G73SW/G74SW Lion GM Install

jeffc2009

183 posts in this topic

so after running into issues with the reinstall i restored the image i had previously of lion.

I looked over plourde's boot.plist and tried some of his strings and now everything is working correctly....

i am able to get keyboard backlight to work - never worked

sleep works and able to resume from it without any odd issues or kp... no issues with kp from usb

hdmi audio still isn't working though... same as before, jeff i am using your audio files... i do think we have different sound cards between the 53 and 73 series, you have a higher end card i believe... but i can live without hdmi audio , that is unless you want to explain what i should change or look at.

the main difference in what i did was i added in

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Also just a random question, is there anyway to uninstall the cuda graphics update i installed? the damn pop pup is really annoying every time it boots, rather not have to do a reinstall just for that..... the stuttering graphics issues is gone as well. Thanks guys!

random question... i had disabled bluetooth in the bios previously, turned it back on ... and same thing, if i don't boot after running windows and then into osx , it won't work right? just errors when watching boot in verbose.... system finishes booting but bluetooth never shows..... Also any new install i do the graphics colors are usually all off/discolored but not distorted until i go into displays/color and pick generic rub..... anyone else have this happen? this has been that way since SL not just lion .... never heard anyone say anything about it.

Jeff i tried you dsdt and i still cant get my wifi to work, not sure what im doing wrong

There may be some slight differences in your model maybe not but just in case MalD0n can create one for you in a short period of time.

Get the "Run Me" from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Rename your DSDT to something else in your Extra folder then boot with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], then run the "Run Me" from MalD0n's thread attach it and he will get back to you quickly.

Use this program to compare the files but in dsl not aml format:

http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/index.html

so after running into issues with the reinstall i restored the image i had previously of lion.

I looked over plourde's boot.plist and tried some of his strings and now everything is working correctly....

i am able to get keyboard backlight to work - never worked

sleep works and able to resume from it without any odd issues or kp... no issues with kp from usb

hdmi audio still isn't working though... same as before, jeff i am using your audio files... i do think we have different sound cards between the 53 and 73 series, you have a higher end card i believe... but i can live without hdmi audio , that is unless you want to explain what i should change or look at.

the main difference in what i did was i added in

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Also just a random question, is there anyway to uninstall the cuda graphics update i installed? the damn pop pup is really annoying every time it boots, rather not have to do a reinstall just for that..... the stuttering graphics issues is gone as well. Thanks guys!

random question... i had disabled bluetooth in the bios previously, turned it back on ... and same thing, if i don't boot after running windows and then into osx , it won't work right? just errors when watching boot in verbose.... system finishes booting but bluetooth never shows..... Also any new install i do the graphics colors are usually all off/discolored but not distorted until i go into displays/color and pick generic rub..... anyone else have this happen? this has been that way since SL not just lion .... never heard anyone say anything about it.

G73SW have alc 269 with 8086:1c20, use system info app. As for your cuda, remove cuda.kext S/L/E. In system preferences, right click and remove cuda. There's no need for /Extra/dsdt.aml or /Extra/smbios.plist, because chameleon's default location. As far as your screen, don't know what to tell you. Have you used the one MaL0n gave you? Did it do the same? My bluetooth showed up after I installed Lion GM. It show up natively after I used my dsdt.aml. Things that required by is AppleACPIPlatform, IOBluetoothSerialManager.

Thanks Jeff working perfect in Lion GM

Never told me what new stuff you tried??

Jeff i tried you dsdt and i still cant get my wifi to work, not sure what im doing wrong

Do you have a ubuntu cd? Try to boot into ubuntu or windows and make sure it's working there!!!

G73SW have alc 269 with 8086:1c20, use system info app. As for your cuda, remove cuda.kext S/L/E. In system preferences, right click and remove cuda. There's no need for /Extra/dsdt.aml or /Extra/smbios.plist, because chameleon's default location. As far as your screen, don't know what to tell you. Have you used the one MaL0n gave you? Did it do the same? My bluetooth showed up after I installed Lion GM. It show up natively after I used my dsdt.aml. Things that required by is AppleACPIPlatform, IOBluetoothSerialManager.

Never told me what new stuff you tried??

Do you have a ubuntu cd? Try to boot into ubuntu or windows and make sure it's working there!!!

Yes Jeff i have an I.Q more than a sock, i still have snowleopard on a partition and windows, and wifi is working fine on the other systems lol, also with the package im using im getting benchmarks of 9500 to 10500, decent

@jeffc2009,

The file you just uploaded AICPM from DP4. I patched it and it runs perfect. Runs just like 10.6.8 no difference as far as I can see.

I removed NullAICPM and sleepenabler kexts!!

I took my hard drive out swapped out the DSDT for the G73 to the G74 MaLd0n created for me going to tigerdirect to try and see if I can boot this drive on a G74SX with the GTX 560M graphics card.

Yes Jeff i have an I.Q more than a sock, i still have snowleopard on a partition and windows, and wifi is working fine on the other systems lol, also with the package im using im getting benchmarks of 9500 to 10500, decent

The only difference between the two dsdt is the seconds in the file. These are the same one as I have?

What busratio? You are not using speedstep?

no busratio, i uploaded everything im using, and im not booting with any flags, check all i got out,

For you to get that kinds of scores you need a core i7 2720qm, unless you custom ordered one. If you are using MBP 8, 1 definitions, you are only limited to 2 cores, 4 threads. I am not going to sit here and guess what you did. If you don't want to share your info, write another thread on how you achieved that.

@Jeffc2009 WOW What a difference the spedstep made geekbench went from 7134 to 9831 my question is can I reinstall sleepenabler.kext now? or what I noticed you did not have a serial number C02FL7WZDF8V this one from MBP 8.2 at Best Buy

Thanks for serial number!!! No need for sleepenabler.kext with AICPUPM. Put it to sleep and see.

Thank you I just realized that my keyboard backlight works after sleep with the driver from the G74Sw and hit sleep out habit and figured it out Card reader is the only thing left to go and photo booth still does not work right and whats with the "drivers need to be updated pop up?

Thank you I just realized that my keyboard backlight works after sleep with the driver from the G74Sw and hit sleep out habit and figured it out Card reader is the only thing left to go and photo booth still does not work right and whats with the "drivers need to be updated pop up?

I noticed that too, but I am not sure what's going on with that! If you open skype or facetime, it's working right. But once you open photo booth, it's blocky. If I was going to guess, it's some type of zoom feature that we don't have the right drivers for. What drivers are you using from G74SW?

I noticed that too, but I am not sure what's going on with that! If you open skype or facetime, it's working right. But once you open photo booth, it's blocky. If I was going to guess, it's some type of zoom feature that we don't have the right drivers for. What drivers are you using from G74SW?

Here it is uninstall the ATK from windows install these then on the Lion side press Fn and f1 wait till the computer is asleep and backlight will come on after wake :) my USB 3.0 only seems to work if I shut down my computer and then take off the battery and power cord put back battery and power supply and reboot any fix for this?

ATKPackage_Win7_64_z100008.zip

thumb.tiff

@jeffc2009,

Amazingly your package works with G74SX. Audio/GFX/PowerManagment/Sleep etc.

WHat I was curious to see is your PCI device list. Do you have a way of displaying it?

Here is the G74SX:

osxfr33ks-MacBook-Pro:~ osxfr33k$ lspci -nn

pcilib: 0000:05:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

pcilib: 0000:05:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:0104] (rev 09)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:0101] (rev 09)

00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)

00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c2d] (rev 05)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c20] (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c10] (rev b5)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c12] (rev b5)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c16] (rev b5)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c1a] (rev b5)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c26] (rev 05)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c49] (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c03] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:1c22] (rev 05)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:1251] (rev a1)

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0bee] (rev a1)

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

04:00.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Unknown device [1b73:1000] (rev 04)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)

Here it is uninstall the ATK from windows install these then on the Lion side press Fn and f1 wait till the computer is asleep and backlight will come on after wake :P my USB 3.0 only seems to work if I shut down my computer and then take off the battery and power cord put back battery and power supply and reboot any fix for this?

Got a better solution for ya... Check op in a few mins. I am trying to get it uploaded right now. Sleep/backlit keyboard/lid close to sleep. And my OpenGL scores is backup along with the smoothness of 10.6.8. I pretty much got everything working like it should except SD card reader.

Sorry about that!! Ran into some error that I had to fix before i'll post it. Depends on who's got a copy of IOHIDFamily from 10.6.8.

jeff , the rune.zip won't let me download it ...i get ups driver error, so i need to boot from the boot disc to run the dsdt auto patcher, maybe thats where my problems have been coming from....

ill try to download it again later.... you get speedstep working yet with the DP4 ? Im getting random kernel panics again.... on boot sometimes it just does a slow gray screen fill then tells me to shutdown .... gotta love the randomness.

@jeffc2009,

The G73 and G74 are identical except the Graphics card I checked the LSPCI.

I am running the G74SX as I type on your Lion Package.

Is it possible we can change the title to G73/G74?

I have the DSDT.aml from MaLd0n which is really the only difference. Let me know what you think?

For Lion GM it works great with QE/CI but in 10.6.8 no QE/CI

Got a better solution for ya... Check op in a few mins. I am trying to get it uploaded right now. Sleep/backlit keyboard/lid close to sleep. And my OpenGL scores is backup along with the smoothness of 10.6.8. I pretty much got everything working like it should except SD card reader.

Yes if there is a better way lety me know the keyboard light is very important

Hello Gents, question - is there are particular G73SW model that works best? I noticed various models on Ebay. I am being "forced" to buy a mac for work purposes (developing games for iOS platform) and would rather not have to spend over 2k for a decent laptop rig. So, I guess my other question is, knowing more of my situation, would you recommend me using the G73SW as a MPB alternative for work?

If you need help with 10.6.8 go here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...0&start=266. If you don't understand any of those process, please read the whole thread before asking!!

I will not answer anything with 10.6.8 on this thread

Before we start, I would like to take a moment to thank MaLd0n and flAked for their contribution to this community. And to Plourde for posting a thread with 10.6.3 install.

Now to our pride and joy Lion 11A511 Gold Master.

Install for Lion on G73SW:

1. Make sure you have atleast 8 GB usb drive. Follow MaLd0n's instruction on how to create a "Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, Update Lion GM" Things to download from that site: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 (Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg.zip, Chameleon RC5 V1083, New Installer Extra Folder/MBP8,2, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement).

2. Restart, press "ESC", and choose to boot with USB you just created. When you get to chameleon boot screen choose "Mac OS X Base System" Make sure you choose GUID partition scheme in diskutil and format/name your drive "Lion". And follow the directions to finish OS X Install.

3. After you install, restart, press "ESC", and boot with the same USB. Once you see chameleon boot screen choose "Lion" or whatever you named it.

4. Download my package for almost perfect install. (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JQNPBSFJ)

5. For Nvidia GTX 460m download: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_C....0.19-macos.dmg plus my package. (Thanks guys for reminding me this) Delete AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from S/L/E. After you will have full acceleration!! Just remember, we don't have the official nvidia drivers nor cuda for Lion. So be patient!!!

GLViewer: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

Cuda-Z: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/fil...VN.dmg/download

6. For HDMI audio. Open apps/utilities/Audio MIDI setup. On left click HDMI, on right change format to 48000.0 Hz, 2ch-24bit, click on configure speakers and setup stereo(left front is 0 1 output stream/right front 0 2 output stream). Should have audio after this.

7. Speedstep working with AICPUPM 159. Thank you Regae for uploading AICPUPM!!!! Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FUN5IVX3. Remove E/E NullCPUPowerManagement, S/L/E Sleepenabler. Use Kext wizard to replace and backup AICPUPM, fix permission, and reboot. I will update this as soon as speedstep for Lion GM is released.

8. Here's a replacement DSDT.aml

9. No SD Card reader. I made it this far with a working system, and it's time for someone else to contribute alittle..

The purpose of this thread is to try to get everything working as close to a real macbook pro 8, 2 running Lion GM.

hi jeff for starters I was using a higher busratio so my apologies, I got your package installed and I'm using your dsdt with no flags, wifi for me still won't load, it shows it in my systems loaded extentions but does not work, could it have something to do with me having snow leopard on the same hard drive but different partition? Wireless works well in windows snow leopard and debian, thanks

Can someone upload IOHIDFamily from 10.6.8?

hi jeff for starters I was using a higher busratio so my apologies, I got your package installed and I'm using your dsdt with no flags, wifi for me still won't load, it shows it in my systems loaded extentions but does not work, could it have something to do with me having snow leopard on the same hard drive but different partition? Wireless works well in windows snow leopard and debian, thanks

Are you using my IO80211Family? Do you have IORegistry installed? Try this:

repair permission/diskutil then:

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

jeff , the rune.zip won't let me download it ...i get ups driver error, so i need to boot from the boot disc to run the dsdt auto patcher, maybe thats where my problems have been coming from....

ill try to download it again later.... you get speedstep working yet with the DP4 ? Im getting random kernel panics again.... on boot sometimes it just does a slow gray screen fill then tells me to shutdown .... gotta love the randomness.

I am currently working on a few fix due to kp from iohidfamily. But I had to revert back to some of 10.6.8 Files.

Anyone note that in Verbose mode it keeps running the -f (fix) on every boot or i it just me?

I think it from the 1083 package we had installed. I even revert back to older version and still does the same.

@jeffc2009,

The G73 and G74 are identical except the Graphics card I checked the LSPCI.

I am running the G74SX as I type on your Lion Package.

Is it possible we can change the title to G73/G74?

I have the DSDT.aml from MaLd0n which is really the only difference. Let me know what you think?

For Lion GM it works great with QE/CI but in 10.6.8 no QE/CI

Please let me know what you did differently with G74SW to get gfx working!!

Hello Gents, question - is there are particular G73SW model that works best? I noticed various models on Ebay. I am being "forced" to buy a mac for work purposes (developing games for iOS platform) and would rather not have to spend over 2k for a decent laptop rig. So, I guess my other question is, knowing more of my situation, would you recommend me using the G73SW as a MPB alternative for work?

I would say to get the bestbuy model that's around $1100 since you don't need 1080 for iOS!!