• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

nissefar

nissefar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Installed a cheap nVidia GT220 in the 945GCM-S2L setup. Status is same as with GMA950 graphics (Lion 11A511). Power button wakes are successful but for WOL system re-sleeps.

I do think that is intended behavior however.

If I wake my Mac Mini with Wake on LAN, it doesn't turn on the display, either. It stays in low power mode. Same if I access the Mini for Apple file sharing. It's on, but keeps the graphics off.

This is because Apple designed Lion only to turn on the display on user interaction.

If I wake my Mac Mini for Remote Mangement, the does display turn on.

The problem is how fast a hackintosh returns to sleep. It returns almost instantly, exactly because the wake reason isn't recognized.

So the problem isn't that WOL doesn't wake the display (it's per design), the problem is that WOL and Power Button isn't recognized as a proper wake reason, which makes it go back to sleep instantly.

You should check your console in Lion on the S2L and check what Wake Reason it gives you when you wake it with Power Button or WOL. If you get "?", it has the problem. If you get PWRB or PXS1 or something, then it works as it should.

antipop2323

antipop2323

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
I agree with you that it isn't graphics card related, and all likely is the low power mode that you've mentioned, but I'm tellin' yah, my power button wakes return to sleep with a wake reason of ? but also wakes from my magic trackpad also returns to sleep (no hid tickle, graphics suppressed) with the wake reason defined.... (unless I double click)... IMO it's the same problem, regardless of wake reason.

nissefar

nissefar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Well, if you only press the trackpad once, and it goes back to sleep, you should probably have "Wake Reason: ?" in the console. At least if you don't I have no clue what's going on.

antipop2323

antipop2323

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Yah, but it's Wake reason: IGBE HDEF USE2 for magic trackpad, yet no HID tickle and graphics are suppressed...yet w/ Apple Wireless Keyboard it's same wake reason, w/ HID ticke, and thusly wakes up... tis bizarre, since one would think they'd be quite comparable devices.... Power button is wake reason ? with no HID tickle & graphics suppressed like the both of you... I haven't tried WOL, as I don't believe the lan kext I use is supports WOL.

nissefar

nissefar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Yah, but it's Wake reason: IGBE HDEF USE2 for magic trackpad, yet no HID tickle and graphics are suppressed...

I would be pretty sure if you pressed it just *once*, let it go back to sleep, then it would give you Wake Reason:? Somewhere in the console. So yeah I think it's all part of the same problem. I was hoping it could be fixed with some DSDT code, but I don't have any clue how that could be done.

yet w/ Apple Wireless Keyboard it's same wake reason, w/ HID ticke, and thusly wakes up... tis bizarre, since one would think they'd be quite comparable devices.... Power button is wake reason ? with no HID tickle & graphics suppressed like the both of you... I haven't tried WOL, as I don't believe the lan kext I use is supports WOL.

WOL doesn't need kext support (I think), the only thing kext support does is enable bonjour proxy wake. Any motherboard though can do WOL if you just enable it in the BIOS.

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I do think that is intended behavior however.

Agreed. This Apple article 'Wake on Demand' gives an insight on their ways.

You should check your console in Lion on the S2L and check what Wake Reason it gives you when you wake it with Power Button or WOL. If you get "?", it has the problem. If you get PWRB or PXS1 or something, then it works as it should.

In S2L, as stated before the Power Button Wake Reason is 'power-button' in the Diagnostic and Usage Messages and 'power-button (User)' in Kernel log. The is no 'HID Tickle' required for power-button wakes.
And for WOL the Wake Reason is of course '?'. The problem is it does not stay awake even if graphics are suppressed. It re-sleeps fast. Remote Desktop Wakes fail in a similar manner if this target is sleeping.
Attached File  D_UMsgs_PB.tiff   183.61KB   35 downloads
Attached File  KernelMsg_PB.tiff   49.01KB   25 downloads

In DS4P setup for the record, all manner of Wakes work in SnowLeopard, although the Wake Reason is left blank for power-button and WOL.

Another useful Macworld article. http://www.macworld...._on_demand.html

antipop2323

antipop2323

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
hey guys, i was playing a DSDT generated through mald0n's dsdt autopatcher as opposed to my own personally edited one, and came up with some uniquely different wake problems than before, which i found quite interesting.... 1 power button click, as opposed to waking without graphics and going back to sleep, instead woke up to a black screen w/ spinning beach ball and stayed awake, spinning indefinitely. also, 1 click of wireless trackpad the graphics were suppressed, but instead it did not go back to sleep.... the fans continued to spin... with an additional click it became stuck w/ the blue screen when graphics are initializing.

Mustang Sally

Mustang Sally

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
this thread fixed my sleep issues in lion on my p5qpro

here post 72

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Yes, that's essential too. But we are dealing with something different here. The reason, why the Computer doesn't stay alive after PWR Button wake is that Lion doesn't recognize the Wake-Reason (Power Button), so it goes to sleep immediately again.

I guess there must be a way to fix this with DSDT. Can someone with working PWR Button wake post his DSDT please? Please post your "Wake reason:" from system log also after waking with PWR Button.

nissefar

nissefar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I've tried looking around in DSDTs from other boards and Apple DSDTs as well, but I didn't find anything that seemed to make a difference. But again I'm not that experienced with DSDT editing...

Would be nice if we could get some help from some of the experts. This thing feels pretty much dead in the water, which is unfortunate, as it leaves many home built Macs without full functionality...

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Do you have a DSDT from a board where PWR-Button-wake is confirmed working?

nissefar

nissefar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
No, unfortunately I don't have that lying around. I can't remember where I got one from when I was looking into it.

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Do you have a DSDT from a board where PWR-Button-wake is confirmed working?

Power button wakes work on the GA-945GCM-S2L. Typical auto-patcher stuff dsdt. Here you go!

Attached File  dsdt945.dsl.zip   10.03KB   46 downloads
See Post# 26 for more details.

ianmc81

ianmc81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Has anyone else tried booting with the following kernel parameter:

darkwake=0

This looks like it switches off Low Power Wake entirely, i.e. reverting to Snow Leopard's behaviour which doesn't care about "wake reason" and the like. I can now wake my Lion box fully with a Wake-on-Lan app and the front power button (which didn't work before).

I just came across this in IOPMrootDomain.cpp in the latest XNU sources. It seems to be working for me so far (along with patched AppleRTC.kext). Running a GA-P55M-UD2 with DSDT from tonymacx86.

antipop2323

antipop2323

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
omg i love you

sbg

sbg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 65 posts

darkwake=0

Works for me. This is awesome! :D

Guntars

Guntars

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks ianmc81, works like a charm! I have been waiting long time for solution how to disable Low Power Wake!
My hack wake ups from PWR button, from bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and also WOL works!

Thanks!!!

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Nice find! Many users had the "darkwake" issue. This Thread should be made sticky.

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

darkwake=0

@ianmc81
Your first post is a knock-out blow. Thanks for the good reading of the cpp and the great find!. Now I can give up looking at a solution to wake reason = ? for my DS4 setup.

ianmc81

ianmc81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's my pleasure, glad this is useful to others! I rely heavily on WOL and this was my final outstanding issue with my Lion install. So today I am a happy bunny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy