nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (13 votes [22.03%])

Percentage of vote: 22.03%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (0 votes [0.00%])

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (1 votes [1.69%])

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (1 votes [1.69%])

13. Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems? (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

14. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK? (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

1. 100% on (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

2. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

3. Series 6 - 650i, 680i (9 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. 90% on (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

6. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (5 votes [8.20%])

7. 80% on (4 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

8. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (2 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

9. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

10. 70% on (1 votes [1.64%])

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

11. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 60% on (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (1 votes [1.64%])

16. 50% on (1 votes [1.64%])

17. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (1 votes [1.64%])

18. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

19. < 50% on (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Acceptably on 610i or 630i (0 votes [0.00%])

Is your Lion system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (33 votes [13.47%])

Percentage of vote: 13.47%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (6 votes [2.45%])

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (9 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

5. Video (25 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (26 votes [10.61%])

Percentage of vote: 10.61%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (28 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

8. Firewire (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (6 votes [2.45%])

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (14 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (5 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (6 votes [2.45%])

14. PCI NIC (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

15. eSATA (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

16. Bluetooth (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

17. WiFi (11 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

18. Time Machine (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

19. Overclocking (12 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x (17 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
seems to be working perfectly. crazy to think that a setting of 65mv could de-stabalize a system that way.

this has been long overdue, THANK YOU SO MUCH VERDANT. Seriously, I've learned so much from you. Thank you a hundred times over.

I'm gonna leave my PC on with a stress test while I go to work for the next 7-8 hours, but I'm hoping all will be fine when I return.

Also, to clarify for anyone else who may be having the same issues as me (doubtful), I didn't set each lane to 0, just set it to "Auto". In my case, the automatic setting puts lanes 0,2 and 3 at 0mv, and lane 1 at +65mv. (which, if i'm thinking correctly, is the data bus for cores 2 and 3.)

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

seems to be working perfectly. crazy to think that a setting of 65mv could de-stabalize a system that way.

this has been long overdue, THANK YOU SO MUCH VERDANT. Seriously, I've learned so much from you. Thank you a hundred times over.

I'm gonna leave my PC on with a stress test while I go to work for the next 7-8 hours, but I'm hoping all will be fine when I return.

Also, to clarify for anyone else who may be having the same issues as me (doubtful), I didn't set each lane to 0, just set it to "Auto". In my case, the automatic setting puts lanes 0,2 and 3 at 0mv, and lane 1 at +65mv. (which, if i'm thinking correctly, is the data bus for cores 2 and 3.)

Your appreciation for my help is very much appreciated.......thank you...... :wacko:

I hope your stress test shows that the Apogee Duet 2 USB is now working fine.......and thus shows that the nForce chipset is not the cause of every issue nForce MOBO owners face.......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
so I came home from work and everything was still working perfectly. I decided to open up logic to view a song I had been working on, and that's when the system froze. I think it was because I had itunes and logic open at the same time, though. Because I just rebooted and started logic up without issue. I'm hoping that this week everything will remain stable, because, honestly, I don't want to part ways with this board. I've had it for so long and put so much time into making it work.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

so I came home from work and everything was still working perfectly. I decided to open up logic to view a song I had been working on, and that's when the system froze. I think it was because I had itunes and logic open at the same time, though. Because I just rebooted and started logic up without issue. I'm hoping that this week everything will remain stable, because, honestly, I don't want to part ways with this board. I've had it for so long and put so much time into making it work.

That is good news.......;)

As for the system, how often is it that you would need to be using Logic and iTunes at the same time?....there are ways to accommodate the quirks of any MOBO and still be productive.......:)

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

That is good news....... :)

As for the system, how often is it that you would need to be using Logic and iTunes at the same time?....there are ways to accommodate the quirks of any MOBO and still be productive....... :)

Those wouldn't need to be running at the same time usually. However, the problems have crept back in. System is no longer stable on 4 cores. Random freezes when the Duet is connected. It looks like I will have to swap to an intel board after all ;) I really wish I could just use 1 cpu core, but whats the point of having a quad core. Plus, I need the processing power for rendering effects and such. All I want to change is the RAM and MOBO itself, will I have to reinstall lion or can I just modify my lion install (kexts and such) to work on the new board and then plug in the hard drives and boot from there? I would like to avoid reinstaling if that is possible.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

Those wouldn't need to be running at the same time usually. However, the problems have crept back in. System is no longer stable on 4 cores. Random freezes when the Duet is connected. It looks like I will have to swap to an intel board after all :D I really wish I could just use 1 cpu core, but whats the point of having a quad core. Plus, I need the processing power for rendering effects and such. All I want to change is the RAM and MOBO itself, will I have to reinstall lion or can I just modify my lion install (kexts and such) to work on the new board and then plug in the hard drives and boot from there? I would like to avoid reinstaling if that is possible.

Do you have to have all cores running when the Duet is connected......? Or, could you disconnect the Duet when needing to use all cores for rendering etc.....?

Did you see my earlier post on how I think you could do a Intel MOBO + RAM swap without a reinstall.....

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
I would need to have the duet connected when rendering (since I do real-time renders). I did not see that post, but I do now. Thank you so much, I'll let you know how it goes when the board and new RAM come in.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

I would need to have the duet connected when rendering (since I do real-time renders). I did not see that post, but I do now. Thank you so much, I'll let you know how it goes when the board and new RAM come in.

Interested to know if it all works out for you as hoped...... :D

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Hey Verdant. After many hours, I was able to get the motherboard in working order (damn intel push pins connectors for heatsinks, lol ). I got KP's on boot from not having NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (dumb mistake on my part). Then, the bootable USB would get stuck on PCI configuration begin. But I was able to fix both of those issues. I loaded into a minimal enviroment (-v -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048 arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000) and extracted DSDT, applied patches, and went to compile it. The system then rebooted itself randomly. I figured this was just due to the fact that the DSDT was not properly configured, so I saved the extracted DSDT.dsl file, and then compiled it on windows. No errors and no warnings, so I ported that back over to the lion drive and booted up. Chameleon loaded the DSDT, and lion booted up (faster than ever, suprisingly.) Graphics were fully enabled at 1920x1080. I was so happy. However, networking was not functioning. So I downloaded lnx2mac's driver for the realtek 8111D, copied it over to the lion drive, and began to run the package. The machine rebooted immediately as it was opening the package installer. So there we are, the new board looks pretty and runs slightly cooler, but randomly reboots itself for reasons unknown to me. I attached the DSDT.aml file that I'm using. (Keep in mind, however, the computer would reboot even when a DSDT wasn't loaded) Since that did occur, it's leading me to believe it's a bios-related error on my part.

Bios is set to AHCI native mode. C1E is enabled, as well as various other things I figured I would require for speedstepping. (TM2, EIST) HPET is set to 64-bit mode. ACPI is set to S3(STR). Virtualization is disabled. As far as i can tell, XD is disabled (although I don't see an option for it.) Do you think it's resetting because I'm running the RAM at 1600mhz? It's designed to run at that speed without overclocking, so I'm not sure why that would be a problem. Timings and voltages are set 100% to the manufacturers specs.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is driving me nuts (lol)

Attached File  DSDT.aml.zip   6.58KB   20 downloads

motherboard is a gigabyte s-series GA-p45t-ES3G (P45 northbridge, ICH10 southbridge) with a Q9300 cpu [at 3.0ghz so that the RAM and the FSB are at 1:1 (1600mhz)] now with 8GB of DDR3 RAM at 9-9-9-24 1.5V.

I know this is probably more geared towards one of the intel guys, but if it's an obvious thing I'm overlooking, maybe you can spot it, since you've been a genius throughout this whole process :)

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hey Verdant. After many hours, I was able to get the motherboard in working order (damn intel push pins connectors for heatsinks, lol ). I got KP's on boot from not having NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (dumb mistake on my part). Then, the bootable USB would get stuck on PCI configuration begin. But I was able to fix both of those issues. I loaded into a minimal enviroment (-v -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048 arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000) and extracted DSDT, applied patches, and went to compile it. The system then rebooted itself randomly. I figured this was just due to the fact that the DSDT was not properly configured, so I saved the extracted DSDT.dsl file, and then compiled it on windows. No errors and no warnings, so I ported that back over to the lion drive and booted up. Chameleon loaded the DSDT, and lion booted up (faster than ever, suprisingly.) Graphics were fully enabled at 1920x1080. I was so happy. However, networking was not functioning. So I downloaded lnx2mac's driver for the realtek 8111D, copied it over to the lion drive, and began to run the package. The machine rebooted immediately as it was opening the package installer. So there we are, the new board looks pretty and runs slightly cooler, but randomly reboots itself for reasons unknown to me. I attached the DSDT.aml file that I'm using. (Keep in mind, however, the computer would reboot even when a DSDT wasn't loaded) Since that did occur, it's leading me to believe it's a bios-related error on my part.

Bios is set to AHCI native mode. C1E is enabled, as well as various other things I figured I would require for speedstepping. (TM2, EIST) HPET is set to 64-bit mode. ACPI is set to S3(STR). Virtualization is disabled. As far as i can tell, XD is disabled (although I don't see an option for it.) Do you think it's resetting because I'm running the RAM at 1600mhz? It's designed to run at that speed without overclocking, so I'm not sure why that would be a problem. Timings and voltages are set 100% to the manufacturers specs.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is driving me nuts (lol)

motherboard is a gigabyte s-series GA-p45t-ES3G (P45 northbridge, ICH10 southbridge) with a Q9300 cpu [at 3.0ghz so that the RAM and the FSB are at 1:1 (1600mhz)] now with 8GB of DDR3 RAM at 9-9-9-24 1.5V.

I know this is probably more geared towards one of the intel guys, but if it's an obvious thing I'm overlooking, maybe you can spot it, since you've been a genius throughout this whole process :D

As you know from your nForce 680i chipset MOBO in BIOS, Execute Disable Bit option in BIOS should be set to [Enabled]......guess what Intel call Execute Disable Bit or eXecute Disable Bit......yes, you guessed it.....XD bit....so set XD to [Enabled] in BIOS......

I have not seen your BIOS options but typically for OS X without SpeedStepping set up, the key BIOS settings are:

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]
Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]
Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]
Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]
Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

I am looking at your DSDT.aml file now......

Here are your RTC, PIC, TMR fixed dsdt files:Attached File  RTC_PIC_TMR_Fixed_DSDT.zip   20.05KB   7 downloads

I have not patched it for Device (LPCB) for Intel SpeedStepping because although I believe Gigabyte DSDTs use Device (PX40) for the LPC Bridge, you need to confirm this for your MOBO......likewise, I have not done any changes for cosmetic reasons, or any other changes you may find are required.....

Enough one-off help with Intel chipset MOBO stuff......I am suffering nForce chipset withdrawal symptoms..... :)

Edited by verdant, 04 September 2011 - 03:24 AM.

Kn0s

Kn0s

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did anyone get sleep working on the p5n32-e sli plus (650i) board? thanks to the great help from verdant, this is about the only thing missing from my Lion install.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

Did anyone get sleep working on the p5n32-e sli plus (650i) board? thanks to the great help from verdant, this is about the only thing missing from my Lion install.

Sleep invariably does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs......thus, it does not work on my p5n32-e sli plus (650i) board.......

OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
verdant, do you have any idea why my shutdown/restart doesn't work? I have EvOreboot.kext right now but have tried OpenHaltRestart.kext and neither seem to work... any idea's why? My board is the P5N-D.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

verdant, do you have any idea why my shutdown/restart doesn't work? I have EvOreboot.kext right now but have tried OpenHaltRestart.kext and neither seem to work... any idea's why? My board is the P5N-D.

I cannot say off the top of my head, so try the following procedure:

[1] Confirm that both kexts are x86_64 versions using Kext Wizards Info function......

[2] Wherever you have placed either kext, reset the kext ownership and permissions.....

[3] If neither is working in /Extra/Extensions/ move them in /System/Library/Extensions/......reset the /S/L/E/ownership and permissions.....and recreate the kernelcache......suggest you use Kext Wizard.......

[4] Use Disk Utility to repair system permissions too.....

I should point out that the in-built Chameleon restart fix does not work for me........so I use eVoReboot.kext but my v1.1 Lion Support files includes both a 64bit eVoReboot.kext and a 64bit OpenHaltRestart.kext.....

OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Well this is stumping me now... they're both x86_64 versions and I've tried both in both places and still nothing... At least I can still use restart from the terminal but it still won't work from the Apple menu or from installers...

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

Well this is stumping me now... they're both x86_64 versions and I've tried both in both places and still nothing... At least I can still use restart from the terminal but it still won't work from the Apple menu or from installers...

Have you done any significant DSDT modding beyond the CMOS restart RTC fix....?

OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I don't have a DSDT as any time I try to compile one I get errors...

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,549 posts
    >
    >
    >

I don't have a DSDT as any time I try to compile one I get errors...

I have PM'd you your fixed DSDT...... :(

Edited by verdant, 10 September 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Sammy2317

Sammy2317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I know this is probably more geared towards one of the intel guys, but if it's an obvious thing I'm overlooking, maybe you can spot it, since you've been a genius throughout this whole process :(

Hi i have the same motherboard and was wandering if you could give me a quick guide on how you installed it. Keep getting a kernal panic so I used apple power null kext and now just get a grey screen

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Hi i have the same motherboard and was wandering if you could give me a quick guide on how you installed it. Keep getting a kernal panic so I used apple power null kext and now just get a grey screen

Surely. I'll try to help you in PM so that we don't derail verdant's thread further with intel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy