Power Button & WOL Wakes in Lion (10.7)

rayap

69 posts in this topic

I am still getting the occasional short wake due to the RTC Alarm, I assume it is supposed to do this though?

A sleeping mac should (dark) wake up every couple of hours by RTC Alarm to refresh it's available services with a sleep proxy. Sleep proxies are available in Airport stuff or even in a mac. Use Bonjour Browser and watch.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else tried booting with the following kernel parameter:

darkwake=0

This looks like it switches off Low Power Wake entirely, i.e. reverting to Snow Leopard's behaviour which doesn't care about "wake reason" and the like. I can now wake my Lion box fully with a Wake-on-Lan app and the front power button (which didn't work before).

I just came across this in IOPMrootDomain.cpp in the latest XNU sources. It seems to be working for me so far (along with patched AppleRTC.kext). Running a GA-P55M-UD2 with DSDT from tonymacx86.

Any suggestions on how to put this into .Boot.plist??

I tried

<key>darkwake</key>
       <string>0</string>

but no success. Anybody?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I started using darkwake=0 and started running into trouble. On occasion when waking from sleep...all my usb ports are dead...meaning don't come back even after unplugging and plugging. I have to restart the computer to get USB functionality.

To experiment I changed my darkwake from darkwake=0 to darkwake=1. Now things seem to be working better. Can anyone with more knowledge of the darkwake command please tell me what exactly it does and what is the difference between darkwake= 0 vs 1. Thanks.

I am using the CMOS reset patch from rayap (first post). All was fine until i wanted to use WOL. When WOL is enabled in EnergySaver Preferences i am getting sleep issues. The system won't wake up after sleep. Pushing the Powerbutton results in a cold start and resume-from-disk. It seems Sleep-to-RAM is broken when enabling WOL.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I assume the problem exists because of the CMOS Reset Patch?

I am using the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from SL. WOL works with it, but scheduled Wake is messed up, when activated. The Machine doesn't sleep to ram. If WOL is turned off, all is fine.

EDIT: i trashed the SnowLeopard AppleRTL8169.kext and installed the lnx2mac 0.9 kext. Sleep to RAM works now, when WOL is activated. I used the AppleRTL kext cause i had major sleep issues with the lnx2mac 0.67 kext in the past. It seems it's the other way around now :D

The only problem now is the known one: If darkewake is = 0 , the Machine will go back to sleep after waking up via WOL cause of "wake reason = ?"

I guess i'll have to use darkwake=1. Will the Machine wake up hourly if darkwake=1 is set? The Machine usesd to wake up hourly to update some bonjour service stuff.

hey, i was able to solve the "wake reason = ?" in a friends PC after realizing that the boot loader that load the lion, wasn't the main boot loader (bios read from another hard-disk, and also the partition wasn't the active one)

do you have any other Chameleon other then the Lion one?

No, i only have one boot loader installed and active. I had to patch and compile it myself to get proper wake-from-disk, this was messed up since Lion.

I had a kernel panic with lnx2mac's Realtek Driver after waking up via WOL from my iPhone. Damn, it seems there is no WOL solution for me :)

Is it even possible to have WOL without the frequent auto wake-ups to tell that it's still alive and hosting some services? (the system wakes every 2-4 hours and goes back to sleep after some seconds)

I just want WOL, no frequent auto wake-ups.

@ rayap

NICE, thanks. I'll try that ASAP.

EDIT: That didn't work. The System woke up every two hours anyway. But, shouldn't it look like this? I'll try and report :)

<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
			<string>/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder</string>
			<string>-launchd</string> 
			<string>-DisableSleepProxyClient</string>
	</array>

Above entry works :)

But i get KP sometimes after wake :( Anyone else experiencing this with lnx2macs driver? Never had this with the AppleRTL8169 Driver before.

It seems the KP only happened after WOL. I have disabled WOL for now and will test if the KP happens with "normal" wake too. I'll make a Screenshot if it happens again and will send it to the author.

• 2 weeks later...

I use darkwake=1, and when I use share my screen to wake up the system,

I get: Wake reason: PEX2 PEX4 PEX5

When I check with IORegistryExplorer, I can only see PEX0, PEX1, PEX3 instead of 2,4,5.

My Ethernet card was in PEX0.

Sometimes, the system will goes back to sleep again in couple minutes.

My ethernet card is Intel CT9301.

Don't know how to solve it.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the root cause of the problem when wake up by "Share my screen" function.

I check the system log, and found that after 4mins , the "please sleep.app" will ask system to sleep.

That's why the system back to sleep after couple minutes.

Did anyone use "Pleasesleep.app" and have the same problem?

• 1 month later...

The only problem now is the known one: If darkewake is = 0 , the Machine will go back to sleep after waking up via WOL cause of "wake reason = ?"

I guess i'll have to use darkwake=1. Will the Machine wake up hourly if darkwake=1 is set? The Machine usesd to wake up hourly to update some bonjour service stuff.

ApexDE:

My machine still wake up every 2 hours when I set darkwake=1.

Did you use PleaseSleep? I found this program was a little buggy.

When I wake up my system via WOD with PleaseSleep enabled, the system will sleep again in 1min.

So, I have to disable PleaseSleep right after I wake up the system via WOD.

• 2 months later...

posting this one here, i am having problem on waking from sleep, all is well from sleep and my hack wake, but my network seems to be dead. Network established connection from my router, but there is no internet connectivity. Hope someone can provide some thoughts

ASUS p5kpl am

E8500

4G

GTS450

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext loaded

• 7 months later...

Hi I started using darkwake=0 and started running into trouble. On occasion when waking from sleep...all my usb ports are dead...meaning don't come back even after unplugging and plugging. I have to restart the computer to get USB functionality.

To experiment I changed my darkwake from darkwake=0 to darkwake=1. Now things seem to be working better. Can anyone with more knowledge of the darkwake command please tell me what exactly it does and what is the difference between darkwake= 0 vs 1. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. I tried using "11","10","0", and "no" with no avail. I was only successful waking from auto-sleep with darkwake=1.