G73SW/G74SW Lion GM Install

jeffc2009

183 posts in this topic

If you need help with 10.6.8 go here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...0&start=266. If you don't understand any of those process, please read the whole thread before asking!!

I will not answer anything with 10.6.8 on this thread

Before we start, I would like to take a moment to thank MaLd0n and flAked for their contribution to this community. And to Plourde for posting a thread with 10.6.3 install.

Lion 11A511 Gold Master/*Retail install.

Install for Lion on G73SW/G74SW:

1. Make sure you have atleast 8 GB usb drive. Follow MaLd0n's instruction on how to create a "Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, Update Lion GM" Things to download from that site: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=256729 (Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg.zip, Chameleon RC5 V1083).

2. Restart, press "ESC", and choose to boot with USB you just created. When you get to chameleon boot screen choose "Mac OS X Base System" Make sure you choose GUID partition scheme in diskutil and format/name your drive "Lion". And follow the directions to finish OS X Install.

3. After you install, restart, press "ESC", and boot with the same USB. Once you see chameleon boot screen choose "Lion" or whatever you named it.

4. Make sure you are on Bios version Version 205. Download my package.

5. Use Chameleon Wizard within package and install 1228 version with boot0 (second option)

6. For Nvidia GTX 460m download and install: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/co ... _macos.dmg. After you will have full acceleration!! Just remember to delete AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from S/L/E.

GLViewer: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

Cuda-Z: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/ ... g/download

7. For HDMI audio. Open apps/utilities/Audio MIDI setup. On left click HDMI, on right change format to 48000.0 Hz, 2ch-24bit, click on configure speakers and setup stereo(left front is 0 1 output stream/right front 0 2 output stream). Should have audio after this. Delet AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E.

8. No SD Card reader. I tried but no go!

The purpose of this thread is to try to get everything working as close to a real macbook pro 8, 2 or 8, 3 running Lion GM.

What's working: Speedstep/ALC 269/Atheros 9285/GTX 460/USB 3.0 with full acceleration/backlit keyboard after sleep/HDMI plus Audio/Multitouch touchpad/Webcam/Ethernet/Sleep, lid close.

What's not working: SD Card reader.

If you need help with 10.6.8 go here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...0&start=266. If you don't understand any of those process, please read the whole thread before asking!!

I will not answer anything with 10.6.8 on this thread

Before we start, I would like to take a moment to thank MaLd0n and flAked for their contribution to this community. And to Plourde for posting a thread with 10.6.3 install.

Now to our pride and joy Lion 11A511 Gold Master.

Install for Lion on G73SW:

1. Follow MaLd0n's instruction on how to create a "Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, Update Lion GM" Things to download from that site: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 (Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg.zip, Chameleon RC5 V1083, New Installer Extra Folder/MBP8,2, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement).

2. Restart and choose to boot with USB you just created. When you get to chameleon boot screen choose "Mac OS X Base System" Make sure you choose GUID partition scheme in diskutil and format/name your drive "Lion". And follow the directions to finish OS X Install.

3. After you install, restart and boot with the same USB. Once you see chameleon boot screen choose "Lion" or whatever you named it.

4. Download my package for almost perfect install. (download link will be coming soon after I get off work)

5. For Nvidia GTX 460m download: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_C....0.19-macos.dmg plus my package. After you will have full acceleration!!

As for Speedstep, I am waiting for new Lion GM hack.!!! But if you can't do without speedstep, try 10.6.8!! I have that thing working fully.

hi jeff its plourde from tony mac, i got sleep working well did you manage to get it working. i didnt have to install anything to make acceleration work, the original drivers work well, hows the geekbench scores for you? the only fix i need is atheros 9285

hdmi audio out working as well, everythings working 100% i just need atheros fix, jeff want me to upload what i got for you to check out maybe something will help

hi jeff its plourde from tony mac, i got sleep working well did you manage to get it working. i didnt have to install anything to make acceleration work, the original drivers work well, hows the geekbench scores for you? the only fix i need is atheros 9285

hdmi audio out working as well, everythings working 100% i just need atheros fix, jeff want me to upload what i got for you to check out maybe something will help

Hey, just wondering did you test ur opengl? I had native resolution but it was tearing. No cuda, no acceleration. Might want to check. I didn't have acceleration until i had installed cuda and the hack.

Did you use AICPUPM from DP4? I was thinking about it, but had to wait...

@jeffc2009,

This one where you have to make a hex change to :

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver

Or just the:

QE_CI_Exotic patch for 10-1.7.0 11A511.pkg

or Both?

I like to know how it worked after a fresh install of Lion GM. No QE/CI.

Can you upload the AICPM.kext working for speed step please.

I might have to reinstall Lion since I installed the "Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg" originally and broke my desktop and thought that just moving the copy of extensions back over would fix this maybe not maybe its preventing QE/CI?

I'll wait for a post before I re-install

hey jeff, got my install up and running now on my g53sw

sleep causes it to freeze up and have gotten kp on reboots a couple times. Graphics, wireless, and audio are all working. The only thing i am noticing is that the touchpad seems to be erratic when it comes to the animations compared to when i used my mouse. and the animations/effects are not very smooth. Anything I need to do in order to fix that?

@jeffc2009,

This one where you have to make a hex change to :

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver

Or just the:

QE_CI_Exotic patch for 10-1.7.0 11A511.pkg

or Both?

I like to know how it worked after a fresh install of Lion GM. No QE/CI.

Can you upload the AICPM.kext working for speed step please.

I might have to reinstall Lion since I installed the "Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg" originally and broke my desktop and thought that just moving the copy of extensions back over would fix this maybe not maybe its preventing QE/CI?

I'll wait for a post before I re-install

Has anyone downloaded my package??? If you have installed retail drivers, just replace it with what had backup on your desktop when you installed retail drivers. Make sure to use kext wizard to repair permission and cache. Did you not read my op in regrads to AICPUPM?

hey jeff, got my install up and running now on my g53sw

sleep causes it to freeze up and have gotten kp on reboots a couple times. Graphics, wireless, and audio are all working. The only thing i am noticing is that the touchpad seems to be erratic when it comes to the animations compared to when i used my mouse. and the animations/effects are not very smooth. Anything I need to do in order to fix that?

are you using my kext's from my package? If not I am not sure what you did.

@jeffc2009,

I am sorry missed the package. Did a reinstall. Put your package in and installed Cuda. How can I tell if QE/CI is working?

I am not getting the Ripple effect when I go to Dashboard Manage widgets are you?

I ran Cuda-Z and Glview will that tell me if I have QE/CI? Where to look?

Oh do we need to remove the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

Thanks

I'll upload my stuff for you to look at ii had better luck with another package, restart and shutdown issues, either way I can't get wireless to work, the package im using works flawless with no tearing and without cuda I checked, my lion won't boot so ill be reinstalling again tonight, ill upload what I have as it's given me better results and tell me what you think

what i did was this...

clean install using mald0n's method

used your package with my dsdt

installed cuda update

thats all i did... haven't had issues with it going in kp without my logitech usb mouse... so maybe there is something with that... last kp i had was when i plugged in a usb drive with that plugged in and kp reported back iousbfamily

it all works, boots up fine , just no sleeping which i can care less about that... but the graphics being kinda stuttery when i roll over the dock and minimizing kinda sucks. and cuda tells me on every boot that its out of date, but can't reach the update server. thats the only thing bothering me at the minute

what i did was this...

installed cuda update

thats all i did... haven't had issues with it going in kp without my logitech usb mouse... so maybe there is something with that... last kp i had was when i plugged in a usb drive with that plugged in and kp reported back iousbfamily

it all works, boots up fine , just no sleeping which i can care less about that... but the graphics being kinda stuttery when i roll over the dock and minimizing kinda sucks. and cuda tells me on every boot that its out of date, but can't reach the update server. thats the only thing bothering me at the minute

ugh well i was copying a large file over to usb drive and then clicked on finder while it was just about to finish and just locked up... thinking i am having issues with the iousbfamily .... just sucks.... really close to fully functional install.

also hdmi audio not working it will let me set it as the output device and set the frequency and channels, but no volume control or audio ....

got my old P35-DSL3 system running lion with everything working besides sleep at least ;)

always the machine i want to work the most that gives me issues

what i did was this...

installed cuda update

Sorry, but I forgot to tell you to remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. As far as usb, I am not sure since you are using your own dsdt.aml. I am using my 10.6.8 that is verified by MaLd0n. For sleep i am using the sleepenabler in my package. When flAked can get a hack out for Lion GM, then we will have native power management through AICPUPM. Until then we are stuck, not unless u use AICPUPM from DP4!

@jeffc2009,

I am sorry missed the package. Did a reinstall. Put your package in and installed Cuda. How can I tell if QE/CI is working?

I am not getting the Ripple effect when I go to Dashboard Manage widgets are you?

I ran Cuda-Z and Glview will that tell me if I have QE/CI? Where to look?

Oh do we need to remove the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to tell you to remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I don't think there's ripple effect in Lion like Snow. If it is is due to AICPUPM not working correctly, but don't get me lying...

I'll upload my stuff for you to look at ii had better luck with another package, restart and shutdown issues, either way I can't get wireless to work, the package im using works flawless with no tearing and without cuda I checked, my lion won't boot so ill be reinstalling again tonight, ill upload what I have as it's given me better results and tell me what you think

That will be great!!

ugh well i was copying a large file over to usb drive and then clicked on finder while it was just about to finish and just locked up... thinking i am having issues with the iousbfamily .... just sucks.... really close to fully functional install.

also hdmi audio not working it will let me set it as the output device and set the frequency and channels, but no volume control or audio ....

got my old P35-DSL3 system running lion with everything working besides sleep at least ;)

always the machine i want to work the most that gives me issues

what version of voodoo are you using?? Can you copy and paste info.plist for me?

I don't think there's ripple effect in Lion like Snow.

There is a ripple effect still if you uncheck "Show Dashboard as a space" in System Preferences/Mission Control, and then open Dashboard and add a widget to verify QE/CI is working.

There is a ripple effect still if you uncheck "Show Dashboard as a space" in System Preferences/Mission Control, and then open Dashboard and add a widget to verify QE/CI is working.

Thank you westsdad for clarifying this!!

Thanks jeffc2009 and westsdad for the additional information to clarify things

I have to search for a DP4 AICPM kext. I want to patch that with stepper and try it for now. ANyone have a link for it? I'll keep searching.

Hey jeff, and plourde,

Glad to see you guys already working on Lion, Ill be getting in on this when its officially released, and help out what i can, I have been working on the sd card, in 10.6.8 but with no luck. I dont think its going to work, all the kexts for it or not for a Realtek card. But ill keep working and see what i can come up with.

See you guys soon.

Hey jeff, and plourde,

Glad to see you guys already working on Lion, Ill be getting in on this when its officially released, and help out what i can, I have been working on the sd card, in 10.6.8 but with no luck. I dont think its going to work, all the kexts for it or not for a Realtek card. But ill keep working and see what i can come up with.

See you guys soon.

If SD card reader is really important to you then try this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237068

hey jeff and anyone else that has had any issues, heres my link for what im using jeff look at it and see what you think, dsdt is a little different i think and same with my plist

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UGBVC1BF

for the life of me nothing will get my wireless working, worked perfect in 10.6.8 and the "Newer" wifi kext will not work, the old ond without wireless n works but what do you think the issue is for the new kext, thats the only thing not working, usb3 works great, if you decide to try this after install pull battery out for a min and usb3 will work, before you install chameleon, put extras folder in root, and install the kexts i added, install chameleon and reboot, remove apple graphics as jeff said, you shouldnt need to install any cuda drivers doing this, if anyone is having trouble installing, add the dsdt to the extras folder on the usb install as i have, thanks

hey jeff and anyone else that has had any issues, heres my link for what im using jeff look at it and see what you think, dsdt is a little different i think and same with my plist

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UGBVC1BF

for the life of me nothing will get my wireless working, worked perfect in 10.6.8 and the "Newer" wifi kext will not work, the old ond without wireless n works but what do you think the issue is for the new kext, thats the only thing not working, usb3 works great, if you decide to try this after install pull battery out for a min and usb3 will work, before you install chameleon, put extras folder in root, and install the kexts i added, install chameleon and reboot, remove apple graphics as jeff said, you shouldnt need to install any cuda drivers doing this, if anyone is having trouble installing, add the dsdt to the extras folder on the usb install as i have, thanks

Where's the io80211family?

jeffc2009,

would you happen to have an unpatched Lion DP4 AICPM next. I wanted to try something with it. If you only have a patched one I can try that to.

Thanks