = ""

replay.supported = "FALSE"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.parent = "-1"

usb:1.port = "1"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.speed = "2"

userCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"

userCPUID.1 = "000106e500100800000022090fabfbff"

userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "33554432"

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

vmci0.id = "2078582196"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

uuid.location = "56 4d c2 de a8 46 9c 43-0e 2c 04 36 94 9d 9f 03"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4eaf7120-e9dcd2ba-85c9-00259034aab3/NYMAC01/NYMAC01-7c954bb9.vswp"

bios.forceSetupOnce = "FALSE"

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.fileName = "NYMAC01_1.vmdk"

scsi0:1.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

scsi0:1.redo = ""

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = ""

ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ide0:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"

ide0:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

bios.bootDelay = "5000"

softPowerOff = "FALSE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:0.deviceType = "hid"

usb:0.port = "0"

usb:0.parent = "-1"

Created a new Guest VM, to try Lion 10.8.3 dmg, upon start Igot the grey circle with a backward slash (like not allowed) immediately and then it shut itself down. Beginning to think the unlocker is messed up or didn't take properly (even though it stated succeeded).

Does this look right for ESXi 5.1.0 U1?

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0

==============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

Patching files...

Patching bin/vmx

File mapped @0x3ffedb4d010 length 16890352

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffee54c205

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffee54c23d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffee5902c6

Patching bin/vmx-debug

File mapped @0x3ffedb4d010 length 21347720

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffee675a45

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffee675a7d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffee6ba406

Patching bin/vmx-stats

File mapped @0x7416d0 length 19607592

Found OSK0 @ 0x1160b25

Found OSK1 @ 0x1160b5d

Found SRVR @ 0x11a63e6

Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform

Setting permissions...

Creating darwin.tgz...

bin/

bin/vmx

bin/vmx-debug

bin/vmx-stats

addr: 0, sz: 10442140, flags: 5

addr: 0x9f7044, sz: 2206780, flags: 6

bin/vmx: textPgs: 2549, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx

addr: 0, sz: 11667172, flags: 5

addr: 0xb2277c, sz: 2242564, flags: 6

bin/vmx-debug: textPgs: 2848, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-debug

addr: 0, sz: 10575212, flags: 5

addr: 0xa1665c, sz: 2371908, flags: 6

bin/vmx-stats: textPgs: 2581, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-stats

Adding darwin.tgz to boot.cfg...

Acquiring lock /tmp/bootbank.lck

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz

Editing /bootbank/boot.cfg to add module darwin.vgz

Please now reboot the host system!

Refuses to boot existing Lion 10.7.5 Guest VM, same for new 10.8.3 Guest VM. At a loss as to what is wrong :(

I am running an Intel Xeon x3470

Does this look right for ESXi 5.1.0 U1?

Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform

Yes that is perfectly normal there is on vmwarebase to patch on ESXi.

Yes that is perfectly normal there is on vmwarebase to patch on ESXi.

Thank you I wanted to make sure. So the patch installs, but I cannot get the existing or new VM guest's to boot... I have never done a 10.8.3 install yet. On ESXi 5.1.0 can you mount the InstallESD.dmg to the CD of the VM Guest and launch it to start setup? It did not boot for me in this way, so wanted to check how one goes about getting 10.8.3 on ESXi 5.1.0 installed (if anyone has a link?) I want to see if the unlocker patch is actually working or not.

Thank you I wanted to make sure. So the patch installs, but I cannot get the existing or new VM guest's to boot... I have never done a 10.8.3 install yet. On ESXi 5.1.0 can you mount the InstallESD.dmg to the CD of the VM Guest and launch it to start setup? It did not boot for me in this way, so wanted to check how one goes about getting 10.8.3 on ESXi 5.1.0 installed (if anyone has a link?) I want to see if the unlocker patch is actually working or not.

madburg,

Yes, you can mount the InstallESD.dmg file just as you would the .iso, select the CD/DVD drive in your OS X VM, and choose Datastore ISO File, change File type: to All files (*.*), and browse to the location of your .dmg. I normally create an iso directory on the ESXi host Datastore and copy the .iso or .dmg to that location for ease of access and speed.