[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

My battery doesn't really seem to lock very securely, I can pull it off without unlocking it, the slider only ever stays in the middle too (I assumed it should move all the way to one side when it is locked.

Hmm..., no I've never had that problem. The clip is probably stuck. Can't help you there then, sorry.

Remove the battery and try moving the slider all the way to the other side. If you can, they it's battery's locking mechanism that's the problem and not the one on the laptop itself.

I'm working on a new system right now:

It's an HP DV6-6153CA

Intel i5-2410M processor, 2.3 GHz, 3MB Cache

6 GB DDR3 SDRAM

750 GB SATA, 5400 rpm

1 GB (dedicated) Radeon HD 6490 switchable graphics with Intel HD Graphics 3000

Beats Audio (IDT)

2 USB 3.0 ports

2 USB 2.0 ports

I've got SL installed on it, but no proper screen resolution & QE/CI yet (even though it's the same ATI card in the MBP 2011!)

I'll be paying more attention to this system till mid september, but I'll try to help out either way if necessary.

Okay, I just tried CharlieSheen's Lion IO80211Family kext and it doesn't work. It says that there isn't any wireless hardware available.

The only IO80211Family kext that works is the one from Snow Leopard. It uses the AirPortBrcm43224 plugin to work.

In the Lion IO80211Family kext, the AirPortbrcm4331 plugin contains my wireless cards PCI id but it doesn't seem to work. I tried adding it to the AirPortBrcm43224 plugin but that didn't work as well.

First of all, thanks to CharlieSheen for instructions to install and configure the dell 1558 with Lion !

Now, I want to know if the steepstep is working on my computer, which is difficult to know :)

I know I can use MSRTools, but is not working on 64 bits. My 1558 only boot with arch=X86_64. When I use arch=i386 I got Kernel Panic...

Do you know another tool ? Thanks

[edit] Finally, arch=i386 is working sometime since I use Chameleon V2 RC5 v11xx. [/edit]

capturedcran20110816211.png

Do you think that speedsted and turbo speed are working properly ? GeekBench seems to have a score similar to CharlieSheen, but MSR Tools was not showing 8 cpu, and datas seems to show wrong..

BTW, the line "Actual Frequency" change near to 100% when I use the cpu (during geekBench for example).

When it's idle, "Actual Frequency" is 58,3%, and change sometime....

Do you thinks that it's OK ?

I'm wondering why MSR Tools never shown 2,8 Ghz during the benchmark for example...

Thanks !

CharlieSheen, your power management kext works brilliantly. I get an idle temperature of 55 degs celsius now and it you can hardly hear it pur!

I've left those attempts at getting AirDrop to work. It's too much effort and I'm sure I'd hardly use it.

my dw1510 works perfectly ;)

Should the card reader be working?

There is a VoodooSDHC kext that you can try for Ricoh card readers (the one we have), but it hasn't worked for me in the past with SL. You're welcome to try it out though: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,543.0.html

VoodooSDHCI is still in my System/Library/Extension folder, but it not seems to be loaded by the system (Lion).

I also tested with the -f parameter on chameleon, but nothing....

Did you install it with Kext Helper? If yes, then sorry, can't help. It didn't work for me either.

VoodooSDHCI.kext was installed with Kext Wizzard, on the S/L/E.

After install, i fix permissions and cache.

This file is correctly installed in the system, but it's not loaded by Lion.

I'm wondering how the system know which files are need to loaded... Probably the kext is not used because the hardware is not detected, or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
do you guys have a dsdt with correct p states for the 720qm cpu? i would like to get my speedstep working also does the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext work for all gpu's or only for the 5470?

You're better off asking Mald0n for the dsdt fix. You could try the dsdt posted here by CharlieSheen but I'm not sure how related it is to only this CPU & GPU.

On another note, I'm still facing kps from ATI5000Controller kext. A temporary fix is booting with verbose or booting with safe mode and then rebooting normally. Slows you down though..

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your valuable information, helped me installing Lion on Dell 1558!

I have an annoying problem that my BIOS settings are not preserved. Lion will override my BIOS setting while shutdown/restart. I hope to get Fn Key First instead of Multimedia Key First, but I have to manually set them on every boot via F2.

I have occasional kernel panic too. Seems that the best route for me is to restore BIOS default, set my Fn key, and then boot by -v -f.

i successfully installed lion 10.7.1 on my studio 1558, thanks to you guys for making all the required kexts etc...i have qe/ci full 1080p resolution...i used charlie's r1 pack.

i have an i5 450m processor.i installed the dsdt charlie provided ,no kps till now...but is it recommendable to use his dsdt since i have a different processor??? how to check i have speedster n turboboost working or not???my ricoh card reader isn't working :blink: , any solution???

thank u guys !!!! :)

Hello all.

You all seem to be doing so well with the Dell 1558 I may well jump on the bandwagon. It seems to be one of the best laptops for Lion.

One quick question; I've read all the posts that say the ATI 5470 works, but can someone confirm you can successfully run an external monitor (as a dual screen not mirrored) under Lion?

Thanks

Rich

i successfully installed lion 10.7.1 on my studio 1558, thanks to you guys for making all the required kexts etc...i have qe/ci full 1080p resolution...i used charlie's r1 pack.

i have an i5 450m processor.i installed the dsdt charlie provided ,no kps till now...but is it recommendable to use his dsdt since i have a different processor??? how to check i have speedster n turboboost working or not???my ricoh card reader isn't working :) , any solution???

thank u guys !!!! :rolleyes:

If you read through this thread I believe CharlieSheen mentions that the dsdt is meant for only the i7 processor. Sorry.

Again, if you read through this thread, I've attached a link to the VoodooSD card kext that the Voodoo team have made. While it hasn't worked for me and another person here, you're always welcome to try it yourself.

Hello all.

You all seem to be doing so well with the Dell 1558 I may well jump on the bandwagon. It seems to be one of the best laptops for Lion.

One quick question; I've read all the posts that say the ATI 5470 works, but can someone confirm you can successfully run an external monitor (as a dual screen not mirrored) under Lion?

Thanks

Rich

Hoolock seems to work for most people, but there are exceptions (like me) where it causes kps. I'm currently using Zonalis because I don't get any kps with it though HDMI video doesn't work. I haven't tried VGA with any personality though.

lifelike thanks for the info mate....

can i still get qe/ci by uninstalling this dsdt i installed from charlie sheen's pack??? can u guide me on where can i get a custom dsdt for my 1558???

ctried the sd card reader kext..dint work for me either :)....forgot to mention tht my battery is draining instantly...

lifelike thanks for the info mate....

can i still get qe/ci by uninstalling this dsdt i installed from charlie sheen's pack??? can u guide me on where can i get a custom dsdt for my 1558???

ctried the sd card reader kext..dint work for me either :( ....forgot to mention tht my battery is draining instantly...

For a custom DSDT I guess you could trouble Mald0n about that. He usually helps out people with modifying their DSDT. "Uninstalling" the DSDT just requires you to delete the dsdt.aml file in /Extra folder.

Sorry but I guess there isn't any hope for your SD card reader. If you need it desperately, dual boot OS X with Windows 7 since the drivers are available for it on Windows.

Have you tried CharlieSheen's modified version of the Apple Graphics Power Management kext to fix your battery problem?

Hello guys!

I friend of mine have one of this DELL notebook, and I did a Lion 10.7.1 install with the files posted here. Works pretty good, all less wifi and card reader. I do use the last Chimera 1.5.4, I have to use an older?

But I do have some issues:

1. The audio not work with AppleHDA, and I got KPs with VoodooHDA 2.7.2 even when I already I have deleted AppleHDA. Only good with -v, but the sound only works by the line-out (headphones) and HDMI do not work, not sound nor image. Works with the same problem, but without any KP with an older VoodooHDA 0.2.1

2. Detect plugged a via monitor.

3. Sometimes can't load any CD or DVD

There's any solution for these problems?

Thanks a lot!

Roy

Hello guys!

I friend of mine have one of this DELL notebook, and I did a Lion 10.7.1 install with the files posted here. Works pretty good, all less wifi and card reader. I do use the last Chimera 1.5.4, I have to use an older?

But I do have some issues:

1. The audio not work with AppleHDA, and I got KPs with VoodooHDA 2.7.2 even when I already I have deleted AppleHDA. Only good with -v, but the sound only works by the line-out (headphones) and HDMI do not work, not sound nor image. Works with the same problem, but without any KP with an older VoodooHDA 0.2.1

2. Detect plugged a via monitor.

3. Sometimes can't load any CD or DVD

There's any solution for these problems?

Thanks a lot!

Roy

For your audio, try this version of VoodooHDA and modify it like the post says to. That's what I'm using right now. Chimera 1.5.3 works fine.

If the CD/DVD isn't detected, open Disk Utility and that sort of forces OSX to read the CD which then makes it appear on the destop - this is just what I've noticed and I do to get it to work, can't guarantee it.

For the monitor, if you're talking about VGA as far as I know it doesn't detect and HDMI works with specific ATI personalities. Hoolock is your best option.

For your audio, try this version of VoodooHDA and modify it like the post says to. That's what I'm using right now. Chimera 1.5.3 works fine.

If the CD/DVD isn't detected, open Disk Utility and that sort of forces OSX to read the CD which then makes it appear on the destop - this is just what I've noticed and I do to get it to work, can't guarantee it.

For the monitor, if you're talking about VGA as far as I know it doesn't detect and HDMI works with specific ATI personalities. Hoolock is your best option.

Thank you for your quick reply!!!

I'm sorry, right I mean VGA monitor. I'm using Hooklock on boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and HDMI don't work, and as said before detect as I do have a VGA monitor, there is another framebuffer to try with this graphic card?

I didn't see where is the info to modify the voodooHDA, could you please upload the modified file? that's would be great!

Thanks again for your support!

Roy

Thank you for your quick reply!!!

I'm sorry, right I mean VGA monitor. I'm using Hooklock on boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and HDMI don't work, and as said before detect as I do have a VGA monitor, there is another framebuffer to try with this graphic card?

I didn't see where is the info to modify the voodooHDA, could you please upload the modified file? that's would be great!

Thanks again for your support!

Roy

Here is the modifited VoodooHDA kext: VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Try using Zonalis (which is what I'm using). There is also Orangutan and Langur to try if those don't help. Otherwise, sorry, no luck then.

Finallly, I used System Info to check the ricoh card reader. The deviceID is e822 on my laptop whereas it is 0822 in thee VoodooSDHI.kext. I edited the info.plist and now the card reader is reconized. I can see the kext loaded with the system.

BTW, system become unresponsible when I put a SD card, so I need to restart. If I keep the card on the reader, system never boot.